Welcome Guest!
 indonesia-act
Papua Update: 5 Cops Injured, 11 Detained in Manokwari Clash  Tapol
 Oct 23, 2012 09:45 PDT

From Joyo

Papua Update: 5 Cops Injured, 11 Detained in Manokwari Clash

October 23, 2012

The Jakarta Post [website]

Five police officers, one journalist were injured and eleven
reportedly detained when a rally staged by West Papua National
Committee (KNPB) turned chaotic on Tuesday in Manokwari, West Papua.

"They [officers] were still hospitalized. The demonstrators threw
stones at them. I don’t know whether anyone from KNPB was also
injured," said Manokwari Police Chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Agustinus
Supriyanto on Wednesday, as quoted by www.tempo.co.

A reporter with Suara Papua, Oktovianus Pogau was also reportedly
injured after being hit by the police.

Dozens of people under the KNPB staged a rally in front of the
University of Papua, Manokwari to show support for the meeting of the
International Parliament of West Papua (IPWP) that discussed the
ongoing struggle for the liberation of West Papua in London.

The supposedly peaceful rally turned chaotic after one of the
demonstrators threw stones at people that took pictures from behind
the horde of police. The police responded by allegedly firing warning
shots.

Agustinus denied that the police opened fire at the demonstrators. "
If there were rumors about someone being shot, that’s not true,"
said Agustinus. He also claimed that no one was arrested.

Another report, however, says that 11 protesters were detained as a
result of the incident.

The committee’s chairman, Viktor Yeimo, said that some of his people
were arrested. "This is unacceptable. We were just expressing our
aspirations. I even heard that two of our men were shot," he
said.(kes/iwa)

-- Get Short, Timely Updates - Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/JoyoIndoNews - @JoyoIndoNews and join us on Facebook:
http://facebook.com/JoyoNews