Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 122 - 6-20-05  justjeanne49
 Jun 19, 2005 12:38 PDT

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 122 (Monday, 6-20-05)<><><>

Welcome to volume 122 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Well, I planted everything last weekend and i overdid it. Had problems
with my neck all last week. I had planned on a much larger garden but
will just have to make do with what got planted.

I got a lot a requests for my lit of cookbooks for sale. I still have a
lot left so i will share the list in granny's column today. The cost is
$4.00 per cookbook plus $2.00 shipping and handling to the USA. If you
are outside the USA, I will have to get the postage rates for you. Just
send me an email with the subject "cookbooks". First come, first
served. I will take Paypal or a check or money order.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "JUST JEANNE" start publishing on august 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

H A P P Y   F A T H E R ' S   D A Y   ! ! !

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the
tune without the words and never stops at all."
~Emily Dickinson~

"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."
~Emily Dickinson~

"Supposing you have tried and failed again and again. You may have a
fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is
not the falling down, but the staying down."
~Mary Pickford~

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterwards."
~Vernon Sanders Law~

"Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great
temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the
real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being
decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you
shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made
except by a steady, long continued process."
~Phillips Brooks~

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will
surprise you with their ingenuity."
~General George S. Patton~

"The most important thing I have learned over the years is the
difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self
seriously. The first is imperative, and the second disastrous."
~Margot Fonteyn~

"It is good to dream, but it is better to dream and work. Faith is
mighty, but action with faith is mightier."
~Thomas Robert Gaines~

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue
at the testing point."
~C. S. Lewis~

"Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition
you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the
struggle against overwhelming odds."
~Orison Sweet Marden~

"When God Created Fathers"

When the good Lord was creating Fathers, He started with a tall
frame. A female angel nearby said, "What kind of a Father is that? If
You're going to make children so close to the ground, why have You put
the Father up so high? He won't be able to shoot marbles without
kneeling, tuck a child in bed without bending, or even kiss a child
without stooping"

God smiled and said, "Yes, but if I make him child size, who would
children have to look up to?"   And when God made a Father's hands, they
were large. The angel shook her head and said, "Large hands can't
manage diaper pins, small buttons, rubber bands on pony tails, or even
remove splinters caused from baseball bats."

Again God smiled and said, "I know, but they're large enough to hold
everything a small boy empties from his pockets, yet small enough to cup
a child's face in them." Then God molded long slim legs and broad
shoulders. "Do You realize You just made a Father without a lap?" The
angel chuckled.

God said, "A Mother needs a lap. A Father needs strong shoulders to
pull a sled, to balance a boy on a bicycle, or to hold a sleepy head on
the way home from the circus."   When God was in the middle of creating
the biggest feet any one had ever seen, the angel could not contain
herself any longer. "That's not fair. Do You honestly think those feet
are going to get out of bed early in the morning when the baby cries, or
walk through a birthday party without crushing one or two of the
guests?"

God again smiled and said, "They will work. You will see. They will
support a small child who wants to ride to the circus or scare mice away
from a summer cabin, or display shoes that will be a challenge to fill."
God worked throughout the night, giving the Father few words, but a
firm authoritative voice; eyes that see everything, but remain calm and
tolerant.

Finally, almost as an after thought, He added tears. Then He turned to
the angel and said, "Now are you satisfied he can love as much as a
Mother can?"

The angel said nothing more.

~Erma Bombeck~

"A Love Story"

Once upon a time, there was an island where all the feelings lived:
Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others including Love.
One day it was announced to the feelings that the island would sink, so
all repaired their boats and left.

Love wanted to persevere until the last possible moment. When the
island was almost sinking, Love decided to ask for help. Richness was
passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said, "Richness, can you take me
with you?" Richness answered, "No, I can't. There is a lot of gold and
silver in my boat. There is no place here for you."

Love decided to ask Vanity who was also passing by in a beautiful
vessel, "Vanity, please help me!" "I can't help you Love. You are all
wet and might damage my boat." Vanity answered.

Sadness was close by so Love asked for help, "Sadness, let me go with
you." "Oh Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!"

Happiness passed by Love too, but she was so happy that she did not even
hear when Love called her!

Suddenly, there was a voice, "Come Love, I will take you." It was an
elder. Love felt so blessed and overjoyed that he even forgot to ask
the elder his name. When they arrived at dry land, the elder went his
own way.

Love realizing how much he owed the elder and asked Knowledge, another
elder, "Who helped me?" "It was Time." Knowledge answered. "Time?"
asked Love. "But why did Time help me?" Knowledge smiled with deep
wisdom and answered, "Because, only Time is capable of understanding how
great Love is."

~Author Unknown~

"When you cannot make up your mind which of two evenly balanced courses
of action you should take, choose the bolder."
~W. J. Slim~

"Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon,
there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are
always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are
right."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"The Deeds Undone"

It isn't the thing you do, friend, it's the thing you leave undone,
which gives you the bitter heartache, at the setting of the sun;
The tender words unspoken, to letter you did not write,
the flowers you might have sent, are your haunting ghosts at night.

The stone you might have lifted, out of a dear friend's way,
the bit of heartsome counsel you were hurried too much to say;
The loving touch of a helping hand, the gentle and winsome tone,
that you had no time or thought for, with troubles enough of your own.

These little acts of kindness, so easily out of mind,
these chances to be angels, which even mortals find.
They come in night and silence, each chill reproachful wraith,
when hope is faint and flagging, and a blight has dropped on faith.

For life is all too short, friend, and sorrow is all to great,
to suffer our slow compassion, that tarries until too late.
So, it's not the things you do, it's the deeds you leave undone,
which gives you a bitter heartache, at the setting of the sun.

~Bertha A. Lawson~

Please Help Us Grow By Recommending Us To Your Friends! To Subscribe,
Just Send A Blank E-Mail To:
Justjeanne4-@Topica.Com
Subscribe To "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How To Get Back Issues From Our Archives: Just Click On The Following
Link:
Http://Www.Topica.Com/Lists/Justjeanne49/Read

Contents In This Issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Apple Walnut Bread
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Creamy Garlic Dressing
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Balsamic Dressing
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Chicken Caesar Roll-Ups
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Garlic Beef Stir Fry
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
   Recipe:   Mackerel Cat Munchies
Laugh Or Cry
"Putting Up" With Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Jell-O Jelly
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Apricot Orange Butter
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Almost V-8 Juice
   Recipe:   Homemade Pectin
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including Chelsea's
Corner & "Putting Up" with Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our international readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new international readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
volume and weight, oven temperature, table for u.s. and metric,
conversion factors, British measurements, and British cooking
terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

Note: i have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because i created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

The honey in this bread marries well with the apples, cinnamon and
walnuts. This is a great breakfast bread.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY APPLE WALNUT BREAD

2 cups warm water
3/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
6 to-6-1/2 cups whole-wheat bread flour
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
2 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, mix the water and 1 tablespoon honey. Sprinkle the
yeast on top. Set aside to proof for 10 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of the
whole-wheat bread flour. Beat well for 3 minutes with an electric
mixer. Stir in the apples, walnut, cinnamon and salt and rest of honey
by hand. Stir in the all-purpose flour. Turn out on a floured counter
and knead in enough of the whole-wheat bread flour to form a workable
dough. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic and only a bit
sticky. Form into a ball. Lightly coat a large mixing bowl with oil.
Add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean white
linen dish cloth and place in a warm place. Allow to rise for 1 hour
(until doubled in size). Lightly oil two 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pans.
Punch down the dough and divide in half. Shape the dough into two
loaves and place in prepared pans. Cover and allow to rise another 45
minutes. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 45 minutes or until
loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove breads from their
pans and place on a wire rack to cool. Makes two loaves.

This dressing is great on salads or uses as a dip for fresh veggies.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CREAMY GARLIC DRESSING

1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced parsley
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons skim milk
dash of fine sea salt
dash of ground black pepper

In a blender of food processor, combine all ingredients until smooth and
creamy. Put into a container with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate
for at least 3 hours before serving. Makes 4 servings.

This dressing is great on salads or used as a marinade for chicken or
pork. The aged balsamic vinegar really perks this up.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BALSAMIC DRESSING

6 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-fat chicken broth
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon honey or Splenda
dash of ground black pepper

In a blender of food processor, combine all ingredients until
well-blended. Put into a container with a tight fitting lid and
refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Makes 4 servings.

This is a yummy healthy Summer type of chicken salad.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN SALAD

2 tablespoons honey
1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup grainy mustard
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh mint
4 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
1/2 cup finely minced celery
1 cup red seedless grapes, chopped roughly

Mix together honey, mayonnaise, mustard and mint until well-combined.
Fold in chicken, celery and chopped grapes. Refrigerate for 3 hours
before serving. Serve on lettuce leaves. Makes 4 servings.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade Refrigerator Magnets For Sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a caucasian or african american
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to us addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

Attention: all my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "just jeanne" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 550 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

Make A Mix Recipes
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
Or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

This is a group I belong to that is very chit-chatty with a lot of nice
members. They share inspirational material, prayers, recipes, and life
in general. Vicky, the owner, is a lovely lady and Betty-Ellen, one of
the co-mods is a good friend.

OUR DAILY BREAD -
A place to come to for great friends, fun, and recipes
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ourdailybread or send an email to:
ourdailybrea-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

GRANNY KNOWS BEST:

Cookbooks for sale:

Each book is $4.00 plus $2.00 each for shipping/handling to the USA.
Anyone outside the USA will have to pay whatever the shipping charges
are. If you are interested, send an email to me at the address below
and put the subject "cookbooks" on it.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

100 Great Soups Stew & Chili Recipes - Ladies Home Journal
A Feast Of Fruits - Elizabeth Riely
A Passion For Potatoes - Lydie Marshall
Amazing Magical Jell-O Desserts - General Foods Corp.
Art Of Food Processor Cookbook - Jane Salzfass Freiman
Barbecues & Picnics - Better Homes & Gardens
Beard On Bread - James Beard
Bert Greene's Kitchen - Bert Greene
Better Homes & Gardens Pies 169 Recipes - Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens All-Time Favorite Casseroles - Better Homes &
Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Casserole Cooking - Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Casual Entertaining - Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Crepes Cookbook - Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Fish & Seafood Recipies - Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Five Seasons Cranberry Book - Better Homes &
Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Make Ahead Cookbook - Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Mexican Cooking - Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes & Gardens Pasta - Better Homes & Gardens
Betty Crocker's All-Time Favorite Recipes - Betty Crocker
Betty Crocker's Christmas Cookbook - Betty Crocker
Betty Crocker's New Chinese - Betty Crocker
Biscotti - Pappas
Bon Appetit Appetizers - Bon Appetit
Bread Machine Bounty - Better Homes & Gardens
Bread Machine Iv - Donna Rathmell German
Bread Machine Magic - Linda Rehberg & Lois Conway
Bread Machine V - Donna Rathmell German
Breads - Sharon Tyler Herbst
Campbell's 100 Best Recipes - Campbell 'S Soup Company
Christmas Cookbook - John Clancy
Complete Book Of Pizza - Louise Love
Cooking The Russian Way - Musia Soper
Country Baker Breads & Muffins - Country Living Book
Craig Claiborne's Kitchen Primer - Craig Claiborne
Creative Cooking Desserts - Landoll's
Creative Cooking Pasta - Landoll's
Crisco Cooking - Proctor & Gamble
Easy As Pie - Leisure Arts
Edible Gifts - Fiona Eaton
Entertaining With Regis And Kathie Lee - Regis Philbin & Kathie Lee
Gifford
Family Circle Cookies & Candies Cookbook - Family Circle
Favorite Cookie Cookbook - Fawcett How-To-Book
Fine Art Of Garnishing - Jerry Crowley
French Cookie Book - Bruce Healy
Fruit Fandango - Moya Clarke
Gas Grill Cookbook - Better Homes & Gardens
Gifts From Your Garden - Joan Scobey/Norma Myers
Good Cook - Pies & Pastries - Time-Life Books
Good Cook - Salads - Time-Life Books
Good Cook - Snacks & Sandwiches - Time-Life Books
Good Mornings (Breakfast Meals) - Michael Mclaughlin
Graham Kerr's Minimax Cookbook - Graham Kerr
Grass Roots Cookbook - Jean Anderson
Hershey's Fabulous Desserts - Publications International
Holiday Food Fun - Publications International
Home Made - Sandra Oddo
Homemade Bread - Nell B. Nichols
Homemade In The Kitchen - Barry Bluestein/Kevin Morrissey
Home-Style Cooking - Better Homes & Gardens
Ideals Christmas Cookbook Treasury - Ideals Publishing Corp.
Ideals Naturally Nutricious Cookbook - Ideals Publishing Corp.
Joy Of Chocolate - Judith Olney
Joy Of Pasta - Barrons
Le Seuer Recipes Party Planners Garnishes - Le Seuer
Lunches And Brunches - Better Homes & Gardens
Made For Giving Gifts From The Kitchen - Pamela Westland
Meals In Minutes - Better Homes & Gardens
More Bread Machine Bounty - Better Homes & Gardens
New Complete Book Of Pasta - Maria Luisa & Jack Denton Scott
New Joys Of Jell-O Recipe Book - General Foods Corp.
New Treasury Of Christmas Recipes - Publications International
New Zucchini Cookbook - Ralston Jordan
Onions, Onions, Onions - Linda & Fred Griffith
Outdoor Feasts - Hugo Arnold
Pasta Machine Cookbook - Donna Rathmell German
Perfect Partes - Leisure Arts
Popular Chinese Cookbook - Alison Burt
Quaker Oats Treasury Of Best Recipes - Quaker Oats
Rosie's All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed Baking - Judy Rosenberg
Santa's Holiday Treats - Wilton
Sensational Soups - Jeni Wright
Simple Desserts Made Special With Cool Whip - Publications International
Smart Bread Machine Recipes - Sandra L. Woodruff
Smith & Wollensky Steak - Friedman/Fairfax
Southern Living 1995 Annual Recipes - Southern Living
Sunset Pasta Cookbook - Sunset
The Bread Machine Cookbook - Donna Rathmell German
The Bread Machine Cookbook Ii - Donna Rathmell German
The Bread Machine Cookbook Iii - Donna Rathmell German
The Spirit Of Christmas Cookbook - Leisure Arts
The World Of Cheese - Evan Jones
Time Life Cooking Of Provinical France - Time-Life Books
Time Life Cooking Of The British Isles - Time-Life Books
Time Life Cooking Of Germany - Time-Life Books
Time Life Russian Cooking - Time-Life Books
Total Women Cookbook - Marabel Margolis
Ultimate Pasta Machine Cookbook - Tom Lacalamita
Williams-Sonoma: Breads - Williams-Sonoma
Williams-Sonoma: Chocolate - Williams-Sonoma
Williams-Sonoma: Grilling - Williams-Sonoma
Williams-Sonoma: Outdoor Cooking - Williams-Sonoma
Williams-Sonoma: Pasta - Williams-Sonoma
Williams-Sonoma: Pies Tarts - Williams-Sonoma
Williams-Sonoma: Pork And Lamb - Williams-Sonoma
Woman's Day Famous French Cookery - Hyla O'connor

This yummy recipe is so refreshing for a Summer lunch or dinner.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHICKEN CAESER ROLL-UPS

1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1 (10 count) package whole-wheat tortillas
1 (10 ounce) package cut up romaine lettuce
1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
3/4 cup reduced-fat Caesar salad dressing
dash of black pepper

Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Spray a large skillet with
cooking spray and sauté chicken breasts until cooked completely.
Microwave the tortillas (wrapped in a damp paper towel) about 1 minute.
Toss cooked chicken with remaining ingredients. Put 1/2 cup of the
mixture into the center of each tortilla and roll-up. Serves 5.

Now, anything that has garlic in it makes it one of my all-time
favorites. Here is a healthier version of a family favorite. Stir
frying uses very little fat and takes practically no time at all to
cook.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY GARLIC BEEF STIR FRY

1 pound beef eye of round cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
1 (10 ounce) package frozen Chinese pea pods
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons Lite soy sauce
dash of black pepper
4 cups cooked brown rice

Heat oil in a wok. Sauté all ingredients until meat is cooked and
veggies are crisp tender. Serve over cooked brown rice. Serves 4.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For tried and true recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 350 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:healthycuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group i am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident star of "just jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American cocker spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Me haz changed my email addy. Me waz getting too much spam mail at the
yahoo addy:

chelsea-@earthlink.net

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me Has A New Friend, Auntie Theresa, Who Has Some Neat Groups. Check
Them Out:

*Cuteandfunnyanimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did.to subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
cuteandfunnyani-@yahoogroups.com

*Grandparentsrus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
caring is sharing.
grandparentsr-@yahoogroups.com

*Justgarfield4u*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything i find with Garfield on it.
justgarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*Tacs Toonz And Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
tacs_toonz_and-@yahoogroups.com

PEANUT BUTTER DOG BISCUITS

1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup milk

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine wheat and soy flour and baking
powder in mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together peanut butter
and milk until well combined and smooth. Fold peanut butter-milk
mixture into dry ingredients and mix well to a soft dough. Turn out
dough onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly. Roll dough out to
3/8 - 1/4 inch thick; cut into pieces 1-2 inches square (depending on
dog's size). Place 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 15
minutes or until lightly browned. Store cooled biscuits in
refrigerator.

MACKEREL CAT MUNCHIES

1/2 cup canned mackerel, drained
1 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon brewer's yeast, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium-size bowl, mash the mackerel
with a fork into tiny pieces. Combine it with the remaining ingredients
and mix well. Drop mixture by 1/4 teaspoons onto a greased cookie
sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool to room temperature and store in an
airtight container in the refrigerator.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Old Fashioned Games To Play
http://oldfashionedliving.com/bgames.html

DLTK's Summer Crafts for Kids - Printable templates for summer crafts
for preschool, kindergarten and grade school kids.
www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/summer/

Kids Domain - Summer
www.kidsdomain.com/

Kids Summer Crafts - Joann.com - Summer craft projects, kits and
supplies from Kid's Camp. Craft kits for summer projects. If you're a
teacher, camp counselor or mom planning a group outing ...
www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=113235

Crafts for Kids: Summer Hat Refrigerator Magnets
www.make-stuff.com/kids/kitchen_magnets2.html

Crafts for Kids - Crafts for kids. Kindergarten, preschool, and
elementary school crafts. Make wonderful, simple crafts with things
found around the house.
www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/

Kids Art & exploration - Summer Fun for Kids
www.amazingmoms.com/

Kids - Craft ideas for kids from 4 to 11.
www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=kids

Special Collection: Summer Crafts
www.cantonpl.org/specialc/sumcraft.html

Summer Crafts And Summer Coloring For Kids
www.activityvillage.co.uk/summer_links.htm

Activity Village - Keeping Kids Busy with free coloring pages ...
www.activityvillage.co.uk/

Summer Crafts and Activities - Summer Recipe Links
www.creativeladiesministry.com/summerfun.html

End of the Year and Summer Activities for school and home
www.fvsd.ab.ca/stm/end_of_the_year_and_summer_activ.htm

Crafts, Science Experiments, Activities, Recipes, Coloring ...
www.nationalgeographic.com/kids/activities/

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:chelsea-@earthlink.net

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

"COOKING WITH BEACH BOY"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "cooking with beach
boy," formerly on about.com. When about.com discontinued their chats,
we found
A new home at yahoogroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
cookingbeachb-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

Here is a brand new group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am
co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Time Waster But Fun to Play
http://www.widro.com/throwpaper.html

Embellished Bobby Pins
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29437.asp

Flower Fairies
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_dolls/article/0,1789,HGTV_3242_2248412,00.html

Wool Apples Pattern
http://www.rusticprimitives.com/ApplesPattern.htm

Stamped Desk Accessories
http://ww4.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/16363.xml&catref=cat740028

Sand Frame
http://www.crafts4kids.com/projects/sand_frame.htm

Pray For Our Troops Pin
http://www.craftdesigns4you.com/freecsprayfortroops.htm

Patriotic Crafts for Kid's
http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/patriotic_crafts.html

Patriotic Decorations for Kid's to make
http://www.makingfriends.com/patriotic_decorations.htm#Patriotic%20Window%20Decorations

4th of July Flower Pot Votive Candleholder
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/candle4.html

Jellyfish Coffee Filter Craft
http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mjellyfish.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange.
A great place to share your favorite recipes and crafts, Gardening with
Gary,
household hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh Or Cry:

"Every Day"

Every day I need you Lord but this day especially,
I need some extra strength to face what ever is to be.
This day more than any day, I need to feel you near,
to fortify my courage and to overcome my fear.

By myself, I cannot meet the challenge of the hour,
there are times when humans help, but we need a higher power
To assist us bear what must be borne, and so dear Lord, I pray;
Hold on to my trembling hand and be near me today.

~Author Unknown~

"The Important Things in Life"

Sometimes people come into your life and you know right away that they
were meant to be there, to serve some sort of purpose, teach you a
lesson, or to help you figure out who you are or who you want to become.

You never know who these people may be - a roommate, a neighbor, a
professor, a friend, a lover, or even a complete stranger, but when you
lock eyes with them, you know at that very moment they will affect your
life in some profound way.

Sometimes things happen to you that may seem horrible, painful, and
unfair at first, but in reflection you find that without overcoming
those obstacles you would have never realized your potential, strength,
willpower, or heart.

Illness, injury, love, lost moments of true greatness, and sheer
stupidity all occur to test the limits of your soul. Without these
small tests, whatever they may be, life would be like a smoothly paved
straight flat road to nowhere. It would be safe and comfortable, but
dull and utterly pointless.

The people you meet who affect your life, and the success and downfalls
you experience, help to create who you are and who you become. Even the
bad experiences can be learned from. In fact, they are sometimes the
most important ones.

If someone loves you, give love back to them in whatever way you can,
not only because they love you, but because in a way, they are teaching
you to love and how to open your heart and eyes to things.

If someone hurts you, betrays you, or breaks your heart, forgive them,
for they have helped you learn about trust and the importance of being
cautious to whom you open your heart.

Make every day count. Appreciate every moment and take from those
moments everything that you possibly can for you may never be able to
experience it again. Talk to people that you have never talked to
before, and listen to what they have to say.

Let yourself fall in love, break free, and set your sights high. Hold
your head up because you have every right to. Tell yourself you are a
great individual and believe in yourself, for if you don't believe in
your self, it will be hard for others to believe in you.

You can make anything you wish of your life. Create your own life and
then go out and live it with absolutely no regrets. And if you love
someone tell them, for you never know what tomorrow may have in store.

~Author Unknown~

What do you call a hen that gets sunburned in Florida?
Southern fried chicken!

Why was the cat so small?
Because it only ate condensed milk!

What does the lion say to his friends before they go out hunting for
food?
Let us prey!

Why happened when the cat swallowed a coin?
There was some money in the kitty!

Why did Pilgrims' pants always fall down?
Because they wore their belt buckle on their hat!

What do cat actors say on stage?
Tabby or not tabby!

How do you know if your cat has eaten a duckling?
She's got that down in the mouth look!

What do you get if cross a cat with a canary?
Shredded tweet!

What do you get if you cross a cat with a tree?
A cat-a-logue!

Why did the cat join the Red Cross?
Because she wanted to be a first-aid kit!

Mailto:Justje-@Earthlink.Net
Here's My Joke Or Story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

JEANNE'S JELL-O JELLY

4 cups (1-3/4 pounds) granulated sugar or Splenda
3 cups water
1 box fruit pectin
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 small box Jell-O (any flavor) - regular or sugar-free

Measure sugar and set aside. Measure water into a large saucepan. Add
pectin and baking soda, and mix well. Place over high heat and stir
until mixture comes to a hard boil. Boil hard 1 minute. At once stir
in sugar, then Jell-O. Return to a full rolling boil and boil hard for
1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam with
metal spoon. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath
canner for 10 minutes. Makes 7 half-pints.

The combo of oranges and apricots makes this a heavenly treat slathered
on muffins or toast.

JEANNE'S APRICOT ORANGE BUTTER

8 cups coarsely chopped and pitted apricots
1 cup chopped, seeded, peeled orange
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1-1/2 cups water
6 cups sugar or Splenda
4 tablespoons lemon juice

Cook apricots and orange in water until tender. Press through a sieve
or food mill. Combine apricot and orange pulp, sugar (or Splenda) and
lemon juice in a large stockpot. Cook until thick enough to round up on
a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.
Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air
bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for
10 minutes. Yields: 6-7 half-pints.

JEANNE'S ALMOST V-8 JUICE

22 lbs ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 large sweet green bell pepper, chopped fine
2 large onions, chopped fine
3/4 cup diced raw carrots
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1-1/2 cups diced celery
2 bay leaves
12 fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3 teaspoons sugar or Splenda
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice

Place all ingredients, except lemon juice, in a large stockpot. Bring
to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes. All vegetables should be soft.
Press vegetables through a fine sieve or food mill. Return juice to pot
and bring to a boil.   Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head
space. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to each pint or 2 to each quart.
Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath
canner for 40 minutes for pints or 45 minutes for quarts. Yields about
14 pints or 7 quarts.

HOMEMADE PECTIN

You will need small, green, immature apples or crabapples. Gather these
in early summer to make your pectin. These apples make nice jelly stock
and give a tart flavor to your finished jellies. You may use damaged
apples, or apples that are not perfect if you cut away all the
imperfections first.

Wash the apples, trim the bad parts off and slice them very thinly.
Place them in a large stockpot and add 2 cups of water for each pound of
apples. Cover the pan and boil the contents for 15 minutes. Strain the
juice through one thickness of cheese cloth. Do not squeeze the pulp.
Save the juice. Put the pulp back into the pan and add the required
amount of water again. Cook the contents again for 15 minutes, but at a
lower temperature.. Strain the juices again through cheesecloth,
without squeezing the pulp. When the pulp cools, you can press some more
juice from it. Heat the stock to the boiling point. Ladle into
sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Cap
and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Notes:
[1] You can also tie the apple seeds in cheesecloth and add them too.
[2] You can use the pith and seeds of citrus fruits.
[3] You can use apple peels left over from canning apples and the
cores.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Liz, wrote:

Jeanne, we sure missed you and Chelsea last week. My little ones look
so forward to all the cool (their word) links Chelsea shares. Now that
they are home from school, it keeps them busy for hours and out of my
hair making so many neat projects. Your inspirational material keeps me
sane and I have copied several that I am cross-stitching on a sampler.
Thanks for all you do for so many folks. Hugs, Liz^^^

[thank you, Liz, for the nice note. Chelsea loves children and she and
I have fun checking out the links.]

^^^reader, Patti, wrote:

Jeanne, I love your weekly newsletter! There is always something in it
that makes me feel like I have known you as a friend for years. Your
healthy recipes are great and I have been trying them every week. Keep
up the good work. Love, Patti^^^

[thanks, Patti, for the compliments. I have made many Internet friends
through this newsletter too!!]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyrights (c) 2001 -
2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 122 (Monday, 6-20-05)<><><>