Welcome Guest!
 Kriegies
RE: POW Diaries  Mike Yared
 Dec 10, 2008 06:29 PST

can you post your diary on the web?
Mike

j_fr-@hotmail.com wrote:

My name is James Franklin and I'm researching the POW experience in the
ETO. My grandfather was Cpl. William D. Franklin of the 10th Armored
Division of Patton's 3rd Army. He was captured at the Battle of the
Bulge at Bastogne and ended up at Stalag IV-B in Muhlburg. He
transferred to a Kommando in or around Zittau on the Czech/Polish
border. Later, due to worsening health, he and others were transferred
to nearby Seifhennersdorf to some kind of Hospital and later to the
Reserve Lazaret at Schmorkau. They were liberated on 4/21/45 by the
Russians and were told they were to march to Moscow before being sent
home. They marched northeast into Poland for several weeks before being

sent on trucks to Luckenwalde at Stalag IIIA. It was several more weeks

before they were finally sent to Halle and US control.

He kept a diary from April-June detailing this journey. Also, I have
come into posession of another diary from a fellow prisoner from all of
these same camps that dates from 12/10/44-6/3/45. This was written by
Cpl. Russell Guerra of the 99th Infantry "Checkerboard" division. I'm
in the process of scanning and typing it up.

I intend to write a narrative account in the "based on actual events"
style of historical fiction. The more I learn about others'
experiences, the more gaps I can fill in and the closer I can get to
getting the story historically accurate.

I look forward to reading accounts on this discussion topic and relaying

any information I can help others with. Also, when I'm done typing up
Russ's diary, I will post a list of names found in his diary and also in

my grandfather's effects.

James