Welcome Guest!
 GSN Expeditions
Mar 19, 04 - The Arctic is on the move  Global SchoolNet
 Mar 19, 2004 11:54 PST

Mar 19, 04 - The Arctic is on the move

The Arctic is getting noisy. With the longer sun hours, things are starting
to move, and when the ice moves, it makes noise.

Today was the hardest day yet. Large pressure ridges, pack ice, and very
little in the way of flat pans. By the way, if you're not sure of some of
the ice terminology I use, go to my major sponsors website and I think the
ice terms are there; www.worldwidelearn.com/northpole/

At one point the ice looked as if I was walking into a white-washed Indiana
Jones Temple of Doom set. Large boulders of ice glowered at me, and at times
escape looked impossible. But I persevered.

I have a lot of time to think when I'm pulling the sledges. I think about
family and friends. My special friends Yoko and Gel gave me small charms to
help keep me safe. I think about my friends like Antoni and his family. The
many school kids following me, like Miss Jonas', Ms. Uhren, and Ms.
Westlake's classes. But most of all, when it's really tough I find myself
thinking about sushi! Strange, I know.

During a pulling break the ice got really noisy. All of a sudden it sounded
as if a waterfall had opened up, yet there was no water falling. Another
time while I was crossing a frozen lead it started to moan, crack, and boom.
It made me a bit nervous.

I ended the day with a nice sunset, though not many miles were covered
today. Also thoughts of Dominique filled my head and heart, for it appears
she is missing in action. My sympathy goes out to her family and friends.

Some readers have asked if I will write a book about my journey; absolutely.
I hope that you will ad it when it is published and I will be able to touch
your mind and soul and inspire greatness in you.
~Wave