Welcome Guest!
 GSN Expeditions
Apr 13, 04 - 85 degrees!  Global SchoolNet
 Apr 13, 2004 14:10 PDT

Apr 13, 04 - 85 degrees!

I know a lot of people were concerned because there were no dispatches,
and at some point no website over the weekend. It was simply some
technical problems, since resolved.

However, in the future, do not be alarmed if there are no updates for
the pole. If there were something major to happen, my basecamp managers
would leave a posting on the website. And thank you all for your
concern, sorry to worry anybody.

Tuesday at the arfice. Most people don't have the kind of work days I
do, but then again most people haven't tried to go to the North Pole.

Today, after just five minutes of pulling, I had to swim a thin-ice
lead, about 240 feet wide. Not nearly as horrendous as yesterday.
Several hours later I had to swim again, this time only about 60 feet
wide.

I'm tired of swimming thin-ice leads, using my back as an icebreaker,
and loosing precious time and energy. I hope I don't have to swim
anymore, but that's unlikely.

I'll start earlier and work longer to help make the mileage. Sadly, the
wind shifted and I'm being blown south. Hopefully it will change again
and I'll be drifting north.

It was warm today, for the polar ice cap. I didn't have to put on my
frozen down jacket first thing this morning, and it wasn't stiff as a
board either. I was nearly skiing in just my thermal underwear by the
end of the day. I like it a bit warmer up here.

Oh yeah, made it past 85 degrees latitude. Now I have to push harder and
work longer to the pole.

Well, I'm starting to doze off so I'll wrap this up. Today's update is
dedicated to Anthony Robbins, the self-help guru. His book Personal
Power I consider to be an owners manual for humans. His insight and
developments have helped me in many ways over the years. I hope I get to
meet him person someday.

~Wave