Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 118 - 5-09-05  justjeanne49
 May 08, 2005 13:13 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 118 (Monday, 5-09-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 118 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

I mentioned I got a pressure cooker from a freecycler a few weeks ago.
I needed a cookbook. Well, lo and behold, I was going through boxes of
craft leaflets to send to some buddies and I found I had one. After a
few hours, it dawned on my that my brother got one from a friend and
gave it to me thinking it was a canning book. There are some very yummy
recipes in there that I plan to experiment with, add my own touches, and
re-create them to make them as healthy as possible. I will be sharing
them in the weeks and months ahead.

I have been puttering a bit in my garden when Mother Nature allows me
too. We have had crazy weather here in Illinois including frost in
early May!

I also completed and passed an online course for Home Canning and
passed. Was there any doubt???? Information on the course is in
"Putting Up With Jeanne"

I hate to have to bring this up again but it is important. I encourage
folks to share things in "Just Jeanne" with family and friends.
However, it has come to my attention that some people are taking things
I share and stripping my name off the recipes and copy written poetry
and posting them to discussion groups. Whenever possible, I include the
original author of inspirational material, if known to me. Do not strip
off the author's name and copyright information. This week I found out
that a subscriber had taken material out of last week's issue and
removed my name from "Fly Free Little Bird", an original piece of poetry
I wrote as well as took my name off of every healthy recipe. That is a
big "NO NO".

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL MOMMIES, GRANDMOMMIES, GODMOMMIES, AUNTIES AND

CRITTER MOMMIES!!!
MAY YOUR DAY BE FILLED WITH LOVE AND LOTS OF
HUGS AND KISSES!!!

If your Mom is still with you, cherish her every day. This is one
holiday that makes me miss my late Mom so much. We were not just mother
and daughter. We were best friends who enjoyed doing things together.
Mom loved going to the Flea Market so we went to Church services on
Saturday evening so that we could get up early and hit at least one Flea
Market on Sunday morning and then go to another one in the early
afternoon. I learned to be a good bargain hunter from her. My Mom
loved to cook and bake. She could also knit and crochet and I still
have many of her afghans to snuggle with on the cooler nights. I
inherited my love of cooking and gardening as well as my sense of humor
from her. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you!

"The Creation of a Mother"

When the good Lord was creating mothers, He was into His sixth day of
overtime, when an angel appeared and said, "You're doing a lot of
fiddling around on this one." And the Lord said, "Have you read the
spec on this one? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic;
have 180 moveable parts, all replaceable; run on black coffee and
leftovers; have a lap that disappears when she stands up; a kiss that
can cure anything from a broken leg to a disappointed love affair; and
six pair of hands." The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six
pairs of hands...no way." "It's not the hands that are causing me
problems," said the Lord. "It's the three pairs of eyes that mothers
have to have." "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel. The
Lord nodded. "One pair that sees through closed doors when she asks,
"What are you kids doing in there?" when she already knows. Another
here, in the back of her head that sees what she shouldn't, but what she
has to know, and of course the ones here in front that can look at a
child when he goofs up and say, "I understand and I love you," without
so much as uttering a word." "Lord," said the angel, touching his
sleeve gently, "Rest for now. Tomorrow. "I can't," said the Lord.
"I'm so close to creating something close to myself. Already I have one
who heals herself when she is sick, can feed a family of six on one
pound of hamburger and can get a nine year old to stand under a shower."
The angel circled the model of the mother very slowly. "She's too
soft," she sighed. "But tough!" said the Lord excitedly. "You cannot
imagine what the mother can do or endure." "Can she think?" "Not only
think, but she can reason and compromise," said the Creator. Finally
the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek. "There's a
leak," she pronounced. "I told you, you were trying to put too much
into this model." "It's not a leak," said the Lord. "It's a tear."
"What's it for?" "It's for joy, sadness, disappointment, pain,
loneliness and pride."   "You're a genius," said the angel. The Lord
looked somber, "I didn't put it there."

~Erma Bombeck~

"Before I Was A Mom"

Before I was a Mom...
I made and ate hot meals.
I had unstained clothing.
I had quiet conversations on the phone.

Before I was a Mom...
I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into
bed.
I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.

Before I was a Mom...
I cleaned my house each day.
I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.

Before I was a Mom...
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom...
I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, chewed on, peed on.
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom...
I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests or
give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom...
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop
the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom...
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important.

Before I was a Mom...
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to
make sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the
wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom.

~Author Unknown~

"When God thought of Mother, He must have laughed with satisfaction and
framed it quickly, so rich, so deep, so divine, so full of soul, power
and beauty was the conception."
~Henry Ward Beecher~

"To be a mother is the grandest vocation in the world. No being has a
position of such power and influence. She holds in her hands the
destiny of nations."
~Hannah Whitall Smith~

"What My Mother Taught Me"

My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE - "If you're going to
kill each other, do it outside - I just finished cleaning!"
My mother taught me RELIGION - "You better pray that will come out of
the carpet."
My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL: - "If you don't straighten up,
I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"
My mother taught me LOGIC: - "Because I said so, that's why."
My mother taught me FORESIGHT - "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in
case you're in an accident."
My mother taught me IRONY - "Keep laughing and I'll give you something
to cry about."
My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS - "Shut your mouth and
eat your supper!"
My mother taught me about CONTORTIONIST - "Will you look at the dirt on
the back of your neck!"
My mother taught me about STAMINA - "You'll sit there until all that
spinach is finished."
My mother taught me about WEATHER - "It looks as if a tornado swept
through your room."
My mother taught me how to solve PHYSICS PROBLEMS - "If I yelled because
I saw a meteor coming toward you; would you listen then?"
My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY - "If I've told you once, I've told
you a million times - Don't Exaggerate!!!"
My mother taught me THE CIRCLE OF LIFE - "I brought you into this world,
and I can take you out."
My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION - "Stop acting like your
father!"
My mother taught me about ENVY - "There are millions of less fortunate
children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do!"

"Mothers and Daughters"

We're daughters and mothers not so long ago. We give and take and take
and give along time's endless row. Love is passed and love received to
be passed on again. A precious heirloom twice, twice blessed, a
spiritual cardigan.

I'll put it on and treasure it, the me I have received, and when the
roles reverse again, I'll have what I most need. So may our love go on
and on, a hundred thousand years;
Mothers and daughters, daughters and mothers, through joys and other
tears.

~Author Unknown~

"When your mother asks, 'Do you want a piece of advice?' it's a mere
formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to
get it anyway."
~Erma Bombeck~

"What Makes a Mother"

I thought of you and closed my eyes and prayed to God today.
I asked what makes a Mother and I know I heard Him say,
"A Mother has a baby, this we know is true."
"But God, can you be a Mother when your baby's not with you?"
"Yes, you can." He replied with confidence in His voice.
"I give many women babies, when they leave is not their choice.
Some I send for a lifetime and others for the day.
And some I send to fill your womb but there's no need to stay."
"I just don't understand this God, I want my baby here."
He took a breath and cleared His throat and then I saw a tear.
"I wish I could show you what your child is doing today.
If you could see your child smile with other children and say..."
"We go to earth to learn our lessons of love and life and fear
My Mommy loved me oh so much, I got to come straight here.
I feel so lucky to have a Mom who has so much love for me
I learned my lessons very quickly, my Mommy set me free.
I miss my Mommy oh so much, but I visit her each day.
When she goes to sleep, on her pillow is where I lay.
I stroke her hair and kiss her cheek and whisper in her ear.
Mommy don't be sad today, I'm your baby and I'm here."
"So you see my dear sweet one, your children are ok.
Your babies are here in My home and this is where they'll stay.
They'll wait for you with Me until your lessons are through.
And on the day that you come home, they'll be at the gates for you.
So now you see what makes a Mother. It's the feeling in your heart.
It's the love you had so much of right from the very start.
Though some of earth may not realize until their time is done.
Remember all the love you have and know that you are a Special Mom!"

~Author Unknown~

"Mommy I Love You"

Mommy, I love you for all that you do.
I'll kiss you and hug you 'cause you love me, too.
You feed me and need me to teach you to play,
So smile 'cause I love you on this Mother's Day.

~Author Unknown~

"Real Mothers"

Real Mothers don't eat quiche; they don't have time to make it.
Real Mothers know that their kitchen utensils are probably in the
sandbox.
Real Mothers often have sticky floors, filthy ovens and happy kids.
Real Mothers know that dried Play dough doesn't come out of shag
carpets.
Real Mothers don't want to know what the vacuum just sucked up.
Real Mothers sometimes ask, "Why me?" and get their answer when a little
voice says, "because I love you best."
Real Mothers know that a child's growth is not measured by height or
years or grade. It is marked by the progression of Mama to Mommy to
Mom.

~Author Unknown~

"Reflections of a Mother"

I gave you life, but cannot live it for you.
I can give you directions, but I cannot be there to lead you.
I can allow you freedom, but I cannot account for it.
I can teach you right from wrong, but I cannot decide for you.
I can offer you advice, but I cannot accept it for you.
I can give you love, but I cannot force it upon you.
I can teach you to share, but I cannot make you unselfish.
I can teach you respect, but I cannot force you to show honor.
I can advise you about friends, but cannot choose them for you.
I can advise you about sex, but I cannot keep you pure.
I can tell you about drink, but I can't say "no" for you.
I can warn you about drugs, but I can't prevent you from using them.
I can tell you about lofty goals, but I can't achieve them for you.
I can teach you about kindness, but I can't force you to be gracious.
I can pray for you, but I cannot make you walk with God.
I can tell you how to live, but I cannot give you eternal life.

~Author Unknown~

"Mothers Are The Gardeners"

Mothers are the gardeners of wind-blown wild flowers.
They water them with happy tears, happy with them many years,
Even as the hours ring with sweet, sad melodies,
Sighing through their bowers.

~Author Unknown~

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
~Henry Ward Beecher~

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for
five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.
~Tenneva Jordan~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Stuffed Peppers
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Artichoke and Crabmeat Appetizer
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Cheeseburger Loaf
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Chicken Dijon
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Quick 'N Easy Healthy Bean Burritos
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Baked Rigatoni
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Cheesy Bone Cookies
   Recipe:   Tuna Cat Treats
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Pineapple Salsa
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Raspberry Salsa
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Spicy Salsa
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Peach Salsa
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

Here's a yummy recipe that yields two meals with the same amount of
preparation and cooking time. I like to use two of each color pepper
just because it looks pretty but you can use all one color or any
combination. The meat loaf makes yummy lunches served either hot or
cold.

I find that you do not need to par-boil the peppers in advance. With
the diced tomatoes in their juice and the pasta or tomato sauce, there
is enough moisture to soften the peppers and they don't get mushy. My
late Mom would make these and she parboiled the peppers and cooked the
rice first.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY STUFFED PEPPERS

8 large sweet bell peppers (green, red, yellow or orange)
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped sweet bell peppers **
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2-1/2 to 3 pounds lean ground beef or chuck
2-1/2 cups instant brown rice
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 quart diced tomatoes with juice
1 quart pasta sauce or 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce)
1 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and
membranes. Chop edible part of tops and set aside. Rinse peppers under
cold water and drain. Spray a lasagna pan with cooking spray. In a
large mixing bowl, combine ground meat, beaten eggs, garlic, onions,
peppers, basil, oregano, black pepper, rice, and Worcestershire sauce.
Mix well. Firmly pack meat/rice/veggie mixture into peppers. Place in
prepared pan. Pour chopped tomatoes with juice around packed peppers.
Drizzle pasta or tomato sauce on top. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum
foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until peppers are
soft and meat and rice is cooked. One or twice during baking, spoon
tomatoes and sauce over peppers. Remove foil. Sprinkle stuffed peppers
with grated Parmesan cheese and then shredded Cheddar cheese. Return to
over and bake uncovered for an additional 5-8 minutes or until cheese is
bubbly. Serves 4-6.

You should have enough meat/rice/veggie mixture to make a small meat
loaf. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Form into a loaf and place
in pan. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake with the peppers.
Twice during the baking, drain excess fat, if any, from the meat loaf.

** If you do not have enough chopped peppers from the tops, use a small
sweet pepper to make up the 3/4 cup.

This is an absolutely "too die for" appetizer and healthy to boot.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY ARTICHOKE AND CRABMEAT APPETIZER

1 (1 ounce) package Hidden Valley Light Ranch Dip Mix
1 (16 ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
3/4 cup cooked crabmeat, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chopped red or green bell pepper
fresh veggies and/or low carb whole wheat crackers for dipping

Combine dip mix with sour cream. Stir in artichoke hearts, crabmeat,
and bell peppers. Chill 30 minutes minimum or overnight. Serve with
fresh vegetables and/or low carb whole wheat crackers. Yields 3-1/2
cups.

This is a yummy meatloaf and really tastes like a BIG cheeseburger. By
baking the meatloaf in a loaf pan with a removable rack, the excess fat
drains to the bottom.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHEESEBURGER LOAF

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grainy prepared mustard
1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
1 low sodium beef bullion cube, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup crushed reduced-fat crackers

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients and shape into
a loaf. Lightly spray a loaf pan with a rack with cooking spray. Cover
with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and
bake an additional 15 minutes. Any excess oil that drains into the
bottom of the pan will be discarded. Top with sauce recipe below.

SAUCE:
1 (10-3/4-ounce) can Campbell's 98% fat-free Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup skim milk
1-1/2 cups grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
2-3 drops Tabasco sauce

Heat the soup and milk over medium heat until hot. Add the Cheddar
cheese and Tabasco sauce and cook on low until the cheese is melted.
Pour over the meatloaf. Serves 4 to 6.

This really is a yummy chicken recipe that no one will suspect is
healthier. The mustard, yogurt and Parmesan cheese really adds a
wonderful flavor.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHICKEN DIJON

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 (8 ounce) carton reduced-fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon French tarragon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut chicken breasts in half and place
between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet until
thin. Combine mustard, Parmesan cheese and yogurt, stirring until well
blended. Brush chicken breast halves evenly with yogurt mixture. In a
shallow dish, mix breadcrumbs, black pepper and French tarragon until
well-combined. Dredge chicken breasts in seasoned breadcrumbs. Pat
each side with your fingers. Put on a wire rack and cool in refrigerate
for 1 hour so that coating will stick to breasts. Spray a 13 x 9 x
2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F
for 35 minutes. Increase temperature to 450 degrees. Bake, uncovered,
for 20 minutes more or until lightly browned. Yield 8 servings.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 550 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

Looking for a snack for two or a vegetarian low fat/low carb meal for
one, this quick and easy to prepare dish will fit the bill.

JEANNE'S QUICK 'N EASY HEALTHY BEAN BURRITOS

1 (16 ounce) can 98% fat-free refried black beans
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeņo peppers
dash of your favorite hot sauce
4 whole-wheat tortilla shells

In a micro-wave safe container, mix the refried beans, cheese, jalapeņo
peppers and hot sauce. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or
until hot and bubbly. Place tortilla shells on a place and cover with a
paper towel. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until shells are steamy.
Spread beans mixture on top and roll. Serves two as a snack or one as
a vegetarian meal.

Here is a healthy version of a family favorite for those meatless meal
days.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BAKED RIGATONI

2 pounds whole-wheat rigatoni
2 pounds reduced-fat Ricotta cheese
3 ounces grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1 quart pasta sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1-1/2 teaspoons ground fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1-1/2 pounds shredded reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook rigatoni in water until tender.
Rinse and drain well in a colander. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl,
combine Ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, pasta sauce, minced garlic,
Italian seasoning, ground fennel seed, and black pepper. Mix well.
Gently fold in cooked rigatoni. Spray a lasagna pan lightly with
cooking spray. Spoon mixture into pan. Top with shredded Mozzarella
cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until
cheese is hot and bubbly. Serves 8 to 10. Leftovers can be frozen in
plastic containers and micro waved for future meal.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 350 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

"Puppy Love"

I may be small, I'm not too tall,
I'll fetch the ball, come when you call.
I love to eat, sit on your feet,
lick all I meet, I want a treat!

I'll eat my bone when I'm alone,
and chew and chew until I'm through.
I love to play in the park all day.
I don't run away when the skies are gray.

I've learned to sit, and play "you're it".
Don't mind a bit, you like my wit?!?
I love to chase that silly cat
who's getting fat upon the mat.

I cannot read. I cannot write.
I seldom growl.   I never bite.
I love to run, have so much fun
napping in the sun when I am done.

With golden curls and freckled nose,
take my picture everyone, see I'll pose.
Your friend will I always be,
this comes to you from 'lil ole me.
I wuv you Mommy, don't you see,
hugs from your puppy love,
the STAR...........Chelsea.

Copyright @ 2002 and 2005 Chelsea Maack

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

CHEESY BONE COOKIES

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1-1/4 cups shredded cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons water

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine flour, cheese, garlic and oil.
Knead well, adding water as needed to form stiff dough. Roll out on
floured surface to 1/2-inch thick and cut into bone shapes. Bake at 400
degrees F for 10 or 15 minutes. Bake until bottom of cookies are
lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack.

TUNA CAT TREATS

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk
1/2 can tuna
1 teaspoon vegetable oil or cod liver oil
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup water

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and grease cookie sheets with cooking
spray. In large bowl, mash the tuna into smaller pieces. Then add
flour and milk. Mix well. After all is mixed pour in water and oil.
Mix well again. Now, beat egg in separate dish until dish until egg
gets a foamy texture. Add to mix. Mix well. The dough mix will be
sticky. Using your fingers shape dough into small bite size balls,
about the size of a marble. Put balls on greased cookie sheets.
Flatten with hand. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove treats from oven wait
five minutes and turn treats over so other side will cook. Bake 10 more
minutes or until golden brown in color. Place treats on cookie rack to
cool. Cool for 15 minutes. Store in air tight container and store in
fridge or cool dry place.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Telling Time Game
http://www.surfnetkids.com/games/telling_time_game.htm

Hummingbird Bath
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10103

Custom Paper Dolls Craft Project
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10559

Alphabet Lacing Cards
http://familycrafts.about.com/library/projects/blalphalace.htm

This site is designed for girls 7 to 17 who love adventure. Discover new
places, and people, share your thoughts and creativity. When you do,
this site will be a showcase of all the wonderful things that girls can
do. This site is sponsored by Girl Scouts of the USA.
http://www.gogirlsonly.org/

Learn How To Draw
http://www.slylockfox.com/how_draw.html

http://www.unclefred.com/

Kid's Craft Pencil Container
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/childcraft/childcraft31.html

Concentration Game
http://www.searchalot.com/texis/open/search?p=mamma&ss=s&q=kid+activity

Gingerbread Baby Board Game
http://www.janbrett.com/games/gingerbread_baby_board_game.htm

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Share a Cup With Me
http://asandboxgreeting.com/coca.html

Gardens - Buzzing By
http://asandboxgreeting.com/gardens.html

Tea With Friends
http://asandboxgreeting.com/teawithfriends.html

Have A Beautiful Day
http://asandboxgreeting.com/grandmaschina.html

Coffee
http://asandboxgreeting.com/cscoffee.html

My Mother's Garden
http://321greetings.com/mymothersgarden.htm

Crocheted T-Shirt
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/proj_cr_0899.html

Stained Glass Candle Holders
http://www.linit.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?p=906995951

Make your Own Candles
http://www.beemaid.com/wax/candles.htm

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

I am sharing an original quote by my dear friend, Carolyn a/a/Wolfieeee.
She is a very talented photographer. Check out her web page:
http://www.starkachina.com/gallery/Sabes-Photos

"The original invention of love was created in the heart of a Mother."
~(c)2005 Carolyn Marts Whitehead~

"Recipe For A Miracle"

1 cup tension
2 cups stress
1 teaspoon of guilt
2 heaping cups of limited time
3/4 tablespoon of urgency
a dash of "no other choice"
3 heaping cups of faith

Fold ingredients gently into a bowl. Mix vigorously and add a few
tears. You'll sweat a little as you knead the dough. Pack it firmly
between your hopes and dreams and form into a perfect little ball.
Sprinkle it with a little faith (I recommend Hebrews 11), rolling the
ball in the flour until fully covered. Place it under a veil of belief
and allow it to rise.

Put it in an oven that has been pre-set at the perfect temperature for
the heat of trials and tribulations. Allow it to brown under the warmth
of God's love. Remove after due season and allow to cool in the
confidence of His promise. Garnish with your praises. Arrange neatly on
a platter of thankfulness and serve to friends, families and, oh yes,
strangers; invite them too! Pass on the recipe to all who request it
and let them know that with this recipe, they have the makings of a
miracle!

~Author Unknown~

"Friendship Bread"

1 cup loyalty
1 cup understanding
1-1/2 cups generosity
2 cups love
2 packages laughter
2 tablespoons forgiveness
1/4 cup pure hugs
3 cups generosity

First, combine loyalty, understanding and 3/4 cup generosity in a large
bowl. Gently stir in the love and mix well. Add one package of
laughter. Stir continuously for 1 minute. Blend in forgiveness and
hugs. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of generosity; carefully folding the
mixture until the texture is smooth. Sprinkle in the second packet of
laughter, smiling as you go. Pour the batter liberally into muffin
tins, filling half full. Bake at 350 degrees F until brilliant in
color. While the breads are still warm, add a touch of your own spice
of life. Now that your friendship mix is ready to go, share with all
the friends you know. To every heart for whom you care, pass along a
treat to share. Added with each warm gift, give a cup of unbaked mix.
Your friends can now add their own special spice and continue the spread
of everything nice.

~Author Unknown~

"Mean Mom's"

We had the meanest mother in the whole world! While other kids ate
candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal, eggs, and toast. When
others had a Pepsi and a Twinkie for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches.
And you can guess our mother fixed us a dinner that was different from
what other kids had, too.

Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all times. You'd think we
were convicts in a prison. She had to know who our friends were, and
what we were doing with them. She insisted that if we said we would be
gone for an hour, we would be gone for an hour or less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve to break the Child
Labor Laws by making us work. We had to wash the dishes, make the beds,
learn to cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry, and all sorts of cruel
jobs. I think she would lie awake at night thinking of more things for
us to do.

She always insisted on us telling the truth the whole truth, and nothing
but the truth. By the time we were teenagers, she could read our minds.
Then, life was really tough! Mother wouldn't let our friends just honk
the horn when they drove up. They had to come up to the door so she
could meet them. While everyone else could date when they were 12 or
13, we had to wait until we were 17.

Because of our mother we missed out on lots of things other kids
experienced. None of us have ever been caught shoplifting, vandalizing
other's property or ever arrested for any crime. It was all her fault.
We never got drunk, took up smoking, stayed out all night, or a million
other things other kids did. Sundays were reserved for church, and we
never missed once. We knew better than to ask to spend the night with a
friend on Saturdays.

Now that we have left home, we are all God-fearing, educated, honest
adults. We are doing our best to be mean parents just like Mom was. I
think that is what's wrong with the world today. It just doesn't have
enough mean Mom's anymore.

~Author Unknown~

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Today, I decided to share my newest Salsa recipe and three other
favorites of mine.

This is so yummy poured over softened cream cheese as an appetizer or
scooped up with your favorite tortilla chips. Pour some over chicken
and roast it for a delightful taste sensation. The color of this is
pretty - yellow with specks of red and green.

JEANNE'S PINEAPPLE SALSA

4 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple with juice
1-1/4 cups yellow onion, chopped
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
3/4 cup cilantro, loosely packed and finely chopped
juice and grated zest of two limes
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Wearing disposable rubber gloves, seed and chop jalapeno peppers finely.
Peel and chop onions. Finely chop cilantro. I used my food processor
for all the chopping. Quick and easy. Combine all ingredients in a
large stockpot. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to medium-low
and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid sticking. Ladle
into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rims. Cap and
seal. Process in water bath canner for 15 minutes. Yields 4 to 4-1/2
pints.

This is so yummy poured over softened cream cheese as an appetizer or
scooped up with your favorite tortilla chips. Pour some over chicken
and roast it for a delightful taste sensation.

JEANNE'S RASPBERRY SALSA

6 cups raspberries
1-1/4 cups red onion, chopped
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup cilantro, loosely packed and finely chopped
juice and grated zest of two limes
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Clean fresh raspberries. Wearing disposable rubber gloves, seed and
chop jalapeno peppers finely. Put half the raspberries in a large
stockpot and mash lightly. Add the remaining raspberries and the
remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent
scorching boil gently, 5 minutes. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving
1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in water bath
canner for 15 minutes. Yields 4 to 4-1/2 pints.

JEANNE'S SPICY SALSA

25 lbs ripe tomatoes
4 stalks celery, chopped fine
5 cups finely chopped white or red onions
6 sweet green peppers, chopped fine
4-6 hot peppers, seeded and finely diced
2 teaspoons dried cilantro or 4 teaspoons fresh
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dried basil or 4 teaspoons fresh
juice of two limes
2 cups brown sugar
2 quarts cider vinegar

Scald tomatoes; peel, core and chop. Place into a large stock pot. Add
remaining ingredients and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Ladle into
sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles with a
plastic stirrer. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a boiling water
bath 15 minutes. Makes approximately 8 quarts.

JEANNE'S PEACH SALSA

6 cups peaches, blanched, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 cup chopped red onions
6 jalapeņo peppers, seeded and chopped finely
1 large sweet red pepper, chopped finely
1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
4 tablespoons honey
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, stirring
constantly to prevent sticking. Simmer, stirring frequently for 5
minutes. Ladle into hot pint jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove
air bubbles with a plastic stirrer. Cap and seal. Process in a water
bath canner for 15 minutes. Yield: 6 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Alison, wrote:

Jeanne, thanks for sharing such a wonderful newsletter. I look forward
to spending a Sunday evening enjoying all you share each week. I am
really having fun making all your recipes; so much variety. And a
special woofy and meowy thank you to Chelsea for the dog and cat
recipes. Butchie, my German Shepherd and Fluffy, my calico kitten keep
pestering me to make them homemade treats. Glad to see you're now able
to start gardening again. Hugs, Alison, Butchie and Fluffy^^^

[Thanks, Alison, for the nice note. I enjoy sharing my recipes each
week and Chelsea has fun finding the pet treat recipes.]

^^^reader, Kellie, wrote:

Jeanne, thanks for sharing the link for the new USDA Food Pyramid. That
is really a keeper. I have been trying all your recipes and they have
been big hits with my family and friends. I especially like all the
stuffed chicken breast recipes. Can't wait to try all of them. Last
week, I made the one with the walnuts and Ricotta Cheese. My family
loved it!! Keep 'em coming!! Love, Kellie^^^

[Kellie, glad you like my recipes.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 118 (Monday, 5-09-05)<><><>