Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 119 - 5-16-05  justjeanne49
 May 15, 2005 09:55 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 119 (Monday, 5-16-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 119 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

I've been playing with my new pressure cooker this past week and have
come up with a few healthy recipes that I am sharing with you today.
The pressure canner significantly cuts down on the cooking time. And if
you are afraid that they will explode, today's pressure cookers and
canners are designed with escape valves that will pop up if the pressure
gets too high. They ain't your Momma's pressure cookers!!

The weather here still is acting very strange, even for the Chicago-land
area. We have been having unseasonably cold days with temps hovering in
the 40's and it is the middle of May. Needless to say, I have not
gotten anything much done in my backyard yet.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that
He didn't trust me so much."
~Mother Teresa~

"Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly, and they
will show themselves great."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give
without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without
meanness."
~George Sand~

"Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how
infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many
things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever."
~Isak Dinesen~

"Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit
of making excuses."
~George Washington Carver~

"No Moving Parts, No Batteries"

No moving parts, no batteries. No monthly payments and no fees;
Inflation proof, nontaxable; in fact, it's quite relaxable.
It can't be stolen, won't pollute, one size fits all, do not dilute.
It uses little energy, but yields results enormously.
Relieves your tension and your stress. Invigorates your happiness.
Combats depression, makes you beam, and elevates your self esteem!
Your circulation it corrects without unpleasant side effects.
It is, I think, the perfect drug.
May I prescribe, my friend, the hug!
(and, of course, fully returnable!)

~Author Unknown~

"Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional
glance towards the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful
scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point."
~Harold B. Melchart~

"Hold tenderly that which you cherish, for it is precious and a tight
grip may crush it. Do not let the fear of dropping it cause you to hold
it too tightly; the chances are, it's holding you too."
~Bob Alberti~

"In My Prayers"

As you make your way through a fog of tears,
a landslide of heartache and multiple fears,
I'll remember you in my prayers.

While God holds you safe in the palm of His hand
and sends His angels to help you stand,
I'll remember you in my prayers.

Each minute you long for peace and rest,
courageously fighting this willful test,
I'll remember you in my prayers.

When a ray of hope pierces the night
and your faith is renewed by the heavenly sight,
I'll drop to my knees and thank the Lord
for the grace of prayer and your spirit restored.

(c) 2001 Terri McPherson
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
tmcp-@mnsi.net

"Only a brave person is willing to honestly admit, and fearlessly to
face, what a sincere and logical mind discovers."
~Rodan of Alexandria~

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or
fears or wishes rather than with their minds."
~Lady Nancy Astor~

"Courage is a special kind of knowledge: the knowledge of how to fear
what ought to be feared and how not to fear what ought no to be feared."
~David Ben-Gurion~

"Gods Beauty Tips"

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others.
To lose weight, let go of stress, hatred, anger, discontentment, and the
need to control others.
To improve your ears, listen to the word of God.
For poise, walk with knowledge and self-esteem.
To strengthen your arms, hug at least three people a day;
Touch someone with your love.
To strengthen your heart, forgive yourself and others.
For the ultimate in business, casual or evening attire, put on the robe
of the Lord; it fits like a glove but allows room for growth. Best of
all, it never goes out of style and is appropriate for any occasion.
Doing these things on a daily basis will certainly make you a more
beautiful person.

~Author Unknown~

"Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile initially scared
me to death."
~Betty Bender~

compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant
of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been
all of these."
~George Washington Carver~

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life
simply by altering his attitude of mind."
~William James~

"If there is any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any
fellow human being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I
shall not pass this way again."
~William Penn~

"May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart
with beauty. May hope forever wipe away your tears. And, above all,
may silence make you strong."
~Chief Dan George~

"When you take a risk and step out of the norm, you run the risk and
sometimes you fail. But you only fail if you give up."
~J. Peterman~

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared
to what lies within us."
~William Morrow~

"A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never
lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness
gathers love."
~Saint Basil the Great~

"What counts is not the years in your life but the life in your years."
~Adlai E. Stevenson~

"If you decide to love a person even with his faults, that's not chance.
That's choice."
~Audrey Hepburn~

"Aspire. Break bounds. Endeavor to be good and better still, best."
~Robert Browning~

"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am
thankful that thorns have roses."
~Allophones Karr~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Chicken, Black Beans & Rice Casserole
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy "Whatever Preserves You Like" Shortcakes
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Red Lentil Yogurt Dip
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy French Onion Soup
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Mexican Black Beans
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Pinto Beans
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Doggy or Kitty Biscuits
   Recipe:   Hummingbird and Oriole Nectar
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Pickling Spice Mixture
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Pickled Beets and Onions
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Pickled Garlic
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Pickled Eggplant
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

This is my latest creation. I wanted to make something different using
things I had in the house so I rummaged through my pantry and voila, a
yummy dish that is healthy too. The addition of the black olives and
jalapeño peppers together with the two hot sauces really makes this a
delicious dish.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHICKEN, BLACK BEANS AND RICE CASSEROLE

6 chicken boneless and skinless chicken breasts
2 quarts reduced-fat chicken stock
1 (8 ounce can) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can pitted black olives, sliced and drained
1 quart or 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 quarts or 3 (14.5 ounce cans) diced tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup sliced jalapeño peppers
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 quart pasta sauce
1/4 cup taco seasoning
3 tablespoons chili seasoning
3 drops jalapeño pepper hot sauce
3 drops chipolte pepper hot sauce
3-1/2 cups instant brown rice (uncooked)
2 cups reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stockpot, combine chicken breasts
and chicken stock and cook on medium heat until chicken is done. Drain
in a colander and reserve cooking liquid. When chicken is cool, chop
into bite-sized pieces. In a frying pan, sauté onions, mushrooms, sweet
peppers and garlic with black pepper until tender. Drain in a colander.
Drain black beans in a colander and rinse with cold water. In a large
stockpot, combine diced cooked chicken, veggies, drained black beans,
jalapeño peppers, diced tomatoes with juice, pasta sauce, taco
seasoning, chili seasoning, sliced black olives, and hot sauces. Cook
over medium heat until hot and bubbly. Stir in uncooked brown rice, 1
quart of reserved chicken cooking liquid, and the two cheeses. Stir
until well combined. Spray a lasagna pan with cooking spray. Spoon
mixture into pan. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake at 350
degrees F for about 1 hour until rice is cooked.

This is an easy to make healthy dessert. I use the low sugar preserves
I put up. You can use almost any flavor of preserves you like. I have
made these with apricot, raspberry, kiwi pineapple, pineapple, cherry,
blueberry, and strawberry preserves...whatever flavor I felt like.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY "WHATEVER PRESERVES YOU LIKE" SHORTCAKES

2-1/4 cups reduced-fat Bisquick
3 tablespoons Splenda
2/3 cups skim milk
3 tablespoons melted margarine
1 quart low-sugar preserves
low fat whipped topping or vanilla ice cream

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Mix together Bisquick, Splenda, skim
milk and melted margarine until well-combined. Drop by 6 equal
spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 8
to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Split shortcakes. Fill and top
with preserves. Top with low fat whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.
Yields 6 shortcakes.

This is a healthy recipe using a pressure cooker. The few drops of hot
sauce really kicks this up.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY RED LENTIL YOGURT DIP

3/4 cup dried red lentils
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
cold water
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3-4 drops hot sauce
1-3/4 cups reduced-fat chicken stock
1/4 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
black pepper to taste
pita bread, cut into triangles
fresh cut-up vegetables

Soak lentils overnight in vegetable oil, salt, and water to cover.
Drain in a colander. Heat olive oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker.
Sauté onions, garlic and nutmeg until onion is tender. Stir in chicken
stock and lentils. Close cover securely. Place pressure regulator on
vent pipe. Cook 7 minutes at 15 pounds pressure with pressure regulator
rocking slowly. Let pressure drop of its' own accord. Process lentil
mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth. Stir in yogurt and
hot sauce. Season to taste with pepper. Refrigerate until chilled.
Serve with pita bread and fresh veggies for dipping.

This is a healthy recipe using a pressure cooker. This makes a
wonderful starter for a dinner party or a nice lunch served with bread
and a salad.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRENCH ONION SOUP

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/2 teaspoon Splenda
1 tablespoon whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large bay leaf
4 cups reduced-fat beef stock
fine sea salt, to taste
2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mozzarella cheese

Heat olive oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker. Sauté onions and garlic
uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in Splenda and cook over medium-low heat
until onions are golden in color. Stir in flour, thyme, pepper and bay
leaf. Cook 1 minute. Stir in beef stock. Close cover securely. Place
pressure regulator on vent pipe. Cook 10 minutes at 15 pounds pressure
with pressure regulator rocking slowly. Let pressure drop of its' own
accord. Remove and discard bay leaf. Season to taste with fine sea
salt. Ladle into 4 oven-proof bowls. Top with shredded Mozzarella
cheese. Place on a cookie sheet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or
until cheese is hot and bubbly. Serve immediately. Make four servings.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 550 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

This is a healthy recipe using a pressure cooker. This makes a yummy
side dish for any Mexican-themed meal.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY MEXICAN BLACK BEANS

1-1/2 cups dried black beans
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
water
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
1 large bay leaf
1 cup chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons finely minced jalapeño peppers
3-4 drops hot sauce
1 tablespoon whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2-1/2 cups reduced-fat beef stock

Soak black beans overnight in 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,
salt, and water to cover. Drain in a colander. Heat 2 tablespoons
extra virgin olive oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker. Sauté onions,
garlic and bay leaf until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, jalapeño
peppers, flour, sea salt, cumin and black pepper. Sauté 2 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaf. Add beans, hot sauce and beef stock.
Close cover securely. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Cook 35
minutes at 15 pounds pressure with pressure regulator rocking slowly.
Let pressure drop of its' own accord. Makes 6 servings.

This is a healthy recipe using a pressure cooker. This makes a yummy
side dish for any Mexican-themed meal. My original recipe called for a
smoked ham hock. Substituting the turkey bacon gives the same flavor
but with less fat.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY PINTO BEANS

1-1/2 cups dried pinto beans
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
water
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup chopped scallions (green onions)
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
3 tablespoons finely minced jalapeño peppers
8 slices turkey bacon, chopped
3-4 drops hot sauce
1 tablespoon whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
3 cups cold water

Soak black beans overnight in 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,
salt, and water to cover. Drain in a colander. Heat 2 tablespoons
extra virgin olive oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker. Sauté onions,
scallions, garlic, turkey bacon and jalapeño peppers until onions are
tender. Stir in flour, cumin, chili powder, paprika and black pepper.
Sauté 2 minutes. Add beans, hot sauce and water. Close cover securely.
Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Cook 25 minutes at 15 pounds
pressure with pressure regulator rocking slowly. Let pressure drop of
its' own accord. Makes 8 servings.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 350 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

DOGGY OR KITTY BISCUITS

1 pound liver, or other meat
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
2 cups bran
1/4 cup cooking oil

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees F. Cover meat with cold water and bring to
a boil. Immediately lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove meat
from water and let cool; retain water. When meat is completely cool,
chop into 1-inch pieces and grind in food processor, chop in blender, or
process through a meat grinder until it is finely ground. Mix ground
meat, bran, oatmeal, and oil, adding the cooking water from the meat as
necessary to make a thick dough. Avoid using any more liquid than
needed to make a dough that is coarse and just wet enough to work with.
Shape the dough into flattened balls or little bone shapes and arrange
on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 3 hours. Then, turn off the heat
and let the biscuits cool in the oven to ensure they are hard and
crunchy. Let the biscuits air dry for 24 hours and store in an airtight
container on the shelf for up to 4 weeks. NOTE: When making this recipe
for cats, shape the biscuits into tiny bits for easy chewing.

HUMMINGBIRD AND ORIOLE NECTAR

2 cups water
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Boil water, then stir in sugar. Return to boiling, then cool,
uncovered. Store in the refrigerator. WARNING: Stick to the 4 parts
water to 1 part sugar proportion, as more sugar may be harmful to the
birds. Use white table sugar only. Honey can encourage a lethal
fungus. Artificial sweeteners have no nutrients and cause tumors. DO
NOT add red food coloring. All feeders have red on them somewhere to
attract birds. Hang feeders in the shade. Wash your feeder every time
you replace the syrup. A bottle brush is handy. Unused sugar water
will ferment and get cloudy. It will stay fresh in an outdoor feeder
about 1 1/2 weeks in the winter, but will ferment much faster in summer.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Teacher's Humor Pages
http://www.reacheverychild.com/feature/humor.html

No-Sew Plant Pokes - These sweet plant pokes are a quick, easy
decorating project!
http://www.debbiemumm.com/potm/03/august/crafts/augustpotmcrafts.asp

Hand-Colored Oven Mitts - Tap kid's creativity to turn plain oven mitts
and potholders into handy kitchen art fit for gift-giving.
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10350

Handprint Apron - Kids will enjoy making this handy apron. All they have
to do is dip their hands in paint and voilá, they've made a great gift
with their own "signature" on it.
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10368

Puzzle frame for the kids to make
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/puzzle.html

Free Flash Cards, ABC Poster and More
http://www.babybumblebee.com/funtastic.cfm

Tic Tac Toe
http://www.searchalot.com/texis/open/search?p=mamma&ss=s&q=kid+activity

Site for Teachers
http://sitesforteachers.com/index.html

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Authentic Indian Name Generator - This is hysterical!!
http://www.aspalta.cbc.ca/deaddog_asp/aininfo.asp

Cat Purse - This is a cat pouch purse like the Capri sun ones.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63852&item=6760920488&rd=1

Pride of Angels
http://www.geocities.com/twilagail/pride92701ofangels.html

Clothespin Curtain Holders
http://www.craftsayings.com/projects/home_dec/clothespin_curtains/index.shtml

Cheap Fabric Sources
http://sewing.about.com/library/blfab.htm?once=true

Sew Your Own Tote Bag
http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa061600a.htm

Garden Angel
http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Projects.cgi?GardenAngel

Free Plastic Canvas Patterns
http://www.craftdesigns4you.com/freepcpatterns.htm

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

"A Golden Chain"

Friendship is a golden chain; the links are friends so dear,
and like a rare and precious jewel, it's treasured more each year.
It's clasped together firmly with a love that's deep and true,
and it's rich with happy memories and fond recollections, too.

Time can't destroy its beauty for, as long as memory lives,
years can't erase the pleasure that the joy of friendship gives.
For friendship is a priceless gift that can't be bought or sold,
but to have an understanding friend is worth far more than gold.
The golden chain of friendship is a strong and blessed tie,
binding kindred hearts together as the years go passing by.

~Author Unknown~

"Thoughts To Live By"

Should you find it hard to get to sleep tonight; just remember the
homeless family who has no bed to lie in.

Should you find yourself stuck in traffic; don't despair. There are
people in this world for whom driving is an unheard of privilege.

Should you have a bad day at work; think of the man who has been out of
work for the last three months.

Should you despair over a relationship gone bad; think of the person who
has never known what it's like to love and be loved in return.

Should you grieve the passing of another weekend; think of the woman in
dire straits, working twelve hours a day, seven days a week, for $15.00
to feed her family.

Should your car break down, leaving you miles away from assistance,
think of the paraplegic who would love the opportunity to take that
walk.

Should you notice a new gray hair in the mirror; think of the cancer
patient in chemo who wishes she had hair to examine.

Should you find yourself at a loss and pondering what is life all about;
what is my purpose? Be thankful, there are those who didn't live long
enough to get the opportunity.

Should you find yourself the victim of other people's bitterness,
ignorance, smallness or insecurities; remember, things could be worse.
You could be them!!!

~Author Unknown~

"I Believe In You"

When the world pulls you down, when you're feeling low,
when nothing seems right, I want you to know, I believe in you!
I believe in your ability to turn things around,
to get yourself up when you hit the ground.
I believe in your capacity for giving and sharing,
for kindness and good, for loving and caring.
I believe in your depth, in your color and hue.
With all of my heart, I believe in you!

(c) 2000 Terri McPherson
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
mailto:tmcp-@mnsi.net

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

JEANNE'S PICKLING SPICE MIXTURE

1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
4 bay leaves, broken into bits
3 dried hot chili peppers, broken into bits
2 inch piece of cinnamon, broken into bits
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1/4 cup celery seeds
1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon caraway seeds

Mix all ingredients together. Store in container with tight fitting
cover. Makes about 1 cup.

JEANNE'S PICKLED BEETS AND ONIONS

12 pound small beets, scrubbed
3 cups cold water
7 cups apple cider vinegar
5 to 5-1/2 cups granulated sugar or Splenda (depending upon sweetness of
beets)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (or brown sugar replacement)
5 cups thinly sliced onions
2 teaspoons pickling salt
2 tablespoons whole allspice berries
3 (3 inch) whole cinnamon sticks

Trim off all but 2 inches of each beet stem, leaving root end. In a
large stockpot, add beets and just enough water to cover beets. Cover
and cook about 25 minutes or until beets are tender but firm. Drain
beets; cover with cold water. Cool enough to slip off skins and drain.
Remove skins. Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, combine water, vinegar,
sugars, onions, salt, allspice berries and whole cinnamon stick. Stir
over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Add beets, cover and simmer 15
minutes. Remove from heat; discard cinnamon sticks and allspice
berries. Using a slotted spoon, pack hot beets into sterilized jars,
leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Pour hot liquid over beets, leaving
1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process 30 minutes in a boiling water canner. Yields: 12 pints.

JEANNE'S PICKLED GARLIC

6 to 8 heads garlic
2 cups red wine vinegar
2 cups cold water
1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon pickling salt

Separate and peel garlic cloves. Sprinkle with Fruit Fresh. Place all
ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes,
stirring from time to time. Reduce heat to medium and cook another 5
minutes. Ladle into sterilized jars. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Refrigerate at least 1
month before serving to allow flavors to marry. Yields 2 pints.

This is an unusual pickle that makes a yummy side dish. The addition of
the fresh dill weed really perks up the blandness of the eggplant. You
can make it healthier by using Splenda instead of the honey.

JEANNE'S PICKLED EGGPLANT

6 eggplants, peeled and cut into thick sticks 2 inches long
2 medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped.
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
4 springs fresh dill weed, chopped
1 stick cinnamon (1 inch long)
3-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup honey or Splenda
1 cup water

Boil eggplants and onions in water for 5 minutes, drain and plunge into
ice water and drain again. Place allspice, cinnamon and peppercorns in
spice bag( in cheesecloth or tea ball) and cook with vinegar, honey or
Splenda and water to boiling. Simmer until syrup is thick. Add
eggplant, dill weed and onions and heat through. Remove spice bag and
ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air
bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in water bath for 15
minutes. Makes 5 to 6 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Carla, wrote:

Jeanne, thank you so much for the beautiful Mother's Day issue. It
really made my day. I am really enjoying all the great healthy recipes.
You are right when you say they are so yummy that no one knows they are
good for you. I made your healthy sweet and sour chicken and your
healthy chop suey when I had some friends over for dinner and it was a
BIG HIT!! It had just the right combination of flavors and textures.
For dessert, I served your healthy baked apple supreme. Another hit!!
Almost all of my friends are on this or that diet and when I told them
that the entire menu was healthy, they all wanted the recipes so I
shared with them. Keep the tasty recipes coming. Hugs, Carla^^^

[Carla, people can't believe that eating healthier is so easy. By
changing one or two ingredients and draining excess fats, you can easily
convert most recipes. Glad you are enjoying my creations.]

^^^reader, Sonya, wrote:

Jeanne, I certainly would love to have you cook for me. Your recipes
are sooooo good and good for you too!! Six months ago, my doctor told
me I had to lose weight as my blood sugar level was getting too high. I
too have a history of adult onset diabetes in my family and quite
frankly, I was determined not to have to take pills or insulin if I
could prevent it. I really am enjoying this new "lifestyle" as you call
it. In the last six months, I have dropped 42 pounds and I just had a
fasting blood test and believe it or not, it was normal. You are an
inspiration to me and I am sure lots of other folks. God bless you for
all you do! Hugs, Sonya^^^

[Sonya, thank you for the very nice email. I love to hear that people
get inspired by what I share each week. I now have had two fasting
blood sugar tests since embarking upon this healthier eating lifestyle
and both have been normal. Congratulations on the weight loss and on
controlling your blood sugar level.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 119 (Monday, 5-16-05)<><><>