Welcome Guest!
 FOS Forum
Opposite of "free"  Peter Suber
 Jun 28, 2001 17:31 PDT
Forwarding from Barry Mahon

 Peter Suber wrote:

 Language questions

* The more I read about these issues, the more I encounter electronic
publishers and content brokers using the phrase "monetize your content".
This means "charge money for your content". If you were a publisher, you
might want to generate revenue from your publications. But wouldn't
you also
 want to give the impression that you were literate?

* The more I write on these issues, the more I need a good, plain English
adjective which means the opposite of "free" (as in "free of
charge"). Help
 me out here. If scholarship isn't free of charge, then

 it's ________ (no points for "inaccessible", "confined", or "unread").

To answer your question I looked up Roget and found many options but the
best IMO was "priced"

Bye, Barry Mahon, Executive Director ICSTI (International Council for
Scientific and Technical Information)

P.S. like the newsletter, but a little less "publisher bashing"??