Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 127 - 8-22-05  justjeanne49
 Aug 21, 2005 10:28 PDT

JUST JEANNE" Volume 127 (Monday, 8-22-05)<><><>

Welcome to volume 127 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Well, my dear friends. I actually got hurt when I lost control of the
car a week ago. Seems I ruptured a couple of muscles in the calf of my
left leg. I ended up in the local ER on Tuesday evening and am hobbling
around on crutches now. They did an ultra sound to rule out any blood
cots. Chelsea hates the crutches so she stays clear away from me;
otherwise, she usually is underfoot all the time. I have tripped over
her many times before...common practice with small critters (LOL)!

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "JUST JEANNE" start publishing on august 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

"The Lord Is Near"

When it seems dreary and dark every day,
that is when I lift up my voice and say,
"Help Lord. Hold me in your heart".

When I have come to the end of my rope
and find it difficult to know how to cope,
I cry out "Be with me Lord."

When I am my lowest ebb and
am crying my eyes out in my bed,
I entreat "Come closer Lord. Be near".

When I feel alone and scared,
thinking that no one has cared,
I ask "Will you be my friend, Lord?"

Copyright (c) 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"You never find yourself until you face the truth."
~Pearl Bailey~

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You
may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call
failure is not the falling down, but the staying down."
~Mary Pickford~

"The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small
stones."
~Chinese Proverb~

"Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in
their pleasure takes joy, even as though it were his own."
~Johann von Goethe~

"If we had no Winter, the Spring would not be so pleasant. If we did
not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
~Charlotte Bronte~

"True happiness is not attained through self-gratification, but through
fidelity to a worthy purpose."
~Helen Keller~

"When nothing is sure, everything is possible."
~Margaret Drabble~

"The height of your accomplishments will equal the depth of your
convictions."
~William F. Scolavino~

"Whether you be man or woman you will never do anything in this world
without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
~James Lane Allen~

"In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what
one wants, and the other is getting it."
~Oscar Wilde~

"You have to love yourself first, and then trust the love and love the
trust you share."
~Thomas Moore~

"Friendship Recipe"

1 cup courtesy
1/2 cup patience
1/4 cup forgiveness
2 cups
understanding
1 cup friendly words
a pinch of praise
a dash of wit and humor

No baking, steaming or stewing needed. Season with the spice of life
and serve in generous portions topped with kindness and love.

"Recipe For Friendship"

3 cups kindness
2 cups understanding,
1 heaping spoonful patience

Season with smiles and laughter. Enjoy as often as possible. Note: It
is perfectly acceptable to add a pinch of argument and, now and then,
discontent. This adds flavoring and makes you appreciate the dessert.

"My Cup Has Overflowed"

I've never made a fortune and it's probably too late now,
but I don't worry about that much. I'm happy anyhow.
And as I go along life's way, I'm reaping better than I sowed.
I'm drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed.

I haven't got a lot of riches and sometimes the going's tough,
but I've got loving ones around me and that makes me rich enough.
I thank God for his blessings and the mercies He's bestowed.
I'm drinking from my saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed.

Oh, I remember times when things went wrong,
my faith wore somewhat thin,
but all at once the dark clouds broke
and the sun peeped through again.

So Lord, help me not to gripe about the tough rows that I've hoed.
I'm drinking from my saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed.
If God gives me strength and courage when the way grows steep and rough,
I'll not ask for other blessings. I'm already blessed enough.

And may I never be too busy to help others bear their loads.
Then I'll keep drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed.

~Author Unknown~

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle."
~Erin Majors~

"The value of consistent prayer is not that He will hear us, but that we
will hear Him."
~William McGill~

"Prayer requires more of the heart than of the tongue."
~Adam Clarke~

"God speaks in the silence of the heart. Listening is the beginning of
prayer."
~Mother Teresa~

"Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the
apples in one seed."
~Robert H. Schuller~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe To "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents In This Issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Strawberry Sauce
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Vidalia Onion Pie
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Herb Butter
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Dilly Cheese Sauce
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Low Fat Baking Mix
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Béarnaise Sauce
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Soft Doggy Cookies
   Recipe:   Teensy Tiny Kitty Treats
Laugh Or Cry
"Putting Up" With Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Tomatillo Relish
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Easy Strawberry Fig Jam
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Dried Apricot and Date Jam
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Whole Apricots in Marsala
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including Chelsea's
Corner & "Putting Up" with Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our international readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new international readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
volume and weight, oven temperature, table for u.s. and metric,
conversion factors, British measurements, and British cooking
terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

Note:   I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because i created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

This sauce can be used to spoon over yogurt with fresh strawberries, ice
cream, pound cake or your favorite dessert. Great as topping for
pancakes and waffles too.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY STRAWBERRY SAUCE

2/3 cup sugar or Splenda
1 pint strawberries, washed and hulled
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Place sugar (or Splenda) and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan, stir and
bring to a boil. Simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow
the syrup to cool completely. Hasten cooling by setting pan in a
shallow bowl of ice water. Place half the berries in the jar of a
blender; add lemon juice and all the cooled syrup. Puree until smooth.
Press through fine sieve to remove some of the strawberry seeds, if
desired. Coarsely chop remaining strawberries and add to strawberry
puree. Serve. Can be stored refrigerated, in tightly covered
containers for up to 4 days.

This is a yummy but healthy treat when Vidalia onions are in season.
This can be served as a main course or a side. It also is great for a
party dish.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY VIDALIA ONION PIE

1 cup crushed reduced-fat Ritz crackers
1/2 stick butter or margarine, melted
4 large Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced thinly
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 large eggs
3/4 cup skim milk
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
dash of pepper
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
dash of sweet paprika
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix crushed Ritz crackers and 1/2 stick
melted butter or margarine together and press into pie pan. Sauté
Vidalia onion slices in 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until onions
are softened. Place onions in pie pan. Beat eggs, skim milk, salt and
pepper until smooth. Pour over onions. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan
cheese, a sprinkle of paprika and parsley. Bake, uncovered, at 350
degrees F for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out
clean.

Herb butter is wonderful on meats, vegetables, fish, and bread. The fun
is to use whatever fresh herbs you like. You may substitute dried herbs
if fresh are not available in a pinch. Even those watching fats can
have this now and then in moderation. If you make this in fancy candy
molds, your family and guests will be very impressed.

JEANNE'S HERB BUTTER

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine

Mix together and beat until smooth and well-blended. Using a rubber
spatula, transfer to a container and refrigerate. You can place butter
on a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a log or put into a candy mold
pan to make individual servings. Make a big batch of herb butter and
freeze part of it for up to 6 months to use at a later date. If the
herb butter will accompany hot foods like meat, it can be served cold.
For breads, however, remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before
serving.

Here's my healthier version of a cheese sauce to pour over cooked
broccoli or cauliflower.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY DILLY CHEESE SAUCE

1/2 lb. reduced-fat Velveeta, cubed
1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed

Heat Velveeta, mayonnaise, and skim milk over low heat until sauce is
smooth, stirring constantly. Add dill. Makes 1-1/2 cups.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade Refrigerator Magnets For Sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to us addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

Attention: all my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of Pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 645 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

Make A Mix Recipes
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
Or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great group of House Mouse fans for Incredimail
users. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her talented co-mods and
members:

G'day to all you great People of the World. We love the little rodent,
House Mousie. So we have a special group for them and their little
friends. Their friends are many; bunnies, raccoons, kitties, baby
animals, Hedgehog, etc. House Mousie is a rodent and any member of the
rodent family. Please come and join our friendly group. We all love to
chat, but please don't be rude or offensive to another member. We will
share mousies and their little friends' snags and graphics, and of
course some of us create stats and tags. Even if you don't create
that's fine, come for a chat or even just to snag. It doesn't matter;
we just want to make some great pals. Just like our House Mousies,
their relatives and their little friends who live as pals. NO ADULT
CONTENT IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. This is a family-oriented group, with
children looking to see our cute rodent stats. Hope we will see you
soon. Luv ya all.

Email to:
incredi-house-m-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is another free subscription to a very friendly group who shares
Incredimail stats and tags. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and her
talented co-mods and members. I am now a co-owner of this neat group of
friends.

Welcome to Grannies Fun Time Group, and you don't have to be a granny to
be a member. I'm a granny and thought it would be fun to have a group
where we could send in country, western, pioneer, Native American,
Christian and USA country stats, snags, graphics, tags. NO NUDITY IN
YOUR SENDS IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. We will allow you to send in a
favorite stat, etc., as long as there is no nudity or adult content.
Daily participation is not a must but members should post at least once
a week, say a, Hi, or a, thank you for a stat. Roll Call will be
announced and I ask you to respond to it. We welcome humor and chit
chat, but please do not be rude or offensive to another member. Stat
and tag makers very welcome here, please try to make it theme related.
Thanks for coming to Grannies; we will keep it a fun and friendly group
for you.

GranniesFunTi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

GRANNY KNOWS BEST:

DRYING FOODS:

Citrus Peels:

Before I eat an orange, I use my box grater and shred the peel. I put
the shredded peel on a paper plate and leave it on the kitchen counter a
few days to dry. When the shredded peels are bone dry, they go into a
Mason jar with a tight fitting cover. I then make a label for the jar.
I use the dried peel in baking and canning recipes. I do the same with
lemons, limes, tangerines, and grapefruits. The home-dried peels are
much more flavorful than the stuff you buy and they are free.....my
favorite price.

Celery Leaves:

I also take the leaves off celery and dry them as well. I simply put
the chopped up leaves on a paper plate and leave it on the kitchen
counter for a couple of days. They are great to add to soups and stews
and again they are free.

Hot Peppers:

Wear disposable rubber gloves and cut off the stem and blossom ends.
Put them into a food processor and chop them. Line a cookie sheet with
heavy-duty aluminum foil and spray it lightly with cooking spray. Put
the chopped peppers between a couple of paper towels and gently squeeze
out the excess liquid. Spread the chopped hot peppers on the cookie
sheet. Turn your oven to 200 degrees F and leave the door slightly
ajar. Using a long-handled pancake turner, turn them over every 15 to
20 minutes. Be very careful when you do this as the fumes will clear
your sinuses BIG TIME. Depending upon how wet they are, it should take
a couple of hours for them to dry. Remove the cookie sheet from the
oven and place it on a kitchen counter for a few days. When the peppers
are absolutely bone dry, transfer the hot pepper flakes to a Mason jar
with a tight fitting cover. Label them. Make sure they are absolutely
brittle or they will mold. They are very powerful and you don't need a
lot to kick up a recipe. They will last indefinitely.

Culinary Herbs:

I grow a lot of culinary herbs and dry them as well. Pick your herbs
and strip them off their stems. Chop them finely. Dry them between a
couple of paper towels to get rid of excess moisture. Place on a cookie
sheet lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil sprayed lightly with cooking
spray. Put into a 200 degrees F oven with the door slightly ajar. Turn
over with a long handled pancake turner every 15 to 20 minutes.
Depending upon how wet they are, it should take a couple of hours for
them to dry. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and place it on a
kitchen counter for a few days. When the herbs are absolutely bone dry,
transfer them to a Mason jar with a tight fitting cover. Make sure they
are absolutely brittle or they will mold. Label them because once they
are dried, they all look alike....hee hee hee. BTW, I save the stems
from the herbs and toss them into my BBQ grill. They smoke and add a
great flavor to whatever you are grilling.

Fresh Mushrooms:

Gently rinse mushrooms and dry between paper towels.   Cut into slices.
Place on a cookie sheet lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil sprayed
lightly with cooking spray. Put into a 200 degrees F oven with the door
slightly ajar. Turn over with a long handled pancake turner every 15 to
20 minutes. Depending upon how wet they are, it should take a couple of
hours for them to dry. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and place
it on a kitchen counter for a few days. When the herbs are absolutely
bone dry, transfer them to a Mason jar with a tight fitting cover. Make
sure they are absolutely brittle or they will mold. Label them.

This is a great staple to have on hand to make healthy "impossible"
casseroles and desserts. You can make it to use immediately or make a
batch to store in the freezer. It does not have a long shelf life
outside the freezer as it will get rancid.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY LOW FAT BAKING MIX

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons oat bran
1/2 cup nonfat dry powered milk
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup canola oil

Mix dry ingredients in food processor using a metal blade or with an
electric mixer. Slowly drizzle in the canola oil as the machine is
running. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix
thoroughly once again. Store in a covered container in the freezer.
Makes 5 cups of mix. Use in recipes calling for Bisquick- type baking
mix.

Many recipes call for Béarnaise sauce. The regular version is too rich
so here's my healthier version.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY BÉARNAISE SAUCE

2 tablespoons finely minced scallions (green onions)
1 teaspoon French tarragon
3 tablespoons aged white Balsamic vinegar
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped chives

In a medium saucepan, bring scallions and aged Balsamic vinegar to a
boil. Stir frequently and continue cooking until vinegar is evaporated
(about 5 minutes). Add remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat until
sauce is smooth, stirring constantly. Serve over beef, fish, or eggs.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For tried and true recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 385 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:healthycuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group I am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident star of "Just Jeanne". Me iz 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American cocker spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Me haz changed my email addy. Me waz getting too much spam mail at the
yahoo addy:

chelsea-@earthlink.net

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me Has A New Friend, Auntie Theresa, Who Has Some Neat Groups. Check
Them Out:

*Cuteandfunnyanimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did. To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
cuteandfunnyani-@yahoogroups.com

*Grandparentsrus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
caring is sharing.
grandparentsr-@yahoogroups.com

*Justgarfield4u*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
justgarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*Tacs Toonz And Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
tacs_toonz_and-@yahoogroups.com

SOFT DOGGIE COOKIES

3 (2-/2 oz.) jars of baby food: either beef or chicken
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1/4 cup wheat germ

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix
well. Roll into small balls and place on well-greased cookie sheet.
Flatten slightly with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or
until brown. Cool on wire racks and store in refrigerator.

TEENSY TINY KITTY TREATS

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup soybean flour
1 cup skimmed milk or water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon canola or sunflower oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt

Pre-het oven to 400 degrees F. Mix dry ingredients. Add liquid and
honey. Mix and let the dough rest in a warm place for 15 minutes. Add
oil and allow to sit another 1/2 hour. Take walnut size portions of
dough and flatten into small cakes. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F for
1/2 hour.

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

How to Clean Stuffed Animals
http://www.creative-home.net/Article44.htm

Paper Kites That Really Fly
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/kids/paper-kites.shtml

Gift Tags and Stocking Stuffers
http://organizedchristmas.com/printable/showgallery.php/cat/502

Way To Use Up The Odds And Ends Of Material
http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com

Ideas For Getting Kids Ready For School
http://www.reacheverychild.com/feature/back_to_school.htm

Printable Stickers
http://kidprintables.c.topica.com/maadEvtabhYoZcfvN48bafpN5Q/

ASPCA's interactive website for kids
http://www.aspca.org/site/R?i=l_RgIYrFtQ3WvDsK49nPdA

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:chelsea-@earthlink.net

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

"COOKING WITH BEACH BOY"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "cooking with beach
boy," formerly on about.com. When about.com discontinued their chats,
we found
A new home at yahoogroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
cookingbeachb-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is a group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

It is not too early to begin making Halloween crafts and decorations.
Here are a few links:

Halloween Crafts
www.kidsdomain.com/craft/_Hallo.html

Halloween Crafts Projects.
www.craftown.com/hallow.htm

Free Halloween Craft Patterns
www.allcrafts.net/halloween.htm

Halloween KinderCrafts
www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/halloween/

DLTK's Halloween Crafts for Kids
www.dltk-holidays.com/halloween/halloween_crafts.html

Halloween Crafts
www.allfreecrafts.com/halloween.htm

Halloween Crafts
www.bhg.com/home/Halloween-crafts.html

Halloween on the Net
www.holidays.net/halloween/crafts.htm

Halloween Crafts
www.craftsitedirectory.com/Halloween/

Halloween Crafts
www.craftown.com/halloween/craft11.htm

Craft Patterns - Christmas Crafts - Wood Crafts
Christmas crafts, Thanksgiving crafts, Halloween crafts and more
www.freecraftz.com/

Halloween Bag Crafts
www.artistshelpingchildren.org/

Halloween Crafts
www.mycraftbook.com/List.asp?subcategoryID=3

Cat Litter Treats for Halloween
www.make-stuff.com/projects/cat_litter_treats.html

Halloween Crafts
www.freecraftz.com/frommyheart.html

Kid Halloween Craft Ideas
www.freekidcrafts.com/kid_halloween_craft_ideas.html

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange.
A great place to share your favorite recipes and crafts, Gardening with
Gary,
household hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh Or Cry:

"Friends Without Faces"

We sit and we type, and we stare at our screens.
We all have to wonder, what this possibly means.
With our mouse we roam, through the rooms in a maze,
looking for something or someone as we sit in a daze.

We chat with each other. We type all our woes.
Small groups we do form and gang up on our foes.
We wait for somebody to type out our name.
We want recognition but it is always the same.

We give kisses and hugs and sometimes we flirt.
In chats we chat deeply and reveal why we hurt.
We do form friendships but why we don't know.
Some of these friendships will flourish and grow.

Why is it on screen we can be so bold,
telling our secrets that have never been told?
Why is it we share the thoughts in our mind,
with those we can't see as though we were blind?

The answer is simple. It is as clear as a bell.
We all have our problems and need someone to tell.
We can't tell real people but tell someone we must,
so we turn to the 'puter and to those we can trust.

Even though it is crazy, the truth still remains
They are "friends without faces and odd little names".

~Author Unknown~

"God Knows"

When you are tired and discouraged from fruitless efforts;
God knows how hard you have tried.
When you've cried so long and your heart is in anguish;
God has counted your tears.

If you feel that your life is on hold and time has passed you by;
God is waiting with you.
When you're lonely and your friends are too busy even for a phone call;
God is by your side.

When you think you've tried everything and don't know where to turn;
God has a solution.
When nothing makes sense and you are confused or frustrated;
God has the answer.

If suddenly your outlook is brighter and you find traces of hope;
God has whispered to you.

When things are going well and you have much to be thankful for;
God has blessed you.
When something joyful happens and you are filled with awe;
God has smiled upon you.

When you have a purpose to fulfill and a dream to follow;
God has opened your eyes and called you by name.
Remember that wherever you are or whatever you 're facing;
God Knows!!

~Author Unknown~

Who is the principal doctor in a fish hospital?
The chief lobstertrician!

What did the grape say when the elephant sat on it?
Nothing, it just let out a little wine!

What type of race does a female horse enter?
A mare-thon!

What is a cannibal's favorite type of TV show?
A celebrity roast!

Where do spies do their grocery shopping?
At the snoopermarket!

Why are moles such uninteresting company?
Because they are always boring!

What do you call a stolen egg?
Poached!

How does a train sneeze?
"Ah choo-choo"!

What do you get when you have 324 blueberries trying to get through the
same door?
A blueberry jam!

Why doesn't Dracula have any friends?
Because he's a pain in the neck!

How do you unlock a haunted house?
With a skeleton key!

What is a camel without humps called?
Humphrey!

Mailto:Justje-@Earthlink.Net
Here's My Joke Or Story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 865
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

This is really a yummy relish and really colorful with the green, red
and yellow peppers.

JEANNE'S TOMATILLO RELISH

12 cups chopped tomatillos
1 cup pickling salt
3 cups finely chopped jicama
2 quarts water
3 cups chopped onion
6 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
6 cups chopped plum-type tomatoes
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1-1/2 cups chopped sweet green pepper
1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
1-1/2 cups chopped sweet yellow pepper
6 cups sugar or Splenda
6-1/2 cups cider vinegar

Remove husks from tomatillos and chop. Peel jicama and chop. Place
chopped tomatillos, jicama, onion, tomatoes, and sweet peppers in a
large stockpot. Dissolve canning salt in water. Pour over prepared
vegetables. Heat to boiling; simmer 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water
and drain thoroughly through a cheesecloth-lined colander (until no more
water drips through, about 15 to 20 minutes). Make a spice ball out of
muslin for the pickling spice and red pepper flakes. In the stockpot,
mix sugar or Splenda, vinegar and spice ball. Bring to a boil, turn
down heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add drained veggies, return to a
boil and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove and discard spice
ball. Ladle the hot mixture into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process jars
in a water bath for 15 minutes. Yields 6 to 7 pints.

This is very easy to make and is very yummy. You may use any flavor of
Jell-O you like.

JEANNE'S EASY STRAWBERRY FIG JAM

3 1/2 cups mashed fresh figs, peeled
3 cups of sugar or Splenda
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 ((3 ounce) packages strawberry Jell-O (regular or sugar-free)

Cook figs, sugar (or Splenda) and lemon juice 5 to 7 minutes. Let stand
overnight. Stir in Jell-O and bring to a boil and boil 3 to 4 minutes,
stirring frequently. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch head
space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a
water bath canner for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 half-pints.

This is a delightful jam. The little bit of grated lemon peel really
perks up the sweetness of the apricots and dates.

JEANNE DRIED APRICOT AND DATE JAM

2 cups dried apricots, chopped
2 cups pitted and chopped dates
2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
3 cups sugar or Splenda
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Soak apricots and dates in pineapple juice over night. Put into
blender. Pulse until smooth. Place in a large stockpot. Add sugar or
Splenda, lemon juice and grated lemon peel and bring to a boil. Turn
down heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring
constantly to prevent scorching. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving
1/4-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 half-pints.

These are a wonderful "adult only" treat. Two or tree of these served
over plain vanilla ice cream (regular or sugar-free) with some of the
syrup on top is a heavenly treat. These make delightful Christmas
gifts.

JEANNE'S WHOLE APRICOTS IN MARSALA

4 lbs. firm, slightly under-ripe apricots
1-1/2 cups water
3 cups sugar or Splenda
juice of 2 lemons
grated lemon zest of two lemon
4 whole cloves
2-1/2 cups Marsala wine
2 small whole cinnamon sticks

Using a sharp needle, prick the surface of each apricot in several
places. Set aside. Combine the water and sugar (or Splenda) in a
non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring
constantly until the sugar melts, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat and
simmer until a thin syrup forms, about 10 minutes. Add the lemon juice
and zest, cloves and Marsala. Simmer for 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from
heat and let cool to room temperature. Pack the whole apricots as
tightly as possible into sterilized jars. Remove and discard the
cinnamon stick. Ladle the hot syrup over the apricots, filling jars to
within 1/2-inch of rims. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap and seal.
Process in a water bath canner for 30 minutes. Makes about 6 pints.

Canning Links: Just a reminder, a very long list of canning links is
always available on my web site. I guarantee that this will keep you
busy for weeks. Check it out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/canninglinks.html

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Sharon, wrote:

Thank you for the wonderful mention about donating blood. I have been a
donor for many years and serve on the blood donor committee at my job.
Readers might not know that 1 blood donation can save the lives of 3
adults OR 6 children. I also am registered as a bone marrow donor. It
just requires a simple blood test.
Thanks for all the lives you touch each and everyday, Sharon^^^

[Sharon, thanks for the info. I will share it with my friends. It is a
very worthwhile cause. Keep up the good work. People need to be
reminded periodically about donating blood and marrow.....especially in
Summer as that is when there always seems to be a shortage.]

^^^reader, Alana, wrote:

Jeanne, first of all, I am glad you weren't seriously hurt when your car
spun around last week. The same thing happened to me a few years ago.
I was driving with my little girl who was three years old. I had on
flip flops and one slipped off. I lost control of the van and ended up
in a ditch. Neither my daughter or I were hurt but the van, that was
another story. Broke the rod and had to have it replaced. We were 5
minutes from home when the accident happened. We were out of milk so we
ran to the local grocery store. Thanks for getting the message out that
driving in these kind of sandals is very unsafe. Hugs, Alana^^^

{Alana, thanks for sharing your story. Your letter is representative of
the many I received from readers telling me of their accidents or near
misses while driving in flip flops. I am glad that you and your were
not seriously hurt.]

^^^reader, Georgie, wrote:

Jeanne, thank you so very much for reminding folks about blood
donations. My son is a hemophiliac who depends upon donated blood
periodically to save his life. Our family and extended family at church
donates blood every time they can but you are right that Summer is the
worst time when blood is needed. Hugs, Georgie^^^

[Georgie, hope your son is okay. I actually started donating blood at
age 16. The director of the high school I attended has a hemophiliac
son and with our parent's permission, the students donated blood a few
times each year.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyrights (c) 2001 -
2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

"JUST JEANNE" Volume 127 (Monday, 8-22-05)<><><>