Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 120 - 5-30-05  justjeanne49
 May 29, 2005 14:31 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 120 (Monday, 5-30-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 120 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Sorry we didn't publish last week. I had hoped to get some gardening
done but again Mother Nature did not cooperate. Between cold
temperatures, rain and high winds, which have been continuous, my garden
still is not in. The garden trellis is almost finished now. It still
needs another coat of paint and I hope to do that tomorrow.

I have had some computer problems with my Outlook 2000 and may have to
bite the bullet and take everything off the computer and reload
everything. Already I lost everything I had in my inbox that I hadn't
gotten around to saving to files. I usually back things up but got lazy
for a few weeks so I have no one to blame but myself.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

H A P P Y   M E M O R I A L   D A Y   ! ! !

"For me, happiness came from prayer to a kindly God, faith in a kindly
God, love for my fellow man, and doing the very best I could everyday of
my life. I had looked for happiness in fast living, but it was not
there. I tried to find it in money, but it was not there, either. But
when I placed myself in tune with what I believed to be fundamental
truths of life; when I began to develop my limited ability, to rid mind
of all kinds of tangled thoughts and fill it with zeal and courage and
love; when I gave myself a chance by treating myself decently and
sensibly, I began to feel the stimulating, warm glow of happiness."
~Edward Young~

"If you want a place in the sun you've got to put up with a few
blisters."
~Abigail Van Buren~

"Gardens are not made by sitting in the shade "
~Rudyard Kipling~

"May all your weeds be wildflowers."
~Author Unknown~

"To create a little flower is the labor of ages."
~Robert Blake ~

"'Tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes."
~William Wordsworth ~

"Create Your Own Vision"

You can create a vision that inspires others. Yes, you can!

Reserve time to dream. Disconnect from the fire-fighting pressure of
work. Take exotic vacations and enjoy escape weekends. Plan a few
"mental health" days each year.

Use time away from your regular routine to fantasize about tomorrow.
Set new goals, dream up new products and services, ask what-if and
why-not questions, search for new connections between old ideas.

Your vision probably needs to be consistent with a larger vision; that
of others. Study their creeds, values and beliefs for guidance and
inspiration in forming your own.

Put your vision down on paper. First address your leadership role.
What changes do you foresee in that role? What plans do you have for
bringing changes about?

Share your vision with those who will join with you in attaining it.
Better yet, let them help you create it.

~Author Unknown~

"Nothing is more the child of art than a garden."
~Sir Walter Scott~

"How fair is a garden amid the trials and passions of existence."
~Benjamin Disraeli~

"Heaven is beneath our feet as well as over our heads."
~Henry David Thoreau~

"An addiction to gardening is not all bad when you consider all the
other choices in life."
~Cora Lea Bell~

"Now Or Never"

Imagine there is a bank that credits your account each morning with
$86,400. It carries over no balance from day to day. Every evening the
bank deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to use during the
day. What would you do? Draw out every cent? Of course!

Each of us has such a bank. Its' name is TIME. Every morning, it
credits you with 86,400 seconds. Every night it writes off, as lost,
whatever of this you have failed to invest to good purpose. It carries
over no balance. It allows no overdraft.

Each day it opens a new account for you. Each night it burns the
remains of the day. If you fail to use the day's deposits, the loss is
yours. There is no going back. There is no drawing against tomorrow.

You must live in the present, on today's deposits. Invest it so as to
get from it the utmost in health, happiness and success! The clock is
ticking. Make the most of today.

To realize the value of ONE YEAR, ask a student who failed a grade.

To realize the value of ONE MONTH, ask a mother who gave birth to a
premature baby.

To realize the value of ONE WEEK, ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.

To realize the value of ONE HOUR, ask the lovers who are waiting to
meet.

To realize the value of ONE MINUTE, ask a person who missed the train.

To realize the value of ONE SECOND, ask a person who just avoided an
accident.

To realize the value of ONE MILLISECOND, ask the person who won a silver
medal in the Olympics.

Treasure every moment that you have!

~Author Unknown~

"Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will
avoid you. It won't come. But if you pay no attention to it and go
about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and
jumping into your lap."
~William Bennett~

"All of the great achievers of the past have been visionary figures;
they were men and women who projected into the future. They thought of
what could be, rather than what already was, and then they moved
themselves into action, to bring these things into fruition."
~Bob Proctor~

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out
they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be
astonished at the energy that comes out of you."
~William James~

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do,
something to love and something to hope for."
~Joseph Addison~

"Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines."
~Robert Schuller~

"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing
like no one is listening, and live like it's heaven on earth."
~William Purkey~

"I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the
earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into
the heavens and say there is no God."
~Abraham Lincoln~

"Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have
let go."
~William Feather~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Cashew Chicken
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Beef and Bean Casserole
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Mac 'N Cheese
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Salmon Loaf With Tartar Sauce
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Veal Parmesan with Yellow Squash
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Tuna Casserole
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Oatmeal-Wheat Germ Dog Cookies
   Recipe:   Kitty Cat Treats
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Canning Tomatillos
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Tomatillo Salsa
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Tomatillo Chutney
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Tangy Sweet and Sour Sauce
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

This is a very yummy recipe I adapted to make it healthier. The
marinade makes this chicken "too die for". The cashews add a nice
crunch. The sweetness of the pineapple preserves marries well.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CASHEW CHICKEN

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 tablespoons low-fat Italian salad dressing
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 scallions (green onions) cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 can (6 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup reduced-sugar pineapple preserves
4 cups hot cooked brown rice
1/4 cup roasted cashews
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large zipper
bag. Blend the cornstarch, black pepper, Italian salad dressing, soy
sauce and garlic powder in a small bowl until well-combined. Pour over
chicken pieces. Seal bag and turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator at
least 1 hour or overnight. Drain chicken; discard marinade. Heat oil
in wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add
onions and stir-fry 1 minute. Add chicken and stir-fry 2 minutes or
until browned. Add mushrooms, peppers and water chestnuts; stir-fry 3
minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and chicken is no longer
pink in center. Stir in pineapple preserves and stir fry 1 minute or
until heated through. Serve chicken and vegetables over rice. To roast
cashews, put 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in the wok and stir fry
raw cashews for 1-2 minutes until brown. Drain on a paper towel. Top
servings evenly with cashews. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

This is another family favorite I have adapted to make it healthier.
Serve this with a nice salad and you have a yummy meal.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BEEF AND BEAN CASSEROLE

1-1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 cup chopped scallions (green onions)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
2-3 drops hot sauce
1 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1(8 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup skim milk
1-1/4 cup reduced-fat Bisquick
2 cups reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Sauté ground beef and green onions in
extra virgin olive oil until meat is browned. Drain in a colander to
remove excess fat. Return to pot and add paprika, garlic powder,
oregano, hot sauce, Splenda or sugar, black pepper, salt, tomatoes and
chilies with their juice, pinto beans, and tomato sauce. Stir to mix
well. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat. Spray a baking dish with
cooking spray. Pour beef mixture into prepared dish. Combine beaten
eggs, milk, and Bisquick until well-combined. Spread evenly on top beef
mixture. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees
F for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Serves four.

Who says you can't have comfort foods that are healthy for you? This is
an adaptation of a family favorite.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY MAC 'N CHEESE

2 cups whole wheat macaroni, cooked and drained
1-1/2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups skim milk
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
8 ounces reduced-fat sour cream
2 slices whole-wheat bread made into crumbs

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a two-quart baking dish with
cooking spray and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt,
paprika, and black pepper. In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter
or margarine. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté until
the onions are translucent. Add the flour mixture and cook for 3
minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add the skim milk. Cook for
8-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly so it will not scorch
until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and add the shredded
Cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Cook and drain macaroni.
Place in a bowl and stir in sour cream until well-combined. Pour the
cheese sauce over the macaroni and stir until well-combined. Spoon
mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with fresh bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until hot and
bubbly. Serves 4 as a main course or 8 as a side dish.

This salmon loaf is good served hot or cold with my healthy tartar sauce
recipe below.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY SALMON LOAF WITH TARTAR SAUCE

1 (16 ounce) can salmon, drained
2 large eggs
2 cups fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
1 cup skim milk
1 medium sweet green pepper, seeded and minced finely
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried dill weed

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine all
ingredients and form a loaf. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
Place loaf into prepared pan. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil and
bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes. Serves four.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY TARTAR SAUCE

1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon finely minced onions
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely minced sweet pickles
dash of ground red pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until
well-combined. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 550 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

The preparation of this yummy one-dish meal takes a little time but the
results are worth the extra bit of work.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY VEAL PARMESAN WITH YELLOW SQUASH

2 pounds veal steak, trimmed of all visible fat
1/4 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 quart pasta sauce
1 quart diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 cups sliced yellow squash
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese
extra olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large non-stick skillet, sauté
onions, mushrooms and garlic until veggies are cooked. Drain in a
colander and set aside. Slice yellow squash and sauté in extra virgin
olive oil about 4-6 minutes until squash starts to get tender. Drain on
paper towels to remove excess fat. Spray a lasagna pan with cooking
spray. Layer cooked squash on bottom. Trim all visible fat off veal
steak. Cut into 8 pieces. Place slices between two sheets of plastic
wrap and pound with a meat mallet until thin. In a shallow bowl, beat
eggs. Using a food processor, make whole-wheat bread crumbs. Add in
Italian seasoning and black pepper. Dip each slice of veal in egg wash
and then in bread crumbs. Sauté in extra virgin olive oil about 1-1/2
to 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper toweling. Layer the cooked
veal slices on top of the squash. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Layer the cooked onion/mushroom/garlic mixture on top. Add the diced
tomatoes with juice on top. Pour the pasta sauce on top. Evenly
sprinkle the shredded Mozzarella cheese on top. Bake uncovered at 350
degrees F for 30-45 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Makes 6 to 8
servings.

This is a healthier version of my late Mom's famous tuna casserole. Her
version used crushed potato chops. By experimenting, I discovered that
crushed reduced-fat Ritz crackers work just as well. I took her basic
recipe and got creative with it by adding in the sour cream, Monterey
Jack and Parmesan cheeses. I also added in the frozen broccoli to make
this a one dish meal.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY TUNA CASSEROLE

2 (12 ounce) cans tuna packed in water, drained
2 (10-1/4 ounce) cans Campbells 98% fat-free Cream of Mushroom soup plus
2 cans skim milk
1 (16 ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
2 cups crushed reduced-fat Ritz crackers
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1-1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 pound package frozen broccoli florets
1 pound package of whole-wheat noodles cooked according to package
directions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine all
ingredients except noodles. Mix until well-combined. Ladle into a deep
casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover dish
with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 minutes until hot and
bubbly. Cook noodles according to package directions. Makes 6 to 8
servings.

VARIATION: Substitute canned crabmeat or salmon instead of the tuna.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 350 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-Doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group I am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

OATMEAL-WHEAT GERM DOG COOKIES

3 cups whole-wheat or rye flour
3 cups uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup plain wheat germ
6 tablespoons margarine
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup water

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F. Mix together the first 3 ingredients.
Then thoroughly mix in the last 4 ingredients. Dough will be stiff.
Chill for a half hour. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls into balls. Flatten,
place on greased cookie sheet, and bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees F.
Yield: 50 dog cookies.

KITTY CAT TREATS

1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1/4 cup soy flour
1/3 cup dry milk
1 teaspoon catnip
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the dry ingredients.
Follow by adding the remaining ingredients, and blending well. Roll out
onto a greased cookie sheet, then cut into bite sized pieces. Bake at
350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool.
Store in air-tight container.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Surfing the Net with Kids - Ever worry about your children and
grandchildren surfing the Net and what they are finding? Barbara J.
Feldman, syndicated columnist, welcomes parents, kids, teens,
grandparents, teachers, librarians and the incurably curious to 'Surf
the Net.' She provides site recommendations, current, new, and
previously cited. You can enter by topic, by date, and even find new
and exciting games
http://www.surfnetkids.com/

Here's a large variety of printable coloring pages
http://www.coloring.ws/looney1.htm

Stick Puppets
http://www.kidssundayschool.com/Gradeschool/Crafts/1craft07.php

Five Steps Craft
http://www.kidssundayschool.com/Gradeschool/Crafts/1craft06.php

Pet Travel Tote Craft
http://www.tclontv.com/projects/projectsdisplay.asp?search=category&show=painted+projects&item=20040728000706

US Patriotic Crafts:
www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/patriotic/

Patriotic Crafts for Children. ...
www.daniellesplace.com/html/patriotic_crafts.html

Patriotic Crafts from MakingFriends.com
www.makingfriends.com/Patriotic.htm

Flag Wall Hanging, Patriotic Crafts for Kids ...
www.allcrafts.net/patriotic.htm

DLTK's Fourth of July Crafts - Printable templates for children's
Fourth of July crafts suitable for preschool, kindergarten and grade
school kids.
www.dltk-kids.com/usa/

Top 10 Patriotic Crafts for Kids ... Beaded to resemble the stars and
stripes, this clever necklace is a charming accessory for kids
www.healthykids.com/

Patriotic Craft Projects! Free American Flags! Patriotic Pinwheel
www.reasontoparty.com/patriotic_crafts.htm

Annie's "Memorial Day Kids" Page   -Patriotic Crafts for Kids & Flag
Crafts for Kids. American Heart Wreath Related Pages: What do the Colors
of the Flag Mean? ...
www.annieshomepage.com/memorialdaykids.html

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Memorial Day
http://llerrah.com/memorialday.htm

Memorial Day Is Every Day
http://llerrah.com/memorialdayeveryday.htm

For The Sacrifices They Made
http://llerrah.com/sacrifices.htm

Cute Jazz Band
http://www.riversongs.com/fun/music.html

Cool One
http://www.riversongs.com/Flas/coolone.html

Annie's Patriotic & Military Graphics & Links
http://www.wtv-zone.com/AnniesTreasures/patriotic.html

Diabella's Vintage Cat Graphics
http://diabellalovescats.com/graphics.htm

Glowing Angels
http://www.geocities.com/kraftproject/craft-glowingangels-060503.html

Hanging Rack
http://www.geocities.com/kraftproject/craft-hook-em-up.html

Recycle Craft
http://www.geocities.com/kraftproject/craft-recycled-calendar-prints.html

Shell Bag (Crochet)
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/Boutique/2741/free1.htm

Summer Purses
http://www.joann.com/content/projects/projectsDisplay.jhtml?articlePath=%2Fcontent%2Fprojects%2Fstatic%2Fnew%2Fsummer_purses.jhtml&CATID=25293

Hair Band Holder
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/article/0,1789,HGTV_3352_1399650,00.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

"The Recipe Book"

I ran across a book one day
At a flea market seller's stall.
I said, "What do you want for this?"
He sighed, "Fifty cents is all."

It looked quite old and dirty
But some recipes looked good.
I put it on my nightstand
I would read it when I could.

That night I wiped the cover
And took a peek inside.
I found more than some recipes
This was a sweet surprise

The well-worn pages told me
About this woman's life.
Each family member's favorites
Were marked and noted twice.

Her first pot roast was stringy
She noted with shaky hand.
Her new husband had eaten it
But said it was so bland!

Favorite cakes were circled there,
Sometimes there was a smudge.
"This is Jimmy's favorite"
Had a trace of chocolate fudge!

Through the angel cakes and fritters
I saw a pattern form.
Notes were made throughout this book
So tattered, and so worn.

Old coupons were still in the back
I found a pocket there.
And in the very bottom
A dry rose, a lock of hair.

Bits of poems and sage advice
Were scribbled through the book.
She took me through her life and past
I learned more than what to cook.

I think what bothered me the most
Was the inscription in the front.
"I give this book to my daughter Jen,
I hope it helps you some."

I wonder why the book was there
Obviously cast aside.
It represented a mother's heart
All the love she held inside.

From baby food and funeral pie
My eyes were close to sleep.
I smiled and thought, "Don't worry Mom"
Your treasure I will keep.

Next morning I wrapped the book
In tissue, clean and white
I look forward to my visits there
Each and every night.

I knew I'd found some memories
Worth more than purest gold.
I think I'll try the chicken soup
That cured Aunt Mabel's cold.

Karen Shaw Matteson
(c) 2001

"Lasting Light Poetry"
http://lastinglight.com/

"May you...."

May you know, in your heart, that others are always thinking of you.
May you always have rainbows that follow the rain.
May you celebrate in the wonderful things about you.
And when tomorrow comes, may you do it all over again.
May you remember how full of smiles the days can be.
May you believe that what you search for you will see.
May you find time to smell the flowers, and find some time to share the
beauty of you.
May you envision today as a gift, and tomorrow as another.
May you add a meaningful page to the diary of each new day.
May you make "living happily ever after..." something that really comes
true.
And may you always keep planting the seeds of dreams.
Because if you keep believing in them, they'll keep trying their best...
to blossom for you.

~Author Unknown~

"To Touch The Heart"

To touch the heart of someone dear,
though it might sometimes cause a tear,
to fall or rest upon the cheek,
should be something all should seek.

For often hearts not touched at all,
start hardening and shrinking small,
and then the time it takes to grow,
a loving heart is very slow.

For hearts expand as those who care,
extend their love and let us share,
a moment, space or special phrase,
that eases pain on dreary days.

Or simply starts our lips to smile,
and brightens time for just a while.
The ways and kinds and means of sharing,
it seems to me are based on caring.

And though we're often worlds apart,
you still can touch my very heart.
You make me smile or shed a tear,
and I'll remember year to year,
just how your "touching" helped me grow,
and I just thought I'd tell you so.

~Author Unknown~

"Spring comes; the flowers learn their colored shapes."
~Maria Konopricka~

"If You Have a Dream"

Don't wait for some distant day to come. It may be too late before
you've even begun.   Not everyone will agree with all you decide. Be
true to yourself first and foremost. The only important thing in life
is what you do with the time you spend here on earth.

Don't be afraid to follow your desires, they are not silly nor selfish.
Take the time and do what makes you feel alive. Leave your fears and
regrets in the past, for this is where they belong.

Don't cloud today with things that can't be undone. You have no more
control over yesterday or tomorrow, than you do the raging of your
passions. Do not quiet these dreams nor quench your desires. For if
you do, your journey is ended.

You have only today to begin anew and follow your dreams. For in the
end all we have are our memories. When the twilight comes to us, let
there be, no excuses, no explanations, no regrets.

~Author Unknown~

Why didn't the frog sit on the toadstool?
Because there wasn't mushroom.!

Where does Friday come before Thursday?
In the dictionary!

How do fish travel to work?
In carp pools!

Why isn't your nose 12 inches long?
Because then it would be a foot.!

How do you find your way around a dark castle?
Use a knight light.!

What is a vampires favorite dog?
A bloodhound!

How do you cut a wave?
With a sea saw!

What is a comedian's favorite breakfast cereal?
Cream of wit.!

Why did the spider have fireflies for dinner?
She wanted to have a light meal!

What do frogs drink at snack time?
Croak-a-cola.!

What do you call a funny book about eggs?
A yolk book!

How do you catch a runaway dog?
Hide behind a tree and make a noise like a bone!

What dog loves to take bubble baths?
A shampoodle!

What kind of dog does a vampire prefer?
Any kind of bloodhound!

What do you call a happy Lassie?
A jolly collie!

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

CANNING TOMATILLOS

Tomatillos may be canned following the instructions for canning
tomatoes. Because of the firmness of the fruit, it is recommended that
the hot pack method be used. Remove the husks; wash well. They do not
have to be peeled or seeded. Cook the tomatillos in boiling water until
tender, 5-10 minutes. Drain and pack hot tomatillos loosely into
sterilized jars. Fill with boiling water. Acidify with 1 tablespoon
lemon juice per pint or 2 tablespoons per quart, or 1/4 teaspoon citric
acid (Fruit Fresh) per pint or 1/2 teaspoon per quart. Leave 1/2-inch
headspace. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner 40 minutes for
pints or 45 minutes for quarts.

JEANNE'S TOMATILLO SALSA

10 cups chopped, cored, husked tomatillos
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green chilies
8 cloves garlic, minced
4 teaspoons cumin
4 tablespoons minced cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup lime juice

Combined all ingredients into a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and
simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle mixture into sterilized jars. Cap and
seal. Process in a water bath canner for 15 minutes. Yield: 8 half
pints.

This is a great chutney to serve with any type of Mexican food. Tart
and tangy; yet sweet and spicy.

JEANNE'S TOMATILLO CHUTNEY

8 cups chopped tomatillos, husked and chopped
4 cups chopped, peeled and cored tart apples
2 pounds seedless golden yellow raisins
1-1/2 cups chopped red onions
2 cloves garlic minced finely
1 cup chopped sweet red peppers
4 cups brown sugar or brown sugar replacement
1 quart apple cider vinegar
2 hot red peppers, seeded and chopped finely
3 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and minced finely
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon ground curry powder
juice of one lemon

Husk tomatillos. Wash and chop. In a large stock pot combine all
ingredients. On medium heat, simmer until mixture is thick, about 1
hour and 15 minutes. As mixture begins to thicken, stir frequently to
avoid sticking.    Ladle the hot mixture into sterilized jars. Remove
air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process jars in a water bath
for 10 minutes. Makes approximately 3 quarts or 12 pints. Store in a
cool dark place and let mature for at least six weeks before using.

This sweet and sour sauce is great for egg rolls, deep fried shrimp, or
for chicken or pork.

JEANNE'S TANGY SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE

16 cups red or purple plums, pitted and roughly chopped (about 9 pounds)
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple with juice
2 cups cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
3 cups light brown sugar or brown sugar replacement
4 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
1 cup finely minced red onion
2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
2 teaspoons dry yellow mustard
2 teaspoons pickling salt
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cups Clear-Jel A

Combine the plums, brown sugar, 2 cups of granulated sugar, garlic,
lemon juice, crushed pineapple with juice, onions and vinegar in a large
stockpot. Stir in the mustard, pickling salt and ginger. Over medium
heat, bring the mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce the heat
to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Stir constantly to prevent scorching. Skim off any foam. Remove from
heat and press mixture through a food mill. Return mixture to the
stockpot. In a small bowl, combine the remaining two cups of sugar with
the 2/3 cups of Clear-Jel A. Over low heat, bring the mixture up to a
boil. Gradually add the Clear-Jel mixture, stirring frequently to
prevent clumping. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head
space. Remove air bubbles with a plastic stirrer. Wipe rims. Cap and
seal. Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes. Yields 8 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Alexandria, wrote:

Hello Jeanne and Chelsea. I am so happy to have found your wonderful
newsletter. I have been going through the archives and saving a lot of
your recipes. I have two dogs.   Ruff, who is 5 years old and is a
Heinz 57 variety and Sheba, who is a 2 year black Lab. I have found so
many great recipes to make treats for both of them thanks to Chelsea.
Keep them coming, Chelsea, as Ruff and Sheba wait each week for a new
recipe. Jeanne, your recipes are just so tasty. I made your Healthy
Russian Chicken and your Healthy Pineapple Dream for some friends and
both were big hits. No one dreamed they were healthy dishes. Thanks
for all you do for all of us. Hugs, Alexandria, Ruff and Sheba^^^

[Thank you, Alexandria, Ruff and Sheba. Both Chelsea and I are glad you
like our recipes.]

^^^reader, Tina, wrote:

Hello Jeanne. I just wanted to say thank you for the great newsletter.
I look forward to the inspirational quotes and poems and the yummy
recipes each week. I love the healthy recipes you share each week. I
have been using them as I am borderline diabetic and have to keep my
weight under control. Thanks for making eating healthier so easy.
Regards, Tina^^^

[Thank you, Tina. I am doing well eating healthier. I have lost 65
pounds and kept it off for quite a while as well as got my blood sugar
level back to normal. I need variety in my menu so I am continually
adapting recipes.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 120 (Monday, 5-30-05)<><><>