Welcome Guest!
 indonesia-act
[wp] 1) West Papuan Leaders Forced Underground  Tapol
 Oct 22, 2012 01:58 PDT

1) West Papuan Leaders Forced Underground

2) Renewed call for Australia to send diplomats to /Indonesia's Papua/
<http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=papua%20indonesia&source=newssearch&cd=1&ved=0CC0QqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rnzi.com%2Fpages%2Fnews.php%3Fop%3Dread%26id%3D71708&ei=PfyEUL_lAquhiAeUpIDQBg&usg=AFQjCNHM2uRjVqTds8mDLFZZdojd9j5n_w>

WEST PAPUA

1) West Papuan Leaders Forced Underground

By Alex Rayfield

      Tags:

    * west papua <http://newmatilda.com/tag/west-papua>
    * viktor yeimo <http://newmatilda.com/tag/viktor-yeimo>
    * detachment 88 <http://newmatilda.com/tag/detachment-88>
    * alex rayfield <http://newmatilda.com/tag/alex-rayfield>

The West Papua National Committee was raided on Friday by
Australian-funded counter-terror force Detachment 88, forcing its
leaders into hiding. Alex Rayfield reports

West Papuan independence organisation, the West Papua National Committee
(KNPB), continues to defy the Indonesian security after a series of
arrests and attacks on the group in Wamena, Timika and Jayapura.

Speaking from a safe house KNPB Chairman, Viktor Yeimo told New Matilda
that the police were vigorously repressing the group’s right to freedom
to organise and right to nonviolently express their political opinion:

    "I am in hiding but I have to try and keep organizing. KNPB have
    plans for peaceful demonstrations in Sorong, Manokwari and Jayapura.
    The police won’t allow us to make a peaceful action but we will
    still have a peaceful action."

Early on Friday morning officers from the Indonesian police and
Australian and US-aided counter-terrorist group Detachment 88 raided
KNPB’s Timika headquarters. Four Papuans, Steven Itlay, Chairman of the
Timika region, Romario Yatipai, vice-president of KNPB’s parallel
parliamentary structure the West Papua National Parliament, Marten
Kalolik, and Denias Tekege were arrested.

Laptops and cameras were also seized. The arrests in Timika follow raids
and arrests of 10 activists in Wamena, raids on villages and an attack
on a student dormitory in Jayapura last Tuesday. Some of those arrested
are teenagers. Others like Simson, a student activist from Jayapura were
beaten by the police to extract information.

Virtually the entire KNPB leadership has now gone underground. In
addition to Viktor Yeimo, Fanny Kogoya, ex-member of the KNPB central
committee who resigned from the KNPB after being elected Director of the
Papua Desk of Friends of the Earth Indonesia, and Simeon Dabbi chairman
of the Wamena branch of KNPB are all on the run.

Their faces are pasted in the streets of Wamena and Jaypura under the
ominous heading, "Daftar Pencarian Orang", the list of wanted persons.
In Fanny Kogoya’s case her only "crime" is that she was a close friend
of Mako Tabuni, the KNPB activist killed by Detachment 88 in June.

Indonesian police accuse KNPB of being behind a series of shootings and
bombings in West Papua that have rocked the country in recent months. It
is an allegation that Yeimo vigorously denies.

    "All this evidence is planted so they can justify their attacks. We
    never had any plan or any program to make acts of terror. We are not
    a military movement. If we were a military movement we would be the
    TPN (West Papua National Army) but we are a civilian movement. The
    Indonesians fear our movement, they want to make a public opinion
    that we are terrorists so they can kill us."

Yeimo pauses.

"But they won’t succeed," he says quietly. "Indonesia won’t success to
stop our movements for the right. Indonesia cannot kill our spirit
for freedom."

http://www.rnzi.com/pages/news.php?op=read&id=71708

2) Renewed call for Australia to send diplomats to /Indonesia's Papua/
<http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=papua%20indonesia&source=newssearch&cd=1&ved=0CC0QqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rnzi.com%2Fpages%2Fnews.php%3Fop%3Dread%26id%3D71708&ei=PfyEUL_lAquhiAeUpIDQBg&usg=AFQjCNHM2uRjVqTds8mDLFZZdojd9j5n_w>

Posted at 06:46 on 22 October, 2012 UTC
An Australia non government organisation says diplomatic observers would
help the world learn about alleged human rights abuses in Indonesia’s
Papua region.
The Human Rights Law Centre was responding to reports of arbitrary
arrests by Indonesian security personnel ahead of last Friday’s
commemoration of the Third Papuan Peoples Congress in 2011.
That event, in which West Papuans proclaimed their independence from
Jakarta, was violently shut down by police and soldiers.
The Human Rights Law Centre’s Tom Clarke says sending diplomats would be
a practical step given the international media is effectively banned
from the region.

    “If it would help Australians and indeed the wider international
    community to gain a better picture of the human rights abuses that
    are occurring in West Papua. It is very hard to verify a lot of
    reports that are coming out of the province and if the more
    international observers on the ground, watching events, being able
    to report back to their governments and journalists, I think that’s
    all helpful.”