Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 123 - 7-11-05  justjeanne49
 Jul 10, 2005 12:05 PDT

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 123 (Monday, 7-11-05)<><><>

Welcome to volume 123 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

I am sorry we didn't publish last week. Good thing I decided not to try
and get a newsletter out. A hot water pipe in the laundry room decided
to commit suicide and I spent the entire weekend doing over thirty loads
of laundry. I had three lines of Winter clothing hung in the laundry
room which got soaked and the weight pulled down two of the three lines.
I also had bedding, bath and kitchen towels neatly folded in three huge
laundry baskets....all soaked completely. What a disaster!!

Please pray for the victims of Hurricane Dennis as well as for those
victims and their families of the terrorist bombings in London.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "JUST JEANNE" start publishing on august 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

"Peace on Earth"

Peace in the world....what a concept! People living their lives with
respect for the differences in cultures and customs. Freedom to live
our lives being the best we can be without fear of terrorism and hatred.
Wouldn't that be wonderful?

It wouldn't matter what color our skin is or how we worship our Creator.
Rich or poor, we'd share of our bounties with all humankind. Each of
us has been blessed with certain gifts and talents which need to be
shared with all.

Changing our world means each one of us has to begin to share of
ourselves with others....one small step at a time.   It won't happen
overnight but it can happen.

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me. We cannot sit
back and wait for someone else to start the ball rolling. Go
ahead.....do it!! Others will follow!!

Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne P. Maack

"The flame that burns the brightest is the light of the eternal human
spirit; a beacon of love, justice and peace that will never be
extinguished. It will triumph over the forces of darkness and
illuminate for the whole world. The true path to freedom through
goodness, hope and love."
~Author Unknown~

"Do all the good you can; by all the means you can; in all the ways you
can; in all the places you can; at all the times you can; to all the
people you can; as long as ever you can."
~John Wesley~

"Trouble creates a capacity to handle it."
~ Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes~

"Fear imprisons; faith liberates; fear paralyzes; faith empowers; fear
disheartens; faith encourages; fear sickens; faith heals; fear makes
useless; faith makes serviceable."
~Harry Emerson Fosdick~

"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite
hope."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

"Oh, my friend; it's not what they take away from you that counts; it's
what you do with what you have left."
~Hubert H. Humphrey~

"God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
Courage to change the things I can; and the Wisdom to know the
difference."
~Reinhold Niebuhr~

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of
today; let us move forward with strong and active faith."
~Franklin Delano Roosevelt~

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable
certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
~John F. Kennedy~

"Recipe for Hateful Soup"

1 cup of evilness
1 cup of madness
1 cup of hatred
1 cup of jealously

Boil for five minutes. When it boils it creates a mess. It creates
sick stomachs, horrible headaches, hurt hearts, and it is very hard to
clean up the mess it creates.

"In My Prayers"

As you make your way through a fog of tears,
a landslide of heartache and multiple fears,
I'll remember you in my prayers.

While God holds you safe in the palm of His hand
and sends His angels to help you stand,
I'll remember you in my prayers.

Each minute you long for peace and rest,
courageously fighting this willful test,
I'll remember you in my prayers.

When a ray of hope pierces the night
and your faith is renewed by the heavenly sight,
I'll drop to my knees and thank the Lord
for the grace of prayer and your spirit restored.

(c) 2001 Terri McPherson
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

"Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to
think."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

"Get out there and give real help! Get out there and love! Get out
there and testify! Get out there and create whatever you can to inspire
people to claim their divine being and origin. This is what has to be
done now. There is no time. There has never been any time for dallying
and being depressed."
~Mother Teresa~

"Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it
doesn't get you anywhere."
~Erma Bombeck~

"I have spent most of my time worrying about things that have never
happened."
~Mark Twain~

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge
us by what we have already done."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

"Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the
journey!"
~Barbara Hoffman~

"Life at any time can become difficult: life at any time can become
easy. It all depends upon how one adjusts oneself to life."
~Morarji Desai~

"Be nice and smile to everyone you meet. You don't know what they are
going through, and they may need that smile and treasure it."
~Christine M. Huppert~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe To "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents In This Issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Cheese Ball
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Avocado Pear Mousse
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Cucumber Mousse
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Chicken Casserole
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Ham Salad
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Chicken and Wild Rice Salad
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Ace's Favorite Cheesy Dog Biscuits
   Recipe:   Kitty Cat Cookies
Laugh Or Cry
"Putting Up" With Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Green Taco Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Blueberry Vinegar
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Grainy Mustard
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Pickled Eggplant
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including Chelsea's
Corner & "Putting Up" with Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our international readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new international readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
volume and weight, oven temperature, table for u.s. and metric,
conversion factors, British measurements, and British cooking
terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

Note:   I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because i created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

This is a healthier version of a favorite cheese ball recipe I enjoy
serving at parties. Serve with reduced-fat crackers or fresh veggies.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHEESE BALL

1/2 pound reduced-fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
2 tablespoons reduced grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 pound reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup almonds, toasted, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Place the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese and garlic in a
mixer bowl. Blend with the paddle attachment until well mixed.
Refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours. Roll in the almonds and parsley. Wrap in
plastic and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Every once in a while, we need a special treat, especially when we are
eating healthier.

JEANNE'S AVOCADO PEAR MOUSSE

2 very ripe avocados - peeled, seeded and chopped
2 very ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon grated orange rind
4 fresh mint leaves for garnish

Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Puree for about
1 minute or until smooth. Pour into individual parfait glasses. Chill
for at least one hour. Garnish with fresh mint leaves. Serves 4.

This healthier version of a favorite recipe of mine is delightful on a
hot Summer day.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CUCUMBER MOUSSE

1 envelope plain gelatin
3 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1 teaspoon grated onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 cup cucumber, pared, seeded, and chopped
1/2 cup Cool Whip Lite

Soak gelatin in water. Dissolve in a saucepan over heat. Add lemon or
lime juice, onion, salt, and paprika. Chill this mixture until almost
set.   Drain cucumbers well. Beat the gelatin mixture gradually into
the Lite Cool Whip. Fold in cucumbers. Fill a wet mold with mixture
and chill thoroughly. When set, invert onto a platter and garnish with
thinly sliced lemon or lime slices. Serves 4.

This is a variation on a favorite casserole recipe Mom used to make.
You could make this one in an electric roaster.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHICKEN CASSEROLE

1 pound instant brown rice
2 cans (10-1/4oz) Campbell's 98% fat-free Cream of Mushroom Soup plus 2
cans water
2 (4 ounce) cans slice mushrooms, drained
1 pound reduced fat Velveeta Cheese, cut into small one-inch cubes
1 pound frozen broccoli
3 tablespoons margarine
1 cup reduced fat grated Parmesan Cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pound turkey bacon cut into half-inch pieces
1 teaspoon French Tarragon (or your favorite herb)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine rice,
mushrooms, frozen broccoli, margarine, garlic, Parmesan cheese, Velveeta
cheese, tarragon (or your favorite herb) and black pepper. Cut turkey
bacon into half-inch pieces. Add to mixing bowl and stir well. In a
separate mixing bowl, whisk together two cans of cream of mushroom soup
with two cans cold water until smooth and creamy. Mix into rice mixture
until well-combined. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. Ladle
mixture into pan. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake at 350
degrees F for 25-30 minutes until rice is cooked. This freezes well and
recipe can be doubled.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade Refrigerator Magnets For Sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a caucasian or african american
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to us addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

Attention: all my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "just jeanne" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 550 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

Make A Mix Recipes
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
Or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great group of House Mouse fans for Incredimail
users. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her talented co-mods and
members:

G'day to all you great People of the World. We love the little rodent,
House Mousie. So we have a special group for them and their little
friends. Their friends are many; bunnies, raccoons, kitties, baby
animals, Hedgehog, etc. House Mousie is a rodent and any member of the
rodent family. Please come and join our friendly group. We all love to
chat, but please don't be rude or offensive to another member. We will
share mousies and their little friends' snags and graphics, and of
course some of us create stats and tags. Even if you don't create
that's fine, come for a chat or even just to snag. It doesn't matter;
we just want to make some great pals. Just like our House Mousies,
their relatives and their little friends who live as pals. NO ADULT
CONTENT IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. This is a family-oriented group, with
children looking to see our cute rodent stats. Hope we will see you
soon. Luv ya all.

Email to:
incredi-house-m-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is another free subscription to a very friendly group who shares
Incredimail stats and tags. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her
talented co-mods and members:

Welcome to Grannies Fun Time Group, and you don't have to be a granny to
be a member. I'm a granny and thought it would be fun to have a group
where we could send in country, western, pioneer, Native American,
Christian and USA country stats, snags, graphics, tags. NO NUDITY IN
YOUR SENDS IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. We will allow you to send in a
favorite stat, etc., as long as there is no nudity or adult content.
Daily participation is not a must but members should post at least once
a week, say a, Hi, or a, thank you for a stat. Roll Call will be
announced and I ask you to respond to it. We welcome humor and chit
chat, but please do not be rude or offensive to another member. Stat
and tag makers very welcome here, please try to make it theme related.
Thanks for coming to Grannies; we will keep it a fun and friendly group
for you.

GranniesFunTi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

GRANNY KNOWS BEST:

"A Dieter's Psalm"

Strict is my diet. I must not want.
It maketh me to lie down at night hungry.
It leadeth me past the confectioners.
It trieth my willpower.
It leadeth me in the paths of alteration for my figure's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the aisles of the pastry department, I will
buy no sweet rolls for they are fattening.
The cakes and the pies, they tempt me.
Before me is a table set with green beans and lettuce.
I filleth my stomach with liquids; my day's quota runneth over.
Surely calorie and weight charts will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the fear of scales forever.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY HAM SALAD

2 (5 oz) cans Hormel Ham
2 (4.25 oz) cans Underwood deviled ham
1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons pure horseradish
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Drain liquid from the two cans of Hormel ham. Chop ham into small bits.
Combine all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until
blended well. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Use as a sandwich
filling or serve as a dip with reduced-fat-crackers.

This is a delightful salad to serve on a Summer day. The natural
nuttiness of the wild rice and the freshness of the peaches makes it so
yummy.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SALAD

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 stalks celery, minced finely
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
2 cups cooked wild rice, allowed to cool
1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely minced
2 large peaches, peeled, seeded and chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Cut chicken breasts in half. Place between two sheets of plastic wrap
and pound with a mallet until thin. In a non-stick skillet, sauté
chicken breasts in extra virgin olive oil for 10 minutes, or until
thoroughly cooked. Allow to cool and cut into bite-sized pieces. In a
large mixing bowl, combine celery, sour cream, mayonnaise, cooked wild
rice, pecans, mint, salt and pepper. Fold in chopped peaches.
Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours before serving. Serves 4.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For tried and true recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 350 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:healthycuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group i am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident star of "just jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American cocker spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Me haz changed my email addy. Me waz getting too much spam mail at the
yahoo addy:

chelsea-@earthlink.net

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me Has A New Friend, Auntie Theresa, Who Has Some Neat Groups. Check
Them Out:

*Cuteandfunnyanimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did. To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
cuteandfunnyani-@yahoogroups.com

*Grandparentsrus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
caring is sharing.
grandparentsr-@yahoogroups.com

*Justgarfield4u*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
justgarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*Tacs Toonz And Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
tacs_toonz_and-@yahoogroups.com

ACE'S FAVORITE CHEESY DOG BISCUITS

1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1-1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/4 lb. corn oil margarine
1 clove garlic, crushed
milk

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cream the cheese with the softened
margarine, garlic, and flour. Add enough milk to form into a ball.
Chill for 1/2 hour. Roll onto floured board. Cut into shapes and bake
at 375 degrees F or 15 minutes or until slightly brown, and firm.
Makes 2 to 3 dozen, depending on size.

KITTY CAT COOKIES

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup soy flour
1 teaspoon catnip
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1/3 cup powdered milk
1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix dry ingredients together. Add
molasses, egg, oil and milk. Roll out flat onto oiled cookie sheet and
cut into small, cat bite-sized pieces. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool
and store in tightly sealed container.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Summer Fun for Kids - Craft of the Day
www.mormonchic.com/mommy/summer-crafts-for-kids.asp

Summer Crafts for Kids
www.soapdelicatessen.com/crafts/kids/summer/

Summer Craft Kit for Kids
www.familieswithpurpose.com/summercraftkit.html

Summer Crafts
www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/summer/

The Activity Cupboard
www.mothers-home.com/activities/sherri2.htm

Children's Summer Crafts
www.youthonline.ca/

A Kids Heart - A play and learn site with free resources for kids and
their teachers.
www.akidsheart.com/

Acting Up Theatre for Kids
www.cadl.org/events/sr05/kids_schedule05.htm

RaisingOurKids.com - Summer Crafts For Kids
www.raisingourkids.com/cms/index.php?page=articles&id=325

Summertime Crafts for Kids
www.mainstreetmom.com/craft/summer.htm

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:chelsea-@earthlink.net

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

"COOKING WITH BEACH BOY"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "cooking with beach
boy," formerly on about.com. When about.com discontinued their chats,
we found
A new home at yahoogroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
cookingbeachb-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is a group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to an Incredimail group for Christians from my friend,
Ann.

This is a small group for Christians to support and pray for each other,
and swap stats and graphics. Snaggers and Creators are welcome. This
is a group for adults who love the Lord and desire to love everyone
equally and lift each other up as we desire to fulfill the purpose He
has for us and to help others do the same. No judgments allowed, only
love for all people. No adult stats will be accepted. Please join this
warm group of people and chat with us about our everyday walk with the
Lord. A place to share without being judged.

Christian_Incredimai-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Trinket Ball
http://www.secondhandcrafts.com/may00/ball.html

Easy and Cheap Crafts!
http://www.planetshoup.com/index.shtml

Here's an on line course that's really helpful! Learn how to create
fabulous gifts and clothes right on the web.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art2256.asp

Create your own Cross Stitch Design
http://www.aokcorral.com/how2aug.htm

"Spool" Thread Box
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/cillcrochets/spool.html

Onion Sack
http://www.craftown.com/crochet/pat1.htm

Cupcake Pincushions
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/cillcrochets/cupcake.html

Canister Covers
http://www.craftown.com/crochet/pat53.htm

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange.
A great place to share your favorite recipes and crafts, Gardening with
Gary,
household hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh Or Cry:

"This Too Will Pass"

If I can endure for this minute, whatever is happening to me;
no matter how heavy my heart is or how dark the moment may be.
if I can remain calm and quiet with all the world crashing about me,
secure in the knowledge God loves me when everyone else seems to doubt
me.
If I can but keep on believing what I know in my heart to be true,
that darkness will fade with the morning and that "this will pass away,
too!"
then nothing in life can defeat me for as long as this knowledge
remains;
I can suffer whatever is happening for I know God will break all the
chains
that are binding me tight in "the darkness" and trying to fill me with
fear;
for there is "no night without dawning" and I know that "my morning" is
near.

~Helen Steiner Rice~

"Just For Today"

~*~Smile at a stranger.
~*~Listen to someone's heart.
~*~Drop a coin where a child can find it.
~*~Learn something new, then teach it to someone else.
~*~Tell someone you're thinking of them.
~*~Hug a loved one.
~*~Don't hold a grudge.
~*~Don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry."
~*~Look a child in the eye and tell them how great they are.
~*~Don't kill that spider in your house; he's just lost, so show him the
way out.
~*~Look beyond the face of a person into their heart.
~*~Make a promise, and keep it.
~*~Call someone, for no other reason than to just say "Hi."
~*~Show kindness to an animal.
~*~Stand up for what you believe in.
~*~Smell the rain, feel the breeze, listen to the wind, enjoy the sun.
~*~Use all your senses to their fullest.
~*~Cherish all your TODAYS!

~Author Unknown~

What does a baby computer call his father?
Data!

How do Priests travel?
By holy-copter!

What do you call a funny book about eggs?
A yolk book!

Who did Frankenstein take to the prom?
His ghoul friend!

Why did the fish stop smoking?
She didn't want to get hooked!

What sound does a chicken crossed with a cow make?
Cock-a-doodle-moo!

Why is it so hard to fool a snake?
Because you can't pull its leg!

What did the dog do after he swallowed a firefly?
He barked with de-light!

Did you hear about the caterpillar's stress attack?
He totally bugged out!

What kind of horse makes you wake up scared?
A nightmare!

Where do dogs buy their underwear?
At the K-9 Mart!

Why do cows have bells?
Their horns don't work!

Why did the chocolate milk win the race?
It was Quik!

Mailto:Justje-@Earthlink.Net
Here's My Joke Or Story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 750
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

JEANNE'S GREEN TACO SAUCE

2 lbs tomatillos (Mexican green tomatoes)
4 jalapeno peppers
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped shallots
4 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cups fresh cilantro
1 quart chicken broth
2 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Remove the husks from the tomatillos. Rinse them in cool water. Remove
stem and quarter. Drop them in boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
Drain. Remove the stem and seeds from the jalapeno peppers. Roughly
chop them. Add the tomatillos, onion, garlic and cilantro to a food
processor (roughly in two to three batches). Pulse until a coarse sauce
is obtained. Heat the olive oil in a stockpot. Add the mixture and
cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth, wine vinegar
and honey. Stir well. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened (about 20
to 25 minutes). Ladle into sterilized jars. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process at 10 pounds pressure in a pressure canner for 20 minutes.
Yields: 6 to 6-1/2 pints.

This is absolutely delightful when mixed with extra virgin olive oil and
used as a vinaigrette on a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, fresh basil,
scallions and a handful of blueberries. The color of this vinegar is
very pretty; sort of a purplish blue.

JEANNE'S BLUEBERRY VINEGAR

3 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups rice vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 cinnamon sticks, about two inches each
4 whole allspice berries

In a stainless-steel or enamel saucepan combine 1-1/2 cups of the
blueberries with rice vinegar, cinnamon sticks and allspice berries.
Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Stir in
honey. Remove from heat. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and
let it drain into a bowl. Discard blueberries. Sterilize two quart
Mason jars. Divide remaining 1-1/2 cup blueberries evenly between two
jars. Add 1 cinnamon stick and 2 whole allspice berries to each jar.
Ladle half of the vinegar into each jar. Remove air bubbles. Wipe
rims. Cap and seal. Let sit in a cool place for 2-3 weeks. Strain
through a colander lined with cheesecloth twice and discard berries and
spices before using. Makes about two quarts.

JEANNE'S GRAINY MUSTARD

3/4 cup yellow mustard powder
1/2 cup mustard seeds
1/4 cup very cold water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced shallots
4 tablespoons minced garlic
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons granulated sugar or Splenda
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
4 whole juniper berries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons pickling salt

In a saucepan combine vinegar, wine, onion, shallots, garlic, bay
leaves, peppercorns, and juniper berries and bring mixture to a simmer
over medium heat. Simmer mixture until reduced by two thirds. Strain
mixture, cover and chill. In a bowl stir together mustard powder,
mustard seeds and water to make a paste. Stir the chilled vinegar into
the mustard paste. Add the lemon juice, salt and sugar and stir to
combine. Let mixture stand for at least 20 minutes. Transfer the
mustard mixture to a saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat and cook
for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Ladle into
sterilized jars. Wipe rims. Cap and seal refrigerate for at least a
month before using. Mustard has a shelf life of about 6 weeks after
opening. Yields 2 pints.

This is an unusual pickle that makes a yummy side dish. The addition of
the fresh dill weed really perks up the blandness of the eggplant. You
can make it healthier by using Splenda instead of the honey.

JEANNE'S PICKLED EGGPLANT

6 eggplants, peeled and cut into thick sticks 2 inches long
2 medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped.
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
4 springs fresh dill weed, chopped
1 stick cinnamon (1 inch long)
3-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup honey or Splenda
1 cup water

Boil eggplants and onions in water for 5 minutes, drain and plunge into
ice water and drain again. Place allspice, cinnamon and peppercorns in
spice bag( in cheesecloth or tea ball) and cook with vinegar, honey or
Splenda and water to boiling. Simmer until syrup is thick. Add
eggplant, dill weed and onions and heat through. Remove spice bag and
ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air
bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in water bath for 15
minutes. Makes 5 to 6 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Lana, wrote:

Jeanne and Chelsea....we certainly missed you the last two weeks but we
understand that you two need a break now and then. I am looking for a
canning recipe for pickled eggplant. My late Great-Aunt used to make
this every year and the recipe is lost now that she has passed on. Do
you have a tried and true recipe? Hugs, Lana^^^

[Lana, I am sharing my pickled eggplant in the canning recipes today.
Hope this is just the one you remember.]

^^^readers, Helen and Buffy, wrote:

Hello Jeanne and the absolutely adorable little Chelsea. My cocker
spaniel, Buffy, says "woof woof" to Chelsea and insisted I write to
thank her for all the yummy doggy recipes. She looks forward to reading
Chelsea's column every week and then sits very impatiently while I bake
the new goodies for her. Thanks for all you do for us and the critters.
Love, Helen and Buffy^^^

[Thank you Helen and Buffy from both Chelsea and me.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyrights (c) 2001 -
2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

<><><> "JUST JEANNE" Volume 123 (Monday, 7-11-05)<><><>