Welcome Guest!
 Grub&Grog
Kung Hei Fat Choi!*  Topica Editorial
 Jan 12, 2001 16:09 PST
========================
Grub & Grog Newsletter
========================

by Jenny Baker (jen-@get.topica.com)

I'll admit that this week's menu is a bit premature. I'm going to tell
you about a Chinese New Year feast to cook at home, even though Chinese
New Year isn't until January 24. Consider it this way -- you'll have
time to practice these dishes, and make sure they're perfect by the time
the Year of the Snake actually begins.

Each of these dishes has a symbolic role in the celebration, explained
below.

Start with spring rolls, whose resemblance to gold bullion signifies
good fortune.
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=104619

As a main dish, a whole chicken represents a phoenix, the mythical bird
of rebirth and rejuvenation. This phoenix er, chicken is poached and
accompanied by a ginger and scallion sauce.
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=104476

Then a whole fish, signifying abundance. This recipe is for steamed sea
bass.
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=104551

And finally, noodles, whose length represents longevity. This is a lo
mein beef variety.
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=104617

And now, the shameful admission: I'm no Chinese New Year expert. All
credit for this info, and these recipes, goes to Epicurious.com. Check
out their other Chinese New Year features here:

http://www.epicurious.com/e_eating/e04_chineseny/main.html

* Kung Hei Fat Choi means Happy New Year.

Related Info at Topica

Food & Drink Channel (the best content on edibles and drinkables)
http://www.topica.com/channels/food/

TipWorld Food & Cooking Tips (great cooking tips and more)
subscribe: mailto:tipworld-foodp-@topica.com