Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 113 - 4-04-05  justjeanne49
 Apr 03, 2005 10:50 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 113 (Monday, 4-04-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 113 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

We hope everyone had a wonderful Easter with family and friends. We
sure did.
It is Spring and here in Illinois on Wednesday, we had our first tornado
watch. Around 5:00 PM, we had hail the size of marbles twice, a real
downpour, lightning, thunder and strong winds. The storm and tornado
watch is still on. My cousin told me that a local sports center (about
a 20 minute drive from me) was filled with youngsters and the roof blew
off. Luckily, no one was injured or killed, thank God. My poor little
cocker spaniel, Chelsea, kept very close by me as she is terrified of
storms. Luckily, our sirens did not go off or I would have been in the
basement taking cover with Chelsea and my brother. For a change, we did
not lose power although my satellite TV was on and off several times
trying to find a signal. I have oil burning lamps, some using antique
blue Mason jars for their bases that I keep in every room in the house
at all times. Last Spring, we had one heck of a storm and lightning
struck a metal street sign and blew a power main. Power was off for
about 10 hours that time. The joys of Springtime in the Midwest!

For a lot of folks in the States, this is the weekend to change your
clocks ahead one hour for daylight savings time. Hope you remembered or
you will be late, you will be late, you will be late for an important
date!!

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

IN MEMORY OF JOHN PAUL II
No matter what faith you are, the world lost a great man, Pope John Paul
II, who died Saturday at the age of 84.

"When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and
brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your
life."
~Jean Bolen~

"Great beauty, great strength, and great riches are really and truly of
no great use; a right heart exceeds all."
~Benjamin Franklin~

"Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of
meaning and purpose."
~Viktor Frankl~

"It is very hard to be simple enough to be good."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that
happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward
achieving something bigger and better than your current situation."
~Brian Tracy~

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say
thank you?"
~William A. Ward~

"Do what can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt~

"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek
out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the
hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through
it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you'll never
walk alone."
~Audrey Hepburn~

"Compromise: The art of dividing a cake in such a way that everybody
believes he got the biggest piece."
~Sherry Rothfield~

"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'the universe.' Our
task must be to widen our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
~Albert Einstein~

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."
~Thomas Jefferson~

"It's not whether you get knocked down. It's whether you get up again.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is."
~Vince Lombardi~

"Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind.
The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind."
~Henry James~

"Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on
your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
~Charles Dickens~

"We tend to make courage too dramatic. Courage is often doing something
simple, unpleasant, or boring again and again until we get it down pat.
People who are physically challenged and who have the determination to
get around their handicaps are great
examples because their courage makes them test their limits every day."
~Dave Thomas~

"The man who makes everything that leads to happiness depend upon
himself, and not upon other men, has adopted the very best plan for
living happily."
~Plato~

"You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to
enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer
spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and
you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand."
~Woodrow Wilson~

"I will my own destiny. I believe in me. I smile at obstacles. I am
firm in my resolve. I fulfill my resolutions powerfully. My strength
is great. I stick to it, easily, naturally. My will moves mountains.
I focus and give it my all. My decisions are strong. I do it all with
my heart."
~Tiger Woods~

"Thirty Rules For A Good Life"

1. No one can ruin your day without YOUR permission.
2. Most people will be about as happy as they decide to be.
3. Others can stop you temporarily, but only you can do it permanently.
4. Whatever you are willing to put up with is exactly what you will
have.
5. Success stops when you do.
6. When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it.
7. You will never "have it all together."
8. Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
9. The biggest lie on the planet: "When I get what I want I will be
happy."
10. The best way to escape your problem is to solve it.
11. I've learned that ultimately "takers" lose and "givers" win.
12. Life's precious moments don't have value, unless they are shared.
13. If you don't start, it's certain you won't arrive.
14. We often fear the thing we want the most.
15. Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you have to
say. Best friends listen to what you don't say!
16. Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
17. Look for opportunities, not guarantees.
18. Life is what's coming, not what was.
19. Success is getting up one more time.
20. Now is the most interesting time of all.
21. When things go wrong, don't go with them.
22. Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same
side.
23. God can mend all broken hearts. You just have to give Him all the
pieces
24. A person who asks a question might be a fool for five minutes, but a
person who doesn't ask, is a fool forever.
25. A best friend is like a four leaf clover, hard to find, and lucky to
have.
26. A friend is someone who reaches for your hand but touches your
heart.
27. A coincidence is when God performs a miracle, and decides to remain
anonymous.
28. I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.
29. Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of
God's grace and your best days are never so good that you are beyond the
need of God's grace.
30. Our eyes are placed in front because it is more important to look
ahead than to look back.

~Author Unknown~

"A Letter From Heaven"

I'm writing this from Heaven. Here I dwell with God above.
Here, there's no more tears of sadness; here is just eternal love.
Please do not be unhappy just because I'm out of sight.
Remember that I'm with you every morning, noon and night.

That day I had to leave you when my life on earth was through,
God picked me up and hugged me, and He said: "I welcome you."
It's good to have you back again; you were missed while you were gone.
As for your dearest family, they'll be here later on.

I need you here badly; you're part of my plan.
There's so much that we have to do, to help our mortal man."
God gave me a list of things that he wished for me to do.
And foremost on the list was to watch and care for you.

And when you lie in bed at night, the day's chores put to flight.
God and I are closest to you in the middle of the night.
When you think of my life on earth, and all those loving years,
because you are only human, they are bound to bring you tears.

But do not be afraid to cry; it does relieve the pain.
Remember there would be no flowers, unless there was some rain.
I wish that I could tell you, all that God has planned.
But if I were to tell you, you wouldn't understand.

But one thing is for certain, though my life on earth is o'er.
I'm closer to you now, than I ever was before.
There are many rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb;
but together we can do it, by taking one day at a time.

It was always my philosophy, and I'd like it for you too
that as you give unto the world, the world will give to you.
If you can help somebody who's in sorrow and pain,
then you can say to God at night, "My day was not in vain."

And now I am contented that my life has been worthwhile,
knowing as I passed along the way, I made somebody smile.
So if you meet somebody who is sad and feeling low,
just lend a hand to pick him up, as on your way you go.

When you're walking down the street, and you've got me on your mind;
I'm walking in your footsteps, only half a step behind.
And when it's time for you to go from that body to be free,
remember you're not going. you're coming here to me.

~Ruth Ann Mahaffey~

"It is not how many years we live, but what we do with them. It is not
what we receive, but what we give to others. "
~Evangeline Booth~

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it
takes to sit down and listen."
~Sir Winston Churchill~

"Aim at the sun and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly far
higher than if you had aimed at an object on a level with
yourself."
~F. Hawes~

"In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen
dream. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept
destructive criticism. Without 100 percent dedication, you won't be able
to do this."
~Willie Mays~

"My motto was to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump, or feeling
badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was to keep
swinging."
~Hank Aaron~

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. You can
only decide how you're going to live. Now."
~Joan Baez~

"Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work with mastery. Like
the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. Do not believe in
anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything
simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in
anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do
not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and
elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down
for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find
that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and
benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."
~Buddha~

"Somehow I can't believe that there are any heights that can't be scaled
by a man who knows the secrets of making dreams come true.   This
special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C's:
curiosity, confidence, courage, and constancy, and the greatest of all
is confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way,
implicitly and unquestionably."
~Walt Disney~

"You have to find something that you love enough to be able to take
risks, jump over the hurdles, and break through the brick walls that are
always going to be placed in front of you. If you don't have that kind
of feeling for what it is you're doing, you'll stop at the first giant
hurdle."
~George Lucas~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy White Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Baked Apple Supreme
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Sweet 'N Sour Chicken
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Burrito Casserole
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Spinach Casserole
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Pasta Salad II
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Easy Dog Treats
   Recipe:   Kitten Delight
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Minty Nectarine Pear Preserves
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy BBQ Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Chunky Applesauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Apple Butter
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY WHITE SAUCE

16 oz plain non-fat yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
1/2 cup reduced-fat chicken broth
2 cups skim milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon granules
salt and white pepper, to taste

Cook onion, garlic, chicken base or granules and broth in a 2-quart
saucepan until liquid is almost all cooked away. In a small bowl, whisk
flour with the skim milk. Add to the saucepan and continue to cook,
whisking, until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat. In a
separate bowl, mix about one fourth of the hot mixture with one fourth
of the yogurt to temper it. Add this mixture back into the pot. Fold
in remaining yogurt slowly so that it won't curdle. Heat on very low
and serve hot over meat or veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Alternatively, you can refrigerate mixture for 4-6 hours and use it
cold. Either way, it is delicious.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BAKED APPLE SUPREME

8 large Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup golden yellow raisins
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup chopped raw unsalted cashews
1/2 cup Splenda)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
4 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup white wine or unsweetened apple juice or cider

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Using an apple corer, remove core from
apples. Place in a lasagna-type baking pan lightly sprayed with cooking
spray. In a mixing bow, combine applesauce, raisins, apricots, cashews,
Splenda, lemon juice, and apple pie spice. Mix well and fill each hole
of the apples with this mixture. Place 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine
on top. Pour wine or apple juice over filled apples. Bake uncovered
for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until apples are softened. Periodically
ladle sauce that has settled in bottom of pan over apples. When
serving, ladle reduced sauce over each apple. Makes 8 servings.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY SWEET 'N SOUR CHICKEN

2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized
pieces
vegetable or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium sweet green pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
1 cup reserved pineapple juice (add water if necessary)
1/4 cup brown sugar replacement
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons Lite soy sauce
2 tablespoon bead molasses
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons cornstarch plus 2 tablespoons cold water

Heat up a wok. Add enough oil to lightly coat wok. When hot, sauté
chicken until done. Remove and set aside. Sauté green and red peppers,
onions, mushrooms and celery until tender. Remove and set aside. Add
pineapples and brown sugar replacement. Heat until hot. Return cooked
chicken and veggies back into wok. Add vinegar, pineapple juice, soy
sauce, bead molasses, Worcestershire sauce, and ground ginger. Cook
until hot and bubbly. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and
water. Add into wok and continue heating until thickened slightly.
Serve over cooked brown rice. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

VARIATIONS: Add a can or two of drained mini corn on the cob, bamboo
shoots, water chestnuts, broccoli and/or Chinese pea pods. The more
veggies you add, the more serving you will get.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BURRITO CASSEROLE

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 large onion, peeled and diced
extra virgin olive oil
1 quart chunky salsa
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup mild green chilies, chopped
1 (16 ounce) ounce can refried beans
1 (10 ounce)package whole-wheat tortillas
3 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Sauté ground meat and onions in extra
virgin olive oil until meat is browned and onions are soft. Drain in a
colander to remove excess fat. Return meat and onions to the skillet
and add garlic, cumin, chili powder, green chilies and salsa. Simmer
for 15-20 minutes on medium heat. Lightly spray a 9 X 13-inch casserole
dish with cooking spray. Cut the tortillas in half. Place a layer of
tortillas in the dish. Spread with half of the refried beans. Top with
some of the meat mixture and some of the cheese. Repeat until all
ingredients are used, ending with a layer of cheese. Bake uncovered at
350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Makes 4 to 6
servings.

NOTE: If you like it spicier, add some hot sauce while simmering.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 500 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

Up-date on my healthier eating lifestyle:

I have now been following the South Beach Diet for 16-1/2 months. I
have dropped 65 pounds and maintained that loss ever since. A few weeks
back, I went to the local hospital for a fasting blood sugar test. Got
the results and my blood sugar level is normal.

Something You Should Know:

When you go to buy bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered
which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness? Did
you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week?
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Each day has a
different color twist tie They are:

Monday = Blue
Tuesday = Green
Thursday = Red
Friday = White
Saturday = Yellow

So if today was Thursday, you would want red twist tie; not white which
is Fridays (almost a week old)! The colors go alphabetically by color
Blue - Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday through Saturday. Very easy
to remember. I thought this was interesting. I looked in the grocery
store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the
ones with the plastic clips have different colors. You learn something
new everyday! Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color
on the day you are shopping.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY SPINACH CASSEROLE

12 slices whole-wheat bread, dried out and cut into small cubes
1 quart reduced-fat chicken broth
1 teaspoon Fines Herbes
1 pound drained frozen spinach
1 (10-3/4 ounce) can Campbell's 98% fat-free Cream of Mushroom Soup plus
one can of cold water
1 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
1 small onion, peeled and minced finely
1 tablespoon minced garlic

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, bring chicken
broth and Fines Herbes to a boil. Add in bread cubes. Remove from heat
and cover and let stand for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Mix in
remaining ingredients until well combined. Spray a casserole dish with
cooking spray. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake uncovered at 350
degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY PASTA SALAD II

1 pound whole-wheat penne pasta or rotini
1 (16 ounce) can pitted black olives, drained and chopped
1 cup shredded peeled carrots
1 garlic clove, minced
2 stalks of celery, chopped finely
1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
2 large fresh tomatoes
2 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 large yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 large cucumbers, peeled and chopped
1 (16 ounce) bottle of reduced-fat Italian dressing
1 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons of your favorite dried herb or 4 tablespoons fresh herbs
Pepper to taste

Boil noodles in salt water until done. Rinse and rain completely and
set aside to cool. Chop olives and vegetables to desired size. Mix
veggies with Italian Dressing, Parmesan cheese, pepper and herbs. Chill
salad for several hours before serving.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 300 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

EASY DOG TREATS:

2 small jars Gerber strained beef or chicken baby meat
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk(dry)
1/2 cup wheat germ

Mix and form into balls. Arrange on greased cookie sheet. Flatten.
Bake at 325 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and store in
refrigerator.

KITTEN DELIGHT

1/3 cup cooked oatmeal
1/4 teaspoon warm milk
1/4 teaspoon honey

Place the oatmeal in a bowl. Add the warm milk to make a smooth
mixture. Pour honey on top, mix, and serve warm, not hot.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

20 Kites 20 Minutes
http://www.aloha.net/~bigwind/20kidskites.html

Magic Wand Bookmark
http://www.activitiesforkids.com/crafts/wand.htm

Activities for Kids
http://www.activitiesforkids.com/kids.htm

Veteran's Day Activities for Elementary Teachers
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/9087/veteransindex.html

Farm Animal Coloring Pages
http://www.alphabet-soup.net/farm/farmcolor.html

Rainbow Magic Spring Fun - Games And More Fun
http://www.rainbow-magic.com/holidays/spring/

Activity Idea Place Spring Art Ideas
http://www.123child.com/easter/spring.html

Learning Activities - Here is a collection of simple activities designed
to help your child improve learning skills.
http://www.meddybemps.com/7.33.html

Coloring Pages, Word Search, Crossword Puzzle, Stickers!
http://kidprintables.c.topica.com/maadkABabfrdVcfvN48bafpN5Q/

Ants
http://www.heatersworld.com/bugworld/

Insects
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/alienempire/

Insects and Others
http://www.beritsbest.com/categories.php?c=21

More Insects
http://wings.avkids.com/Book/Animals/intermediate/insects-01.html

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Spring and Holiday Craft Projects and Resources
www.creativity-portal.com/howto/artscrafts/crafts_spring.html

Spring Craft Projects - Season theme crafts
www.familycrafts.about.com/od/springcrafts/

DLTK's Crafts, Coloring Pages And More For Celebrating Spring
www.dltk-holidays.com/spring/

spring crafts for parents, kids and the entire family fun group!
www.familyshoppingbag.com/spring_crafts.htm

Kids Domain - Spring Craft Links
www.kidsdomain.com/craft/_spring2.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...just send a blank email to:
mailto:61956-su-@zinester.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

"Dear God"

I called tonight to talk a little while.
I need a friend who'll listen to my anxiety and trial.
You see, I can't quite make it through a day just on my own.
I need your love to guide me so I'll never feel alone.

I want to ask you please to keep my family safe and sound.
Come and fill their lives with confidence for whatever fate they are
bound.
Give me faith, dear God, to face each hour throughout the day,
and not to worry over things I can't change in any way.

I thank you God, for being home and listening to my call;
for giving me such good advice when I stumble and fall.
Your number, God, is the only one that answers every time.
I never get a busy signal, never had to pay a dime.

So thank you, God, for listening to my troubles and my sorrow.
Good night God, I love You too, and I'll call again tomorrow!

~Author Unknown~

"What Is Your Address?"

There is a family nobody likes to meet,
They live, it is said, on Complaining Street.
In the city of Never-Are Satisfied,
The River of Discontent beside.

They growl at that, and they growl at this;
Whatever comes there is something amiss;
And whether their station be high or humble,
They are known by the name of Grumble.

The weather is always too hot or too cold,
Summer and winter alike they scold;
Nothing goes right with the folks you meet
Down on that gloomy Complaining Street.

They growl at the rain, and they growl at the sun;
In fact, their growling is never done.
And if everything pleased them, there isn't a doubt
They'd growl that they'd nothing to grumble about!

And the worst thing is that if anyone stays
Among them too long he will learn their ways,
And before he dreams of the terrible jumble
He's adopted into the family of Grumble.

So it were wisest to keep our feet
from wandering into Grumbling Street.
And never to growl whatever we do,
Lest we be mistaken for Grumblers too.

~L. M. Montgomery~

"Be A Kid Again"

Give yourself a gold star for everything you do today.
Grow a milk mustache.
Open a pack of cupcakes and give one to a friend even though you wanted
both of them for yourself.
Have a staring contest with your cat.
Kiss a frog just in case.
Make a face the next time somebody tells you "no."
Ask "Why?" a lot.
Believe in fairy tales.
Have someone read you a story.
Wear your favorite shirt with your favorite pants even if they don't
match.
Do a cartwheel.
Hide your vegetables under your napkin.
Make a "slurpy" sound with your straw when you get to the bottom of a
milkshake.
Sit really still for as long as the dog (or cat) is asleep in your lap.
Find some pretty stones and save them.
Stick your head out the car window and moo if you see a cow.
Walk barefoot in wet grass.
Giggle at nude statues in a museum.
Make cool screeching noises every time you turn.
Count the colors in a rainbow.
Fuss a little, then take a nap.
Take a running jump over a big puddle.
Giggle a lot for no real reason.
Tap someone on the shoulder while you stand on their opposite side and
they turn around and no one's there thing.
Enjoy your all-time favorite candy-bar. (Forget you've heard of
calories!)
Throw something and when it lands make a cool exploding bomb noise.
Squish some mud between your toes.
Buy yourself a helium balloon.
Put an orange slice in your mouth, peel side out, and smile at people.
Be a kid again!!

~Author Unknown~

What do you get when you cross chocolate powder with a magic dragon?
Cocoa Puffs!

Why didn't the salad joke make it into the book?
It got tossed!

What do you get when you cross an ear of corn with a spider?
Cob webs!

Would Little Miss Muffet share her curds?
No whey!

How do you call a barber cat?
Yell "Hair Kitty!"

What do English cats drink in the afternoon?
Kit-tea!

Why did the gum cross the road?
It was stuck to the chicken's foot!

Why did the spider cross the road?
To get to the other website!

What do monkeys do on a Saturday night?
They "hang" around!!

How did the frog cross the road when a truck was coming?
SPLAT!!! He didn't!

Why did the chicken cross the ocean?
To get to the other tide!

If Lettuce, Tomato, and Squash had a race who would win?
The lettuce would be a-head, the squash would be in the middle, and the
tomato would have to catch-up (or ketchup)!

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

JEANNE'S MINTY NECTARINE PEAR PRESERVES

2 pounds ripe nectarines, peeled and pitted
2 pounds pears, peeled and cored
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup lemon juice
5 cups sugar or Splenda
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
2 whole cinnamon sticks

Peel and pit the nectarines and cut them into chunks. Peel the pears
and core them. Put them into a large stockpot with the water and lemon
juice. Make a spice ball with the cloves, allspice berries and cinnamon
sticks. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Crush the nectarines with
a potato masher. Add the sugar or Splenda and the mint leaves, stirring
well. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes until mixture
is thick. Remove and discard spice ball. Ladle the preserves into
sterilize jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a water bath canner for 15 minutes. Yields 5 to 6 pints.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BBQ SAUCE

8 quarts tomatoes (about 48 large)
4 cups onions, chopped
4 cups celery, chopped
3 cups sweet green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
4-6 hot peppers, seeded and chopped
2 cups brown sugar replacement
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons peppercorns
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons ground mace
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 cups white vinegar
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Wash, core and quarter tomatoes. You do not have to peel them. Combine
tomatoes, onions, celery and peppers. Cook until soft, about 30
minutes. Press through a Foley food mill discarding seeds and skins.
Return tomato mixture to the stockpot.. Tie peppercorns in cheesecloth
bag; add remaining ingredients and cook slowly until mixture is
consistency of BBQ sauce, about 1-1/2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent
sticking. Ladle hot sauce into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner
for 20 minutes. Yields 9-10 pints.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHUNKY APPLESAUCE

20 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 cup lemon or lime juice
2 cups Splenda
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, allspice, cloves
2 tablespoons salt
Water to cover

Wash, peel and core apples. Chop into fine bits. Place in large
stockpot with lemon or lime juice and enough water to cover. Simmer in
covered stockpot until tender. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
Simmer for another 5 minutes. Ladle into sterilized jars. Wipe rims.
Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes. Makes 8
to 10 quarts.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY APPLE BUTTER

8 pounds apples
4 cups apple cider
4 cups brown sugar replacement
4 cups Splenda
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 cup lemon juice

Wash apples, cut off stem and blossom end. Do not peel or core. Cut
into small pieces. Add apples and apple cider to a large stockpot,
cover and simmer until apples are soft. Reserve cooking liquid. Press
through a sieve or a food mill. Return pulp to the stockpot and add the
remaining ingredients. Add one-half the reserved cooking liquid. Cook
slowly on medium low heat until thick enough to round up on a spoon (45
minutes to an hour). As pulp thickens, stir frequently to prevent
sticking. If it gets too thick, add some more of the reserved cooking
liquid until you get the desired consistency. Ladle into sterilized
jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in
a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Yields 10 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

Just a quick note to say "thanks" for all the e-mails and e-cards
wishing us a Happy Easter.

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 113 (Monday, 4-04-05)<><><>