Welcome Guest!
 JUSTJEANNE
"JUST JEANNE" - Volume 128 - 9-05-05  justjeanne49
 Sep 04, 2005 14:01 PDT

JUST JEANNE" Volume 128 (Monday, 9-05-05)<><><>

Welcome to volume 128 of "JUST JEANNE", a zine devoted to having fun
with cooking, canning, using our home-grown herbs and veggies, and
sharing stories, poems and jokes....a comfortable place to take off your
shoes, put your feet up, and spend some time interacting with people who
love life.

Sorry that we didn't get an issue out last week. I was having problems
with my left leg and really needed to keep it elevated most of the
weekend. We are saddened about Katrina and the devastation she caused.
Many companies are pledging millions of dollars to various relief
organizations. My own employer, Humana Inc., pledged $1,000,000. Below
is a list of many relief organizations that are accepting donations.
Even a few dollars helps. If you cannot afford a monetary donation,
please pray. Prayers do help. The USA is a proud nation and we will
rebuild those cities destroyed by Katrina.

As always, a very special thank you to my dear friend, Cat Adams, who
helped "JUST JEANNE" start publishing on august 6, 2001.

Please keep all of our American, British, Canadian and all our Allies
military personnel and their families in your prayers.

H A P P Y   L A B O R   D A Y   ! ! !

Here is a list of organizations that you may contact to donate for the
Katrina victims:

AMERICARES
http://www.americares.org

MCCORMICK TRIBUNE FOUNDATION
http://www.mccormicktribune.org

AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE
www.afsc.org

MERCY CORPS
www.mercycorps.org

AMERICAN RED CROSS
http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate

OPERATION USA
http://www.opusa.org

CATHOLIC CHARITIES
http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/news/katrina.cfm

THE SALVATION ARMY
http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

THE CHRISTIAN APPALACHIAN PROJECT
http://www.chrisapp.org

UNITED JEWISH COMMUNITIES
https://secure.ujcfederations.org/ft2/form.html?__id=7500

CONVOY OF HOPE
http://www.convoyofhope.org

VIETNAM VETERANS OF AMERICA
http://www.vva.org/whatsnew/HurricaneKatrina/index.htm

HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES
https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005

WORLD VISION
http://www.worldvision.org

ISLAMIC RELIEF
http://www.irw.org/katrina/

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

"Wishes, Hopes and Dreams"

We dream dreams of wanting, of hoping, of hidden desires buried deeply
in the innermost recesses of our souls, unsure of why or what or how
they'd ever be fulfilled; wanting things clearly out of our reach,
beyond our expectations, but dreaming nonetheless.

We seek freedom, forgetting that we already have just exactly that
for which we yearn and search.
We seek God, forgetting that He is already ours, forever.

We travel along paths of our own choosing; roads of our own making;
highways of our own desires.
We exist for the moment, forgetting yesterday's promises,
yesterday's fulfillment.
We long for tomorrow, to be forgotten as quickly as it will come.
We seek love, forgetting it is here today.

We desire power, forgetting the labor necessary to attain that.
We desire wealth, forgetting just how rich we already are, not in terms
of money,
but rich in wisdom, faith, and love.

We are bored with our lives, tired of the same routines; yet
the unknown frightens us and we resist change.
While the glimmer of what lies beyond entices us, tempts us, intrigues
us,
at the same time our fears holds us back, restrict our movement,
keeps us where we are and where we will continue to be.
We live for the moment, unaware that we need to make our future happen.

We seek success but fail to realize that we have it now.
We need constant reminders to satisfy our egos or we feel we have
failed,
even though we have fulfilled our task to the best of our ability.

We try to live our lives for the future; instead, we should take one
day at a time, doing our very best.
If we live each day being the best we can be, then tomorrow will take
care of itself.

Copyrights (c) 1981 and 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first,
hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
~Thomas Edison~

"Good friendships are fragile things and require as much care as any
other fragile and precious thing."
~Randolph S. Bourne~

"The art of living does not consist in preserving and clinging to a
particular mood of happiness, but in allowing happiness to change its
form without being disappointed by the change; for happiness, like a
child, must be allowed to grow up."
~Charles L. Morgan~

"Never forget that life can only be nobly inspired and rightly lived if
you take it bravely and gallantly, as a splendid adventure in which you
are setting out into an unknown country, to meet many a joy, to find
many a comrade, to win and lose many a battle." ~Annie Besant~

"When we accept tough jobs as a challenge to our ability and wade into
them with joy and enthusiasm, miracles can happen."
~Arland Gilbert~

"Each, indecision brings its own delays and days are lost lamenting over
lost days. What ever you can do, or think you can do begin it. For
boldness has magic, power, and genius to it."
~Goethe~

"Enjoy the blessings of this day; for this day only is ours. We are
dead to yesterday and not born to tomorrow."
~Jeremy Taylor~

"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard
at work worth doing."
~Theodore Roosevelt~

"The work an unknown good man has done is like a vein of water flowing
hidden underground, secretly making the ground green."
~Thomas Carlyle

"Every moment of one's existence one is growing into
more or retreating into less."
~Norman Mailer~

"Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely
improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future,
without fear."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~

"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in
doing it."
~G. K. Chesterton~

"Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember."
~Oscar Levant~

"Prayer for Katrina Victims"

Lord, no one is a stranger to You and no one is ever far from Your
loving care. In Your kindness, watch over those who are displaced or
separated from their loved ones because of Hurricane Katrina.

Bring them back safely to the place where they long to be and help us
always to show Your kindness to strangers and those in need. Give us an
effective love for our brothers and sisters who suffer from lack of food
and clean water.

Help us to do all that we can to relieve their hunger and thirst, so
that together with them, we can satisfy our deepest hungers and thirsts
by trusting in Your love. In Your compassion, grant consolation to
those who grieve and eternal rest to those who have perished. Amen.

~Father Scott Euvrard~

"Could You?"

Could you describe the sky to a person without sight,
the gift of shades and shadows you receive each day and night?
Could you depict the freedom of walking down the street
to a person who has never had the use of their two feet?

Could you express the comfort of sleeping in a bed
to someone who does not have a place to lay their head?
Could you explain the pleasure of a satisfying meal
to a child who has never known the fullness that you feel?

Could you, in all honesty, with good and truthful measure,
say that you are thankful and consider life a treasure?

Could you?

(c) 2000 Terri McPherson
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
tmcp-@mnsi.net

"Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live
with insecurity is the only security."
~John Allen Paulos~

"There is no security quite as comfortable and undemanding as the kind
you feel among old friends."
~Peter Bodo~

"Ineffective people live day after day with unused potential. They
experience synergy only in small, peripheral ways in their lives. But
creative experiences can be produced regularly, consistently, almost
daily in people's lives. It requires enormous personal security and
openness and a spirit of adventure."
~Stephen Covey~

"Never compromise a dream. Do what you must. The fears, beasts, and
mountains before you are part of the plan; stepping stones to a promised
land. To a time and place that is so much closer than even you expect.
So don't let your eyes deceive you, for even as you read these words,
your ship swiftly approaches."
~Mike Dooley~

"It takes a great deal of character strength to apologize quickly out of
one's heart rather than out of pity. A person must possess himself and
have a deep sense of security in fundamental principles and values in
order to genuinely apologize."
~Stephen Covey~

"Just when you think that a person is just a backdrop for the rest of
the universe, watch them and see that they laugh, they cry, and they
tell jokes. They're just friends waiting to be made."
~Jeffery Borenstein~

Please help us grow by recommending us to your friends! To subscribe,
just send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com
Subscribe To "JUST JEANNE" NOW!

How to get back issues from our archives: just click on the following
link:
http://www.topica.com/lists/justjeanne49/read

Contents In This Issue:
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Rustic Beef Stew
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Tomato Basil Squares
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Rustic Beef Stew
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
Granny Knows Best
   Recipe: Jeanne's Balsamic Strawberries
   Recipe: Jeanne's Healthy Mushroom Spread
Chelsea's Corner
   Recipe:   Doggy Bacon Bites
   Recipe:   Colossal Cat Chowder
Laugh Or Cry
"Putting Up" With Jeanne
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Tomato Butter
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Green Tomato and Apple Relish
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Dried Apricot-Jalapeño Jelly
   Recipe:   Jeanne's Mandarin Orange Delight
"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links
Reader Requests/Comments/Recipes

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

DO THIS TODAY!! Check out "JUST JEANNE" on the web including Chelsea's
Corner & "Putting Up" with Jeanne. Our dearest friend, Kieto, spent
hours and hours loading our web pages with all kinds of neat animated
graphics. Chelsea and I are very impressed with how talented Kieto is.
You will be too!! Chelsea just loves her graphics and is proud to share
a page with a kitty who reminds her of her favorite little kitty, Aunty
Cat!

"JUST JEANNE"
http://home.earthlink.net/~maackjeanne/index.html

Thank you, Kieto. We just love our web pages.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Welcome to our international readers. We are glad to welcome you to our
growing family. For our new international readers, this bears
repeating. We appreciate that there are major differences between
American and European measurements and commodities. We direct you to a
site that has 65 charts including several conversion charts including
volume and weight, oven temperature, table for u.s. and metric,
conversion factors, British measurements, and British cooking
terminology:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart.html

Don't have something; there is a substitution chart here too.
http://www.lots-of-lists.com/kitchenmeasures.shtml#foodequivalents

Cooks Thesaurus
http://www.foodsubs.com/

[Editor's note: please tell us where you are from]

[Editor's note: if we feature a recipe calling for a brand specific
ingredient and you cannot find it in your local supermarkets, let us
know and we'll research it for you.]

Note:   I have to watch my blood sugar level. I prefer to use Splenda.
It is my choice of a sugar replacement. If for whatever reason you wish
to use any other non-sugar substitute for Splenda, the recipe may not
turn out because i created them using Splenda measure for measure
instead of sugar.

This really is a good basic pizza crust recipe that is lower in carbs.
Top with your favorite ingredients and use reduced-fat Mozzarella
cheese.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY PIZZA DOUGH

1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups whole-wheat bread flour
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Combine the water, yeast, and all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Mix
well. Add the whole-wheat flour, oil, and salt. Using your hands, work
the ingredients together until the dough holds its shape. Place the
dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth and
elastic, about 5 minutes. If the dough becomes sticky while you are
kneading it, sprinkle a bit more all-purpose flour over it. Transfer
the dough to a lightly oiled 2-quart bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic
wrap or a kitchen towel and let the dough rest until it has doubled in
size, about 60 minutes. When the dough has risen, place it on a lightly
floured surface and divide it into two parts. Roll them into balls.
Cover them with a towel and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. The dough is
now ready to be shaped, topped and baked. Makes two standard sized
pizza crusts.

Using my whole-wheat pizza dough recipe and by substituting reduced-fat
cheeses for regular, I have changed a family favorite into a healthy
version.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY TOMATO BASIL SQUARES

whole-wheat pizza dough for one pizza
2 cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
2/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced finely
4 tomatoes sliced thinly

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out pizza crust on a cookie sheet.
Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella. Arrange tomatoes in single layer over
the mozzarella cheese. In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, remaining
mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic, and basil. Mix well.
Spread mixture over tomatoes evenly and bake for 5-20 minutes or until
top is golden brown and bubbly. Cut with pizza cutter into squares and
serve immediately.

This is a very hearty and rustic stew because the veggies are cooked in
large pieces.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY RUSTIC BEEF STEW

3 to 4 pounds boneless beef stew meat, cut into small pieces
2 quarts beef stock
2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3 inch pieces
5 large celery stalks, cut into 3 inch pieces
1/2 cup diced sweet red and/or green pepper
2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large onion, peeled and chopped roughly
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 to 3 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
1 pound fresh mushrooms, cut in half
1 quart diced tomatoes with juice
1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 to 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 sprig fresh savory (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
2 to 3 bay whole bay leaves
salt and black pepper to taste
couple of tablespoons olive oil

Sauté beef in olive oil until well browned. Add onions and sauté for a
few minutes more until onions are tender. Add beef stock, herbs,
garlic, bay leaves, and salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 55 to
60 minutes until meat starts to get tender. Add mushrooms, carrots,
parsnips, bell peppers, tomatoes with juice, and celery and simmer
another 30 minutes. Add potatoes and simmer until tender. If juice
does not cover stew, add between 1/2 to 1 cup hot water. With a slotted
spoon, remove meat and veggies from stew. Discard herbs and bay leaves.
Thicken gravy with arrowroot or cornstarch. Return meat and veggies to
gravy and simmer another 10 minutes. Serve over whole-wheat noodles or
with crusty French bread.

This tastes very similar to veal parmesan. By using the reduced-fat
cheeses and the turkey bacon, it is a healthy version of a family
favorite.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY EGGPLANT PARMESAN

4-5 large eggplant
2-3 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
2-4 eggs beaten
olive oil
3 cups shredded reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat Romano cheese
1 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 lb turkey bacon
1 large onion chopped
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
2 quarts pasta sauce
3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
3/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme; whatever
you like)
extra virgin olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut turkey bacon into pieces and fry
until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Sauté onions, garlic and
mushrooms in olive oil. Drain and set aside. When both mixtures are
drained, combine in a bowl and set aside. Wash eggplant and dry with
clean cloth. Cut off thin slice at both ends and discard. Do not peel.
Cut into 3 inch slices. Dip in egg and then in breadcrumbs. Brown in
olive oil on both sides until light brown. Place on paper towels to
drain off excess oil. Combine the three cheeses and herbs in a mixing
bowl. Set aside. Mix pasta or pizza sauce with pepper. Put some of
the sauce mixture into a baking pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
Alternately layer breaded and browned eggplant,
onion/mushroom/bacon/garlic mixture, cheese/herb mixture, and sauce in
pan. Repeat until all ingredients are used up. Cover with heavy-duty
foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Let rest 15 minutes and then
serve. Leftovers, if any, freeze well.

Mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my favorite recipe, jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Handmade Refrigerator Magnets For Sale:

I am selling cute handmade refrigerator magnets. They are business-card
sized and have a colored picture on the left side with your name in bold
black letters on the right side. They will say: your name's kitchen or
if you are a canner, your name's canning kitchen. They make great
gifts. The kitchen logo can feature a Caucasian or African American
person.

They are $3.75 plus 50 cents shipping and handling to us addresses per
magnet. Out of USA the shipping and handling to be determined.

To order, send me an email telling me your name, mailing address, how
many, the name to be used, and whether you want a cooking or kitchen
logo. I will return the email with my name and address and payment
details.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

Attention: all my Ukrainian friends. I can also use Ukrainian graphics
and it will say your name's Ukrainian kitchen! The border on these
magnets are Ukrainian embroidery and it contains a lot of Pysanky
(Ukrainian Easter eggs). I also can do these with a boy and girl
Ukrainian dancer dressed in traditional costumes.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe discussion group started by my late
friend, Janie. We already have 645 plus members and are having loads of
fun every day. We not only share recipes but have evolved into an
extended "family" of sorts sharing clean humor and inspirational
messages and the like. Join us!

Make A Mix Recipes
Love to share recipes? Love to talk to friends on line about
cooking, hints, memories old and new, then this is the place for you.
Join your friends.
Go to:
Or send an email to:
MakeAMixRecip-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great group of House Mouse fans for Incredimail
users. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and myself as well as our talented
creators: I am now a co-owner of this neat group of friends.

G'day to all you great People of the World. We love the little rodent,
House Mousie. So we have a special group for them and their little
friends. Their friends are many; bunnies, raccoons, kitties, baby
animals, Hedgehog, etc. House Mousie is a rodent and any member of the
rodent family. Please come and join our friendly group. We all love to
chat, but please don't be rude or offensive to another member. We will
share mousies and their little friends' snags and graphics, and of
course some of us create stats and tags. Even if you don't create
that's fine, come for a chat or even just to snag. It doesn't matter;
we just want to make some great pals. Just like our House Mousies,
their relatives and their little friends who live as pals. NO ADULT
CONTENT IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. This is a family-oriented group, with
children looking to see our cute rodent stats. Hope we will see you
soon. Luv ya all.

Email to:
incredi-house-m-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is another free subscription to a very friendly group who shares
Incredimail stats and tags. Join List Mommy Grandma Helen and me and
our talented co-mods and members. I am now a co-owner of this neat
group of friends.

Welcome to Grannies Fun Time Group, and you don't have to be a granny to
be a member. I'm a granny and thought it would be fun to have a group
where we could send in country, western, pioneer, Native American,
Christian and USA country stats, snags, graphics, tags. NO NUDITY IN
YOUR SENDS IS ALLOWED IN THIS GROUP. We will allow you to send in a
favorite stat, etc., as long as there is no nudity or adult content.
Daily participation is not a must but members should post at least once
a week, say a, Hi, or a, thank you for a stat. Roll Call will be
announced and I ask you to respond to it. We welcome humor and chit
chat, but please do not be rude or offensive to another member. Stat
and tag makers very welcome here, please try to make it theme related.
Thanks for coming to Grannies; we will keep it a fun and friendly group
for you.

GranniesFunTi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

GRANNY KNOWS BEST:

One of my dear Canadian friends, Anita, asked that I share this with as
many folks as I can. These are two schools that will be taking in
thousands of displaced children as students. They can use cash
donations, gift certificates to Wal-Mart or Target, telephone cards,
basic school supplies such as paper, pencils, crayons, etc.

Keith Palmer, Principal
Turner Elementary
4333 Lily
Pasadena, TX 77505

Marcia Reineking, Principal
Maplebrook Elementary
7935 Farmingham Road
Humble, TX 77346

Serving strawberries dressed with balsamic vinegar and pepper is an old
Italian tradition. The balsamic vinegar brings out the sweetness of the
strawberries.

JEANNE'S BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES

2 pints strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon capers drained and rinsed

Slightly crush capers. In a bowl, gently combine strawberries, vinegar,
honey, pepper and capers. Allow to stand, refrigerated, for at least 1
hour before serving. Makes 4 servings.

Here's a healthier version of an all-time favorite of mine.

JEANNE'S HEALTHY MUSHROOM SPREAD

8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 tablespoon finely minced scallion (green onion)
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped

Combine the cheese, Worcestershire sauce, scallion and seasoned salt.
Stir in the finely chopped mushrooms. Cover and chill for at least four
hours. Serve on thin slices of low carb sourdough or French bread or
use as a dip for fresh veggies. Makes 1-1/2 cups.

This is a group owned by my dear friend Debbie and moderated by my dear
friend, Jackie. For tried and true recipes, tips and ideas, join this
great group by going to:

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net`
Here's my problem or suggestion, Granny.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Healthy Cuisine".

This discussion group is designed for folks who are eating a healthier
lifestyle and watching carbs, fats, sugars and sodium levels. Whether
you are eating healthier to lose weight, control diabetes or high blood
sugar, or high cholesterol, this is the place for you. Recipes posted
here should be "tried and true" creations that are low in carbs, fats,
sugar and sodium. We don't want low carb recipes that are overloaded
with fat and sugar. We want recipes for healthy dishes the whole family
can enjoy. We now have 385 plus members. This is a very "chatty group"
so please join in the "chit chat". If you don't like a lot of mail, set
your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
mailto:healthycuisi-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"Without-doc" - this is a newly formed discussing group I am now helping
out with. A group to share home remedies, food, exercise, and other
health related issues, benefits and results one has accomplished by
method used without prescription drugs.

This is a very "chatty group" so please join in the "chit chat". If you
don't like a lot of mail, set your preferences to "daily digest".

to subscribe, send an email to:
without-doc-@yahoogroups.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

CHELSEA'S CORNER

Woof woof to all my friends, old and new alike. My name is Chelsea and
me is the resident star of "Just Jeanne". Me iz 10 years old and am a
gorgeous purebred American cocker spaniel with lots of golden curlz. Me
also haz lots of cute freckles on my nose. Me just wuvs to get fan mail
so if you want to drop me a line or two, send it to me at:

Me haz changed my email addy. Me waz getting too much spam mail at the
yahoo addy:

chelsea-@earthlink.net

Yes, me is probably the only pooch who has her very own email
addy....hee hee hee!!

Me Has A New Friend, Auntie Theresa, Who Has Some Neat Groups. Check
Them Out:

*Cuteandfunnyanimals*
Do you like animals and their antics? Here is the place to go. This is
a family oriented group that has cute and funny animals and animal
related things for the animal lover in you. Give us a try! You will be
glad you did. To subscribe to this group, send an e-mail to:
cuteandfunnyani-@yahoogroups.com

*Grandparentsrus*
For grandparents and grandparents-to-be. We share pictures, stories,
advice and offer help to each other. We care and we share because
caring is sharing.
grandparentsr-@yahoogroups.com

*Justgarfield4u*
If you love Garfield and his friends, this it the group to join. I send
cartoonz and anything I find with Garfield on it.
justgarfield-@yahoogroups.com

*Tacs Toonz And Pix*
This group is for people who like toonz and funny pix. Material here is
ok for kids and those who don't go for adult.
tacs_toonz_and-@yahoogroups.com

DOGGY BACON BITES

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup bacon fat or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
3 or 4 slices bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup cold water

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix ingredients together thoroughly.
Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2 to 1/4 inch thickness. Bake for 35
to 40 minutes at 325 degrees F. Keep in an airtight container.

COLOSSAL CAT CHOWDER

1/2 pound white fish, de-boned and diced into small cubes
1 cup creamed corn
1 cup skim or low-fat milk
1/4 cup red potato, finely chopped
1 tablespoon liver, finely chopped
Pinch salt
1/4 cup low-fat grated cheese

In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the cheese.
Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle with cheese. Makes 5 servings

Chelsea's "WOOF WOOF ALERT"

Free Activity Books about Eye Health - Word searches, mazes, etc.
http://catalog.nei.nih.gov/productcart/pc/mainIndex.asp

Free Fall Cut and Paste pattern sample
http://store.atozteacherstuff.com/download-now/cutandpastesample.htm

Global Warming Games and Info for kids
http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/kids/games/index.html

Craft Recipes
http://www.legendsandlore.com/craft.html

Tissue Box Cover Index
http://www.mountainharmony.com/crafts/mhc_southwestern.htm
http://www.mountainharmony.com/crafts/mhc_christmas.htm

Coasters Index
http://www.mountainharmony.com/crafts/mhc_coasters.htm

Free Wildlife Stickers for Kids
http://www.nps.gov/aplic/fieldtrip/urban_wildlife.html

2 King Tut coloring pages
http://www.doverpublications.com/teachersampler/0823/teacher1.htm

Printable Monster Maze
http://www.doverpublications.com/teachersampler/0823/teacher14.htm

Hidden Pictures Coloring Page
http://www.doverpublications.com/teachersampler/0823/teacher5.htm

Here's my doggy & kitty recipe, story or joke, Chelsea.
mailto:chelsea-@earthlink.net

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Free subscription to a great recipe group hosted by our dear friend,
Beach Boy:

"COOKING WITH BEACH BOY"
Some of you might have wondered what happened to "cooking with beach
boy," formerly on about.com. When about.com discontinued their chats,
we found
A new home at yahoogroups. If you'd like to join our fun-loving
group...send an email to:
cookingbeachb-@yahoogroups.com

We're a fun-loving group of cooks and cook-wannabees who exchange
recipes, hints and ideas, and we have a live chat every Sunday evening!
Won't you give us a look-see!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Here is a group from my dear friend, Leigh Ann. I am co-moderating
this with her and all Canadians are welcome.

Gardening In Canada! This group is for Canadians only. This list is
about gardening
of all types in Canada. Whether you garden on a terrace or balcony or
have herb,
flower and/or vegetable gardens, this list is for you. Canadians
temporarily overseas
and/or in the military are more than welcome as well. It's a place for
fellow Canadians
to share their knowledge, exchange seeds, to promote Canadian Suppliers
and favourite
seed catalogues. SPAM AND FLAMING ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THIS LIST! Any
violators will be removed from this list. Off topic will be allowed
(within reason) as we
get to know one another.

GardeningInCan-@yahoogroups.ca

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FUN STUFF:

It is not too early to begin making Halloween crafts and decorations.
Here are a few links:

Halloween Magazine
www.halloweenmagazine.com/

DLTK's Halloween Crafts for Kids
www.dltk-holidays.com/halloween/ghost_crafts.html

Halloween Crafts for Kids
www.amazingmoms.com/htm/halloweencrafts.htm

Halloween Crafts and Craft Ideas
www.halloweenishere.com/crafts.html

Seasonal Arts and Crafts for the Month of October: October's ...
www.kinderart.com/seasons/oct.shtml

Ripple - Halloween Parties
www.homeschoolzone.com/craft/ripplehw.htm

Halloween Craft - Halloween Lanterns
www.kidsturncentral.com/holidays/crafts/hcraftq.htm

Halloween Crafts
www.theholidayspot.com/halloween/crafts.htm

Halloween Handmade Crafts
www.mjcrafts-designstudio.com/

Super Simple Halloween Crafts
www.thefamilycorner.com/archives/kids/3.shtml

Halloween Decorations
www.freecraftz.com/Halloween.html

Halloween Craft Links
www.kidsdomain.com/craft/_Hallo2.html

Holiday: Halloween Crafts
www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00000854.shtml

Free Patterns & Arts And Crafts - Kids Crafts, And More!
www.allcrafts.net/

Crayola Happy Halloween
www.crayola.com/halloween/index.cfm

A newsletter full of crafts
www.wwvisions.com/newsletter/sept_oct97/

Halloween Crafts - Free crafts and ideas kids can make for Halloween
www.creativekidsathome.com/activities/halloween_crafts.html

Halloween: Trick or Treat - Free Crafts, Activities, Costume Ideas ...
www.mothers-home.com/halloween/halloindex.htm

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

FREE subscription to a great newsletter from my friend, Linda:

Recipe Goldmine Recipe & Craft Exchange.
A great place to share your favorite recipes and crafts, Gardening with
Gary,
household hints and much more!

It's FREE to join...GO TO:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com
You can go here to read the current newsletter:

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Laugh Or Cry:

"We Celebrate"

We celebrate life since we are richly blessed with its' many gifts.
We celebrate love because God's love has touched the very core of our
souls.
We celebrate beauty surrounding this place we call Earth.
We celebrate forgiveness which again makes us whole.

We celebrate sharing the wealth of our being.
We celebrate caring for others far and near.
We celebrate being the persons we are and can become.
We celebrate laughter in the music we hear.

We celebrate doing everything we possibly can.
We celebrate giving the love that we feel.
We celebrate growing each and every day.
We celebrate in praise of God, our ideal.

We celebrate smiles. We celebrate tears.
We celebrate sunshine, and rainbows, and rain.
We celebrate the gladness and joy in our lives.
And yes, we celebrate the hurting and pain.

We celebrate thanking the Lord as our Father and Brother.
We celebrate following His examples of love.
We celebrate creation and eternal new life.
We celebrate the friendship He sends from above.

We celebrate receiving the very breath of our lives.
We celebrate all we have ever received from the Lord.
We celebrate all that exists in the world.
We celebrate celebration of God, be adored.

Copyrights (c) 1980 and 2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

"I'll Paint You A Rainbow"

I'll paint you a rainbow to hang on the wall,
to brighten your heart when grey shadows fall,
on a canvas of joy outlasting the years,
with a soft brush of sweetness to dry all your tears.

I'll paint you a rainbow with colors of smiles,
that glow with sincerity over the miles,
on a palette of words I will tenderly blend,
tones into treasures of sunlight and wind.

I'll paint you a rainbow that reaches so wide,
your sighs and your sorrows will vanish inside,
and deep in the center of each different hue,
is a memory fashioned especially for you.

So, lift up your eyes, for suspended above,
is a rainbow designed by the fingers of love.

~Grace E. Easley~

What's a lion's favorite food?
Baked beings!

What do you call a crate of ducks?
A box of quackers!

Why did the boy take an aspirin after hearing the werewolf howl?
Because it gave him an eerie ache!

What do you get if you cross Bambi with a ghost?
Bamboo!

If you cross a witch's cat and Father Christmas what do you get?
Santa Claws!

What is a monsters favorite game?
Hide and shriek!

Why did the monster comedian like playing to skeletons?
Because he knew how to tickle their funny bones1

What do you call a monster who comes to collect your laundry?
The undie-taker!

What's another name for a clever duck?
A wise quacker!

When do kangaroos celebrate their birthdays?
During leap year!

Mailto:Justje-@Earthlink.Net
Here's My Joke Or Story!

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"PUTTING UP" With Jeanne

ANNOUNCEMENT: our canning discussion group is in full swing with 865
plus members worldwide and based on some of the member profiles, our
combined canning experience is more than 1,000 years. Several of our
members are "newbies" who have joined to learn the right way to can. We
also have several Master Food Preservers among our membership. We are
sharing recipes and discussing correct procedures and are having loads
of fun. We are unique in that we only promote current USDA approved
methods of home canning. Co-moderator, Jackie, and I invite you to join
us:

"Creative Canning Cuisine"
CreativeCanningC-@yahoogroups.com

A great source of canning supplies can be found by visiting:
www.homecanningsupply.com
Myra, the owner, is a Master Food Preserver and the firm ships worldwide

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The National Center for Home Food Preservation, CSREES-USDA and The
University of Georgia has an on-line course free of charge. It is
called "Preserving Food At Home: A Self Study. It is very informative
and if you pass, you receive a suitable for framing certificate of
completion. Go to:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

This is especially delicious on ham but it can be used on other meats or
spread on crusty bread.

JEANNE'S TOMATO BUTTER

2 cups brown sugar (or brown sugar replacement)
3 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
2 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
5 quarts ground ripe tomatoes
3 medium onions, ground
1 green bell pepper, ground
1 can crushed pineapple with juice

In a large stockpot, combine sugars, vinegar and spices. Bring to a
boil. Grind cored tomatoes, peeled onions, and seeded bell pepper in a
food processor. Add ground vegetables and pineapple including the
juice. Simmer over low heat until desired thickness, stirring
frequently to prevent sticking and scorching. Ladle into sterilized
jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Cap
and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Yield 6
pints.

BROWN SUGAR REPLACEMENT

2 cups Splenda, Granular
1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup

Mix ingredients well. Replaces 2 cups of regular brown sugar to be used
when baking or canning. To make more than 2 cups, just multiply
ingredients by the number of cups you need.

This is a variation on my green tomato relish recipe. The sweetness of
the apples marries well with the green tomatoes. This is a great relish
to serve with cold meats or poultry.

JEANNE'S GREEN TOMATO AND APPLE RELISH

10-15 lbs. solid hard totally green tomatoes
5 - 7 lbs apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
2 large green peppers
2 large sweet red peppers
2 large sweet orange peppers
2 large sweet yellow peppers
1-1/2 cups pickling salt (DO NOT USE table or Kosher salt)
1-1/2 gallons white vinegar
1 quart cider vinegar
2 lbs granulated sugar or Splenda
2 cups brown sugar or brown sugar replacement
1/4 cup mixed pickling spice
4 bay leaves
2 whole cinnamon sticks broken into pieces
Cheesecloth and kitchen string

Wash very hard totally green tomatoes in cold water. Drain and dry with
paper towels. Core and cut into bite-sized chunks. Start layering them
into a very large stockpot. Sprinkle well with pickling salt. Continue
layering tomatoes and salt until all are used up. Cover with a clean
dish white cotton dishcloth. Let sit in a draft-free sight for 2-4
hours. The pickling salt draws moisture from the hard tomatoes. If it
is a very warm day, 2 hours is sufficient to soften tomatoes a bit.
Rinse in cold water at least twice. Drain well. Peel, core and cut
apples into chunks. Wash sweet peppers, dry with paper towel, seed
them, and cut into slices. Place all prepared veggies and apples into a
large stockpot. Add vinegars and sugar or Splenda. Stir well. Onto a
quadrupled square of cheesecloth place mixed pickling spice, cinnamon
sticks, and bay leaves. Gather up the corners and tie with kitchen
string. Place spice ball into stockpot. Sink it down towards the
middle. Stir ingredients well. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat.
Once it comes to a boil, turn down heat and simmer about 30 to 45
minutes until tomatoes are tender but not mushy. Remove and discard
spice balls. With slotted spoon fill each jar with veggie mixture
packing down with plastic knife to remove air pockets. Cover with hot
brine leaving one-inch headspace.   Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process
in boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Yield: 6 to 7 quarts.

BROWN SUGAR REPLACEMENT

2 cups Splenda, Granular
1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup

Mix ingredients well. Replaces 2 cups of regular brown sugar to be used
when baking or canning. To make more than 2 cups, just multiply
ingredients by the number of cups you need.

This yummy preserve has a nice "kick" to it. Spoon it over softened
cream cheese or use as a glaze over poultry or a pork roast.

JEANNE'S DRIED APRICOT JALAPEÑO JELLY

1 lb jalapeño peppers, stemmed and seeded, minced finely
1 large sweet red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded, minced finely
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 cups dried apricots, chopped
6 cups sugar or Splenda
3 oz. package liquid pectin

Wearing rubber gloves, cut off stem ends of peppers and chop finely. In
a large stockpot, combine the chopped peppers, vinegar, apricots, sugar
and food coloring. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and cook until
the apricots are soft and mixture starts to thicken. Stir constantly to
prevent scorching. Add the liquid pectin and boil for one minute.
Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon. Ladle into sterilized jars,
leaving '1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims. Cap and seal. Process in
a water canner for 10 minutes. Yield: 7 or 8 half-pints.

I had gotten a great buy on canned mandarin oranges and threw this
recipe together using things I had in my cupboard. The color of this is
delightful - yellow and orange bits of fruit in a light green jell. The
flavor is a wonderful blend of orange, pineapple and lime flavors.

JEANNE'S MANDARIN ORANGE DELIGHT

4 cups mandarin oranges, drained (reserve juice)
2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple with juice
1 12 ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried orange peel
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 cups granulated sugar or Splenda
1 (3 ounce) package Lime Jell-O (regular or sugar-free)
1 cup Clear-Jel A
1 cup mandarin orange juice

Drain mandarin oranges, reserve 1 cup juice. Put in a large stockpot
together with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, turn down heat,
and simmer for about 30 minutes. In a bow, whisk Clear-Jel into 1 cup
mandarin orange juice. Stir into stockpot and bring back to a boil.
Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes until thick. Ladle into sterilized jars.
Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 10
minutes. Yields: 6 to 7 pints.

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my canning recipe, Jeanne.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

"JUST JEANNE'S" Favorite Links:

A favorite link of ours to a fantastic Website created by Kieto
Valentino, one of the most talented people we know. "JUST JEANNE" is
now a permanent Link Partner. Check this site out often...it keeps
getting bigger and better all the time....go Kieto!

Kieto's Daily Recipe and FuNnIeS
http://www.kieto.com/

Subscribe to Kieto's publication:
mailto:kietosrecip-@topica.com

Here is another of our favorite links.....LynnLynn's Links....always
something for everyone:
lynnlynns-lin-@egroups.com

Domestic violence is a seldom-discussed issue among Christians.
Wingshelter is a place for Christian women to find support and help with
abuse that is going on or has gone in a relationship. We do not bash
men but help each other to overcome the hurt that is there. It is a
restricted group for Christian women.

To join, send an email to:
mailto:Wingshelter-@yahoogroups.com

An excellent non-profit site that takes cares of ill animals:
www.oscarssanctuary.org
If you click on the link below, it will automatically take you to the
"Friends" page where Chelsea and her late cousin, Cheech, have their
picture. Now all of you can see what Chelsea looks like.
http://www.oscarssanctuary.org/Friends/friends.html

A good place to order homemade dog treats.
http://www.spoiledcanine.com

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

Reader's Comments or Recipe Requests:

^^^reader, Louise, wrote:

Jeanne, we missed you and Chelsea last week. Thanks for all the great
Halloween craft links. My daughters and I are finding easy things to
make that don't cost a lot of money. My youngest daughter, Samantha,
has a birthday on October 31st so we are planning a Halloween themed
party for her. We have made quite a few decorations already and still
have time to make a few more. Keep them coming. Hugs, Louise^^^

[Louise, glad to share what I find. There are so many things that can
be made using things you probably already have in the house.]

^^^reader, Barb, wrote:

Jeanne, I am Ukrainian and made your cabbage and beef recipe......just
like my late Grandmother used to serve. Mom was never much for cooking
the traditional Ukie goodies so I was pleased to find your recipe.
Perhaps you can share other Ukie recipes (hint hint hint!!). I also
want to thank you for sharing your original poems. You have a real
talent! Love Barb^^^

[Barb, pleased to meet you. Glad you like my Ukie recipes. I will
share others in the weeks ahead. Making the traditional recipes
healthier is a real challenge for me. Glad too that you like my
poetry.]

[Editor's Note: send us your comments or recipe requests:]

mailto:justje-@earthlink.net
Here's my comment or recipe request.

<><><><><><><><><> "JUST JEANNE" <><><><><><><><><>

See you next week with more recipes, reader contributions, suggestions,
and questions! Thanks everyone. Keep those e-mails filling my inbox.
This is your e-zine.
mailto:justje-@earthlink.net

HELP US GROW... Don't keep something this much fun all to yourself!
Feel free to forward this issue intact to your family and friends.
Please keep this trailer intact so they can subscribe too!   "JUST
JEANNE" is a FREE e-zine. Issues are published weekly. We claim no
copyright on any recipe, story or poem published in "JUST JEANNE" unless
otherwise noted.   "JUST JEANNE" as a whole is Copyrights (c) 2001 -
2005 Jeanne Maack. All Rights Reserved.

To Subscribe: Send a blank e-mailto:
mailto:justjeanne4-@topica.com

Subscribe to "JUST JEANNE" NOW!   Encourage your family and friends to
get their own personal copy by subscribing too!

To Unsubscribe: Send a blank e-mail to:
mailto:justjeanne49-@topica.com
We'll all cry if you do and what do you do with a weepy doggy?

Privacy Policy: Your Privacy is our business. Your email address
and/or any other personal information will not be published or released
to any outside entity under ANY circumstances. Questions answered or
comments given by Granny are for entertainment purposes only. The
publisher, "JUST JEANNE", and respective staff will not be liable for
any or all incidents, problems or misfortunes that may result from such.
Any duplication through electronic or print means without prior consent
from the publisher is not allowed. Exception: Feel free to forward
this e-zine to your family and friends fully intact.

JUST JEANNE" Volume 128 (Monday, 9-05-05)<><><>