Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 121 - 6-06-05  justjeanne49
 Jun 05, 2005 12:51 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 121 (Monday, 6-06-05)<><><>

Welcome to Volume 121 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Hope everyone had a good week and enjoyed the long Memorial Day weekend.
I managed to do some needed weeding in the front and back yards and got
my rustic trellis behind the climbing rose bush.

I decided to clear out some of my cookbook collection as I have too many
that I am not using. If anyone is interested, I will send you a long
list of books that are available. The cost is $4.00 per cookbook plus
$2.00 shipping and handling to the USA. If you are outside the USA, I
will have to get the postage rates for you. Just send me an email with
the subject "cookbooks". First come, first served. I will take Paypal
or a check or money order.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "Just Jeanne" start publishing on August 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

"Whatever people may think of you, do that which you believe to be
right. Be alike indifferent to censure or praise."
~Pythagoras~

"God has given us the answers, which too often go unheeded, but if we
search His promise, we'll find everything that's needed."
~Helen Steiner Rice~

"Whoever has a heart full of love always has something to give."
~Pope John XXIII~

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a
butterfly."
~Richard Bach ~

"Have the courage and the wisdom and the vision to raise a definite
standard that will appeal to the best that is in man, and then strive
mightily toward that goal."
~Harold E. Stassen~

"Walk with your feet on the ground and your heart in Heaven."
~Don Bosco~

"To be capable of steady friendship or lasting love, are the two
greatest proofs, not only of goodness of heart, but of strength of
mind."
~William Hazlitt~

"Beauty, truth, friendship, love, creation; these are the great values
of life. We can't prove them, or explain them, yet they are the most
stable things in our lives."
~Jesse Herman Holmes~

"Never forget that life can only be nobly inspired and rightly lived if
you take it bravely and gallantly, as a splendid adventure in which you
are setting out into an unknown country, to meet many a joy, to find
many a comrade, to win and lose many a battle."
~Annie Besant~

"Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in
their pleasure takes joy, even as though it were his own."
~Johann von Goethe~

"When you cannot make up your mind which of two evenly balanced courses
of action you should take, choose the bolder."
~W. J. Slim~

"Be A Kid Again"

Give yourself a gold star for everything you do today.
Grow a milk mustache.
Open a pack of cupcakes and give one to a friend even though you wanted
both of them for yourself.
Have a staring contest with your cat.
Kiss a frog just in case.
Make a face the next time somebody tells you "no."
Ask "Why?" a lot.
Believe in fairy tales.
Have someone read you a story.
Wear your favorite shirt with your favorite pants even if they don't
match.
Do a cartwheel.
Hide your vegetables under your napkin.
Make a "slurpy" sound with your straw when you get to the bottom of a
milkshake.
Sit really still for as long as the dog (or cat) is asleep in your lap.
Find some pretty stones and save them.
Stick your head out the car window and moo if you see a cow.
Walk barefoot in wet grass.
Giggle at nude statues in a museum.
Make cool screeching noises every time you turn.
Count the colors in a rainbow.
Fuss a little, then take a nap.
Take a running jump over a big puddle.
Giggle a lot for no real reason.
Do that
you-stand-on-their-opposite-side-and-they-turn-around-and-no-one's-there
thing.
Enjoy your all-time favorite candy-bar. (Forget you've heard of
calories!)
Throw something and when it lands make a cool exploding bomb noise.
Squish some mud between your toes.
Buy yourself a helium balloon.
Put an orange slice in your mouth, peel side out, and smile at people.

Be a kid again!!

~Author Unknown~

"Bear up the hands that hang down, by faith and prayer; support the
tottering knees. Have you any days of fasting and prayer? Storm the
throne of grace and persevere therein, and mercy will come down."
~John Wesley~

"Prayer is the acid test of devotion."
~Samuel Chadwick~

"Don't pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment with the Lord
and keep it. A man is powerful on his knees."
~Corrie Ten Boom~

"Work as if everything depended on you and pray as if everything
depended on God."
~D. L. Moody~

"Maturity is achieved when a person postpones immediate pleasures for
long-term values."
~Joshua L. Liebman~

"Our greatest happiness in life does not depend on the condition of life
in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of good
conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits."
~Thomas Jefferson~

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
~Walter Bagehot~

"Faith that the thing can be done is essential to any great
achievement."
~Thomas N. Carruther~

"Power is the ability to do good things for others."
~Brooke Astor~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: Just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents in this issue:
   Recipe:   Healthy Yogurt Cheese
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Chicken With Tarragon Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy French Toast
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy French Dressing Mix
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Sweet and Sour Sauce
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Creamy Cucumber Dressing
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Puppysicles
   Recipe:   For Finicky Felines
Laugh or Cry
"Putting Up" with Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Mint Jelly
   Recipe:   Jeanne's English Mint Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Minty Peach Salsa
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Minty Nectarine Preserves
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including CHELSEA'S
CORNER & "PUTTING UP" With Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our International readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new International readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
Volume and Weight, Oven Temperature, Table for U.S. and Metric,
Conversion Factors, British Measurements, and British Cooking
Terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's Note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

NOTE: I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because I created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

HEALTHY YOGURT CHEESE

I got the original recipe from a new member of two of my groups who
hails from Israel. It is so simple to make and is so yummy.

Take a 32 ounce carton of plain yogurt (fat free or regular). In a
mixing bowl, put yogurt and some fine sea salt to taste. Chop up some
fresh herbs (I used garlic chives with their purple flowers). Mix with
a rubber spatula until well-combined. Line a colander with a sheet of
paper towel and place over a pot. Pour mixture into lined colander,
cover with another sheet of paper towel, and leave on counter top for 12
hours. A lot of liquid will drain into the bottom pot and I mean a
lot!! After twelve hours, transfer to a covered container and
refrigerate at least three hours. You can use the liquid that is left
in the pot for baking (within 2-3 days) or if you have a dog, pour some
on their dry cereal.

You can make it plain if you want but the herbs are really yummy. You
may also add dried fruit (reconstituted in hot water and drained) and
some sugar or Splenda to make a cheese that is sweet and fruity. The
cheese will be semi-soft - sort of like cream cheese in consistency.
Use the cheese like any cream cheese; on bread or crackers, as a dip,
etc. My next batch will be made using fresh mint and a little Splenda.
The possibilities for variation are endless. Like a peppery cheese,
chop up some hot peppers. I think a yummy version would be with some
Italian Oregano to use on grilled veggies. Hmmmmm, dill weed would be
good too.

Don't be afraid of the vinegar in this recipe. Cooking tempers its'
bite and the tarragon marries well.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHICKEN WITH TARRAGON SAUCE

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 4-5 ounces each)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup low-fat chicken broth
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar or Splenda
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
4 springs fresh parsley for garnish

In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter with
the oil. When hot, add the shallots and chicken. Sprinkle with salt
and pepper. Cook the chicken, turning once, until browned about 2-3
minutes on each side. Add the broth and 1/4 cup of wine vinegar and
bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the
chicken is opaque throughout, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer the chicken
to a platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil and keep warm. Raise the
heat to high, add the tarragon and remain 1/4 cup of wine vinegar. Boil
rapidly to reduce the liquid to about one-third, about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat, add the tomato paste and sugar (or Splenda). Stir
with a whisk until well-blended. Pour the sauce over the chicken and
sprinkle with chopped parsley. Garnish with parsley sprigs. Serves 4.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRENCH TOAST

4 slices whole-wheat bread
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 packet of Splenda
1 teaspoon butter

Beat eggs with water until frothy. Mix in cinnamon, vanilla and
Splenda. Melt butter on a skillet set at slightly higher than medium
heat. Cooking surface is ready when a drop of water will dance. Dip
the bread in egg mixture and fry until both sides are golden brown.
Serve with sugar-free preserves or sugar-free syrup. Serves 2.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRENCH DRESSING MIX

1 cup Splenda
4 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons dry yellow mustard
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to distribute evenly.
Place mixture in dry container with tight fitting lid. Store in cool,
dry place for up to 6 months. Shake dry mix before measuring for
prepared dressing.

To make French dressing from dry mix:

Combine 1/4 cup of the French dressing mix with 3/4 cup extra virgin
olive oil, 6 tablespoons sugar free ketchup and 1/4 cup vinegar. Shake
until well blended. Chill before serving. Makes about 1-1/4 cups of
French dressing.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade refrigerator magnets for sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to US addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

ATTENTION: All my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian Graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian Kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 550 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

MAKE A MIX RECIPES
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

Our Daily Bread -
A Place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Granny Knows Best:

JEANNE'S HEALTHY SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE

3/4 cup sugar-free ketchup
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoon Lite soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Splenda
2 teaspoons brown sugar replacement
1/4 teaspoon pineapple extract

Heat ketchup, vinegar, water and soy on low until boiling. Remove from
heat and stir in sweeteners and pineapple extract. Makes one cup.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CREAMY CUCUMBER DRESSING

1 cup plain non-fat yogurt (you can use fat-free)
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped finely
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

Mix all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and store in jar
in the refrigerator. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For Tried and True recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 350 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:HealthyCuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-Doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group I am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

To subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof Woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident STAR of "Just Jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American Cocker Spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me has a new friend, Auntie Theresa, who has some neat groups. Check
them out:

*CuteandFunnyAnimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
CuteandFunnyAni-@yahoogroups.com

*GrandparentsRus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
Caring is Sharing.
GrandparentsR-@yahoogroups.com

*JustGarfield4U*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
JustGarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*TACs ToOnZ and Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
TACs_ToOnZ_and-@yahoogroups.com

PUPPYSICLES

Make some chicken or beef broth with bullion cubes. Boil a cup of
water, then add the bullion powder or cube until it dissolves. Let the
broth cool and pour it into an ice cube tray. Place the ice cube tray
into the freezer for several hours or overnight. Once frozen, the ice
pops are ready for your pup. And, lucky for him, they're a flavor that
your doggy loves! Tip: It's best to give your doggy this treat
outdoors, because it will melt. Note: Salty water takes longer to
freeze than regular tap water, so make sure the cubes are frozen solid
before taking them out of the tray.

FOR FINICKY FELINES

1 cup chicken, boiled or micro-waved
1/4 cup fresh broccoli, steamed
1/4 cup shredded carrots, steamed
Chicken broth

Mix ingredients with enough chicken broth to hold together. This same
recipe can be used with fish (broil or microwave until it flakes.) You
can also vary the recipe by adding rice or other vegetables. Yield: 1
serving.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

The Shirley Temple Collection - I love this site!
http://www.foxhome.com/shirley/html/doll/dollf.html

CyberMice Party
http://www.ezines4all.com/games/cybermiceparty/index.htm

FREE McGruff Coloring Book
http://www.mcgruff.com/mcgruff/mcgruff/?pg=13360

Great Websites for Kids
http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/greatwebsites/greatwebsiteskids.htm

Printable Coloring Pages
http://www.rivalquest.com/color/

Printable Summer Coloring Pages
http://coloringbookfun.com/Summer/index.htm

Little Princess Coloring Pages
http://www.urastarbooks.net/coloring_book/coloring_book.htm

Crafts, Games, and Coloring
https://www.procardinternational.com/assoczone/corner/kids/games.htm

The Toymaker - There are all kinds of paper "toys" to make. The
graphics are gorgeous and each has a printable PDF file so you can use
it as a pattern or print it out and fold it up
http://www.thetoymaker.com/

Game Site for Kids
http://www.kidsdomain.com/games/

Game Site for Kids
http://www.bonus.com/

Kids Site
http://www.geocities.com/sherryskidzcc

Game Site for Kids
http://www.angelfire.com/games3/kidsbiz/

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:Chelsea_-@yahoo.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE SUBSCRIPTION to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
"Cooking with Beach Boy"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "Cooking with Beach
Boy," formerly on About.com. When About.com discontinued their chats,
we found
a new home at YahooGroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
CookingBeachB-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Sharing
http://www.mamarocks.com/sharing.htm

Cat Notebook and Pencil Holder
http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/notebookandpencil.html

Stuffed Clown
http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/stuffedclown.html

Animal Pillows
http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/animalpillows.html

Toilet Tissue Cover
http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/stars.html

Bathroom Set
http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/bathroomset.html

Heirloom Memory Page
http://www.tclontv.com/projects/projectsdisplay.asp?search=category&show=paper+crafts&item=20041007235034

Painted Picnic Tins
http://www.tclontv.com/projects/projectsdisplay.asp?search=category&show=painted+projects&item=20040809123516

Kid's Sunshine Tote
http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/june2.html

Personalized Pennants
http://www.tclontv.com/projects/projectsdisplay.asp?search=TV&show=Episode+112&item=20040823154116

Tin Man Craft
http://www.kidssundayschool.com/Gradeschool/Crafts/1craft12.php

Dog Bed Project
http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/e_pet_dog_bed.html

Sewing For Your Pets
http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/e_pets.html

Free Resizable Dog Clothing Pattern
http://www.sewing.circleofcrafters.com/freepetvestpattern.html

Block Quilt Apron Pattern.
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/quilt-block-apron.shtml

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange
A great place to share your favorite recipes
and crafts, Gardening with Gary, .household
hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/archives/092004.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh or Cry:

"Don't Go To Bed"

I've heard it said don't go to bed while hanging on to sorrow,
you may not have the chance to laugh with those you love tomorrow.
You may not mean the words you speak when anger takes its toll,
you may regret your actions once you've lost your self control.

When you've lost your temper and you've said some hurtful things,
think about the heartache that your actions sometimes bring.
You'll never get those moments back, such precious time to waste,
and all because of things you said in anger and in haste.

So if you're loving someone and your pride has settled in,
you may not ever have the chance to say to them again,
"I love you and I miss you and although we don't agree,
I'll try to see your point of view, please do the same for me."

~Author Unknown~

"That's When We Need Friends"

Lonely and alone, discouraged and empty hearted;
that's when we need friends.

When the burden is heavy, the load to much to bear;
that's when we need friends.

When in despair, and needing someone to care;
that's when we need friends.

When the strong arm on your shoulders make the tears flow free;
that's when we need friends.

When the words, "we'll make it through together" seem so sweet;
that's when we need friends.

When courage is needed and strength to carry on;
that's when we need friends.

When you think you can do it alone;
that's when we need friends.

~Author Unknown~

"Happiness Is"

A warm sunny day and the smell of a BBQ!
The freedom of a road trip and the security of going home!
Having someone to curl up with!
Discovering new things and remembering good times!
The laughter of a sibling!
Completing a day of hard work
Lending a helping hand!
Never hitting a red light!
Your favorite song on the radio!
A mother's loving touch and a father's proud approval!
A friendly hello!
Grandma's heartwarming meals and grandpa's heartwarming smile!
The carefree, innocence of a child!
A phone call or email from an old friend and the pleasure of making a
new one!
Happiness is knowing people like you!
Happiness is realizing just how fortunate we are!

~Author Unknown~

"Growing Old"

Another year has passed and we're all a little older.
Last Summer felt hotter and Winter seems much colder.
I rack my brain for happy thoughts, to put down on my pad,
but lots of things that come to mind that make me kind of sad.

There was a time not long ago when life was quite a blast.
Now I fully understand about "Living in the Past"
We used to go to weddings, football games and lunches.
Now we go to funeral homes and after-funeral brunches.

We used to have hangovers, from parties that were gay.
Now we suffer body aches and while the night away.
We used to go out dining, and couldn't get our fill.
Now we ask for doggie bags, come home and take a pill.

We used to often travel to places near and far.
Now we get sore butts from riding in the car.
We used to go out shopping for new clothing at the Mall,
but, now we never bother as all the sizes are too small.

We used to go to nightclubs and drink a little booze.
Now we stay at home at night and watch the evening news.
That, my friend is how life is, and now my tale is told,
so, enjoy each day and live it up before you're too darned old!

~Author Unknown~

What do cats like on their hot dogs?
Mouse-tard!

What's brown, white and yellow and travels at 100 kilometers per hour?
A train driver's egg sandwich!

What did the caveman give his wife on Valentine's Day?
Ughs and kisses!

What do you call a cat who sucks lemons?
A sour puss!

What do snowmen eat for breakfast?
Snowflakes!

What did the Gingerbread Man put on his bed?
A cookie sheet!

What reindeer has the cleanest antlers?
Comet!

Why did the vampire need mouthwash?
He had bat breath!

What do skeletons use when they want a chat?
A tele-bone!

What do you get if you leave a pile of bones in the sun?
A Skele-tan!

When does a skeleton laugh?
When something tickles his funny bone!

What do you get when you cross a werewolf and a vampire?
A fur coat that fangs around your neck!

What do birds give out on Halloween night?
Tweets!

How do you mend a broken jack-o-lantern?
With a pumpkin patch!

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my joke or story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Since the mint in my raised herb bed is taking over, I decided to share
some of my favorite recipes using fresh mint.

JEANNE'S MINT JELLY

2 cups fresh mint washed and chopped finely
2 cups water
8 cups apple juice (can use sugar free)
6 cups sugar or Splenda
4-6 drops green food coloring
1/3 cup lemon or lime juice
2 packages powdered pectin

Wash freshly picked mint and gently pat dry with paper towel. Strip
leaves off stems and chop finely. Put in large stockpot with 2 cups
water. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
Strain well but reserve used mint leaves to make English Mint Sauce
recipe. Add remaining ingredients (except sugar) and bring to rolling
boil. Skim off any foam during this process and discard. Then add
sugar or Splenda. Bring back to rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes
stirring constantly. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in
boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 pints.

Serve with roasted lamb or pork. This is traditionally served in
England.

JEANNE'S ENGLISH MINT SAUCE

4 cups fresh mint washed and chopped finely
4 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
1/4 cup aged white balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup lemon or lime juice
2 bottles English Malt Vinegar (approx. 12.7 oz each)
2 cups white vinegar
1 tbs. ground black pepper

Wash freshly picked mint and gently pat dry with paper towel. Strip
leaves off stems and chop finely. Put in large stockpot. (If you made
Mint Jelly use reserved used mint leaves plus balance - if not use the 4
cups as above). Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer
until mint leaves are softened. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving
1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Yield: 6 pints.

The addition of chopped mint really perks up this delightful fruit
salsa.

JEANNE'S MINTY PEACH SALSA

6 cups peaches, peeled and diced
1-1/2 cups chopped red onion
4 jalapeņo peppers, chopped
1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped finely
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air
bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for
20 minutes. Yields: 6-8 pints.

JEANNE'S MINTY NECTARINE PRESERVES

3 to 4 pounds ripe nectarines, peeled and pitted
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup lemon juice
7 cups sugar or Splenda
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
2 whole cinnamon sticks

Peel and pit the nectarines and cut them into chunks. Put them into a
large stockpot with the water and lemon juice. Make a spice ball with
the cloves, allspice berries and cinnamon sticks. Cook on medium heat
for 10 minutes. Crush the nectarines with a potato masher. Add the
sugar and the mint leaves, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil and
simmer for 15 minutes until mixture is thick. Remove and discard spice
ball. Ladle the preserves into sterilize jars leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner
for 15 minutes. Yields 5 to 6 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader and dear friend, Miss Ellie, wrote:

Hi Jeanne. Seldom do we see a recipe for tartar sauce, and I do
appreciate receiving this recipe; however, I do think it can be improved
upon (just a tad) by adding horseradish. I love your column, and hope
you keep it coming forever. You must really have tremendous
self-discipline to turn out such an informative and contemplative
e-zine. Your recipes are splendid, and I pass them along to my 7
granddaughters, and even now to my great-granddaughters. Love, Ellie^^^

[Hello Miss Ellie. I will try a tad of horseradish next time I make it.
I had to find a healthy version of tartar sauce. The store bought
bands are too high in fat and sodium for me now. I am not sure about
self-discipline. I just love publishing the newsletter each week. I am
honored that you are passing things on to your family members. God
bless you, my friend.]

^^^reader, Bridgit, wrote:

Hello Jeanne. I am so loving your newsletter. Always something for me
to check out and so many great recipes to try.   The kid's links Chelsea
shares makes my two daughters and son very happy. They look forward to
checking them all out each week. Keep them coming! Hugs, Bridgit^^^

[Thank you, Bridgit. Chelsea enjoys finding the links and sharing them
with her little friends.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne
Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 121 (Monday, 6-06-05)<><><>