Welcome Guest!
 kek-list
Kekekabic Trail Club  Liisa Beckman
 Feb 22, 2014 14:48 PST

--047d7b86df66fa9bdb04f30688fc

Dear Kekekabic Trail Club member,

The purpose of this letter is to update you on the status of the Kekekabic
Trail Club (KTC) and to request your help. As you know, the KTC has not
been very active in the last several years and many of our past club
activities (e.g. monthly meetings, organized hikes, the Hungry Beaver
newsletter, etc) have waned or stopped. Trail clearing trips - our most
critical function - have continued, although the number of trips and number
of volunteers recruited have decreased over the years.

We continue to coordinate annual saw training sessions with the US Forest
Service and have been active in telling people about the Kekekabic Trail
(Kek) through presentations and our booth at the semi-annual Outdoor
Adventure Expos in Minneapolis. In 2011, the Club successfully updated the
Kekekabic Trail Guide, which was absolutely necessary because of the
changes to the Trail following the '99 blow down and wildfires. We are
updating and re-printing it again right now in advance of the spring
Outdoor Adventure Expo this April.

Given the history and significance of the KTC, we would like to make a
serious effort to carry on the Club's vital mission of restoring and
maintaining the Kekekabic Trail and other hiking trails of the Boundary
Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. For the last year, we have been exploring an
idea that arose from a meeting we hosted in August of 2011. The idea is
dissolving the KTC as a stand-alone non-profit organization and becoming a
Chapter of the non-profit North Country Trail Association (NCTA). As you
know, the Kek is already an unofficial part of the North Country National
Scenic Trail (administered by the National Park Service).

Following passage of Arrowhead Re-route legislation in Congress, the Kek
would become an official component of the NCT. The KTC is already an
affiliate partner organization of the NCTA, which is based in Lowell, MI
and has a small professional staff. These staff members handle many
administrative tasks associated with a membership-based volunteer trail
building, maintaining, and promoting organization.

There are several reasons why this new arrangement would make sense. First,
the NCTA would provide many of the basic "administrative tasks" that many
small volunteer run non-profit organizations struggle with. Those include:
management of a membership program (e.g. processing new members,
maintaining membership lists,& sending out timely renewals) anddelivery of
a member / public communication program (e.g. print magazine, state
newsletter, email newsletter, website/Facebook), etc. Secondly, the NCTA
already promotes the NCT and its component trails locally and nationally -
including the Kek. Thirdly, the NCTA and NPS are already supporting the
KTC via grants and staff support. Lastly, their staff is already working
to help manage partnerships with land management agencies (e.g. Superior
National Forest) and recruit new volunteers.

We are definitely interested in your feedback on this proposed change and
the future of the KTC. Please feel free to contact us to share your
thoughts. You'll find our contact info at the end of this letter.

In order for the KTC to cease as a free standing non-profit and become a
Chapter of the North Country Trail Association, several things need to
happen:

1)     We, the KTC's leadership, need to complete several administrative
tasks:

a.     Resolve issues with our articles of incorporation that specify
distribution of KTC assets to the Superior National Forest and DNR upon
dissolution.

b.     File a dissolution application with the MN Secretary of State

*2)     **A minimum of ten members of the KTC need to express a commitment
and join the NCTA and request their membership be assigned to the new
Kekekabic Trail Club chapter*

3)     The NCTA's Board of Directors would need to formally approve the
creation of the Kekekabic Trail Club Chapter and accept the Chapter's
charter. The charter simply specifies that the Chapter agrees to support
the NCTA's mission and specifies the Chapter's area of NCT responsibility.

Once the new Kekekabic Trail Club Chapter is formed, we will have to elect
Chapter officers and enhance activities (with a special emphasis on
organizing trail clearing trips, training additional trip leaders, and
recruiting more volunteers).

*Would you please consider joining the NCTA as a member of the Kekekabic
Trail Club Chapter?* If so, visit
http://northcountrytrail.org/get-involved/become-a-member/to learn more and
join online. You may also call the NCTA office at 1-866-HIKE-NCT or mail
in the membership form below.

We would like to reach the 10 member quota ASAP - please consider within
the next couple of weeks.

Again, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns
about this process.

Sincerely,

Mark Stange                                       Terry Bernhardt

KTC President                                    Past KTC President

MarkS-@comcast.net                  tbernh-@comcast.net

612-508-6695 cell                               651-226-6546 cell

--047d7b86df66fa9bdb04f30688fc

the Kekekabic Trail Club (KTC) and to request your help.<span style>  </span>As you know, the KTC has not been very
active in the last several years and many of our past club activities (e.g.
monthly meetings, organized hikes, the Hungry Beaver newsletter, etc) have
waned or stopped.<span style>  </span>Trail clearing
trips – our most critical function - have continued, although the number of

the US Forest Service and have been active in telling people about the Kekekabic
Trail (Kek) through presentations and our booth at the semi-annual Outdoor
Adventure Expos in Minneapolis.<span style>  </span>In
2011, the Club successfully updated the Kekekabic Trail Guide, which was
absolutely necessary because of the changes to the Trail following the ’99 blow
down and wildfires.<span style>  </span>We are
updating and re-printing it again right now in advance of the spring Outdoor

to make a serious effort to carry on the Club’s vital mission of restoring and maintaining
the Kekekabic Trail and other hiking trails of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area
Wilderness.<span style>  </span>For the last year, we
have been exploring an idea that arose from a meeting we hosted in August of
2011.<span style>  </span>The idea is dissolving the
KTC as a stand-alone non-profit organization and becoming a Chapter of the non-profit
North Country Trail Association (NCTA).<span style>
legislation in Congress, the Kek would become an official component of the
NCT.<span style>  </span>The KTC is already an
affiliate partner organization of the NCTA, which is based in Lowell, MI and
has a small professional staff.<span style>
membership-based volunteer trail building, maintaining, and promoting

make sense.<span style>  </span>First, the NCTA would
provide many of the basic “administrative tasks” that many small volunteer run
non-profit organizations struggle with.<span style>
members, maintaining membership lists,& sending out timely renewals) anddelivery
of a member / public communication program (e.g. print magazine, state
newsletter, email newsletter, website/Facebook), etc.<span style>  </span>Secondly, the NCTA already promotes the NCT and its
component trails locally and nationally – including the Kek.<span style>  </span>Thirdly, the NCTA and NPS are already
supporting the KTC via grants and staff support.<span style>  </span>Lastly, their staff is already working to help manage
partnerships with land management agencies (e.g. Superior National Forest) and

and become a Chapter of the North Country Trail Association, several things
need to happen:</p>

administrative tasks:</p>

incorporation that specify distribution of KTC assets to the Superior National
Forest and DNR upon dissolution.</p>

Secretary of State</p>

need to express a commitment and join the NCTA and request their membership be
assigned to the new Kekekabic Trail Club chapter</b></p>

formally approve the creation of the Kekekabic Trail Club Chapter and accept
the Chapter’s charter.<span style>  </span>The charter
simply specifies that the Chapter agrees to support the NCTA’s mission and
specifies the Chapter’s area of NCT responsibility.</p>

have to elect Chapter officers and <span style> </span>enhance activities (with a special emphasis on organizing
trail clearing trips, training additional trip leaders, and recruiting more

learn more and join online.<span style>  </span>You
may also call the NCTA office at 1-866-HIKE-NCT or mail in the membership form

questions or concerns about this process.</p>

Bernhardt</p>

KTC President</p>

cell</p>

--047d7b86df66fa9bdb04f30688fc--