Welcome Guest!
 GSN Expeditions
Apr 9, 04 - A very nice Friday, almost  Global SchoolNet
 Apr 12, 2004 10:56 PDT

Apr 9, 04 - A very nice Friday, almost

It's near midnight here. The sun is still shining and if I didn't have a
watch I wouldn't be able to tell what time of day, or night, it is.

I had a really nice day, up until the last half hour of pulling. It was
a relatively warm day, I even spent most of it without my face mask. The
sun was shinning bright enough that I finally put on my sunglasses. The
sky was exceptionally clear, and the headwind was minimal.

The ice wasn't too friendly, but I managed to make 7 miles today. There
was plenty of dense pack ice and deep snow. I also crossed several
thin-ice leads, and a couple of open water leads. I used my sledge as a
bridge and ran across the top to get past the open water.

I was in a great mood most of the day. Perhaps because I had several
pieces of chocolate, or because I've reduced how much medication I've
been taking for my various injuries.

Not wearing a face mask produced icicles hanging from my beard and
moustache around my mouth. A few times my mouth was frozen somewhat
closed, but breaking some of the ice off my face allowed me to open my
mouth again.

I spent a good amount of my day thinking about some of my other goals I
want to accomplish. For instance, I very much want to choreograph the
water fountains at the Bellagio Resort in Las Vegas. If anyone out there
knows Mr. Wynn, please put in a good word for me.

The last couple of hours of the day brought me to nice, flat pans. It
was the last half hour that things started to go wrong. First, the
climbing skin from one of my skis started to fall off. I made a quick
temporary fix with some duct tape.

After about 15 minutes of pulling I broke my other ski binding cable.
Ugh, I don't have any more spares. So, I looked for a place to pitch the
tent, set it up, and spent nearly four hours fixing my binding, ski
skin, and sewing some holes in one of my gloves.

I don't know how well, or long the binding repair will last. I'll find
out tomorrow. I also have to fix my sledge in the morning before I can
get moving. The arctic is hard on equipment, and bodies.

Today's update is dedicated to fellow polar explorer Ben Saunders. I
hope he is doing well and I wish him all the luck necessary to reach the
pole!
~Wave