Welcome Guest!
 GSN Expeditions
Apr 14, 04 - Making good progress  Global SchoolNet
 Apr 14, 2004 16:34 PDT

Apr 14, 04 - Making good progress

It was a beautiful Wednesday in the arctic. Strangely, when I got out of
the tent this morning it was clear and sunny, and snowing! Not a cloud
in the sky, yet snowing.

I worked 13 hours through all kinds of ice, and made just over 12 miles.
It was a good day, and I need to repeat it (and better) for the next 20
days or so.

By 6pm clouds rolled in and obscured the sun. The light went flat and it
was difficult to see the contour of the surfaces I was moving over. I
fell down a couple of times, not knowing if I was traveling up, down, or
sideways on a small incline or bump. I continued on for another 3 hours,
and it was lightly snowing off and on.

I did see some older bear tracks in the snow earlier. One visitor to my
site pointed out that bears are dangerous, and they are. Kids, ask
adults how to act around bears, any kind of bear. The things I do on
this expedition are unique and should not be attempted by anyone.

My dispatches will become shorter as I work longer towards reaching the
pole.

Today's dispatch is dedicated to the 2nd graders at Bells Ferry
Elementary School in Marrieta, Georgia.

Keep up the good work kids! The new word for today is 'responsibility'.

~Wave