Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 115 - 4-18-06  justjeanne49
 Apr 17, 2005 12:37 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 115 (Monday, 4-18-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 115 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Spring is definitely here in Illinois. On Saturday, I puttered a little
while in the front and back yard, picking up dead twigs. I see that my
Hostas in the front are starting to pop up. My Russian Sage out front
is starting to bud so I trimmed the dead parts with sheers. I see all
kinds of herbs in my raised herb bed in back. I have already harvested
and used scallions (green onions) and chives. I have several varieties
of mint and oregano growing. The herb bed is badly neglected as is my
whole garden due to my spinal surgery last April. However, in spite of
the dead weeds, things have come back quite nicely. I plan to dig out
all these little seedlings and pot them temporarily. Then I need to get
rids of the weeds, lay down that plastic weed barrier, and replant what
I dug out.

I have been busy creating lots of new healthy recipes. I also got lots
of low carb products from one of the freecyling groups I belong to. The
lady also gave me a

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

"Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely
improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future,
without fear."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

"Never speak of yourself to others; make them talk about themselves
instead; therein lies the whole art of pleasing."
~J. E de Goncourt~

"Nothing lowers the level of conversation more than raising the voice."
~Stanley Horowitz~

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of
happiness."
~Bertrand Russell~

"To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower, hold
infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour."
~William Blake~

"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings. He who binds to
himself a joy, does the winged life destroy: But he who kisses the joy
as it flies, lives in eternity's sunrise."
~William Blake~

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
~Beverly Sills~

"We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in
the world."
~Helen Keller~

"Do not judge men by mere appearances; for the light laughter that
bubbles on the lip often mantles over the depths of sadness, and the
serious look may be the sober veil that covers a divine peace and joy."
~E. H. Chapin~

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there
will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending,
ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the
journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and
glory of the climb."
~Sir Winston Churchill~

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"Give me the love that leads the way, the faith that nothing can dismay,
the hope no disappointments tire, the passion that will burn like fire.
Let me not sink to be a clod: Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God."
~Amy Carmichael~

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already
tomorrow in Australia"
~Charles M. Schulz~

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could
know how seldom they do."
~Olin Miller~

"In case you're worried about what's going to become of the younger
generation, it's going to grow up and start worrying about the younger
generation."
~ Roger Allen~

"When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside
always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to
worry about."
~Albert Einstein~

"Happiness is always a by-product. It is probably a matter of
temperament, and for anything I know it may be glandular. But it is not
something that can be demanded from life, and if you are not happy you
had better stop worrying about it and see what treasures you can pluck
from your own brand of unhappiness."
~Robertson Davies~

"Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple
of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself
not to worry. Worry never fixes anything."
~Mary Hemingway~

"The best cure for worry, depression, melancholy, brooding, is to go
deliberately forth and try to lift with one's sympathy the gloom of
somebody else."
~Arnold Bennett~

"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice
from me. With God in charge, I believe everything will work out for the
best in the end. So what is there to worry about." ~ Henry Ford~

"The friend of my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better
trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those
who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity."
~Ulysses. S. Grant~

"Life is the acceptance of responsibilities or their evasion; it is a
business of meeting obligations or avoiding them. To every man the
choice is continually being offered, and by the manner of his choosing
you may fairly measure him."
~Ben Ames Williams~

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
~ John Lennon~

"Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what
you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
~Lou Holtz~

"Being means not numbering and counting, but ripening like a tree, which
doesn't force its sap, and stands confidently in the storms of spring,
not afraid that afterward summer may not come. It does come. But it
comes only to those who are patient, who are there as if eternity lay
before them, so unconcernedly silent and vast. I learn it every day of
my life, learn it with pain I am grateful for patience is everything!"
~Rainer Maria Rilke~

"When we are mindful of every nuance of our natural world, we finally
get the picture; that we are only given one dazzling moment of life here
on Earth, and we must stand before that reality both humbled and
elevated, subject to every law of our universe and grateful for our
brief but intrinsic participation with it.
~Elizabeth Gilbert~

"If I had my life to live over again, I would have made a rule to read
some poetry and listen to some music at least once a week."
~Charles Darwin~

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
~Confucius~

"It is raining still. Maybe it is not one of those showers that is here
one minute and gone the next, as I had so boldly assumed. Maybe none of
them are. After all, life in itself is a chain of rainy days. But
there are times when not all of us have umbrellas to walk under. Those
are the times when we need people who are willing to lend their
umbrellas to a wet stranger on a rainy day. I think I'll go for a walk
with my umbrella."
~Sun Yun Park~

"Share our similarities, celebrate our differences."
~M Scott Peck~

"The Size of Your Heart"

It isn't the size of your house as such that matters so much at all.
It's the gentle hand and its loving touch that make it great or small.
The friends who come and the hour they who out of your house depart,
will judge it not by the style you show, but rather by the size of your
heart.

It isn't the size of your head so much. It isn't the wealth you found
that will make you happy. it's how you touch the lives that are all
around.
For making money is not hard. To live life well is an art.
How people love you, how they regard, is all in the size of your heart.

~Author Unknown~

"A Penny"

I found a penny today just laying on the ground,
but it's not just a penny, this little coin I've found.
Found pennies come from Heaven, that's what my Grandpa told me.
He said, "Angels toss them down." Oh, how I loved that story.

He said, "When an angel misses you, they toss a penny down,
sometimes just to cheer you up, to make a smile out of your frown."
So don't pass by that penny when you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from Heaven that an angel's tossed to you.

~Author Unknown!

"What you can do, or think you can, begin it."
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe~

"If you decide to love a person even with his faults, that's not chance.
That's choice."
~Audrey Hepburn~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Mexican Spinach Dip With Healthy Tortilla
Chips
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Stuffed Chicken Breasts I
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Ukrainian Cabbage and Beef
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Spinach and Mushroom Casserole
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Dessert Lasagna
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Fruit and Nut Tortillas
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Apple Cinnamon Dog Cookies
   Recipe:   For Finicky Felines
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Marinara Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Hot Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Taco Sauce With Meat
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Onion and Red Pepper Relish
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

Here is a favorite of mine that is healthy too.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY MEXICAN SPINACH DIP WITH HEALTHY TORTILLA CHIPS

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 quart jar salsa
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened and diced
1 cup reduced-fat evaporated milk
1 (2.25 ounce) can chopped black olives, drained
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2-3 drops Tabasco sauce (I like the smoky Chipolte flavor)
salt and pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Thaw spinach and drain in a colander.
Using your hands, squeeze out all the liquid. In a medium baking dish,
mix together all ingredients until well-combined. Spray a casserole
dish lightly with cooking spray. Bake uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes or
until hot and bubbly. Serve with homemade tortilla chips.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY TORTILLA CHIPS

1 -2 packages whole-wheat tortillas
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush both sides of tortillas with
extra virgin olive oil. Salt both sides lightly. Cut each tortilla
into 12-16 triangles (depending upon the size you want). Place on a
cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at
400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Using a pancake turner, turn the chips
over and bake another 8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS I

6 boneless, and skinless chicken breast
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
4 tablespoons whole-wheat breadcrumbs
4 teaspoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 quart pasta sauce

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut chicken breasts in half. Place
between sheets of plastic wax; gently pound with a meat mallet to
flatten evenly. In a large skillet, sauté onion slices, mushrooms, and
celery until tender. Remove from heat. Add egg, parsley, bread crumbs,
Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning. Stir
until well-combined. .Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper and
fill with even portions of the filling mixture. Roll up and secure with
toothpicks. Spray a lasagna pan with cooking spray and arrange chicken
in bottom. Spoon any extra filling around the chicken rolls. Pour
pasta sauce over the stuffed chicken breast rolls. Sprinkle second cup
of grated Mozzarella cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for
1 hour. Carefully remove toothpicks and serve with cooked brown rice.
Serves 4 to 6.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY SPINACH AND MUSHROOM CASSEROLE II

2 pounds chopped, frozen spinach
1-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, cut up
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
2-3 tablespoons minced garlic
1-1/2 pounds reduced-fat Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
black pepper, to taste

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Thaw spinach and drain in a colander.
Using your hands, squeeze out all the liquid. Sauté mushrooms, onion
and garlic in extra virgin olive oil until tender. Lightly spray a
2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, combine
drained spinach and cooked mushrooms, onions and garlic. Add salt and
pepper. Mix well. Layer one-third of this mixture in prepared
casserole dish. Top with one-third of the Swiss cheese. Repeat twice
more. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes or until
bubbly and the cheese is golden brown.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY UKRAINIAN CABBAGE AND BEEF

1 large or two small heads cabbage
3-1/2 to 4 lbs. ground beef
1 cup finely minced onions
3 beef bullion cubes finely crumbled
2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
4-5 whole bay leaves
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
4 cups skim milk
1-1/2 cups water
4 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 containers (16 oz) light sour cream

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove tough outer leaves from cabbage,
core and cut into wedges about three inches thick. Place in a roasting
pan sprayed with cooking oil. In a large mixing bowl combine ground
beef, onions, ground black pepper and crumbled bullion cubes. Mix
thoroughly and form into burger size patties. Place patties between
wedges of cabbage. Add bay leaves and peppercorns. In a frying pan,
make a rue by melting butter or margarine. Add flour slowly stirring
constantly with a whisk. Continue cooking until lightly browned.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Whisk in milk and water and stir until
well blended. Slowly whisk in sour cream and stir until blended. Pour
over cabbage and meat.   Cover roaster with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Bake at 350 degrees for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or so until cabbage is tender.
Gravy will be brown in color. Remove bay leaves. Leftovers can be
frozen and reheated for a later meal.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 500 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

Lasagna doesn't have to be made with meat, veggies and tomato sauce.
This is another healthy dessert that you can be very creative with. Use
whatever pie filling you like; apple, cherry; blueberry, pineapple, or
what suits your fancy.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY DESSERT LASAGNA

1 pound whole-wheat lasagna noodles
2 quarts of your favorite low sugar pie filling
2 cups reduced-fat Ricotta cheese
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/4 cup Splenda
6 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
6 tablespoons brown sugar replacement
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain yogurt
1/3 cup brown sugar replacement

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare lasagna noodles according to
package directions; drain. Spray a lasagna pan (9 X 13 X 2-inch)
lightly with cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, combine Ricotta cheese,
lightly beaten eggs, almond extract and Splenda until well-combined.
Spread one quart of the pie filling on the bottom. Top with half the
cooked lasagna noodles. Top with the one-half cheese mixture. Repeat.
In a mixing bowl, combine softened butter or margarine, brown sugar
replacement, oats and nutmeg until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbly topping
over this, patting down gently with your fingertips. Bake uncovered at
350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 15
minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
or yogurt and 1/3 cup brown sugar replacement. Cut into 12 to 14 equal
portions. Dollop each piece with an equal portion of the sweetened
cheese mixture. Serves 12 to 14. This can be served either warm or
cold. It is yummy either way.

What I love about this healthy dessert is that you can use whatever kind
of low sugar pie filling you like; apple, peach, cherry, pineapple,
blueberry, or whatever. Since I can my own using Splenda, I know they
are sugar-free.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRUIT AND NUT FILLED TORTILLAS

1 quart of your favorite low sugar pie filling
1 cup low sugar "matching" fruit preserves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
12 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup brown sugar replacement
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 containers "matching" fruit flavored yogurt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl combine pie filling,
preserves, chopped nuts, cinnamon, and vanilla and stir until
well-combined. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the pie filling evenly down the
center of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla up and place them, seam side
down, in a lasagna pan that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
Bring the butter, Splenda, brown sugar replacement and water to a boil
in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes; stirring constantly.
Pour the mixture over the tortillas.   Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F
for 20 minutes. Serves 6. These may be served warm or cold. You can
top each serving of two tortillas with your favorite matching fruit
flavored low fat yogurt.

VARIATION: You may also mix and match the pie filling flavor with the
preserves. I happen to put up kiwi pineapple preserves and have used a
quart the last time I made these instead of pie filling. Yummy.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 300 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

APPLE CINNAMON DOG COOKIES

1 pound dried apples
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup ice water
1/2 cup corn oil
5 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup powdered milk
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon corn oil

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Put the apples in a food processor so
that pieces are small. Combine in a bowl all of the ingredients (add
oil or water if dough is too dry). Using a rolling pin, roll out dough
to about -3/16-inch thickness (can make thinner or thicker). Using a
cookie cutter, cut into shapes, place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake
at 350 degrees for approximately 20 -25 minutes (until golden). Cool on
wire cake racks. Store in a container with a tight-fitting lid.

FOR FINICKY FELINES

1 cup chicken, boiled or micro-waved
1/4 cup fresh broccoli, steamed
1/4 cup shredded carrots, steamed
chicken broth

Mix ingredients with enough chicken broth to hold together. This same
recipe can be used with fish (broil or microwave until it flakes.) You
can also vary the recipe by adding rice or other vegetables. Makes 1
serving.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

New York Kids - radio for kids. Wacky characters host fun games for
kids.
http://www.nykids.org/

Kids Domain: Summer Fun - offers games and activities for kids as well
as information on summer holidays
http://www.kidsdomain.com/holiday/summer/

Fun for Kids by Jen - designed for children K-6 and offering links to
information, games, interactive sites, and arts and crafts.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1850/

FunBrain.com - Kids Center - Double Fun Match Web Master Dare to Be
Square Oddball, Connect the Dots Clean up The Park Guess the Color
Entrapment http://www.funbrain.com/kidscenter.html

Bay Area Kid Fun - offers organized links to kid-friendly parks,
beaches, museums, libraries, events, and more in the greater San
Francisco Bay Area.
http://www.bayareakidfun.com/

Fun Trivia: Movies for Kids - features interactive quizzes with a final
rating.
http://www.funtrivia.com/dir/332.html

Infoplease Kids - facts, fun, free homework help, encyclopedia,
dictionary & online reference desk.
http://kids.infoplease.com

Dole: Fun For Kids!
http://www.dole.com/kids/index.jsp

Just for Kids! - Recipes Honey Info Foodservice Kids Press Room Athletic
Search. Bee Facts. Honey Games. Honey Glossary
http://www.honey.com/kids/

KidsCom, a fun site for kids - games, chat rooms for kids, video game
cheats and other child activities
http://www.kidscom.com/

DLTK's Printable Crafts for Kids features a variety of fun, printable
children's crafts, coloring pages, and more including projects for
holidays and educational themes
http://www.dltk-kids.com/

PBS Kids - Welcome to PBS Kids Online, home of your favorite PBS Kids
characters with thousands of pages of learning and fun to explore
http://pbskids.org/

FUN FOR KIDS - Sing along to favorite children's songs, play games and
visit two little cyber kitties
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/5857

FUNORAMA - Fun for Kids - A great place for kids, parents or teachers to
find fun and educational projects to download and print. Click Here
Make a "Little Penguin's Tale" Mobile
http://www.funorama.com/

Kidzone - Fun Facts for Kids! - Fun facts for kids, photos and printable
activity worksheets. Suitable for Kindergarten through Grade 6
http://www.kidzone.ws/

Montana Kids - fun and informative site designed to teach kids about the
many things to see and do in Big Sky Co
http://www.montanakids.com/

Fun Stuff - FirstGov for Kids - Jazz Kids - Check out this fun newspaper
for kids featuring news and reviews, kids' writing, games, trivia, and a
great page that's fun for kids so they will enjoy learning
http://www.kids.gov/k_funstuff.htm

Veggie Kids - fun recipes, tips for feeding vegetarian kids, and more
http://www.execpc.com/~veggie/tips.html

Fun For Kids - Home Page -Summertime Fun. Bee-aMazed Children's Garden.
Garden Features for Children. Bee-aMazed Garden Fun. Garden Railway. -
... FUN FOR KIDS. Events by Category. Fabulous Fun Days. Summertime
Fun. Bee-aMazed Children's Garden
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/FunForKids/homepage.htm

MaMaMedia.com - THE place for Kids on the Net - A little imagination
leads to big fun at MaMaMedia.com. Create cartoons, play challenging
games, make wacky creatures, paint digital pictures, design and send
animated cards and more
http://www.mamamedia.com/

Travel for Kids - offers worldwide information about where to find fun
things to do and see with children
http://www.travelforkids.com/

Got Milk? Gives kids a fun way to learn about nutrition and the
importance of dairy products as they grow. Features fun games and
recipes that are easy for younger kids
http://www.got-milk.com

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

It Is Impossible To Get Through This Maze
http://i.euniverse.com/funpages/cms_content/6489/a-maze-ing_new_cursor3.swf

Flower Power Rug
http://www,bfranklincrafts.com/CraftIdea-FlowerRug.html

Creating Your Own Printable Cookbook
http://www.recipecircus.com/cookbook.html

The Ultimate Crocheted Kitchen Gift Basket
http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/kitchenbasket.htm

Pink Flower Tray
http://www.holidaycrafter.com/article1065.html

Sea Shell Butterfly Magnet
http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/seashells/a/blshellbutter.htm

Basket with Bead Fringe
http://www.frugalcrafts.com/craft_projects/Miscellaneous/beadbasket.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

"We Wish"

How often we wish for another chance to make a fresh beginning,
a chance to blot out our mistakes and change failure into winning.
It does not take a special time to make a brand-new start,
it only takes the deep desire to try with all our heart.

To live a little better, to always be forgiving.
To add a little sunshine in a world for which we're living.
Never give up in despair nor think you are through,
for there's always a tomorrow, with a chance to start a new.

~Author Unknown~

"Did Anyone Ever Tell You?"

Did anyone ever tell you just how special you really are?
The light that you emit might even light a star.
Did anyone ever tell you how important you make others feel?
Somebody out here is smiling about love that is so very real.

Did anyone ever tell you many times, when they were sad?
Your e-mail made them smile a bit, in fact it made them glad.
For the time you spend sending things and sharing whatever you find,
there are no words to thank you but somebody thinks you're fine.

Did anyone ever tell you just how much they love you?
Well, my dearest " online " friend, today I am telling you.

~Author Unknown~

"Nobody"

If nobody smiled and nobody cared and nobody helped us along.
If every moment looked after itself and good things always went to the
strong;
If nobody cared just a little about you and nobody cared about me, and
we stood alone, in the battle of life, what a dreary old world this
would be.

Life is sweet, just because of friends we have made and the things in
common we share.
We want to live on, not because of ourselves, but because of the people
who care.
It is doing and giving for somebody else on which all of life's splendor
depends.
The joy of this world, when you've summed it all up,
is found in the making of friends.

~Lade Thomas Conlee~

Why did the cat join the Red Cross?
Because she wanted to be a first-aid kit!

How do you know that cats are sensitive creatures?
They never cry over spilt milk!

Why was the cat so small?
Because it only ate condensed milk!

What does the lion say to his friends before they go out hunting for
food?
"Let us prey!"

Why happened when the cat swallowed a coin?
There was some money in the kitty!

What happens when you fail to pay your exorcist?
You get repossessed!

What did Noah say as he was loading the Ark?
"Now I herd everything."

"Why did the people on the ark think the horses were pessimistic?
They kept saying neigh!

What animal could Noah not trust?
The cheetah!

Who was the first canning factory run by?
Noah. He had a boat full of preserved pairs!

Was Noah the first one out of the Ark?
No, he came fourth out of the ark!

Why weren't there any worms on the ark?
Because worms come in apples not in pairs!

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

This is a very light, fresh-tasting sauce that is just yummy served over
pasta or as "gravy" for meats. When I have fresh herbs, I prefer to use
them but I have made it with dried herbs as well. I have indicated the
measurements for either fresh or dried.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY MARINARA SAUCE

18 pounds ripe Roma tomatoes
3 cups very finely minced onions
1-1/2 cups very finely minced celery
3 cups very finely minced carrots
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar or Splenda
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil or 2-2/3 tablespoons dried
1/8 cup fresh marjoram or 1 tablespoon dried
1/8 cup fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried
9 tablespoons lemon juice

Wash and core the tomatoes. Puree in a food processor or blender until
smooth and put into a large stockpot. On medium heat, sauté the onions,
carrots and celery in extra virgin olive oil under tender. Drain in a
colander to remove excess fat. Allow to cool a few minutes and puree in
a food processor or blender until smooth. Add to pureed tomatoes. If
using fresh herbs, wash and chop finely either by hand or in a food
processor or blender. Add herbs and remaining ingredients, except lemon
juice, to stockpot. Bring to a boil and turn down to medium heat and
cook another 25 to 35 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is
thickened and has reduced to approximately one-half original volume.
Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Add 1 tablespoon
lemon juice to each pint or 2 tablespoons to each quart. Remove air
bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process pints 35 minutes or quarts
40 minutes in a water bath canner. Yields 9 pints or 4-1/2 quarts.

This is a tangy but relatively mild hot sauce. If you like a very hot
sauce, use some of the hotter variety of peppers like Habanero or Scotch
Bonnets. What's fun about this hot sauce is that depending upon the
variety of hot peppers you use, you decide the heat factor. I make it
very mild in one batch, medium in another, and very hot in a third,
depending upon who is getting a jar or two as a gift. The addition of
the oregano really gives this sauce a yummy flavor. This is yummy used
as a marinade for meat, poultry or fish on the grill. It may also be
used as you would use any hot sauce.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY HOT SAUCE

2 quarts tomatoes
3 cups jalapeño peppers
3 large red onions
4 sweet green bell peppers
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
2 quarts white or red wine vinegar (may use 1 quart of each)
2 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
2 tablespoons fine sea salt
4 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
1/8 cup fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried

Wash and core the tomatoes. Puree in a food processor or blender until
smooth and put into a large stockpot. Wearing rubber gloves, remove
stem and blossom end from jalapeño peppers and seed them. Chop finely
by hand or in food processor or blender. Add to tomatoes in stockpot.
Peel onions, seed sweet bell peppers, and peel garlic cloves. Chop
finely by hand or in food processor or blender. Add to stockpot. Wash
fresh oregano and either chop by hand or in food processor or blender.
Add to stockpot. Tie pickling spices in cheesecloth and add to
stockpot. Add sugar or Splenda, salt and pepper, and 1 quart of the
vinegar. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, for 30 to 35
minutes. Add remaining quart of vinegar. Continue cooking on medium
heat, stirring frequently, for another 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and
discard spice ball. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process 35
minutes in a water bath canner. Yields 8 half-pints or 4 pints.

This is a yummy recipe and I try to keep at least a dozen quarts on hand
for those days when you want a quick meal. To serve, simply heat up
sauce. Serve with reduced-fat grated Mexican cheese, shredded lettuce,
whole-wheat tortillas, hot sauce, and a dollop of reduced-fat sour cream
and you have a very healthy and quick meal.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY TACO SAUCE WITH MEAT

10 pounds ground beef
4 cups chopped onions
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
4 quarts canned chopped tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup Taco seasoning mix (recipe below)
3-4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced (more if you like it spicier)
3-4 drops hot sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil

In a large stockpot, sauté ground beef, garlic and chopped onions in
olive oil until meat is browned. Drain excess fat in a colander.
Return to stockpot. Wearing rubber gloves, remove stem and blossom ends
of jalapeño peppers. Chop finely. Add remaining ingredients and simmer
for 20 minutes. Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1-inch head space.
Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a pressure canner pints 1 hour and
15 minutes and quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes. Yield: 12 pints or 6
quarts.

JEANNE'S TACO SEASONING

1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1 cup chili powder
4 tablespoons dried oregano
1/2 cup crushed dried red pepper
1/2 cup ground cumin

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Makes about
2 cups.

This recipe changes every time I make it. I originally used French
tarragon. I have changed the flavor a bit by substituting thyme, basil,
oregano, or even sage. It depended upon what I had ready to harvest the
day I canned it. I have varied it too by using black mustard seeds
instead of the yellow. I have even changed the color by using green,
yellow or orange sweet peppers instead of the red or have used a
combination. This is yummy on grilled sausages or hot dogs.

JEANNE'S ONION AND RED PEPPER RELISH

24 medium sweet red peppers (about four quarts seeded and chopped)
3 cups chopped sweet onions
3 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
3 cups white vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1-2 jalapeño peppers
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds **
3 to 4 tablespoons fresh herb, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried) **

Seed sweet red peppers and chop finely either by hand or in a food
processor. Wearing rubber gloves, remove stems and blossom ends and
seeds from jalapeño peppers. Chop finely either by hand or in a food
processor. Peel onions and chop finely. Put chopped veggies and
remaining ingredients into a large stockpot. Bring to boil. Reduce
heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Ladle into sterilized jars
leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and
seal. Process in a water bath 15 minutes. Yields 11-12 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Mara, wrote:

Hello Jeanne and Chelsea. I just wanted to send you guys a long overdue
note saying "thanks" for such a super newsletter. I am a teacher and
thanks to Chelsea's "Woof Woof Alert", I have found so many links to
wonderful sites I get material from for my 7 and 8 year olds. I also
love the healthier recipes you now feature. I have been trying them and
my family is impressed. Hey, when I can impress my finicky 11 year old
daughter who is chubbier than she should be and whom I want to learn to
eat healthier meals, you know your recipes are good tasting. She hates
anything labeled "healthy". Thank you from a long time subscriber.
Hugs, Mara^^^

[Mara, thank you for the lovely note. It is always nice to hear that
the links Chelsea finds are useful. As far as eating healthier, it is
working for me.]

^^^reader, Leah, wrote:

Jeanne, first of all, thanks for the great newsletter. It is awesome.
I sometimes borrow some of the inspirational material and share it with
my Altar Guild members. Secondly, I got the magnets I ordered from you.
These were for the officers of my Altar Guild as a thank you for all
the work they have done. As you know from making them, most of them had
unusual first names and to be able to give them a special gift
personalized just for them was perfect. I cannot believe you found the
right graphic for each of them when I told you what their interests
were. I presented the magnets to them at a general meeting and all the
other ladies are now volunteering to serve on the Board. I will
definitely order more next year. All the best to you, Leah^^^

[Lea, I am happy that the magnets were a big hit. Hey, if it takes a
special gift to get volunteers, that works for me (LOL)]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 115 (Monday, 4-18-05)<><><>