Welcome Guest!
 Hardhats
RE: Tunneling CPRS  Tomlinson, Steven B
 Aug 24, 2004 12:38 PDT

Although not an expert, here goes my take on your situation, if the firewall
protecting the CPRS client is a Linux firewall using iptables then it should
not be a problem.
I believe the firewall would need to use connection tracking (stateful
packet inspection). There's an excellent article on the subject at:
http://www.sns.ias.edu/~jns/security/iptables/iptables_conntrack.html

Let us know how it goes!

 -----Original Message-----
From: wagn-@musc.edu [mailto:wagn-@musc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 9:03 AM
To: hard-@topica.com
Subject: [HARDHATS] Tunneling CPRS

Stories from the Civil Rights Movement. Extraordinary stories,
ordinary people. Share your memories today!
http://click.topica.com/caacvglbz8SdcbboK3la/AARP

I have come across an issue that I'm sure others have solved.
So, I'd
like to know what options have been used. This is a simple firewall
problem.

The OpenVista server resides on a subnet behind a firewall. The CPRS
client machine is on a different subnet behind a different
firewall. I
can open port 9200 on the OpenVista firewall to get CPRS to
connect to
OpenVista. However, the connection is never complete.

Talking to Lloyd Milligan, I have discovered that OpenVista makes a
callback connection to CPRS on a random port. So, the
problem must be
that the firewall around the CPRS client is blocking that callback
connection. I cannot open the firewall there since I don't know what
port(s) to open.

I asked a less distinct question before and I was told that I
could use
SSH tunneling or VPN. How can either work in this case where
the port
it is connecting to is unkown?

-Shaun

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgobz8SdcbboK3lf/ChildrenInternational