Welcome Guest!
 FOS Forum
Re: free software v. open source  Andrew Klaassen
 Feb 01, 2002 11:53 PST
On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:38:03PM -0500,
Peter Suber wrote:

 Andrew: The FOS community is far behind the software
community in thinking about what "open access" licenses should
say and whether it's a good idea to let many different models
coexist. I think you're right that we'll end up with multiple
models. I just hope that the proponents of the different
models are willing to let different authors, archives, and
journals go in different ways --as long as readers have free
online access to the texts.

The FOS community has one major advantage over the software
community in that it knows in advance the pitfalls that can come
from small but significant incompatibilities between licenses
created to serve different parts of the community. There's a
real opportunity here to design multiple copyrights which serve
the multiple needs and address the multiple concerns of
different parts of the community, while remaining mutually
compatible.

As you say, it'll be a matter of convincing the different parts
of the community that it's to everyone's advantage to respect
each other's point of view, and to design copyrights with that
mutual respect in mind.

Andrew Klaassen