Welcome Guest!
 indonesia-act
Another Indonesian Maid Dies In S. Arabia  Tapol
 Jun 30, 2011 00:26 PDT

From Joyo

The Jakarta Post
Thursday, June 30, 2011

Another Indonesian Maid Dies In S. Arabia

Mustaqim Adamrah, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

“Sister, I’m sick. I cannot stop vomiting blood. If I die, please do
me a favor. I entrust father and mother to you.”

It was the last text message from 18-year-old Ernawati binti Sujono
Konderin, an Indonesian migrant worker in Saudi Arabia, sent to her
family on Jan. 26 before her fi nal contact by the phone with her
older sister, Yenni Larasati, on Feb. 1. “I was really sad when
reading her fi nal text message. I rushed to Jakarta on Jan. 31 from
Tanjung Pinang [Riau Islands] to report Ernawati’s situation to the
Foreign Ministry,” Yenni said on Tuesday in a press conference at
Migrant CARE Headquarters.

“On Feb. 1, [Ernawati] said over the phone that her employer’s son had
tried to rape her. She was crying. After that, there were no more
calls or text messages from her.”

Yenni said Ernawati was forced to kneel while her employer often
slapped, punched, kicked, threw things at her or whipped her with a
hose. The employer’s lover allegedly followed suit. She never received
her salary, Yenni added. Ernawati died on Feb. 10, 10 days after Yenni
fi led the report, from injuries allegedly sustained from physical
abuse at the hands of her employer and his lover, according to Yenni.

“Every time I asked a ministry employee about my report, they told me
it was still being processed — until my sister’s co-worker called our
family on Feb. 10, saying she had died.” Yenni said she was fi nally
convinced of her sister’s death on Feb. 13, when someone at a hospital
called her on Ernawati’s cell phone after Yenni’s numerous text
messages and phone calls went unanswered.

“The guy at the other end said there was an Indonesian who had died
and had been at the hospital for three days. I got all this
information on my own, not from the ministry or the embassy,” Yenni
said.

In a letter the Indonesian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Gatot Abdullah
Mansyur, sent in February to the foreign minister, the manpower and
transmigration minister and the head of the National Agency for
Placement and Protection of Indonesian Migrant Workers (BNP2TKI), he
said that the Al-Muntazah police in Hail had received a report about
an Indonesian migrant worker who was being treated for swallowing rat
poison.

“How can the ministry and the embassy say my sister died from rat
poison while at the same time they tell me an autopsy on her body is
about to begin?” Yenni said. She also said the ministry and the
embassy insisted they could not reach Ernawati’s workplace in time
because it was in Hail, 700 kilometers from the embassy.

“Was it really that hard to get there? I fl ew from Tanjung Pinang,
more than a thousand kilometers from Jakarta, to seek justice and it
took only one hour and 20 minutes,” she said.

“Had they immediately followed up on my report and evacuated my
sister, she might still alive now.”

Foreign Ministry spokesman Michael Tene and the director for legal aid
and protection of Indonesian nationals overseas, Tatang Budie Utama
Razak, could not be reached for comment.

University of Indonesia international relations expert Hariyadi
Wirawan said embassy staff did not arrive in time possibly due to
diplomats’ reluctance to travel that distance or a lack of fi nancial
and human resources.

Only two weeks ago, an Indonesian maid named Ruyati binti Satubi was
beheaded by Saudi authorities after being convicted of murdering her
employer, who had mistreated her.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono met Saudi Arabian Ambassador to
Indonesia Abdulrahman Mohammed Amen al-Khayyat at the latter’s request
at the State Palace on Tuesday.

However, instead of expressing displeasure, Yudhoyono hailed Saudi
Arabia for “giving aid” to an Islamic organization.

Migrant CARE executive director Anis Hidayah said she had reported the
ministry, the embassy and the BNP2TKI to the Ombudsman Commission,
which receives complaints of poor public service, for alleged
“negligence that led to Ernawati’s death”.

-- Get Short, Timely Updates - Follow us on Twitter: @JoyoIndoNews

-- Get Short, Timely Updates - Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/JoyoIndoNews - @JoyoIndoNews and join us on Facebook:
http://facebook.com/JoyoNews