Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 117 - 5-02-05  justjeanne49
 May 01, 2005 12:04 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 117 (Monday, 5-02-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 117 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

I ran to the supermarket on Saturday to do my grocery shopping as I
wanted to cook up a big pot of healthy chili. On the way, did my eyes
deceive me? A "garage sale" sign. Of course, the street named on the
sign was one I had no clue where it was located. We have lots of
sub-divisions here with streets that are only a block or two long.
Okay, I figured it was somewhere close so I started driving around. I
saw a sign and it was not the particular one I was going to. I got a
cute Christmas novelty CD for $2.00. I asked the man where such and
such street was and he told me. I found it and struck pay dirt.

For $10.00, here is what I got.
[1] A handmade painted on wood picture that is 18 by 22 inches with an
antique
     looking sugar container, cut glass salt and pepper shakers, a huge
basket of
     very yummy looking basket of fresh blueberries, an antique tin
scoop, and a
     brass slotted spoon painted on it. It was framed in rough looking
wood. I
     intend to paint the frame to match the others in my kitchen.
[2] An almost new dark purple sweatshirt with antique looking bottles
on it.
[3] Four, count 'em, four really nice shoulder purses. Three are brand
names
     and the other was handmade.
[4] Two 5-1/3 by 6-1/2-inch framed pictures. One is a sheep and the
other is a
     Mommy hen with three baby chickies   Here again, the frames are
going to
     get painted to match my kitchen.
[5] a handmade swag with bunches of dried herbs on it.

The lady holding this sale was selling most things for $1.00 each. Then
on the way home, a neighbor had put tree branches on their curb. I
stopped and picked out some of the bigger ones for the rustic trellis I
want to make. I take a walk around the wooded trail in my office
complex every day. A few days ago, I almost tripped on a large branch
on the trail. Suddenly, an idea came to me. I have been gathering tree
branches all week and am going to construct a rustic trellis for the
climbing rose bush I have in my raised rose bed in the back yard. To
buy the size I want is expensive and they are flimsily constructed. I
will screw the main poles together with wood screws and wrap around each
of the joints with sisal twine. Then, thinner branches will be woven in
and out of the main poles. The trellis will be screwed to sturdy tomato
stakes and buried in the ground. Then the rose bush branches will be
tied to the trellis.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

HAPPY EASTER TO MY UKRAINIAN AND GREEK ORTHODOX FRIENDS.

"Success is counted sweetest by those who never succeed."
~Emily Dickinson~

"Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to
the town gossip."
~Will Rogers~

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You
may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call
failure is not the falling down, but the staying down."
~Mary Pickford~

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but
shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world".
~C. S. Lewis~

"If your head tells you one thing and your heart tells you another,
before you do anything, you should first decide whether you have a
better head or a better heart."
~ Marilyn von Savant~

"It is a fine thing to have ability, but the ability to discover ability
in others is the true test."
~Elbert Hubbard~

"You may be sorry that you spoke, sorry you stayed or went, sorry you
won or lost, sorry so much was spent. But as you go through life,
you'll find you're never sorry you were kind."
~ Herb Prochnow

"A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory
fails."
~Author Unknown~

"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it's not
going to go away."
~Elvis Presley~

"Everything in life changes you in some way. even the smallest things.
If you do not accept these changes you do not accept yourself. For
through these changes new and greater things come to you, making you
wiser, as time progresses. To avoid these changes is a loss. You only
live your life once. Do not waste a minute of it avoiding things. Let
them come to you, and learn from them. There will not always be a
tomorrow."
~Adam R. Gwizdala~

"He who binds himself to a joy, does the wing life destroy, but he who
kisses the joy as it flies, lives in eternity's sunrise."
~William Blake ~

"You don't need an explanation for everything. Recognize that there are
such things as miracles; events for which there are no ready
explanations. The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower,
share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another's, smile at someone and
receive a smile in return, are to me continual spiritual exercise."
~Leo Buscaglia~

"The ABC's of Life"

A-void negative sources, people, things and habits.
B-elieve in yourself.
C-onsider things from every angle.
D-on't give up and don't give in.
E-njoy life today. Y esterday is gone and tomorrow may never come.
F-amily and Friends are hidden treasures. Seek them and enjoy their
riches.
G-ive more than you planned to give.
H-ang on to your dreams.
I-gnore those who try to discourage you.
J-ust do it!
K-eep on trying, no matter how hard it seems. It will get better.
L-ove yourself first and foremost.
M-ake it happen.
N-ever lie, cheat, or steal. Always strike a fair deal.
O-pen your eyes and see things as they really are.
P-ractice makes perfect.
Q-uitters never win and winners never quit.
R-ead, study and learn about everything important in your life.
S-top procrastinating.
T-rust in God and ask Him to help you achieve your dreams.
U-nderstand yourself in order to better understand others.
V-isualize it.
W-ant it more than anything.
X-ccelerate your efforts.
Y-ou are unique of all of God's creations. Nothing can replace you.
Z-ero in on your target, and go for it!!

~Author Unknown~

"Fly Free, Little Bird"

Fly free, little bird, no longer under lock and key.
Go, join your companions nesting songfully in that tree.

Sing, little bird, that happy song of joy,
no longer need you worry that your freedom I'll deny.

Rest easy, little bird, in you I have full trust.
I know I cannot stop you for doing what you must.

Spread your wings, little bird, in patterns of free flight,
journeying far by day, stopping only for the night.

Soar high, little bird, flying North and South;
bring back those early worms for your little children's mouth.

Follow your own star, little bird, don't do what they all do;
your conscience and your heart will rightly see you through.

Experience your dreams, little bird, no matter where you roam,
remember this, dear friend, you're always welcome home.

Copyrights (c) 1980, 2001 AND 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"Three Things In Life"

Three irrevocable things in life are time, words and chance.
Three undeniable things in life are serenity, hope and honesty.
Three gems of your life are love, self-esteem and true friends.
Three uncertainties of life are dreams, success and fate.
Three things that deteriorate life are hatred, arrogance and anger.
Kind hearts are the garden. Kind thoughts are the roots.
Kind words are the blossoms. Kind deeds are the fruits.

~Author Unknown~

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into a flame by another human
being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this
light."
~Albert Schweitzer~

"Kindness is free, so why not give some out?"
~Lisandra Piercey~

"Kindness is like sugar, it makes life taste a little sweeter."
~Carla Yerovi~

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,
compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant
of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been
all of these."
~George Washington Carver~

"Take time to laugh. It is the music of the soul."
~Irish Prayer~

"The appearance of things change according to our emotions and thus if
we see magic and beauty in them, the magic and beauty is really in
ourselves."
~Kahlil Gilbran~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Fried Rice
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Ukrainian Ikra (Eggplant)
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Noodles Stroganoff
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Scalloped Potatoes
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Hot Fudge Banana Split Brownies
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Coleslaw
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Poochy Parmesan Herb Treats
   Recipe:   Kitty Snacks
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Blueberry Vinegar
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Spiked Peach Preserves
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Spiked BBQ Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Peach Pie Filling
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

Here is a healthier version of a favorite recipe of mine.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRIED RICE

3 large eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups water
1 (16 ounce) package frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed
1/4 cup Lite soy sauce
1 low sodium chicken bouillon cube
2 cups cooked brown rice (not instant)
2 tablespoons finely minced chives or scallions (green onions)
1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a skillet, sauté eggs in olive oil until done. Remove from pan and
set aside. Add water, vegetables, soy sauce and bouillon to skillet;
bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5
minutes. Stir in scrambled eggs and minced chives. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.

This spread, called "Ikra" (mock caviar) in Ukrainian, is a popular
appetizer when eggplant is in season. Good with cold meats or on a piece
of rye bread. If you are watching sugar, substitute brown sugar
replacement.

JEANNE'S UKRAINIAN IKRA (EGGPLANT)

1 large eggplant
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, mashed
4 to 5 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar (or brown sugar replacement)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
Pepper to taste

Wash and cook the eggplant in enough boiling water to cover for about 20
minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Cut off the stem end, remove
the skin, and chop the eggplant as fine as possible (or bake eggplant in
the oven till soft then scrape out the filling and discard skin). Sauté
the onion in oil until tender. Drop tomatoes in boiling water for 1
minute and plunge into ice water. Skin will come off easily. Add the
peeled and chopped tomatoes and cook, uncovered, until fairly thick.
The mixture should be a thick consistency. Stir in the lemon juice.
Add the mashed garlic, brown sugar, cinnamon, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Cook for 15 more minutes. Chill thoroughly.

Here is a healthier version of an all-time favorite recipe of mine.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY NOODLES STROGANOFF

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup scallions (green onions) finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons red wine
1 (10-1/4oz) 98% fat-free Cream of Mushroom Soup plus 1 can water
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound whole-wheat noodles
1 cup reduced fat sour cream at room temperature
parsley for garnish

In a large skillet, sauté scallions, garlic, mushrooms and ground beef
until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain excess fat in a
colander. Return to skillet. Stir in lemon juice, wine, mushroom soup,
water and pepper. Simmer, uncovered on medium heat for 12-15 minutes
until hot and bubbly. Stir in noodles. Cook, covered, for 5-7 minutes
or until noodles are tender. Remove from heat and gently fold in sour
cream. Return to low heat for 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter;
garnish with parsley sprigs. Serve immediately. Serves 6.

While I do not eat a lot of potatoes, I sometimes have a craving for
them and this recipe really is yummy.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY SCALLOPED POTATOES

4-5 pounds small red potatoes
8 ounces of reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, sliced thinly
1/2 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated low-fat 2% milk
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (green onions) or chives

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Scrub potatoes and slice thinly leaving
skins on. Spray a lasagna pan with cooking spray. Arrange one-half the
sliced potatoes on the bottom. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle
with half of the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle half the scallions or chives
on top. Slice the Cheddar cheese thinly and arrange half on top.
Repeat layering. Pour the milk over the potatoes and cheeses. Top with
Mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 50 to 60
minutes or until potatoes are soft, cheese is melted and milk has
evaporated.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 550 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

Whether you are a cook, canner, gardener, herb gardener, or just a
person who wants to make certain they are getting all the nutrients and
natural vitamins, these sites are super good. This is the new USDA Food
Pyramid that makes it really easy to know what you need daily to keep
fit. If you go to the second link and register, you can keep a
year-long food diary.

Food Pyramid Gets New Look - Exercise Component, Serving Sizes Added
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A693-2005Apr19.html

New USDA Food Pyramid
http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html

This is a healthy version of a recipe I have been making for years. It
really tastes like a hot fudge banana split. Sometimes I add the
raisins; other times I don't.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY HOT FUDGE BANANA SPLIT BROWNIES

Filling:
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1 large egg
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into pieces

Brownie Batter:
1 cup mashed bananas
1-1/4 cups Splenda
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 cup ground almonds, sifted three times
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 dash salt
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
2/3 cup raisins (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13-inch pan with cooking
spray. Set aside. Prepare the filling: In a small bowl, beat cream
cheese and 1/4 cup Splenda until smooth. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt
2 ounces of the chocolate pieces. Cool slightly. Add to the cream
cheese/Splenda mixture. Add one egg and mix well. Put into the freezer
to chill while preparing the batter. This helps set the filling.

Prepare the brownie batter: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the
chocolate pieces. Cool slightly. Add the eggs, one a time, beating
well after each addition. Stir in the mashed bananas, 1 cup of Splenda
and vanilla. Sift the ground almonds, baking powder and salt three
times. Add to the batter. Mix well. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
Fold in the raisins (optional). Spread into the prepared pan.
Carefully spoon the filling over the brownie batter. Lightly swirl
filling to create a pattern. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the
pan on a wire rack. Cut into 36 equal squares.

This is a healthier version of the recipe Mom always made. The
combination of mayonnaise, salad dressing and sour cream makes this very
tasty.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY COLESLAW

1 large head of green cabbage, cored and shredded
2-3 large carrots, peeled and shredded
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 cup reduced-fat salad dressing like Miracle Whip Lite
1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons very finely chopped scallions (green onions) or chives
salt and pepper to taste

Core and shred cabbage either with a box grater or in a food processor.
Peel and shred carrot. Combine remaining ingredients. Using a rubber
spatula, blend dressing with shredded cabbage and carrots. Refrigerate
4-6 hours or overnight in a covered container. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 350 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Personal to Mz. Minns: Uze is still my bestest buddy. Me didn't let
any other kitties sneak in......woofy hee hee hee!!!

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

POOCHY PARMESAN HERB TREATS

1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup powdered milk
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup cracked wheat

For the glaze:
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in
water. Add stock, oil, cheese, dry milk, and herbs. Gradually blend in
the flours and cracked wheat. Add enough wheat flour to form a stiff
dough. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5
minutes). Shape the dough into a ball and roll to 1/2-inch thick.
Using round or crescent-shaped cookie cutters, cut out treats. Place on
ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4-inch apart. Gather up
the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits. Bake for 45
minutes. Remove from oven. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and
milk for the glaze. Brush the biscuits with glaze, turn and brush other
side. Bake for an additional 30 minutes. Cool on a wire cake rack.
Store in a container with a tight fitting lid.

KITTY SNACKS

1/2 cup canned mackerel, drained
1 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon brewer's yeast, optional

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium-size bowl, mash the
mackerel with a fork into tiny pieces. Combine it with the remaining
ingredients and mix well. Drop mixture by 1/4-inch teaspoons full onto
a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool to room temperature
and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes 2 cups.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Kids Craft Characters to Make From Wool
http://www.creativekidsathome.com/activities/activity_86.shtml

Pop-Up Flower Garden Card
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/cards/flowerpopup/

Kids Duty Board - Instilling good work habits and encouraging
responsibility for our children is part of being a parent. Encourage
these lessons by helping them know what is expected of them each day.
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=e00977&categoryid

Farm Animal Coloring Pages
http://www.alphabet-soup.net/farm/farmcolor.html

Panda's Learning Activities: This site is excellent for Pre-K to 1st
graders as they work on shapes, colors, ABC's, opposites, numbers and
types of clothing.
http://www.pandasplayhouse.com/activities.htm

Nursery Rhymes: This Enchanted Learning site offers lots of nursery
rhymes from rebus rhymes to printouts. Great site for the PK-1
classroom!
http://www.EnchantedLearning.com/Rhymes.html

Little Explorer's Picture Dictionary: Online picture dictionary for
younger students. Teachers and parents, be sure to click on the
activities link for ideas for using the dictionary with your children.
The dictionary can be accessed in several languages.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Dictionary.html

Literacy Center: This site uses a modified Montessori approach for
teaching basic skills (alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes) to beginning
students. Available in Spanish
http://www.literacycenter.net/lessonview_en.htm

Literactive: Great site for primary language arts activities! Find
interactive nursery rhymes and guided reading stories (Levels 1-5). The
ESL link will read in either English or Spanish. This site requires you
to sign in, but there is no charge. Be sure to check this one out!
http://www.literactive.com/Home/index.asp

Web-Pop Online Books Children's author Stephen Cosgrove has created an
online collection of several dozen interactive books for ages 3-7.
Click on Book-Pop for illustrated, narrated books in Flash format or
click on Story-Pop for audio-only books (MP3 format) read by Mr.
Cosgrove.
http://www.web-pop.com/bookpopchooser.html

Kindergarten Connection: Provides a variety of resources for primary
teachers, from book reviews to lesson plans to teacher tips.
http://www.kconnect.com/

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

This is soooo beautiful!
My Sewing Basket
http://www.cryofthespirit.com/mysewingbasket.html

Thinking Of You
http://www.alighthouse.com/ofyou1.htm

I See My Reflection
http://www.alighthouse.com/reflection.htm

Butterflies
http://www.alighthouse.com/flies.htm

My Fragrant Garden
http://www.alighthouse.com/garden3.htm

Which Book Of The Bible Are You?
http://quizilla.com/users/reflectedgrace/quizzes/Which%20book%20of%20the%20Bible%20are%20you?/

This is an amazing puzzle! It is very addictive. There are 13 items
hidden in this room in order to let you get out of this room. If you
found:
0-6 items, your IQ is very low, you score -total moron
6-8 items, Low IQ, your score - idiot
9-10 items, you score - average
11-12 items, your IQ is high - above the average.
13 items found and get out of the room - there are less than 4,000
people in the world can do it.
http://flash.qbol.net/pl;p/youxi/images/04042203.swf

The Penguin Game
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mkos/pinguin.swf

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

"Inside Of You"

There is inside you all of the potential to be whatever you want to be;
all of the energy to do whatever you want to do. Imagine yourself as
you would like to be, doing what you want to do, and each day, take one
step towards your dream.

And though at times it may seem too difficult to continue, hold on to
your dream. One morning you will awake to find that you are the person
you dreamed of, doing what you wanted to do, simply because you had the
courage to believe in your potential and to hold on to your dream.

~Author Unknown~

"If All The Skies"

If all the skies were sunshine,
our faces would be fain,
to feel once more upon them,
the cooling plash of rain.

If all the world were music,
our hearts would often long,
for one sweet strain of silence,
to break the endless song.

If life were always merry,
our souls would seek relief,
and rest from weary laughter,
in the quiet arms of grief.

~Henry Van Dyke~

What do frogs drink at snack time?
Croak-a-cola!

What does the invisible man drink at snack time?
Evaporated milk!

Why shouldn't you cry over spilled milk?
It gets too salty!

What is a tree's favorite drink?
Root beer!

What do you get if you cross a turtle with a porcupine?
Slowpoke!

Why didn't the dog speak to his foot?
Because it's not polite to talk back to your paw!

Why did the poor dog chase his own tail?
He was trying to make both ends meet!

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

This is absolutely delightful when mixed with extra virgin olive oil and
used as a vinaigrette on a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, fresh basil,
scallions and a handful of blueberries. The color of this vinegar is
very pretty; sort of a purplish blue.

JEANNE'S BLUEBERRY VINEGAR

3 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups rice vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 cinnamon sticks, about two inches each
4 whole allspice berries

In a stainless-steel or enamel saucepan combine 1-1/2 cups of the
blueberries with rice vinegar, cinnamon sticks and allspice berries.
Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Stir in
honey. Remove from heat. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and
let it drain into a bowl. Discard blueberries. Sterilize two quart
Mason jars. Divide remaining 1-1/2 cup blueberries evenly between two
jars. Add 1 cinnamon stick and 2 whole allspice berries to each jar.
Ladle half of the vinegar into each jar. Remove air bubbles. Wipe
rims. Cap and seal. Let sit in a cool place for 2-3 weeks. Strain
through a colander lined with cheesecloth twice and discard berries and
spices before using. Makes about two quarts.

This recipe makes wonderful gifts. The rum really rounds out the
sweetness of the peaches. If you are watching sugar, substitute Splenda
and the homemade brown sugar replacement (see below).

JEANNE'S SPIKED PEACH PRESERVES

6 cups coarsely chopped, pitted and peeled peaches (about 4 pounds)
2 cups packed dark brown sugar (or brown sugar replacement)
juice and grated rind of two large lemons
1 cup dark rum, preferably Jamaican
2 cups granulated sugar (or Splenda)

In a large bowl, combine the peaches with the brown sugar, lemon juice,
grated rind and one-half cup of the rum, stirring to mix. Cover and let
stand at room temperature six hours or overnight. Put the mixture into
a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the
pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the peach chunks begin to
look translucent, 15 to 20 minutes; stirring occasionally to prevent
sticking. Add the granulated sugar (or Splenda). Increase the heat to
medium-high, stirring constantly, and cook for an additional 7-10
minutes until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the
remaining one-half cup of rum. This will tend to boil up, so stir well.
Put back on heat and cook for 2 additional minutes. Ladle into
sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe
rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 15 minutes.
Yields: 6-7 half-pints.

BROWN SUGAR REPLACEMENT

2 cups Splenda
1/2 cup Sugar-Free Maple Syrup

Mix ingredients well.

This BBQ is "too die for". The addition of the Jack Daniels Whiskey and
the two Tabasco brand sauces adds to the complexity of the flavors.
Baste chicken, ribs, or shrimp and toss them on the grill. If you want
to make this low in sugar, substitute the brown sugar replacement for
the brown sugar.

JEANNE'S SPIKED BBQ SAUCE

4 quarts peeled, cored and diced tomatoes
2 cups minced celery
2 cups peeled and minced red onions
1-1/2 cups sweet red belled pepper, seeded and chopped
2-4 hot peppers, seeded and finely minced
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground back pepper
1 cup brown sugar (or brown sugar replacement)
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon dry yellow mustard powder
1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 tablespoon Tabasco brand Chipolte Pepper Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Tabasco brand Habanero Sauce
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey

To make peeling tomatoes easy, drop in a large stockpot of boiling water
for one minute and plunge immediately into a bowl of ice water. Combine
tomatoes, onions, sweet and hot peppers, and celery in a large stockpot.
Bring to a boil, turn down heat, and cook about 30 minutes until
veggies are soft. Press through a Foley Food Mill. Return mixture to
the stockpot and on medium-low heat, cook for another 45 minutes until
mixture is reduced by one-half (stir occasionally to prevent sticking).
Add remaining ingredients, except Jack Daniels Whiskey, and cook on
medium-low heat for about 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until
mixture is about the consistency of ketchup. Remove from heat and stir
in the Jack Daniels Whiskey. This will tend to boil up, so stir well.
Put back on heat and cook for 2 additional minutes. Ladle into
sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe
rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner 20 minutes.
Yields: 8 half-pints.

BROWN SUGAR REPLACEMENT

1 cup Splenda
1/4 cup Sugar-Free Maple Syrup

Mix ingredients well.

This is a favorite of mine that you can make sugar free by substituting
Splenda for the sugar.

JEANNE'S PEACH PIE FILLING

6 quarts sliced fresh peaches
1/2 teaspoon absorbic acid (Fruit Fresh)
7 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
2 cups plus 3 tablespoons Clear-Jel A
5-1/4 cups cold water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon almond extract
1-3/4 cups bottled lemon juice

Peel peaches. To loosen skins, submerge peaches in boiling water for
approximately 30-60 seconds and then place in cold water for 20 seconds.
Slip off skins and prepare slices 1/2 inch thick. Place slices in
water containing 1/2 teaspoon of ascorbic acid in 1 gallon of water to
prevent browning. Combine water, sugar or Splenda, Clear-Jel, cinnamon
and almond extract in a large stock pot. Stir and cook over medium high
heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and
boil sauce 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Fold in drained peach
slices and continue to heat mixture for 3 minutes. Ladle into
sterilized jars leaving 1 inch head-space. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a water bath canner for 25 minutes. Yield: 7 quarts.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Donna, wrote:

Hey Jeanne. I had to write to tell you how much I enjoy getting your
newsletter. Your recipes are really tasty and such a variety each week.
Thank you so much for all the stuffed chicken breast recipes. I can't
wait to try them all. My husband and I have grown larger (LOL) since we
got married as both of us love to cook and eat. We both are trying to
lose weight and your recipes fit our healthier lifestyle. It never
dawned on us to take our family favorites and make them lower in fats,
sugar, carbs, and sodium. You have inspired us. Both of us work
full-time and we have been making large batches and dividing them into
individual plastic containers to take for lunches. Sure beats a boring
cold sandwich every day! Our co-workers are jealous because they can
smell the yummy foods heating in the microwave oven. I can't wait to
see what you share next week! Hugs, Donna and Matt^^^

[Donna, thanks for writing. I love hearing that people like the recipes
I have been creating and sharing. Recreating tried and true favorite
recipes to make them healthier is simply a matter of analyzing the
ingredients and seeing what you can substitute that is lower in fats,
carbs, sugar and/or sodium levels. Usually just one or two minor
changes will do it without sacrificing the flavor.]

^^^reader, Corrine, wrote:

Hello Jeanne and Ms. Chelsea. I just wanted to drop you a note to say
that I am an elementary school teacher who has used many of Chelsea's
links for my students. Keep them coming. Nowadays you have to be two
steps in front of the kids at all times (LOL)!! A great big THANK YOU
for all you share each week. Regards, Corrine^^^

[Corrine, thank you for the lovely note. Chelsea enjoys finding the
links and sharing them. Glad they are of use to you and your students.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 117 (Monday, 5-02-05)<><><>