[<mrath-@cox.net>] What is Atheism? A Short Introduction, by
DougKrueger
 Errancy Archive
 Jul 27, 2007 09:31 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [errancy] What is Atheism? A Short Introduction, by DougKrueger
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 3:24:02 -0400
From: <mrath-@cox.net>

 McDonald
Well, Andre you aren't going to be there to see
who is
 there and who isn't. As for entertainment, I
guess
 you roast each other. How's that?

DOUG
It's always amusing to see alleged Christians judge
others and then pretend to follow a man who said the
simple, clear, direct command "judge not."

McDonald
Yeah right, Doug. Jesus did say "judge not lest ye be
judged," but he also said "but judge righteous
judgment" (Jno. 7:24). I am not judging Darrell
unjustly.

DOUG
Gee, thanks for the contradiction. So are you supposed to judge or not?
Jesus said "Judge NOT!" And now you tell me he said judging is OK as long as
you do it right.

So which is it? If you judge, you violate his direct, simple unequivocal
command to refrain from judging. Yet you claim he also said you could go ahead
and judge.

So explain this contradiction.

The Bible states that those "that know not
 God, and obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction
from the presence of the Lord, and the glory of his
power" (2 Thess. 1:8,9). As far as my response to
Darrell's question about how they were going to be
entertained, Solomon said "answer a fool according to
his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceits" (Prov.
26:5). Darrell wanted to be a fool, so I responded to
him like he was a fool. And before you say anything
about verse 4 let me also say that it says: "answer
not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be
like him." In other words, don't let answering him
put you down on his level, but answer him according to
his folly (but not so that you would get down on his
level), so he won't be wise in his own conceits.

DOUG
I see that Jesus was just following in the footsteps of those who had
contradicted themselves before him. Aside from the laughable claim that
Solomon wrote Proverbs, we find the advice:

"Answer a fool according to his folly...'

and

"answer not a fool according to his folly..."

So should you answer a fool according to his folly or not? Regardless of
whether someone can make a case for or against, what is the answer to the
question? So should you answer a fool according to his folly or not?

 Doug

If there's one thing fundamentalists hate, it's the
Bible. They want to just do whatever they "feel" is
correct.
McDonald
Sorry, wrong again. What we hate is how you atheists
misinterpret the Bible so you can make it say just
whatever YOU "feel is correct." Actually we love the
Bible, and we try to follow the Bible. We just don't
follow your particular interpretation of the Bible.
That's what we don't like.

DOUG
Oh, so the Bible says that you should and should not answer a fool according
to his folly, and that you should and should not judge others. And you accuse
others of making the Bible say what they please?

Doug Krueger
Fayetteville, AR

---

              You've Got Questions. We've Got A Web Family (tm)

http://theskepticalreview.com   http://iierrancy.com   http://errantyears.com