Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" -Volume 126 - 8-15-05  justjeanne49
 Aug 14, 2005 11:44 PDT

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 126 (Monday, 8-15-05)<><><>

Welcome to volume 126 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

I was driving Friday evening wearing those backless floppy open sandals.
When I moved my foot, the darn thing came off and I lost control of my
car and crossed over to the other lane. Thank God traffic was minimal
and people stopped. My car spun around two times before I could get
back in control. Trust me, my life flashed in front of my eyes as there
was a cement retaining wall I almost ran into. God must have been
watching over me because I was okay and my car was okay too. This
happened so fast. I barely could keep my head on straight but I reacted
quickly and averted a major accident. Luckily, no one was right near me
when this happened. My heart was racing and it took me a while before I
felt comfortable driving again. I never gave it thought that wearing
those kind of sandals are very unsafe.

GIVE A GIFT OF LIFE

Blood shortages and Summer go hand in hand. Supplies are low in most
cities. If you are physically able, please consider making a donation.
It takes less than one hour and doesn't hurt you A slight prick on the
finger to test the blood and another slight prick when they insert the
needle in your vein is all.

I gave blood on Saturday at a mobile collection unit. You can give at a
local hospital or a blood center like LifeSource. Because of the
shortage, anyone who gave blood at the mobile unit yesterday got a
restaurant voucher worth $25.00 plus a week's free trial membership at a
local women's gym. Didn't know about the freebies....just wanted to
give blood. I have been donating blood for almost 40 years now as often
as I am able. I started donating in high school as our director's son
was a hemophiliac and periodically needed transfusions. Please consider
giving the gift of life. Forward this message to all your friends....it
is that important a cause.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "JUST JEANNE" start publishing on august 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

"On The Wings of Love"

On the wings of love, we soar the heavens above,
searching for true contentment and peace.
never to stop; never to cease;
until that day it happens and we see,
peace has come to the world for you and me.

On the winds of change, don't think that it is strange
That our quest seems wild and free;
there's a purpose to our flights that you will see.
This is our destiny.

Dream the impossible dream, make it yours to keep;
take small baby steps, you don't need a giant leap.
The journey has begun; soaring in the sun;
until our task is done.

In a world of fear, my friends both far and near,
make our world a better place to be.
Come, my friends, come fly with me.

Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"Life has loveliness to sell, all beautiful and splendid things, blue
waves whitened on a cliff, soaring fire that sways and sings, and
children's faces looking up, holding wonder like a cup."
~Sara Teasdale~

"You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were
and say, "Why not?"
~George Bernard Shaw~

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of
strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
~ Vince Lombardi~

"There is no knowledge that is not power."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"Sometimes it is more important to discover what one cannot do than what
one can do."
~ Lin Yutang~

"Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance."
~Samuel Johnson~

"Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never
really knew. They're what make the instrument stretch, what makes you
go beyond the norm."
~ Cicely Tyson~

"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail
better."
~ Samuel Beckett~

"Be Like a Child"

Through the eyes of a child, we see a world that is free;
a world of peace, contentment, love and harmony.
Through the eyes of a child, our differences make us who we are,
free to reach our own shining star.

Through the ears of a child, we hear such glorious things,
wind rustling through the trees and the flutter of bird wings.
Through the ears of a child, we hear laughter and glee,
and happy songs sung in angelic harmony.

Through the hands of a child, we build a world anew,
throwing out the hatred that is taught by a few.
Through the hands of a child, together we stand,
sharing love with each other throughout the whole land.

Through the voice of a child, our words will unite,
all the nations together; no need to ever fight.
Through the voice of a child, in their simple ways,
we call for peace throughout all our days.

Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them. You will find
that they haven't half the strength you think they have."
~Norman Vincent Peale~

"Beauty, truth, friendship, love, creation. These are the great values
of life. We can't prove them, or explain them; yet they are the most
stable things in our lives."
~Jesse Herman Holmes~

"Recipe for Living"

A measure full of laughter for every single hour,
and several drops of humor to keep from growing sour.
A pinch or two of discipline and countless pats of love.
A cup of faith, blended with prayer drawn from the well above.
A large amount of thankfulness and understanding too,
will make your living fluffy light; the frosting's up to you!

"Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have."
~H. Jackson Brown Jr.~

"The greatest conflicts are not between two people but between one
person and himself."
~Garth Brooks~

"Respect yourself and others will respect you."
~Confucius~

"The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from life is
often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it is
possible."
~Richard M. DeVos~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe To "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents In This Issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Ukrainian Cabbage and Beef
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Hot Horseradish Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Waldorf Salad
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy BLT Pasta Salad
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Herbed Candies
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Fruit Coffee Cake
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Chicken Flavored Dog Biscuits
   Recipe:   Kitty Heaven (Sardines and Rice)
Laugh Or Cry
"Putting Up" With Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Kicked Up Kiwi Relish
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Rummage Salad
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Fantastic Fig Preserves
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Three Olive Pate
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including Chelsea's
Corner & "Putting Up" with Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our international readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new international readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
volume and weight, oven temperature, table for u.s. and metric,
conversion factors, British measurements, and British cooking
terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

Note:   I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because i created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

My Grandmother, Maria, emigrated to the USA from the Ukraine. I have
been making her yummy traditional recipe a bit healthier by using
buttermilk, which is low in fat as well as reduced-fat sour cream. I
also switched from all-purpose flour to whole-wheat pastry flour.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY UKRAINIAN CABBAGE AND BEEF

1 large or two small heads cabbage
3-1/2 to 4 lbs. ground beef
1 cup finely minced onions
3 beef bullion cubes finely crumbled
2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4-5 whole bay leaves
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
4 cups buttermilk
1-1/2 cups water
4 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 container (16 oz) reduced fat sour cream

Remove tough outer leaves from cabbage, core and cut into wedges about
three inches thick. Place in a roasting pan sprayed with cooking oil.
In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, onions, ground black pepper
and crumbled bullion cubes. Mix thoroughly and form into burger size
patties. Place patties between wedges of cabbage. Add bay leaves and
peppercorns. In a frying pan, make a rue by melting butter or
margarine. Add flour slowly stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue
cooking until lightly browned. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Whisk
in milk and water and stir until well blended. Slowly whisk in sour
cream and stir until blended. Pour over cabbage and meat. Cover
roaster with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 2-1/2 to
3 hours or so until cabbage is tender. Periodically, using a soup
ladle, pour the "gravy" over the meat and cabbage. Gravy will be brown
in color. Remove bay leaves.

NOTE: This can be baked in an electric roaster at 350 degrees F. Just
eliminate covering it with aluminum foil and put the roaster lid on.

This a healthy version of a warm horseradish sauce I love to serve over
beef, ham or even hot cooked veggies.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY HOT HORSERADISH SAUCE

1 (8 oz.) package reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
1/3 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
dash of cayenne

Heat cream cheese and skim milk in saucepan over low heat, stirring
until smooth. Blend in remaining ingredients. Makes 1-1/3 cups.

Who says you can't have a yummy dessert that is healthy too? This is a
healthier version of a family favorite.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY JELL-O SALAD

2 (3 ounce) packages sugar-free cherry flavored Jell-O
2 cups boiling water
1 can low sugar cherry pie filling
1 large can crushed pineapple with juice
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
3 tablespoons Splenda

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add pie filling and crushed
pineapple with juice and mix. Pour into 9 X 13-inch dish and chill.
Blend cream cheese, sour cream and Splenda together well. Spread over
set salad. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of cream cheese layer.

VARIATIONS: Depending upon what you have on hand, you may use any type
of pie filling you like as well as any flavor of Jell-O.

Here is a healthier version of the famous Waldorf salad. The addition
of the raw shredded cabbage makes this even yummier and the grated lemon
or orange rind perks it up.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY WALDORF SALAD

2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup seedless red grapes, cut in half
1 cup raw cabbage, shredded finely
2 celery stalks, minced finely
4 Macintosh apples, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/8 teaspoon grated lemon or orange rind
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mayonnaise, and sour
cream until well combined. Add the remaining ingredients except the
walnuts and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before
serving. Just before serving, sprinkle chopped walnuts over the top.
Makes 8 (1 cup) servings.

Here is my healthy version of a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich....in
the form of a healthy salad. This will serve eight as a side dish or
four as a meal with a bowl of soup.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BLT PASTA SALAD

1(7 ounce) package whole-wheat elbow macaroni,
8 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/3 cup reduced-fat French salad dressing
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Splenda
1 large tomato, cored and chopped finely
1/4 cup scallions (green onions) finely minced
4 cups lettuce, shredded finely
1 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni in lightly salted water until al dente. Rinse in cold
water, drain and allow to cool in refrigerator. In large bowl, combine
mayonnaise, French dressing, lemon juice, bouillon, black pepper and
Splenda. Fold in macaroni, tomato and scallions. Cover. Chill in
refrigerator for 4 hours. Just before serving, stir in lettuce,
shredded cheese, and bacon. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 to 8
servings.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade Refrigerator Magnets For Sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to us addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

Attention: all my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of Pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 645 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

Make A Mix Recipes
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
Or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great group of House Mouse fans for Incredimail
users. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her talented co-mods and
members:

G'day to all you great People of the World. We love the little rodent,
House Mousie. So we have a special group for them and their little
friends. Their friends are many; bunnies, raccoons, kitties, baby
animals, Hedgehog, etc. House Mousie is a rodent and any member of the
rodent family. Please come and join our friendly group. We all love to
chat, but please don't be rude or offensive to another member. We will
share mousies and their little friends' snags and graphics, and of
course some of us create stats and tags. Even if you don't create
that's fine, come for a chat or even just to snag. It doesn't matter;
we just want to make some great pals. Just like our House Mousies,
their relatives and their little friends who live as pals. NO ADULT
CONTENT IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. This is a family-oriented group, with
children looking to see our cute rodent stats. Hope we will see you
soon. Luv ya all.

Email to:
incredi-house-m-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is another free subscription to a very friendly group who shares
Incredimail stats and tags. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her
talented co-mods and members. I am now a co-owner of this neat group of
friends.

Welcome to Grannies Fun Time Group, and you don't have to be a granny to
be a member. I'm a granny and thought it would be fun to have a group
where we could send in country, western, pioneer, Native American,
Christian and USA country stats, snags, graphics, tags. NO NUDITY IN
YOUR SENDS IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. We will allow you to send in a
favorite stat, etc., as long as there is no nudity or adult content.
Daily participation is not a must but members should post at least once
a week, say a, Hi, or a, thank you for a stat. Roll Call will be
announced and I ask you to respond to it. We welcome humor and chit
chat, but please do not be rude or offensive to another member. Stat
and tag makers very welcome here, please try to make it theme related.
Thanks for coming to Grannies; we will keep it a fun and friendly group
for you.

GranniesFunTi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

ANTIQUE DAYS OF THE WEEK

Traditionally, certain "women's" chores were assigned a day of the week.
You might be stitching a set of dishtowels or making a "sampler" of a
cute critter doing the chores, and so on. Here is a list of the
"traditional" chores.

Monday - Washing
Tuesday - Ironing
Wednesday - Mending
Thursday - Marketing
Friday - Baking
Saturday - Cleaning
Sunday - Day of Rest

GRANNY KNOWS BEST:

ORGANIZING YOUR KITCHEN:

The number one rule of an organized kitchen is to store items where you
use them. Put your plates near the table, glasses near the fridge and
cutting knives and board near island or counter where you cut up
produce.

If you do any baking, set up a baking section. Store together all items
you use when baking.

Clean and organize your fridge and freezer. Do a quick upkeep once a
week on trash day. If you don't use it, get rid of it.

Move the excess clutter. For example, seasonally used items such as
platters and holiday dishes are better stored in a basement or attic.
Unless you have a very large kitchen, it is best to remove items that
are not used on a regular basis.

How many glasses do you really use between dish washings? Store only as
many as you regularly use (glasses, dishes, wine glasses), and place the
extras in storage.

Go through your cookbooks and keep in the kitchen only the ones you use
regularly. Seasonal cookbooks can be stored with your holiday
dinnerware. Others can be kept elsewhere or given away.

Here's a tough one. If you don't use it every day, remove it from your
counters. So many of us complain about not having enough counter space
yet we crowd the counters with things we don't even use.

Check out all the racks and drawer units on the market to more
efficiently store all your kitchen items. You will find a large
selection at home stores around the country.

Set up a small pantry somewhere in your home for extra cans of soup,
coffee and other essentials. You'll save money by buying in bulk or
during sales and you'll save space in the kitchen.   A small closet can
easily be converted to a pantry. Once you have one you'll never want to
be "pantry-less" again.

A diet is the modern-day meal in which a family counts its' calories
instead of its blessings.

These are great for gifts for your diabetic or sugar-free buddies and
will crave your sweet tooth without the sugar.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY HERBED CANDIES

4 cups boiling water
2 cups herb leaves with stems and blossoms
3 cups Splenda
3 cups brown sugar replacement
1/2 tablespoon butter

Pour boiling water over the leaves and steep for 10 minutes, longer for
stronger tea. Meanwhile, butter a shallow pan. Strain the leaves, add
the Splenda, brown sugar replacement and butter to the tea, and bring it
to a boil over medium heat. Continue boiling until syrup hardens when a
small amount is dropped into cold water. Pour into the buttered pan and
score the candy into squares before it sets, or break it up into pieces
as soon as it hardens. Wrap each hardened piece in waxed paper. Store
in an airtight container.

NOTE: Herbs to try include peppermint, horehound spearmint, orange
mint, apple mint, pineapple mint, wintergreen, and lemon verbena.

This is really a yummy but healthy version of an overnight coffee cake
that you prepare the night before and pop it in the oven to serve for
breakfast. You may use any fresh fruit you want in this recipe.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY FRUIT COFFEECAKE

1 large egg
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Splenda, divided
1-1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries, or any non-citrus fruit
1/4 cup slivered almonds

In a mixing bowl, beat egg and 1/2 cup Splenda. Combine flour, baking
powder and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk to Splenda/egg
mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in butter. Fold in
berries. Pour into 8-inch square baking pan that has been sprayed with
cooking spray. Sprinkle with the slivered almonds. Sprinkle with the
remaining Splenda. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from the
refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 -
35 minutes. Serve warm. Makes about 9 slices.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For tried and true recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 385 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:healthycuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group I am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident star of "Just Jeanne". Me iz 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American cocker spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Me haz changed my email addy. Me waz getting too much spam mail at the
yahoo addy:

chelsea-@earthlink.net

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me Has A New Friend, Auntie Theresa, Who Has Some Neat Groups. Check
Them Out:

*Cuteandfunnyanimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did. To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
cuteandfunnyani-@yahoogroups.com

*Grandparentsrus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
caring is sharing.
grandparentsr-@yahoogroups.com

*Justgarfield4u*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
justgarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*Tacs Toonz And Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
tacs_toonz_and-@yahoogroups.com

CHICKEN FLAVORED DOG BISCUITS

1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups chicken stock
3-1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup rye flour
2 cups cracked wheat or wheat germ
1/2 cup dry milk
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Beat egg with 1 tablespoon milk.
Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add to chicken stock. Combine
all dry ingredients. Add chicken stock mixture. Knead on a floured
surface for about 3 minutes, working into a stiff dough. Roll out to a
thickness of 1/4-inch. Cut into bars, or shape with a cookie cutter.
Brush with egg/milk wash and place on cookie sheets. Bake at 300
degrees F for about 45 minutes. Turn off heat and leave biscuits in
oven overnight.

KITTY HEAVEN (SARDINES AND RICE)

2 flat cans of sardines in oil
2/3 cup cooked rice
1 tablespoon cooked chopped liver
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Combine all ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon to break up sardines
into bite-sized pieces. Store unused portion in refrigerator, tightly
covered. Makes 2 servings.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Kids Craft ideas, tips, tricks and more
http://www.fiskarcrafts.com/

Jar Candle Lids Ideas
http://www.cvok.net/~janets2/sub_articles/jar_lid.htm

Cute Craft Ideas
http://www.craftylike.net/

Dishtowel Scarecrow
http://crafterscommunity.com/index.php/53

Birthday Candle Craft Project
http://www.uchida.com/projects/crafts/bday.html

Mini Printables For Dolls
http://www.printmini.com/printables/pp.shtml

US Air Force Thunderbirds Coloring Book and Stickers - SASE
http://www.airforce.com/thunderbirds/libraryfaqs.htm#4

Free sample of Fun Felt Educational Products - For Kids, Parents &
Teachers
http://www.funfelt.com/form.html

Free "Too Smart to Start: Ready, Set, Listen" Board Game
http://store.health.org/catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=16691

Free "Planet Protector" Kit for Kids from the US EPA
http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/osw/kids/ppcform.htm

Free "Celebrate Me!" Children's Book from NeoStrata
http://www.neostrata.com/coverblend/cbd_cme_req.asp

Free McGruff Comics and Trading Cards
http://www.mcgruff.org/order.htm

Free "Talented Kids" Kit with Pen, Membership Card and Calendar
http://www.talentedkids.com/bamember/bamember.php

Join the Mambo Kids Caring Kids Club. Send an S.A.S.E.
http://www.mambosprouts.com/mambokids/

List of kids Printables, downloads, posters and more!
http://members.aol.com/DonnAnCiv/SoCool.html

Zapf-Creation Free Welcome Package for joining the Kids Club
http://www.us.zapf-creation.com/na/creationKidsClub/index.asp

VCY America Free Birthday Gifts for your Child (12 and under)
http://www.vcyamerica.org/kids_talk/bday_club.htm

Geoffrey's Birthday Club -- Every year enrolled members will receive a
birthday card and a surprise gift from Geoffrey.
http://www4.toysrus.com/bdayrus/brus_ad_gbc.cfm

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:chelsea-@earthlink.net

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

"COOKING WITH BEACH BOY"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "cooking with beach
boy," formerly on about.com. When about.com discontinued their chats,
we found
A new home at yahoogroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
cookingbeachb-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is a group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

It is not too early to begin making Christmas crafts and decorations.
Here are a few links:

Christmas Crafts For Kids
www.activityvillage.co.uk/christmas_crafts.htm

Christmas Ideas - Holiday Crafts for Kids - Christmas Party Planning
www.amazingmoms.com/htm/christmas_page.htm

Christmas Crafts - Craft ideas!
www.craftfreebies.com/Christmas.html

Christmas crafts & videos - Watch these videos on how to make a cornhusk
wreath, photo gift tags, M&M's wreath, festive candleholders and beaded
glass ornaments.
www.azcentral.com/home/crafty/articles/1211craftvideoxmas-CP.html

Christmas Crafts and Activities
www.busyteacherscafe.com/units/christmas.htm

Christmas Crafts, Games And Party Ideas!
www.christmas-activities.com/

Christmas Crafts - Easy Homemade Gifts and Christmas Decorations
www.allfreecrafts.com/christmas/index.shtml

Christmas Fun and Crafts
www.geocities.com/Heartland/7134/Christmas/chrcrafts.htm

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange.
A great place to share your favorite recipes and crafts, Gardening with
Gary,
household hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh Or Cry:

"What Then?"

That cause can never be lost nor stayed
which takes the course of what God has made;
and is not trusting in walls and towers,
but slowly growing from seeds to flowers.

Each noble service that has been wrought
was first conceived as a fruitful thought;
each worthy cause with a future glorious
by quietly growing becomes victorious.

Thereby itself like a tree it shows:
that high it reaches, as deep it grows;
and when the storms are its branches shaking,
it deeper root in the soil is taking.

Be then no more by a storm dismayed,
for by it the full grown seeds are laid;
and though the tree by its might it shatters,
what then, if thousands of seeds it scatters?

~Kristian Ostergaard~

"I Believe"

If you stand very still in the heart of the woods, you will hear many
wonderful things.
The snap of a twig and the wind in the trees and whir of invisible
wings,
If you stand very still in the turmoil of life and wait for the voice
from within,
you will be led down the quiet pathways of wisdom and peace in a mad
world of chaos and din.
If you stand very still and hold to your faith, you will get all the
help that you ask.
You will draw from the silence the things that you need, hope and
courage and strength for your task.

I believe in miracles and dreams that will come true.
I believe in tender moments and friendship, through and through.
I believe in stardust and moonbeams all aglow.
I believe there's magic and more there than we know.

I believe in reaching out and touching from the heart.
I believe that if we touch, a gift we can impart.
I believe that if you cry, your tears are not in vain,
and when you're sad and lonely, others know your pain.

I believe that when we laugh, a sparkle starts to shine,
and I just know that spark will spread from more hearts than just mine.
I believe that hidden in the quiet of the night,
there's magic moths and gypsies, a fairy and a sprite.

I believe that if you dance the dances of your heart,
that greater happiness will find a brand new way to start.
I believe the gifts you have are there for you to share,
and when you give them from the heart, the whole world knows you care.

I believe that if you give even just to one,
that gift will grow in magnitude before the day is done.
I believe that comfort comes from giving part of me,
and if I share with others, there's more for all to see.
I believe that love is still the greatest gift of all,
and when it's given from the heart, then not one of us will fall.

~Author Unknown~

What did the doughnut say to the cake?
If I had as much dough as you have, I wouldn't be hanging around this
hole!

What do you call a funny book about eggs?
A yolk book!

What does a baby computer call his father?
Data!

How do priests travel?
By holy-copter!

Who sings "Love Me Tender," and makes Christmas toys?
Santa's little Elvis!

Which of Santa's reindeers needs to mind his manners the most?
"Rude"olph!

What is the cow's holiday greeting?
Mooooory Christmas!

What does Santa like to eat?
A jolly roll!

Where do Santa's reindeer like to stop for lunch?
Deery Queen!

What does Santa say when he is sick?
OH OH NO!

If athletes get athlete's foot, what do astronauts get?
Missile toe!

Mailto:Justje-@Earthlink.Net
Here's My Joke Or Story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 865
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

This is a unique relish. The hotness of the peppers marry well with
sweetness of the kiwis. This makes a delightful condiment for cooked
meat, poultry or fish.

JEANNE'S KICKED UP KIWI RELISH

1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon crushed red peppers
1/4 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
4 pounds Kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
2 large apples, cored, peeled and chopped
1pound tomatoes peeled and chopped
2 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
3 cups white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 to 6 chili peppers chilies , seeded and chopped (depending upon how
hot you like this)
2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
2 teaspoons finely minced cilantro or parsley

Make a spice bag in muslin of black peppercorns, crushed red peppers,
and pickling spice. Combine with all ingredients in a large stockpot.
Bring to the boil, turn heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for
about 1-1/2 hours or until mixture is thick. Stir occasionally to
prevent sticking and scorching. Discard muslin bag. Ladle into hot
sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe
rims. Cap and seal. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
Allow jars to stand for at least one week so that the flavors will meld.
Yield: 5 half pints.

This is a great rummage type of recipe, a bit of this and that. It is a
great way to use up the end of Summer veggies. The aged white Balsamic
vinegar is well worth the expense as it really gives this "salad" a
special flavor.

JEANNE'S RUMMAGE SALAD

1 quart green string beans
1 quart yellow string beans
1 whole bunch celery, chopped
1 quart yellow corn
1 quart carrots, peeled and diced
1 quart cauliflower florets
1 quart small pickles, sliced
12 red peppers, chopped
3 small onions, minced
1 quart cooked lima beans
1 quart cooked navy beans
1 quart cooked kidney beans
3 lbs sugar or Splenda
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
2 quarts white vinegar
2 cups aged white Balsamic vinegar
1 quart water
2 teaspoons pickling spice
salt to taste

Cook all vegetables separately until soft but not mushy. Drain and
rinse. Add to large stockpot. Add cooked, rinsed and drained lima
beans, navy beans and kidney beans. In a separate pot, make a syrup by
combining sugar or Splenda, mustard seed, celery seed, vinegars, black
pepper, salt and water. Tie pickling spice in a cloth bag and add to
liquid. Bring to a boil. Remove and discard spice bag. Pour liquid
over veggies and cooked beans in stockpot. Bring to a boil and simmer
for 10 minutes on low heat. . Ladle into hot sterilized jars leaving
1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes. Yields 11 quarts or
22 pints. To serve, refrigerate jar for a few hours.

VARIATION: To kick this up, add a couple of finely diced hot peppers.

This is a delightful preserve. The orange juice and orange peel seems
to intensify the richness of the figs. The fresh gingerroot adds an
exotic flavor. The addition of the dried lemon verbena leaves rounds
out the blend of flavors. Spoon some on slices of pound cake and top
with whipped cream for an easy special company dessert.

JEANNE'S FANTASTIC FIG PRESERVES

8 cups dried figs (about 4-1/4 pounds) **
3 tablespoons grated dried orange peel
4-1/2 cups boiling water
12 ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup lemon juice
8 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
4 cups cold water
2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot minced finely
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons dried lemon verbena leaves crushed

Cut dried figs into quarters, remove stem. Place in a large stockpot
together with the grated orange peel. Cover with 4-1/2 cups boiling
water. In a microwave-safe bowl, bring frozen orange juice concentrate
and lemon juice to a boil. Add to stockpot. Cover and let stand
overnight. The next day, add remaining ingredients. Bring slowly to a
boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook rapidly until thick about 45
minutes to 1 hour. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot into
sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe
rims. Cap and seal. Process 15 minutes in water bath canner.   Yield:
About 9 to 10 pints.

** You can use a mixture of dried figs such as Kalmata or Calimyrna

This is not a canning recipe but it is a staple in the fridge at my
house. They make wonderful Christmas gifts.

JEANNE'S THREE OLIVE PATE

2 cups finely chopped Greek Kalmata olives
2 cups finely chopped Spanish olives with pimentos
2 cups finely chopped black olives
1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
1 cup extra virgin olive oil

In a large mixing bowl fold all ingredients using a large spatula until
all is blended. Put into sterilized pint Mason jars. Put on sterilized
lids and bands. Keep refrigerated. Makes about 4 - 5 pints.
Refrigerator life is only about two months....IF it lasts that
long....not in my house!

Serving suggestions:

Spread on crackers.
Mix a few tablespoons with softened Cream Cheese and fill celery stalks.

Add a few tablespoons to tuna or crabmeat salad.
Top your favorite sandwich.
Add several tablespoons to a pot of your favorite Pasta sauce. Add in
the last few minutes of cooking.
Top a homemade pizza or add to pizza bread.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Betty, wrote:

Jeanne, congratulations on "JJ's" anniversary. Not sure how you find
the time to send out so much information every week but I sure love it!
Keep the newsletter coming. Hugs, Betty^^^

[thanks, Betty! I can't believe it has been four years already. Time
sure flies when you are having so much fun!]

^^^reader, Arlene, wrote:

Jeanne, has it been that long already? It seems like just yesterday
that you began sending out "Just Jeanne". How you manage to continue to
fill my inbox with such great stuff every week is beyond me. I hope you
never stop doing so because I always find at least ten things to keep me
busy (LOL)! My little ones love Chelsea's links and my family is
enjoying all your yummy recipes. Congratulations, Arlene^^^

{thank you, Arlene. I can't believe it either. It does seem like
yesterday when the first issue was ready to hit the streets.]

^^^reader, Marjorie, wrote:

Four years already??? I have been a subscriber since issue one. I love
all your poetry and recipes. My cat, Boots, is having a blast and
getting fat and sassy trying all the kitty recipes each week......meow
meow to Chelsea! Thanks for all the information you share each week.
Love and hugs, Marjorie^^^

[Yes, Marjorie, it has been four years already. Chelsea sends woofy wuv
and hugz back to Boots.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyrights (c) 2001 -
2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 126 (Monday, 8-15-05)<><><>