Welcome Guest!
 Grub&Grog
Correct Me When I've Been Wrong...  Topica Editorial
 Dec 14, 2000 15:43 PST
========================
Grub & Grog Newsletter
========================

by Jenny Baker (jen-@get.topica.com)

Ever needed to know what kind of fish is a good substitute for mahi
mahi? Or maybe you wondered if buttermilk really contains actual butter
in it? Perhaps you were in a flower shop looking at carnations and found
yourself thinking they looked good enough to eat.

OK, maybe you've never wondered about consuming carnations (which,
incidentally, you can, and supposedly they taste peppery), but at some
point in your life, you've surely come across a food or cooking question
or two and not known where to look for an answer. You need never be at a
loss again -- today's site, the Cooking Thesaurus, is one of the most
useful and comprehensive food sites I have seen in a long time.

The site works more like a dictionary or encyclopedia than a thesaurus,
but what are picky semantic concerns in light of the wealth of info
here? Whatever cooking equipment or foodstuff you've ever had a question
about is probably covered here. Just choose the category that covers
your query (be it vegetables, fruits, dairy, meats, fish, grains, fats &
oils, and more), click the link, and look up your topic alphabetically.
Many entries even have accompanying photos to help you out in learning,
for instance, just what an ugli fruit (correct spelling) really looks
like. In addition to the basic facts about the food entries covered
here, you can also find out acceptable recipe substitutes for them.

And FYI, buttermilk does not contain butter, and either shark or
monkfish is a decent substitute for mahi mahi.

Learn more here: http://www.foodsubs.com/

Your Replies:

Several of you pointed out to me that I was off base with yesterday's
email. Why? Because the 12 Days of Christmas apparently don't begin
before that holiday, but rather after, thus putting the 12th Day of
Christmas on or around January 6th (a.k.a. Epiphany). I don't know what
Epiphany is, but I like the sound of it, so thanks for sending in your
corrections! Here's one of them.

Verlie writes: "The twelve days of Christmas end on January 6th -- what
we older folks used to call 'Old Christmas' and a German friend of mine
calls 'Little Christmas.' Counting back from that, I make Boxing Day the
first day of Christmas, which doesn't really make sense -- I always
understood that Christmas Day was the first day of Christmas, but I
never actually counted it out before! In fact, by that token, January
6th would be the 13th day of Christmas..."

The mystery thickens! Further clarification welcome.

Related Info at Topica

Food & Drink Channel (the best content on edibles and drinkables)
http://www.topica.com/channels/food/

TipWorld Food & Cooking Tips (great cooking tips and more)
subscribe: mailto:tipworld-foodp-@topica.com