Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 124 - 7-25-05  justjeanne49
 Jul 24, 2005 09:38 PDT

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 124 (Monday, 7-25-05)<><><>

Welcome to volume 124 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Sorry that we couldn't publish last week. My email program went crazy
and some 500 messages came in totally blank. It took me a day and
one-half to figure out the problem and get it resolved. Weather here in
Lockport, Illinois, is hot and steamy and they are predicting
temperatures of 100 degrees plus with high humidity for the next few
days. We need rain badly as our lawns are getting brown. Last
Christmas, my brother gifted me with an 18 quart electric roaster oven.
It really is coming in very handy as I can still cook favorite dishes
without having to heat the whole house using my regular oven.

Please say a special prayer or two for our London friends who have had
their second bombings in two weeks.

Thanks to Ms. Ellie, who has been a "JJ" subscriber since the beginning
for the suggestion that I add the "Food for Thought" title to the
quotes. Neat idea, Ms. Ellie.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "JUST JEANNE" start publishing on august 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

"Walk Beneath The Rainbow"

Walk beneath the rainbow; see how far you'll go.
Searching for the message; helping you to grow.

It's a reminder of the promise God gave us in the past;
That our future home is with Him and our happiness will last.

Contemplate its colors glistening in its arc;
Brightening up our world; lighting up our dark.

See the special vision waiting just for you;
God's golden plan of glory coming into view.

Don't let your fears prevent you from reaching out to Him;
Pursue the unknown future before the arc grows dim.

Create a plan of action beneath the prism's bow;
Don't wait until tomorrow; the time to start is now.

Discover new horizons just beyond your glance;
Take advantage of the moment; you only have one chance.

For rainbows come so rarely; they don't happen every day;
Enjoy it's beauty while you can; Love came for you today.

Copyrights (c) 1980, 2001, 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"Great results cannot be achieved at once, and we must be satisfied to
advance in life as we walk-step by step. "
~Samuel Smiles~

"If you want a place in the sun, you have to expect some blisters."
~Author Unknown~

"Our valleys may be filled with foes and tears; but we can lift our eyes
to the hills to see God and the angels, Heaven's spectators, who support
us according to God's infinite wisdom as they prepare our welcome home."
~Billy Graham

"To show a child what once delighted you, to find the child's delight
added to your own' this is happiness."
~J. B. Priestley~

"Even when we cannot see the why and wherefore of God's dealings, we
know that there is love in and behind them, and so we can rejoice
always."
~J. I. Packer~

~Albert Einstein~

"A Survival Kit For Everyday Life"

TOOTHPICK: Remind you to pick the good qualities in everyone, including
yourself.

RUBBER-BAND: To remind you to be flexible. Things might not always go
the way you want, but it can be worked out.

BAND-AID: To remind you to heal hurt feelings, either yours or someone
else's.

ERASER: To remind you everyone makes mistakes. That's okay, we learn
from our mistakes.

MINT: To remind you that you are worth a mint to your family.

BUBBLE GUM: To remind you to stick with it and you can accomplish
anything.

PENCIL: To remind you to list your blessings every day.

TEA BAG: To remind you to take time to relax daily and go over that
list of blessings.

~Author Unknown~

"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your
dog would go in."
~Mark Twain~

"When inspiration does not come to me, I go halfway to meet it."
~Sigmund Freud~

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt~

"How To Be Unhappy"

It's not that we want to be unhappy, but don't we do a lot of these
things? This is a good thing to read and reread; behaviors to avoid!
Make little things bother you. Don't just let them; make them. Lose
your perspective on things and keep it lost. Don't put first things
first. Get yourself a good worry, one about which you cannot do
anything. Be a perfectionist, which means not that you work hard to do
your best, but that you condemn yourself and others for not achieving
perfection. Be right. Be always right. Be the only one who is always
right, and be rigid in your rightness. Don't trust or believe people,
or accept them at anything but their worst and weakest. Be suspicious.
Insist that others always have hidden motives. Always compare yourself
unfavorably to others. This guarantees instant misery. Take personally
everything that happens to you. Don't give yourself whole-heartedly to
anyone or anything.

~ Author Unknown~

"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you
are doing the impossible."
~Saint Francis of Assissi~

"Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates
profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love."
~Lao-Tzu~

Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited
while imagination embraces the entire world."
~Albert Einstein~

"Wonderful, comforting thought: We and He are supernaturally interwoven
and
inseparable. Wherever you or I go, He goes. Whatever we think, He
knows."
~Charles R. Swindoll~

"God is the friend of silence. Trees, flowers, grass grow in silence.
See the stars, moon, and sun how they move in silence."
~Mother Teresa~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe To "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents In This Issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Dijon Green Beans
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Zucchini Parmesana
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Italian Beefy Rice
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Fruity Rice
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Mocha Mousse
   Recipe: Powdered Sugar Replacement
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Bread Machine Dog Cookies
   Recipe:   Yum Yum's For Older Kitties
Laugh Or Cry
"Putting Up" With Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Mushroom Ketchup (Sauce)
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Double Mushroom Ketchup (Sauce)
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Lavender Jelly
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Lemon Marjoram Jelly
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including Chelsea's
Corner & "Putting Up" with Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our international readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new international readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
volume and weight, oven temperature, table for u.s. and metric,
conversion factors, British measurements, and British cooking
terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

Note:   I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because i created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

This is a take off on my Grandma's pork neck bones and sauerkraut soup.
The turkey bacon adds just the right amount of smokiness. Because it is
so hot this week, I have made it in my electric roaster.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY PORK CHOPS & SAUERKRAUT

8 medium pork chopped, trimmed of fat
2 (27 ounce) cans sauerkraut with juice
1-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 quart low-fat chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 (6 ounce) package turkey bacon, cut into small bits
1 tablespoon margarine
3 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray roasting pan with cooking spray.
Layer pork chops and bacon. Combine sauerkraut with caraway seeds,
black pepper and chicken broth. Pour over pork chops. Bake at 350
degrees F for 50 minutes. In a small pan, melt margarine and whisk in
flour. Cook until light brown, whisking constantly over low heat. With
a soup ladle, remove about one ladle of the juice in the roaster. Whisk
into margarine and flour mixture until smooth. Mix in slowly to pork
chops and sauerkraut. Cook another 10-15 minutes. Serves 4 to 6. This
can also be cooked in an electric roaster.

This is a yummy but healthy side dish. The turkey bacon adds just the
right amount of smokiness.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY DIJON GREEN BEANS

4 teaspoons margarine
4 teaspoons whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup skim milk
4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
4 slices turkey bacon, cut into small pieces and cooked
6 cups cooked green beans

Cook fresh green beans in lightly salted water. Drain and set aside.
Keep warm. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt margarine over medium-high
heat, add flour stir quickly to combine, and gradually add milk. Reduce
heat to low and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 4 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients except green beans. In serving bowl
arrange green beans, add sour cream mixture and stir to coat. Serves 4.

This is very yummy and quick to prepare. It makes a nice side dish for
meat, poultry or fish.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY ZUCCHINI PARMESANA

1 pound zucchini, cut into1/4-inch thick slices
1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions (green onions)

Spray a 12-inch nonstick skillet pan with cooking spray. Combine
zucchini, chicken broth, mushrooms, garlic and lemon pepper seasoning.
Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Gently
fold in grated Parmesan cheese and scallions. Cover and let sit for 2-3
minutes. Serve hot. Makes 4-5 servings.

Here is an alternative to an Italian pasta dish. Serve this with a nice
mixed salad.

JEANNE HEALTHY ITALIAN BEEFY RICE

1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained)
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 quart pasta sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 cups boiling water
3 cups instant brown rice
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese

Sauté ground beef or turkey, onions, garlic, and mushrooms in extra
virgin olive oil until meat is browned. Drain in a colander to remove
excess fat. Rinse out pot and bring water to a boil. Return cooked
meat, onions and mushrooms to pot. Add uncooked rice, pasta sauce, and
Italian seasoning. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit 5-8 minutes
until rice is cooked. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top. Serve
hot. Serves 4.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade Refrigerator Magnets For Sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a caucasian or african american
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to us addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

Attention: all my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 645 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

Make A Mix Recipes
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
Or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great group of House Mouse fans for Incredimail
users. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her talented co-mods and
members:

G'day to all you great People of the World. We love the little rodent,
House Mousie. So we have a special group for them and their little
friends. Their friends are many; bunnies, raccoons, kitties, baby
animals, Hedgehog, etc. House Mousie is a rodent and any member of the
rodent family. Please come and join our friendly group. We all love to
chat, but please don't be rude or offensive to another member. We will
share mousies and their little friends' snags and graphics, and of
course some of us create stats and tags. Even if you don't create
that's fine, come for a chat or even just to snag. It doesn't matter;
we just want to make some great pals. Just like our House Mousies,
their relatives and their little friends who live as pals. NO ADULT
CONTENT IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. This is a family-oriented group, with
children looking to see our cute rodent stats. Hope we will see you
soon. Luv ya all.

Email to:
incredi-house-m-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is another free subscription to a very friendly group who shares
Incredimail stats and tags. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her
talented co-mods and members:

Welcome to Grannies Fun Time Group, and you don't have to be a granny to
be a member. I'm a granny and thought it would be fun to have a group
where we could send in country, western, pioneer, Native American,
Christian and USA country stats, snags, graphics, tags. NO NUDITY IN
YOUR SENDS IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. We will allow you to send in a
favorite stat, etc., as long as there is no nudity or adult content.
Daily participation is not a must but members should post at least once
a week, say a, Hi, or a, thank you for a stat. Roll Call will be
announced and I ask you to respond to it. We welcome humor and chit
chat, but please do not be rude or offensive to another member. Stat
and tag makers very welcome here, please try to make it theme related.
Thanks for coming to Grannies; we will keep it a fun and friendly group
for you.

GranniesFunTi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

GRANNY KNOWS BEST:

"Over-Active What?"

"Now, what are you planning to do about that excess weight you're
carrying around?" the doctor asked the old professor.

"I just can't seem to lose the weight," the old professor said. "Must
be an overactive thyroid."

"The tests show your thyroid is perfectly normal," the doctor said. "If
anything is overactive, it's your fork."

How Do I Cut And Eat A Mango?

Don't expect perfect wedges. Cut around the stone, using two straight
cuts down the length of the mango on opposite sides. Once you have cut
those off, you can cut off the other sides. Slice the meat down toward
the skin, but leave the skin intact. Once that's done, turn the piece
of mango inside out (so the meat is poking outward and the skin is
poking in) and cut along the skin to release the meat. Usually I do
this with mango chunks, cutting across and down the mango instead of
just down. OR: Make a circular cut around the equator of the mango,
stopping at the stone. Twist the two halves apart with your hands.
Scoop and eat the stone-less half with a small spoon. Remove the stone
with a knife; then eat the flesh like the first half. No mess at all!

Before And After Cooking Measurements

Macaroni: 1 cup dry 2 cups cooked
Noodles: 3 cups dry 3 cups cooked
Quick cooking oats: 1 cup dry 1-3/4 cups cooked
Rice, long grain: 1 cup dry 3 cups cooked
Rice, instant: 1 cup dry 2 cups cooked
Spaghetti: 8 oz dry 4 cups cooked
Dried beans: 1 cup dry 2-1/4 cups cooked

Here is a really yummy and quick to prepare healthy dessert. You can
substitute any variety of dried fruit that you like such as dried
cranberries, cherries, blueberries or what have you.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRUITY RICE

1/16 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 ounces uncooked regular brown rice
1-1/2 cups cold water
3 large dried figs, diced
6 dried apricot halves, diced
1/2 cup golden yellow raisins
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel

In a 2-quart saucepan combine 1-1/2 cups water and salt and cook over
high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Add rice and stir to combine.
Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer until rice is tender and liquid
is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and
stir to combine. Cover and cook until liquid is fully absorbed and
frits are plumped, 2 to 3 minutes. Makes 4 servings. This can be
served hot or cold.

Yes, you can have yummy desserts while on a healthy eating plan. Here
is a favorite of mine.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY MOCHA MOUSSE

2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon hot water
2 (8 ounce) packages reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Hershey's Lite chocolate syrup
1 (8 ounce) container Lite Cool Whip, softened
2 tablespoons powdered sugar replacement

Dissolve instant coffee in hot water. Using a hand-held electric mixer,
beat dissolved coffee, cream cheese, and chocolate syrup until smooth
and creamy. Fold in Cool Whip and powdered sugar replacement (recipe
below). Chill in refrigerator for 3-4 hours. Makes 6-8 servings.

POWDERED SUGAR REPLACEMENT

2 cups non-fat dry milk powder
1 cup Splenda
2 cups cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Process until
well blended and powdered. Transfer to airtight container. Yield: 4
cups

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For tried and true recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 385 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:healthycuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group I am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident star of "just jeanne". Me is 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American cocker spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Me haz changed my email addy. Me waz getting too much spam mail at the
yahoo addy:

chelsea-@earthlink.net

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me Has A New Friend, Auntie Theresa, Who Has Some Neat Groups. Check
Them Out:

*Cuteandfunnyanimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did. To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
cuteandfunnyani-@yahoogroups.com

*Grandparentsrus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
caring is sharing.
grandparentsr-@yahoogroups.com

*Justgarfield4u*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
justgarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*Tacs Toonz And Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
tacs_toonz_and-@yahoogroups.com

BREAD MACHINE DOG COOKIES

1 cup beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
1 cup bread or all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat or rye (or other dark) flour
1 cup bulgar wheat
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. Use dough cycle in your bread machine.
Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shape(s) with
cookie cutters or knife. Place on baking sheets sprinkled with
cornmeal. Cover with clean kitchen towels and let rise in warm place
about 45 minutes. Bake at 325-degrees F for 45 minutes. When all are
baked, turn off oven and return all cookies to cooling oven overnight to
harden. Store in airtight container. Makes 30 to 35 cookies, depending
on size of cutter.

YUM YUM'S FOR OLDER KITTY

1 bullion cube
left over chicken - boned and shredded
grated cheese
1/2 cup water

Pour 1/2 cup warm water over bullion cube and stir to dissolve. Add
shredded chicken to water mixture just enough to form soupy consistency.
Sprinkle with grated cheese.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

I Love Dogs
http://www.i-love-dogs.com/breeds.html

Lots of Cat Stuff
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/catstuff.htm

Very large collection of primary lessons all areas
http://www.reacheverychild.com

Reeko's Mad Scientist Lab - Educational Science Experiments
http://www.spartechsoftware.com/reeko/

Printable Shoe Sizer
http://www.kidsnshoes.com/kidsnfeet.htm

KIDS Balloon STUFF: Free Balloon Animal Instructions
http://www.mbd2.com/kidsstuff.htm

Art Smock - Paint Shirt - The Little Artist
http://www.thelittleartist.com/PaintingPages.html

Seussville Gift Tags
http://www.seussville.com/titles/grinch/tags.html

Baby Tooth Chart: Wyeth Consumer Healthcare
http://www.anbesol.com/teething/chart.asp

3-D Fruit Craft - EnchantedLearning.com
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/plants/fruit/

Warner Brothers Online
http://www2.warnerbros.com/main/sitemap/sitemap.html

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:chelsea-@earthlink.net

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

"COOKING WITH BEACH BOY"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "cooking with beach
boy," formerly on about.com. When about.com discontinued their chats,
we found
A new home at yahoogroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
cookingbeachb-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is a group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

Free Craft Ideas, Craft Projects, Craft Patterns and Craft Book
www.mycraftbook.com/

Free craft projects and patterns to make easy homemade gifts. Photos and
full illustrations included.
www.allfreecrafts.com/

Arts and crafts activities and free projects for summer and holidays.
www.creativity-portal.com/

Summer Craft Ideas
www.freekidcrafts.com/summer.html

Summer Crafting Projects
www.kbcrafts.com/

Free Craft Ideas, Craft Projects, Craft Patterns and Craft Book ...
www.mycraftbook.com/default.asp

Summer Flower Potpourri Bags
www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/1396

The Activity Cupboard
www.mothers-home.com/activities/sherri2.htm

Kids 'N' Fun Crafts Summer Kit
www.mm.com/kidsnfun/smrkit.htm

Ocean Crafts - EnchantedLearning.com
www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/ocean/

Summer Craft Fun Art and craft
www.creativity-portal.com/

Extra Summer Projects for Kids
www.creativekidsathome.com/summerkidsactivities.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange.
A great place to share your favorite recipes and crafts, Gardening with
Gary,
household hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh Or Cry:

"Someone Once Asked Me"

Someone asked me once about people online.
Don't I find it silly to call them friends of mine?
I pondered the thought for a little while
and slung 'em a story with a huge smile.

I wake up in the mornin, I'll tell ya what I do.
I race to my computer to check my mail, it's perfectly true!
I open each and everyone and reply with tender care;
maybe just a a line or two to let 'em know I'm there!

I have seen strange things, been so many places,
have even seen a few of their online faces!
It doesn't matter beans to me that they are far away.
Meetin' them has surely brightened up my day!

We've shared a morning coffee and at times we've shed a tear.
We've been there for each other; even played cards and drank a beer!

They are just as real to me as you are standing there.
They are always here for me with lots of love and care.
One thing online has taught me; something I'll never forget.
There's a lot of great people out there on the net!

How can you be friends with someone you've never met?
I'll smile and tell them, "You've never been online I bet!"
So you can find me silly if that's what ya wanna do,
but I care for them every bit as much as I care for you!

~Author Unknown~

"If God Should Go On Strike"

How good it is that God above has never gone on strike,
because He was not treated fair in things He didn't like.
If only once He'd given up and said, "That's it, I'm through,
I've had enough of thee on earth, so this is what I'll do.
I'll give my orders to the sun, cut off the heat supply,
and to the moon give no more light and run the oceans dry.
Then just to make things really tough and put the pressure on,
turn off the vital oxygen till every breath is gone."
You know that He would be justified, if fairness were the game.
for no one has been more abused or met with more disdain
Than God, and yet He carries on, supplying you and me
with all the favors of His grace, and everything for free.
Folks say they want a better deal, and so on strike they go,
but what a deal we've given God to whom all things we owe.
We don't care who we hurt to gain the things we like,
but what a mess we'd all be in if God should go on strike.

~Author Unknown~

Why did the vampire go to the orthodontist?
To improve his bite!

What do you get when you cross a vampire and a snowman?
Frostbite!

How do witches keep their hair in place while flying?
With scare spray!

Do zombies eat popcorn with their fingers?
No, they eat the fingers separately!

Why don't skeletons ever go out on the town?
Because they don't have any body to go out with!

What do ghosts add to their morning cereal?
Booberries!

What is a vampire's favorite sport?
Casketball!

What is a vampire's favorite holiday?
Fangsgiving!

What would a monster's psychiatrist be called?
Shrinkenstein!

What did one ghost say to the other ghost?
"Do you believe in people?"

What do you call someone who puts poison in a person's corn flakes?
A cereal killer!

Why do mummies have trouble keeping friends?
They're so wrapped up in themselves!

What kind of streets do zombies like the best?
Dead ends!

Mailto:Justje-@Earthlink.Net
Here's My Joke Or Story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 865
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

If you love mushrooms as much as I do, make these two ketchups, which is
what they used to call them, and keep them on hand for perking up soups,
stews, casseroles and gravies.

JEANNE'S MUSHROOM KETCHUP (SAUCE)

4 lbs fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup canning salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons brandy

In a large stockpot, alternately layer mushrooms and salt until all are
used. Cover. Every day for three days, stir mixture well, mashing it
down with a potato masher which allows the juices to be extracted.
After three days, strain the juices into a pan and allow to boil for 15
minutes. Then add the spices. Boil another 20 minutes. Ladle into
sterilized jars. Stir in a few drops of good brandy in each jar. Cap
and seal jars. Process for 10 minutes in a water bath canner.

JEANNE'S DOUBLE MUSHROOM KETCHUP (SAUCE)

4 lbs fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup canning salt
2-1/2 cups mushroom sauce (above recipe)
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon ground ginger

In a large stockpot, alternately layer mushrooms and salt until all are
used. Pour the 2-1/2 cups previously made mushroom sauce and stir well.
Cover. Every day for three days, stir mixture well, mashing it down
with a potato masher which allows the juices to be extracted. After
three days, strain the juices into a pan and allow to boil for 15
minutes with the peppercorns and ground ginger. Ladle into sterilized
jars. Cap and seal jars. Process for 10 minutes in a water bath
canner.

This is a delightful jelly to serve over vanilla ice cream or on top of
plain pound cake. Decorate with a sprig of fresh lavender.

JEANNE'S LAVENDER JELLY

1/2 cup fresh lavender flowers (3 tablespoons dried flowers)
2-1/2 cups cold water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
1 3 oz envelope of liquid pectin
Lavender food coloring (2 drops red 2 drops blue)

Bring water to boil and pour over flowers. Steep for 20 minutes.
Strain. Combine infusion, lemon juice and sugar. Bring to full boil
stirring constantly. Add pectin, boil hard 1 minute, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat and add food coloring. Ladle into
sterilized jars. Wipe rim. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath
canner 10 minutes. Yields 4 to 5 pints.

This is delightful served with meats. The lemon and marjoram marry well
to produce a fresh flavor.

JEANNE'S LEMON MARJORAM JELLY

2 cups bottled or fresh lemon juice
4 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
12 sprigs fresh marjoram (about 2 to 3 inches long) or 2 tablespoons
dried
1 package liquid pectin
few drops yellow food coloring

Put lemon juice and marjoram into a large stockpot. . Simmer on medium
heat for 20 minutes. Strain and discard marjoram. Measure juice; add
more lemon juice if necessary to make 2 cups. Add sugar and bring to a
full rolling boil. Remove from heat and add food coloring and pectin.
Bring to a full rolling boil again and boil 1 minute. Ladle into
sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Yields 5 to 6
half-pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Janice, wrote:

Jeanne, we (that is, myself and Grumps, my boxer) love your zine. When
you and Chelsea "play hooky", we miss you so much but we understand how
chaotic life can be at times. Many of the dog recipes Chelsea shares
calls for whole-wheat flour. Is there a reason for that? Thanks for
all you do. Hugs, Janice and Grumps^^^

[Janice and Grumps, thanks for writing. The recipes Chelsea shares are
taken from many different sources. However, I believe that whole-wheat
flours are healthier than white refined flour and that is why so many of
the critter recipes calls for whole-wheat.]

^^^reader, Cathy, wrote:

Hello Jeanne. A long while ago you shared a canning recipe for a
mushroom sauce. I made it and it was delicious. I want to put some
more up and I cannot find the recipe. I know you had to let the
mushrooms sit for a few days. If you still have the recipe, would you
please resend it? Thanks. Love, Cathy^^^

[Cathy, yes, I have two mushroom sauce recipes and they are in the
canning section above. I make these and keep them on hand because I
really love the flavor of these.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyrights (c) 2001 -
2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 124 (Monday, 7-25-05)<><><>