Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Anniversary - Volume 125 - 8-08-05  justjeanne49
 Aug 07, 2005 15:57 PDT

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 125 (Monday, 8-08-05)<><><>

Welcome to volume 125 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Believe it or not, we are celebrating an anniversary. "Just Jeanne"
began on August 6, 2001, with a small handful of subscribers and a
publisher who hadn't a single clue what she was doing. We have grown
considerably and the issues have gotten longer every week. Thank you
for all the support over the years and both Chelsea and I look forward
to continuing our newsletter for a long time to come.

Last week, my cousin and I attended a special performance of the
surviving singer of the Temptations and his new group. Richard Street
has been performing for 49 years and for a guy his age, he still has it.
The group was fantastic and did all the top Temptation hits. After the
show, we got to meet the guys up close and personal and got all their
autographs. These guys may be stars but they are really nice folks to
talk to. The best thing was that it cost us nothing......a special
freebie from Harrahs.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "JUST JEANNE" start publishing on august 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

"Angels Welcome Here"

To my friends both far and near,
angels welcome here.
A place to love and share,
with folks who really care.
Need a smile, fancy a prayer?
Ask, my friend, we will be there!

We come from places the whole world wide,
lurkers are welcome but please do not hide.
We share this and that,
join in the chit-chat.

Hugs a plenty, they are free.
If you stay for a while, you will see.
We are not just a group,
we are a "family"!!

Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each one of us
can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all
those acts will be written the history of this generation."
~Robert F. Kennedy~

"I will make love my greatest weapon and none on who I call can defend
against its force. My love will melt all hearts liken to the sun whose
rays soften the coldest day."
~Og Mandino~

"Don't bother about genius. Don't worry about being clever. Trust to
hard work, perseverance and determination."
~Sir Frederick Treves~

"Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how
to laugh either."
~Golda Meir~

"Life is just a mirror, and what you see out there, you must first see
inside of you."
~Wally "Famous" Amos~

"Cherish your own emotions and never undervalue them."
~Robert Henri~

"Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't do this or that.
That's nonsense. Make up your mind, you'll never use crutches or a
stick, then have a go at everything. Go to school, join in all the
games you can. Go anywhere you want to but never, never let them
persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible."
~Sir Douglas Bader~

"All big things in this world are done by people who are naive and have
an idea that is obviously impossible."
~Frank Richards~

"In The Meadow"

Surrounded by thousands of yellow daisies lifting their hearts to the
sun, I run barefoot through the meadow, alone but yet, not. There is a
feeling I have deep within that although no human being is nearby, the
life of nature gives me company to share the day with. His creation is
so very alive and moves securely guided by His all-knowing hand. The
gentle sun has just awakened and is warming my arrival into the meadow.
The only sound breaking though the quiet stillness is the harmony of the
birds circling overhead.

The air is fragrant with the clean smell of the green grass beneath my
feet. I feel as if I can run all day. I cannot, so I find a grassy
knoll in which to lie down. This period of rest allows me the time to
reflect upon the marvels of life around me. No one attends to the needs
of this secluded spot but it is self-sufficient, relying only on the
Lord to keep His knowing eye on its' requirements. I feel I tend to
forget my dependence upon Him while I take pride in my independent
nature. The sights of the meadow in which I am resting reminds me of
this fact.

I hear a voice telling me I must move on. I can no longer linger in
this place. The voice is very angry. It is the voice of my own
sinfulness and I flee as fast as I can. The scenery has changed
drastically and it is hot and arid. The sand below my feet is burning,
scorching my toes. My lungs are working overtime breathing in the hot
air. The solitude of the meadow is replaced with the terror of being
alone. There is so much emptiness here in this desert of desolation.
My throat is so dry and I long for just a drop of cool water. Yet, none
is to be found. The cactus plants seem to be figures of starkness just
lurking in the shadows to reach out and get me.

Why am I here? I never asked to come to this place. I have to get out
but I seem to be running in circles. I have no way of knowing which way
to go. Everything looks the same. I have no sense of direction. I cry
out again and again, "Does anyone hear me?" I then break down and
begin to cry, ashamed of what I have done. In my desperation, I forgot
why I am here; why I have to bear this unbearable existence. I slowly
begin to accept my responsibility and fate, and begin to pray for
strength and guidance. It seems that in the terror of my soul, I forgot
how much I needed His help. I ask Him to comfort and guide me.

Suddenly, I see a pathway. I take it and it begins to get cooler.
There is an oasis where I rest and am comforted. He responded to my
need and didn't forget me as I forgot Him. I rested there for a while
and then continued down the path. He led me back to the meadow, freed
from my burden of overabundant pride and reminded me that I do need Him.

Copyrights (c) 2000 and 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond
them into the impossible."
~Arthur C. Clarke~

"Show me a person who has never made a mistake and I'll show you
somebody who has never achieved much."
~~Joan Collins

"Do It Anyway"

"People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some
genuine enemies.
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.
Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.
Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today ill often be forgotten.
Do good anyway.
Give the best you have and it may never be enough.
Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway.

~Mother Teresa~

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
~George Eliot~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe To "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents In This Issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Blue Cheese Cauliflower
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Italian Broccoli
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Minestrone
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Raspberry Coulis
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Chelsea's Cookies
   Recipe:   Fabulous Feline Fishballs
Laugh Or Cry
"Putting Up" With Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Quick 'N Splenda Bell Pepper Relish
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Splenda Berry Syrup
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Orange Cranberry Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Homemade Vanilla Extract
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Coconut Macaroons
   Recipe:   Sugar and Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including Chelsea's
Corner & "Putting Up" with Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our international readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new international readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
volume and weight, oven temperature, table for u.s. and metric,
conversion factors, British measurements, and British cooking
terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

Note:   I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because i created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

This is a yummy side dish. You may substitute frozen broccoli or use
half and half for a variation.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BLUE CHEESE CAULIFLOWER

1 (16 ounce) package frozen cauliflower pieces
1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces, un-drained
1/3 cup reduced-fat blue cheese salad dressing
1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Mix cauliflower and mushrooms together. Microwave on high in a covered
dish for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain in a colander. Add in blue cheese
dressing, dill weed and pepper. Toss to combine. Return to microwave
dish and microwave on high for 1 minute. Makes 6 servings.

This is a very yummy side that takes just a few minutes to prepare and
serve.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY ITALIAN BROCCOLI

1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli pieces
1/3 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together until well-combined. Microwave on high in
a covered dish for 5 to 7 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

This is a great hearty but healthy soup. It can be eaten as a starter
or a full meal with a salad.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY MINESTRONE

1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
1 pound beef eye of round cut into tiny pieces
1 quart pasta sauce
1 quart beef broth
3 (15 ounce) cans mixed vegetables, drained
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups uncooked whole-wheat elbow macaroni

Rinse and drain mixed vegetables and kidney beans. In a large stockpot,
combine all ingredients, except macaroni. Bring to a full boil, turn
heat to medium, cover and simmer for 30 minutes (until beef is tender).
Add macaroni and cook uncovered for 8 minutes until macaroni is fully
cooked. Stir to prevent sticking.

It doesn't have to be Fall for me to want this yummy and healthy sweet
treat.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY PUMPKIN-CRANBERRY BREAD

1-1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup Splenda
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8" by 4"-inch loaf pan
with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, baking
soda, baking powder, cloves and nutmeg. Toss in the cranberries. In a
separate bowl, combing the pumpkin, Splenda, eggs, applesauce, butter
and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture and using a wooden spoon, mix
enough to moisten. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1
hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool
in the pan slightly, remove and continue cooling on a wire cake rack.
Makes one loaf.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade Refrigerator Magnets For Sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to us addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

Attention: all my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of Pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 645 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

Make A Mix Recipes
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
Or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great group of House Mouse fans for Incredimail
users. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her talented co-mods and
members:

G'day to all you great People of the World. We love the little rodent,
House Mousie. So we have a special group for them and their little
friends. Their friends are many; bunnies, raccoons, kitties, baby
animals, Hedgehog, etc. House Mousie is a rodent and any member of the
rodent family. Please come and join our friendly group. We all love to
chat, but please don't be rude or offensive to another member. We will
share mousies and their little friends' snags and graphics, and of
course some of us create stats and tags. Even if you don't create
that's fine, come for a chat or even just to snag. It doesn't matter;
we just want to make some great pals. Just like our House Mousies,
their relatives and their little friends who live as pals. NO ADULT
CONTENT IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. This is a family-oriented group, with
children looking to see our cute rodent stats. Hope we will see you
soon. Luv ya all.

Email to:
incredi-house-m-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is another free subscription to a very friendly group who shares
Incredimail stats and tags. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her
talented co-mods and members. I am now a co-owner of this neat group of
friends.

Welcome to Grannies Fun Time Group, and you don't have to be a granny to
be a member. I'm a granny and thought it would be fun to have a group
where we could send in country, western, pioneer, Native American,
Christian and USA country stats, snags, graphics, tags. NO NUDITY IN
YOUR SENDS IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. We will allow you to send in a
favorite stat, etc., as long as there is no nudity or adult content.
Daily participation is not a must but members should post at least once
a week, say a, Hi, or a, thank you for a stat. Roll Call will be
announced and I ask you to respond to it. We welcome humor and chit
chat, but please do not be rude or offensive to another member. Stat
and tag makers very welcome here, please try to make it theme related.
Thanks for coming to Grannies; we will keep it a fun and friendly group
for you.

GranniesFunTi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

GRANNY KNOWS BEST:

Keeping Cookbooks Clean:

Placing your cookbook in a plastic bag when in use not only keeps it
from getting soiled with spilled or splattered ingredients it also keeps
your cookbook from closing and you having to flip through to find your
recipe again and if something does get splattered on it it's easily
wiped off.

Roasting Peppers:

To roast and peel peppers, cut a small slit in the pepper close to the
stem end so that the steam can escape. Put peppers on a baking sheet
and put directly under the broiler or on a screen on the top of the
stove. They can also be plunged into hot vegetable oil to loosen the
skins.

Another method is to place the pods on a charcoal grill about five
inches from the coals. Be sure the peppers are blistered all over so
that they peel properly. However, do not let them blacken or they will
be very difficult to peel. Immediately wrap the pods in damp paper
towels and place them in a plastic bag to steam for about 15 minutes.

Another method is the propane torch method. Place the peppers in a cast
iron skillet and light the torch. Adjust the flame to medium high and
let the flame make contact with the surface of the peppers. Move the
torch over the surface, pausing no more than necessary to split and
blacken the skin. Using tongs or a fork, flip and turn the food as
needed to facilitate even blackening. Since the torch cooks so quickly,
peppers intended for sauces may need to be roasted in the oven very
slightly after blackening and before proceeding.

Place the chopped peppers in plastic ice cube trays and freeze them
solid. Pop the cubes out and place them in freezer bags. They will
keep in the freezer for at least one year.

These are yummy in salads or use them for garnishes on chicken and
seafood dishes.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY OVEN-ROASTED TOMATOES

12 Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher or fine sea salt

Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Toss them in a large bowl with the
extra virgin olive oil. Allow them to sit for 1 hour. Pre-heat the
oven to 225 degrees F. Place the tomatoes cut side up on a cookie sheet
(that has been covered with foil). Sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake
for 1-2 hours (or until tender). Allow to cool before serving. Store
in covered container in the refrigerator. Makes 24.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For tried and true recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

Coulis (pronounced koo-LEE) is the French name for a thick puree or
sauce. Try this healthier version ladled over reduced-fat ice cream,
plain yogurt, pancakes or waffles. You can substitute any other berries
or fruits you choose.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY RASPBERRY COULIS

3 cups packed fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
1/4 cup Splenda

Place the raspberries and Splenda in a heavy saucepan. Crush the
raspberries with a potato masher. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes,
stirring often to prevent sticking. Let the sauce cool. Store in a
covered container in the refrigerator.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 385 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:healthycuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group I am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident star of "Just Jeanne". Me iz 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American cocker spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Me haz changed my email addy. Me waz getting too much spam mail at the
yahoo addy:

chelsea-@earthlink.net

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me Has A New Friend, Auntie Theresa, Who Has Some Neat Groups. Check
Them Out:

*Cuteandfunnyanimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did. To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
cuteandfunnyani-@yahoogroups.com

*Grandparentsrus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
caring is sharing.
grandparentsr-@yahoogroups.com

*Justgarfield4u*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
justgarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*Tacs Toonz And Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
tacs_toonz_and-@yahoogroups.com

This iz my all-time favorite recipe. Me shared it before but since it
iz our anniversary, me is sharing it again.

CHELSEA'S COOKIES

2-1/2 cups whole-wheat bread flour
1/2 cups powdered dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
6 tablespoons meat drippings **
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup ice water

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Combine
flour, dry milk, salt, garlic powder and sugar. Cut into meat drippings
until mixture resembles corn meal. Mix in egg. Add enough water so
that mixture forms a ball. Using your fingers, pat out dough onto
cookie sheet to half-inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter or knife and
remove scraps. Scraps can be formed again and baked. Bake 25 - 30
minutes. Remove from tray and cool on rack.

** if you have no meat drippings, dissolve a beef bullion cube in hot
water. If you use that, eliminate the added salt.

FABULOUS FELINE FISHBALLS

3 baby carrots, cooked until soft
2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in olive oil, drained
2 ounces cooked herring, skin removed
2 tablespoons whole grain breadcrumbs or oatmeal
2-3 tablespoons grated cheese
2 teaspoons Brewer's yeast
several pinches of chopped catnip
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons tomato paste (not ketchup)

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mash the carrots with the fish,
breadcrumbs or oatmeal, cheese, Brewer's yeast, catnip, egg and tomato
paste to an even paste. Mold into small balls and put on a greased
cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking frequently. The
fishballs should be golden brown and feel firm. Cool thoroughly.
Refrigerate extras.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Free 'I'm Ready for Kindergarten' Kit
http://www.jamieleecurtisbooks.com/

Free World Peace Newsletter Pen
http://www.worldpeacenewsletter.com/

Free Paper Mate School Supplies
http://www.schoolsupplies2005.com/instructor

Free Back Pack & Lunch Notes
http://www.gingerbreadnook.com/backpacknotes/

Free Crayola Erasable Marker Sample Pack
http://crayola.com/freemarker/

Free Stuff for Students
http://www.ecrush.com/smg/freebies.phtml?partner=

Free Wilson Jones Complete 2 Indexes in 1 Index Dividers
http://www.officedepot.com/promo.do?file=/promo/showcase/index.jsp

Printable Check Lists
http://www.printablechecklists.com/checklist123a.shtml

Customizable Back To School Check Lists From Club Mom
http://www.grandparentsmagazine.net/Articles/ClubMom/back-to-school-checklist.htm

Classy Moms Online Printable Check Lists
http://www.classymomsonline.com/checklists.html

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:chelsea-@earthlink.net

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

"COOKING WITH BEACH BOY"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "cooking with beach
boy," formerly on about.com. When about.com discontinued their chats,
we found
A new home at yahoogroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
cookingbeachb-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is a group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

It is not too early to begin making Christmas crafts and decorations.
Here are a few links:

Christmas Crafts for Kids e
www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/christmas/

Christmas Crafts
www.imagitek.com/xmas/crafts/

Kids Domain Crafts - Christmas Crafts
www.kidsdomain.com/craft/_xmas.html

Christmas gift and craft project ideas
www.make-stuff.com/hollidays/christmas.html

Christmas crafts - free patterns for Christmas!
www.northpolechristmas.com/

Christmas Crafts Projects
www.allcrafts.net/xmas.htm

Christmas Crafts
www.bhg.com/home/Christmas-crafts.html

Christmas and Winter Crafts
www.daniellesplace.com/html/christmas.html

Christmas craft projects.
www.craftown.com/xmas.htm

Christmas Craft Ideas for Kids - Holiday Crafts
www.amazingmoms.com/htm/christmas_crafts.htm

DLTK's Crafts for Kids Christmas Activities
www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/xmas/

Craft Library: Christmas
www.homeschoolzone.com/pp/christmas.htm

Christmas Kid Crafts
www.robinsfyi.com/holidays/christmas/activities/christmaskidcraft.htm

Christmas Crafts - BillyBear4Kids.com
www.billybear4kids.com/holidays/christmas/crafts.htm

Kids Domain Crafts - Christmas Ornaments
www.kidsdomain.com/craft/_xorn-other.html

Christmas Activities
www.geocities.com/Heartland/7997/xmascrafts.htm

DLTK's Christmas Crafts for Kids
www.dltk-holidays.com/xmas/crafts.htm

Victorian Christmas Crafts
www.victoriana.com/christmas/xmascraft1.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange.
A great place to share your favorite recipes and crafts, Gardening with
Gary,
household hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh Or Cry:

"Listening"

Do we really listen when something is being said?
Or do a hundred other thoughts go running through our head?

Do we really hear it all or just the part we want to hear?
Is the reason stubbornness, or some apprehensive fear?

Is it that we are afraid we may not get our way;
that we shut our minds to hearing what another has to say?

Copyrights (c) 1980, 2001 and 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"The Best Gifts"

THE GIFT OF LISTENING: But you must really listen. No interrupting, no
daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening.

THE GIFT OF AFFECTION: Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats
on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love
you have for family and friends.

THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER: Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories.
Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you".

THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE: It can be a simple "Thanks for the help"
note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for
a lifetime, and may even change a life.

THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT: A simple and sincere, "You look great in
red", "You did a super job" or "That was a wonderful meal" can make
someone's day.

THE GIFT OF A FAVOR: Every day, go out of your way to do something
kind.

THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE: There are times when we want nothing better than
to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of
solitude to others.

THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION: The easiest way to feel good is to
extend a kind word to someone, really it's not that hard to say, "Hello"
or "Thank You".

~Author Unknown~

"Before I Went To Bed Tonight"

Before I went to bed tonight I just had to let you know,
I truly do appreciate the kindness that you show.
Before I went to bed tonight I thought that you should hear,
that every time we chat or write, I hold each second dear.

Before I went to bed tonight I had you on my mind.
I thought of things you've done or said, things from a heart so kind.
I hope this letter makes you happy, if only for a while,
but I'd gladly write a million, if it would make you smile.

I know this may sound silly, like perhaps I've lost my head,
but I just had to let you know these things, before I went to bed.

Today has shown us that you never know what might happen tomorrow. You
don't know if tomorrow will even come, so send this to everyone special
in your life because tomorrow might be too late!

~Author Unknown~

What does the Papa ghost say to his family when driving?
Fasten your sheet belts!

What is a vampire's favorite mode of transportation?
A blood vessel!

What is a ghost's favorite mode of transportation?
A scareplane!

What type of dog do vampire's like the best?
Bloodhounds!

What is a ghoul's favorite flavor?
Lemon-slime!

What does a vampire never order at a restaurant?
A stake sandwich!

What is a skeleton's favorite musical instrument?
A trombone!

What's a vampire's favorite fast food?
A guy with very high blood pressure!

Why did the Vampire subscribe to the Wall Street Journal?
He heard it had great circulation!

What is the ratio of a pumpkin's circumference to its' diameter?
Pumpkin Pi!

What is black and white and orange and waddles?
A Penguin with a jack-o-lantern!

What kind of mistakes do ghosts make?
Boo Boos!

Mailto:Justje-@Earthlink.Net
Here's My Joke Or Story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 865
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

This relish is super yummy served with hot dogs, brautwurst, Italian
sausage, or even with other meats and poultry. You could also pour it
over a roast as a marinade.

JEANNE'S QUICK 'N SPLENDA BELL PEPPER RELISH

12 green bell peppers
12 red bell peppers
12 medium-sized onions
2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups Splenda
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Remove cores and seeds from peppers and chop finely. Peel onions and
chop finely. Cover with boiling water and let stand 5 minutes. Drain
and add the vinegar, Splenda salt, and lemon peel. Pour into sterilized
jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap
and seal. Process 10 minutes in a water bath canner. Yields 6 pints.

When you are looking for a no-sugar flavored syrup to use as the base of
drinks, this is the answer. This syrup is also great over ice cream,
plain yogurt, pancakes or waffles.

JEANNE'S SPLENDA BERRY SYRUP

4 lbs berries (any kind you have or a mixture)
2 cups cold water
Splenda
lemon juice

Put the berries in a large stockpot and add water. Crush berries to
start juices flowing. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Do not boil.
Pour juice through jelly bag or cheesecloth and allow juice to drain.
Measure juice and put it back into the pot. To each cup of juice add
2/3 cup of Splenda and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Bring the syrup to a
simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars leaving
1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process 10 minutes in a water bath canner. Yields 6 pints.

The fun of this basic recipe is that you can mix up several varieties of
berries and create a favorite new variation.

As soon as the cranberries hit the stores, I put this sauce up so that I
have it for my Thanksgiving dinner. I love turkey any time of the year
so it is not just a seasonal favorite of mine.

JEANNE'S ORANGE CRANBERRY SAUCE

8 cups fresh whole cranberries
4 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
4 cups water
2 teaspoons dried grated orange rind

Wash berries and drain in a colander. In a large stockpot, combine
sugar, grated orange rind and water. Boil 5 minutes. Add cranberries.
Continue boiling, without stirring, until the cranberry skins burst.
Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air
bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for
15 minutes. Yields 6 pints.

For anyone who uses lots of vanilla in cooking and baking, this is worth
the one month wait.

JEANNE'S HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT

4 split vanilla beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pint cognac or vodka

Place vanilla beans and cognac or vodka into a sterilized pint jar. Cap
and seal. Let stand in a cool dark place for 1 month. Shake bottle
gently from time to time. Pour liquid through a cheesecloth lined sieve
into a sterilized pint jar. Seal tightly and store in a cool dark
place. Makes 1 pint.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Nana Gloria, wrote:

Hello Jeanne and Chelsea. My two granddaughters live with me and they
have so much fun with the links for all the neat kids' sites Chelsea
shares. The girls are 6 and 8 and are very good using the computer
(better than Nana!) Becki and Sierra said to say thank you to Chelsea.
I have been snatching all your healthy recipes since you started sharing
them. As I have gotten older, I have had to watch what I eat because I
too am prone to high blood sugar levels. I thank you and my doctor
thanks you. My last check-up showed normal sugar levels and a weight
loss of 15 pounds. She was pleased that I am doing so well. I told her
it is because of your delicious healthy recipes and gave her the
subscribe link. Keep them coming, please. Hugs, Nana Gloria and Becki
and Sierra^^^

[thank you, Nana Gloria, for the lovely note. Chelsea sends her woofy
wuv and hugz to Becki and Sierra. I am having fun re-creating recipes
to make them healthier.]

^^^reader, Molly, wrote:

Hey Jeanne. I love your newsletter and look forward to it hitting my
inbox every week. Do you have a healthier version of coconut macaroons?
I cannot have sugar because of diabetes and macaroons were always a
favorite treat of mine. Thanks. Molly^^^

These little macaroons are too die for. Sure satisfies my sweet tooth!

JEANNE'S HEALTHY COCONUT MACAROONS

3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup sweetened condensed milk replacement (see below)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. Combine all ingredients; stir until
well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls, 1-inch apart, on cookie sheets
covered with parchment paper. Press down with the back of spoon to even
thickness. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until macaroons are
golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from baking sheet and cool on a
wire rack. Makes about 36 coconut macaroons.

Variation: Add 1 tablespoon pure cocoa powder for chocolate macaroons.

SUGAR AND FAT FREE SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK

1-1/3 cups non-fat dry milk powder
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Splenda

In glass measuring cup, stir together milk powder and water until it is
a paste. Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds or until hot but
not boiling. Stir in Splenda. Cover and store in fridge. Chill at
least 2 hours before using. Keeps for 2 weeks and makes 12 ounces.

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyrights (c) 2001 -
2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 125 (Monday, 8-08-05)<><><>