Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 114 - 4-11-05  justjeanne49
 Apr 10, 2005 12:53 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 114 (Monday, 4-11-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 114 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

The weather here in Illinois is very typical. The mornings are cold
enough that you need to have the heat on in your car and you need a
jacket. By the time you work eight or more hours and are ready to
return home, you definitely can toss the jacket and either open the
sunroof and windows or turn the air conditioning on in the car. It is
nothing for temperatures to fluctuate by 30 degrees in a single day.

In spite of absolute total neglect in my garden all last year because of
my surgery, here is what is happening. Underneath the dead weeds in my
raised herb bed, I have scallions (green onions), chives, several
varieties of mints, and both Italian and Greek oregano growing. I also
can see little green patches but haven't had a chance to get in there
and figure out what is growing. They are definitely herbs of some sort.
What I need to do, when the weather cooperates, is to carefully dig out
what is growing and temporarily stick them in large pots. Then I need
to move the topsoil to one side, lay down weed barrier, put the dirt
back and repeat the procedure. Then I will replant the herb seedlings
by cutting a hole in the weed barrier and sticking the herb seedlings
back into the raised bed.

In the other raised bed where I have 12 rose bushes, each a different
color and variety, the largest rose bush (a climber) is green and has
tons of little green buds all over the branches. I also see a lot of
weeds in that raised bed as well.

Back on the home redecorating front, I had to take down the curtains in
the bathroom, cut them down and re-hem them. They now look perfect and
we do not have to hunt for the built in toilet paper holder.....hee hee
hee.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

"Man always travels along precipices. His truest obligation is to keep
his balance."
~Pope John Paul II~

"Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live
with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny,
inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement."
~Foster C. McClellan~

"Happiness is mostly a by-product of doing what makes us feel
fulfilled."
~Dr. Benjamin Spock

"Success doesn't 'happen'. It is organized, preempted, captured, by
consecrated common sense."
~F. E. Willard~

"Happiness is essentially a state of going somewhere, wholeheartedly,
one-directionally, without regret or reservation."
~William H. Sheldon~

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around."
~Henry David Thoreau~

"Happiness is mostly a by-product of doing what makes us feel
fulfilled."
~Dr. Benjamin Spock

"Success doesn't 'happen'. It is organized, preempted, captured, by
consecrated common sense."
~F. E. Willard~

"Happiness is essentially a state of going somewhere, '
wholeheartedly, one-directionally, without regret or '
reservation."
~William H. Sheldon~

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around."
~Henry David Thoreau~

"Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing yet
had been done."
~C. S. Lewis~

"Trials, temptations, disappointments; all these are helps instead of
hindrances, if one uses them rightly. They not only test the fiber of a
character, but strengthen it. Every conquered temptation represents a
new fund of moral energy. Every trial endured and weathered in the
right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before."
~James Buckham~

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they
were the big things."
~Robert Brault~

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted
in spite of your changing moods."
~C. S. Lewis~

"We turn not older with years, but newer every day."
~Emily Dickinson~

"Without discipline, there's no life at all."
~ Katharine Hepburn~

"They say that God is everywhere, and yet we always think of Him as
somewhat of a recluse."
~Emily Dickinson~

"The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes
from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't."
~Henry Ward Beecher~

"Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to
watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know
everything there is to be known."
~Winnie-the-Pooh~

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a
faithful servant. We have created a society which honors the servant,
and forgets about the gift."
~Albert Einstein~

"The most memorable moments in life can be enjoyed by doing nothing."
~ Sheila Edenfield~

"The greatest achievements were at first and for a time dreams. The oak
sleeps in the acorn."
~ James Allen~

"Live, Love, And Learn"

The meaning of life is simple, to live, love, and learn.

Live: Everything in nature is designed to live or to thrive or to help
something else to live. There is even a species of insect that's sole
purpose is to be born, mate, lay their eggs, and pass on.

Love: In every culture in the world there is at least some concept
related to the idea of love. Love for ones parents, siblings, kin,
clan, country, or nation. It is a natural instinct to find
companionship and it is one of our greatest necessities

Learn: The universe is so grand and magnificent and endless. The only
way to expand our selves is to learn as much as we can, what is the
point in having the greatest technology when we don't have the minds to
understand it, at this point many of us don't even have the minds to
understand ourselves.

You only reap what you sow. So plant only good intentions and watch how
fast they will grow!

Who would have ever heard of Theodore Roosevelt outside of his immediate
community if he had only half committed himself to what he had
undertaken, if he had brought only a part of himself to his task? The
great secret of his career has been that he has flung his whole life,
not a part of it, with all the determination and energy and power he
could muster, into everything he has undertaken. No dillydallying, no
faint-hearted efforts, no lukewarm purpose for him!

~Orison Sweet Marden~

"In My Prayers"

As you make your way through a fog of tears, a landslide of heartache
and multiple fears, I'll remember you in my prayers.

While God holds you safe in the palm of His hand and sends His angels to
help you stand, I'll remember you in my prayers.

Each minute you long for peace and rest, courageously fighting this
willful test, I'll remember you in my prayers.

When a ray of hope pierces the night and your faith is renewed by the
heavenly sight, I'll drop to my knees and thank the Lord for the grace
of prayer and your spirit restored.

(c) 2001 Terri McPherson
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
tmcp-@mnsi.net

"Everyone's life is an object lesson to others."
~Karl G. Maeser~

"True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable."
~David Tyson Gentry~

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until
they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
~Anais Nin~

"Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together."
~Woodrow Wilson~

"A friend is one who sees through you and still enjoys the view."
~Wilma Askinas~

"Of all the earthly music, that which reaches farthest into heaven is
the beating of a truly loving heart."
~ Henry Ward Beecher~

"If you want a place in the sun, prepare to put up with a few blisters."

~Abigail Van Buren~

"Security is an illusion. Life is either a daring adventure or it is
nothing
at all."
~Helen Keller~

"Childhood itself is scarcely more lovely than a cheerful, kindly,
sunshiny old age." ~Lydia M. Child~

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."
~Anne Frank ~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Cheddar Cheese Soup
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Weinerschnitzel And Noodles
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Buttermilk Chocolate Loaf
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Creamed Chicken and Noodles
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Frank 'N Beans
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Cherry Almond Coffeecake
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Cheesy Dog Treats
   Recipe:   Kitty Kookies
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Banana Nut Bread Conserve
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Peachy Almond Conserve
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Vidalia Onion Relish
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Raspberry Surprise Preserves
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 scallions (green onions), diced
4 cups low-fat chicken broth
6 ounces reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
2 springs parsley, chopped
2 to 3 ounces reduced-fat ham, diced
Tabasco sauce
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
Bacon bits
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat chicken stock. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. Sauté carrots and
onions in extra virgin olive oil until tender. Add to broth. Make a
roux with 2 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons flour. Simply melt
butter or margarine. Whisk in flour and stir over medium heat for 2-3
minutes. Add to stock. Add cheddar cheese, parsley, ham and 1 drop
Tabasco sauce. Season to taste. Heat until cheese is melted. Top with
bacon bits when served. Makes 4 (8-ounce) servings.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY WEINERSCHNITZEL AND NOODLES

4 (6 ounce) boneless pork cutlets
salt and ground pepper to taste
whole wheat pastry flour for dredging
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
1 cup fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon capers
lemon wedges
1 pound whole-wheat noodles
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Place the cutlets between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a
meat mallet until the cutlets until thin. Sprinkle lightly on both
sides with salt and pepper. Dredge them lightly but thoroughly in
flour. Beat the egg lightly with the water and dip the floured cutlets
in the mixture; coat with crumbs. Using your fingertips, press the
cutlets on each side so that the breadcrumbs will adhere well to the
meat. Transfer them to a wire rack. Refrigerate for one or two hours.
This will help the breading to adhere to the cutlets when they are being
cooked. Heat the extra virgin olive in a large non-stick skillet and,
when it is hot sauté the cutlets on medium heat in it until they are
golden brown on both sides. When done, drain on a plate covered with
paper toweling to remove any excess fats. Meanwhile, cook the
whole-wheat noodles in water with a little salt until tender. Drain in
a colander. Put the hot noodles back into the pot and toss with melted
butter or margarine. Transfer to a serving platter. Arrange the
cutlets on top of the hot noodles and garnish with the capers and lemon
wedges. Serve immediately. Serves four.

Now even those eating healthier can have their cake and eat it too.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BUTTERMILK CHOCOLATE LOAF

1 cup Splenda
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1-3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unsweetened pure cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom only of a loaf pan
with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine Splenda, applesauce and
vanilla extract, blending thoroughly. Add eggs and mix well. Stir in
buttermilk. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Stir just until dry particles are moistened. Fold in chopped walnuts.
Pour into greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 65 minutes or
until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15
minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire cake rack completely before
slicing. Serves 12.

This I adapted from a family favorite "comfort" food recipe my late Mom
used to make.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CREAMED CHICKEN AND NOODLES

3 cups cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1/2 cup skim milk
1 (10-3/4 ounce) can Campbell's 98% fat-free Cream of Chicken soup
1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 (10ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 pound package whole-wheat noodles
2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mozzarella cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine chicken, milk, poultry
seasoning, onion powder, white pepper, soup, mushrooms and vegetables in
a large saucepan. Place over medium heat, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or
until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Cook
noodles in water until tender. Drain in colander. Spray a lasagna pan
with cooking spray. Put cooked noodles on bottom of pan. Put
chicken/veggie mixture on top. Evenly distribute Mozzarella cheese on
top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese
is hot and bubbly. Serves 4 to 6.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 500 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

KITCHEN HINTS FOR TEA:

Begin with cold water when brewing tea.
Never boil tea.
To prevent bitter tasting tea, remove tea bags after tea has steeped.
Use simple syrup to sweeten large quantities of tea.
When preparing iced tea for a crowd, vary the flavor by adding 6 ounces
of frozen lemonade to 1 gallon of tea.
Make ice cubes with leftover tea. These cubes added to a drink will not
dilute the beverage. You can do this with ice coffee, soda, lemonade,
all juices and even make cider ice cubes.
Freeze fruit juice for ice cubes-add to tea ad garnish with springs of
fresh mint.
Ice tea requires half as much sugar if sweetened hot, rather than cold.
Flavor sugar lumps for tea. Drop tiny bits of lemon juice on the sugar
cubs to be used in the tea. Be careful not to dissolve the sugar. You
can also try orange or lime juice.
For extra flavor, store tea bags in a jar with a citrus peel, vanilla
bean or cinnamon sticks.
For varied punch flavors, try using decaf teas.

Another family favorite "comfort" food recipe I adapted from the recipe
my late Mom used to make.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRANKS 'N BEANS

2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 quart diced tomatoes with juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar replacement
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon powdered dry mustard or 1 teaspoon prepared grainy mustard
8 reduced-fat hot dogs, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
8 ounces canned small pink, white or red beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. In large saucepan, heat extra virgin
olive oil. Add onions and green pepper. Sauté until vegetables are
tender. Stir in tomatoes with juice, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar,
brown sugar replacement, Paprika, and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat, cover, and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Add
sliced hot dogs and beans to saucepan and stir to combine. Spray a
casserole dish with cooking spray. Transfer mixture and evenly sprinkle
with shredded Cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for
15-20 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubble. Serves 4 to 6.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHERRY ALMOND COFFEECAKE

2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup Splenda
3 large eggs (separate one of them)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup skim milk
1-1/2 cups pitted cherries, roughly chopped
1 cup sliced almonds
3 tablespoons brown sugar replacement

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8 X 8-inch baking dish
with cooking spray and set aside.   Sift together flour, baking powder,
baking soda and sea salt. Set aside. Beat together butter, 1 cup
Splenda, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until light and
fluffy. Beat in 2 whole eggs and one yolk, one at a time. Alternately
add flour mixture and milk in batches, beginning and ending with flour
mixture. Mix well. Fold in chopped cherries. Spoon batter into
prepared baking dish. Lightly beat egg white with fork. Add 3
tablespoons brown sugar replacement and sliced almonds. Stir until
almonds are lightly coated. Spoon topping over batter. Bake 50-60
minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center
comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack approximately 10 minutes.   Serves
10 to 12.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 300 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

CHEESY DOG TREATS

3 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup oats, uncooked
1 cup Parmesan, mozzarella, or Romano cheese, grated
2 tablespoons margarine or shortening
1 large egg, beaten
2/3 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup water
Olive oil
Garlic powder

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, oats, and cheese, and
cut in margarine or shortening. Add egg, tomato sauce, and water, and
mix well. Knead lightly, then refrigerate for 1 hour. Divide dough
into two parts, and roll out to 1-inch thickness on a floured board.
Cut into rounds or triangles or use a bone-shape cookie cutter. Place
biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet. Prick with a fork, brush with
olive oil, and sprinkle with garlic powder. Bake at 375 degrees F 10-12
minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool and serve. Store in
refrigerator.

KITTY KOOKIES

1 cup whole-wheat flour
6-oz can tuna in oil, un-drained
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large egg

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl,
adding a little water if dough is too stiff. On a lightly floured
surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into shapes with your
favorite cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350
degrees F for 20 minutes or until firm. Store in an airtight container.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Links To Sites For Younger Children

http://fsafallriver.homestead.com/youngchild.html

http://www.shastacapc.org/WOYC2004Cal.pdf#search='crafts%20for%20the%20week%20of%20the%20young%20child'

http://www.crayola.com/calendar/detail.cfm?event_id=128&year=2004

http://123child.com/act/

http://www.richmondsmartstart.org/ccawoyc.htm

http://www.123child.com/UBB/archive/index.php/t-446

http://www.freep.com/features/living/meijer11_20040611.htm

http://www.askthepreschoolteacher.com/ques82.shtml

Download and printout the complete set from the Number Tracers link
http://www.janbrett.com/numbers/number_tracers_main_page.htm

This picture frame is great for kids to make and give as a gift to
Grandparents or for Mother's Day!
http://tinyurl.com/5m2nr

Science And Educational Projects
http://www.craftmartaz.com/projects/k_proj/kidscience.htm

Raggedy Friends Printables
http://simplygraphics.net/freeraggedy.html

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Heat Index For Hot Peppers
http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

Gardening Hints
www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg.html

Time-tested advice on how to plan, prepare, grow and harvest a bountiful
family vegetable garden.
www.backroadhome.com/garden-hints.html

The Seed Program for gardeners - growing hints, organize your garden,
planting schedule, gardening journal, garden design software.
www.cniche.com/seed/hints.htm

Gardening Hints for People With Arthritis
http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat/EM8499-e.pdf

Growing Eggplant Successfully
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/Communications/pdfs_bak/pub1986eggplant.pdf

Square Foot Gardening
http://www.squarefootgardening.org.uk/sqfttips.htm

Gardening Questions Answered
http://members.aol.com/valecroft/gardeningquestionsansweredhomepagetext.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

"Your Angel"

Once upon a time there was a child ready to be born. So one day he
asked God "They tell me you are sending me to earth tomorrow but how am
I going to live there being so small and helpless?" God replied, "Among
the many angels, I chose one for you. She will be waiting for you and
will take care of you."

"But tell me, here in Heaven, I don't do anything else but sing and
smile, that's enough for me to be happy." "Your angel will sing for you
and will also smile for you every day. And you will feel your angel's
love and be happy." "And how am I going to be able to understand when
people talk to me, if I don't know the language that men talk?"

"Your angel will tell you the most beautiful and sweet words you will
ever hear, and with much patience and care, your angel will teach you
how to speak." "And what am I going to do when I want to talk to you?"
"Your angel will place your hands together and will teach you how to
pray."

"I've heard that on earth there are bad men. Who will protect me?"
"Your angel will defend you even if it means risking its life." "But I
will always be sad because I will not see you anymore." "Your angel
will always talk to you about me and will teach you the way for you to
come back to me, even though I will always be next to you."

At that moment there was much peace in Heaven, but voices from earth
could already be heard, and the child in a hurry asked softly, "Oh God,
if I am about to leave now, please tell me my angel's name." "Your
angel's name is of no importance, you will call your angel Mommy."

~Author Unknown~

"Just A Breath Away"

Look for me in springtime as raindrops fill the air;
in the splendor of the rainbow, you'll find my presence there.
You will find me in the fragrance of April's sweet perfume;
drifting through the clover on a sultry day in June.

An August day will find me upon the summer breeze;
on the distant sound of the thunder; in the gently swaying trees.
In the golden fields of harvest, is where I can be found;
as autumn time approaches and leaves comes tumbling down.

In the wintertime when days are short and chill is in the air,
just look into a moonlit night, you'll find me lingering there.
When the setting sun has gone away and shadows fill the night;
when the cloak of darkness lifts its veil, I'll be your morning light.

So when you feel discouraged, get on your knees and pray;
you'll feel me there beside you. I'm just a breath away.

Copyright (c)2001 Marilyn Ferguson

"Through A Child's Eye"

The world is an adventure, there's so many things to see,
the search for buried treasure, climbing high up in a tree.
Finding shells along the seashore, playing marbles in the sand,
skipping stones across a pond, throwing as far as you can.

Playing a game of hide and seek, way back out in the woods,
pretending your a robber, and stealing all the goods.
Wading barefoot in a creek, and trying to catch a frog,
or going to your favorite park, and playing Frisbee with your dog.

And as I sit and wonder, it comes as no surprise,
how little things can seem so big, seen through a child's eyes.

~Author Unknown~

What time is it when 3 bears are chasing you?
3 after 1!

What do you do when an elephant sits on your toe?
Call a toe truck!

Which vampire won the race?
Neither; they were neck to neck.!

Where to trains race?
At a track meet!

Why did the turkey cross the road?
To prove he wasn't a chicken!

What kind of shoes can you make from bananas?
Slippers!

Why did the elephant paint his toenails red?
So he could hide in a strawberry patch!

What kind of fish goes best with a peanut butter sandwich?
Jellyfish!

Why did the little girl bring lipstick and eye shadow to school?
She had a make-up exam!

What happened to the egg who went bad?
It was eggs-secuted!

What did the egg say to the blender?
I know when I'm beaten!

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

I swear that this tastes just like homemade banana nut bread at a lot
less calories.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BANANA NUT BREAD CONSERVE

20 ripe bananas, pureed (about 6 cups)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups Splenda
1 cup brown sugar replacement
2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 package powdered pectin
1-1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
2 tablespoons pure walnut extract

In a large stockpot, combine pureed bananas, lemon juice, apple pie
spice and powdered pectin. Stir while bringing to a full rolling boil.
Add the Splenda and brown sugar replacement. Stir continuously and heat
until full rolling boil. Continue to heat 1 minute. Remove from heat
and stir in the walnut extract. Fold in chopped walnuts. Ladle into
sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch head space. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 pints.

This is just so yummy. The almonds and almond extract really marries
well with the fresh peaches.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY PEACHY ALMOND CONSERVE

9 cups peeled, seeded and chopped peaches
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 cups Splenda
2 tablespoons pure almond extract
1 package powdered pectin
1-1/2 cups chopped almonds

Put peaches, lemon juice, Splenda, and pectin into a large stockpot.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn heat to medium and cook
about 15 minutes until mixture thickens. Stir constantly to prevent
scorching. Remove from heat and fold in chopped almonds. Ladle hot
into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Remove air bubbles.
Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process 15 minutes in water bath canner.
Yield: 7-8 pints.

This is the perfect way to preserve those Vidalia onions which have a
very short season. The tarragon and Herbes de Provence add a delightful
flavor to these. Serve these cold as a side dish with meats or use as a
marinade.

JEANNE'S SPLENDA VIDALIA ONION RELISH

10 pounds Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced thinly
1 gallon white vinegar
6 cups Splenda
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
4 tablespoons dried French tarragon
4 tablespoons Herbes de Provence
4 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
1 head garlic, peeled and sliced thinly

Make a spice ball with the pickling spice. Combine all ingredients in a
large stockpot. Bring to a boil and simmer until onions are tender
(about 25 minutes). Remove and discard spice ball. Ladle into
sterilized jars. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath
canner for 10 minutes. Yields 10 quarts.

Now this is an unusual recipe because no one knows what the secret
ingredient is. No one can guess that there are beets in this
scrumptious preserves. The color is a bright red and the flavor is
delightful. It can be made healthier by using Splenda and sugar-free
Jell-O.

JEANNE'S RASPBERRY SURPRISE PRESERVES

10 lbs large beets, cooked, peeled and pureed
cold water to cover
7-1/2 cups reserved beet juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated dried lemon peel
2 packages powdered pectin
5 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
2 (3 ounce) packages raspberry Jell-O (sugar free if desired)

Cook beets in water until tender. Remove from stockpot with slotted
spoon. When cool, peel, cut into chunks and puree in a food processor.
Reserve juice from cooking the beets and measure 7-1/2 cups (add water
if necessary to get 7-1/2 cups juice). Combined pureed beets, beet
juice, lemon juice, grated lemon peel and pectin. Stir until combined
and heat on medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Add sugar or
Splenda and powdered Jell-O. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring
frequently to prevent scorching. Skim off foam, if necessary. Ladle
into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles.
Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10
minutes. Yields: 6-8 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Collette, wrote:

Jeanne, I just wanted to drop you a note to say how much I enjoy your
newsletter. I cannot believe how many interesting things you share each
week. I have been snatching your healthier recipes and making them for
my overweight hubby whose doctor has ordered him to drop 75 pounds due
to high blood pressure and cholesterol levels off the charts. He has
lost 10 pounds so far in two weeks and he cannot believe that he is
actually eating healthy food because he enjoys the dishes so much. Your
healthy impossible asparagus pie and your healthy lasagna are two of his
favorites. Please keep the healthy recipes coming. The whole family
loves them. Hugs, Collette^^^

[Collette, thanks for the lovely note. It is always nice to know that
people enjoy the recipes I share with them, especially the healthier
versions.]

^^^reader, Jenna, wrote:

Jeanne and Chelsea, I had to write to tell you that I love "JJ". Always
so much stuff in it. I made your healthy shrimp and asparagus casserole
last week and took it to a dinner party at my sister-in-law's house. It
got rave reviews. No one suspected it was good for them. Everyone
wanted the recipe so I emailed it to them and gave them the link to get
your wonderful newsletter. Chelsea's kids links are so much fun for my
son and daughter. They bug me every Sunday because they know there will
be tons of stuff for them. Thanks for all you and Chelsea do for so
many people. Regards, Jenna^^^

[Jenna, thank you for the nice email. I absolutely love the shrimp and
asparagus casserole. I only make it when asparagus is on sale.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 114 (Monday, 4-11-05)<><><>