Welcome Guest!
 II Errancy
[mrath-@att.net] Supernatural "Nature"  Errancy Archive
 Jul 22, 2007 16:52 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [errancy] Supernatural "Nature"
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:42:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Doug Krueger <mrath-@att.net>

 DOUG
Bell, when are you going to explain why God has a
particular set of essential properties?

MB
When are you going to learn to check responses
before you come demanding
replies to that which has already been provided to
you?

DOUG
When are you going to stop ducking the question?

======================
19th July 2007 - 14:29

 DOUG
So far so good. Next question: why does God have
the
 'essential, identifying characteristics' that he
(allegedly) has at present--specifically the MORAL
characteristics, since that is our topic-- rather
than, say, some other set of 'essential,
identifying
 characteristics' that one might expect of, say,
Satan
 or a Hindu god.

You say god has 'essential, identifying
characteristics.' What are they, and why does God
have these and not some others?

MB
1. There is no way to answer to your question
because we are never provided
with that information.

DOUG
You aren't provided with lots of information that
theists don't mind expounding upon.

And provided by whom? Someone has to tell you the
answer? Since when do fundies need real information
before giving answers?

MB wrote:
It is the same as asking an
 philosophical naturalist
why is the universe the way it is and not some other
way.

DOUG
No, it is not the same because in the case of God's
"nature," it is important to know why you are using it
as the source for ethics. Since it is the source of
your ethics, isn't it important to find out why you
are using that source? What is so special about that
source such that you are justified in using it to
allegedly found your ethics?

Typically, sophisticated fundies will say that God's
nature is necessary--that is, it could not possibly be
otherwise. This answer ultimately doesn't hold up,
but Bell has not given that answer so I won't address
it here.

---

              You've Got Questions. We've Got A Web Family (tm)

http://theskepticalreview.com   http://iierrancy.com   http://errantyears.com