Welcome Guest!
 kek-list
POW WOW Trail report  Martin Kubik
 May 29, 2014 07:56 PDT
For those interested in backpacking the Pow Wow Trail near Isabella, here is a photo essay report: http://bwac.smugmug.com/
I backpacked the 32 mile long trail in 3 days crossing and climbing over 1,817 treefalls.  Proficiency with map and compass is highly recommended and GPS with a track as a backup - unless you intend to make it an "extended stay' trip.   Forest Service plans to clear the north segment late summer or early fall - it has about 1,000 treefalls.  Forest Service told me that they plan to do no maintenance in 2015 and 2016, despite of bringing up "annual maintenance" at a meeting with volunteer groups in November 2012.  Pow Wow offers unmatched solitude and in a way, despite of destruction by Pagami Creek Fire, it is a beautiful trail.  Unlike three years ago when all wildlife was absend, I saw gardner snakes, forest mice, grouse, many birds, bumble bees and knee high jack pines.  Yet it is a challenging trail, and best done in a group.

Regards,
Martin Kubik
wtra-@yahoo.com
PS Leave the SPOT device at home.  That way you will be able to focus on finding your way instead of whether you should call for rescue or not.

Martin Kubik
Boundary Waters Advisory Committee
Founder
309 Cedar Avenue S.