Welcome Guest!
 Kriegies
Re: Kriegies  Ria Koster
 Sep 14, 1999 07:02 PDT
Dean wrote in answer to Chris re 'kriegies':

 "The term is derived from the German Kriegsgefangenen which was the German
term for Prisoner of war. The POWs shortened it to Kriegie to refer to
themselves, versus Goons for the guards. There was a whole lexicon that is
very interesing.">

I spent the war years in Holland, being of Dutch origin. To me the word
Krieg still means War from the German point of view. While I appreciate
and understand the allied prisoners short form of PoW to be 'a kriegie', my
first reaction was that a kriegie would be German. Funny eh, how it all
depends on you background and resultant point of view.

As I said in my introduction, I do hope there'll be some reactions from
prisoners from the Far East as well. I am not a survivor of a Japanese
camp myself, but an active member of such a group because of strong ties in
different directions to these survivors.

On the other hand, having lived through German occupation, I am also
interested in the comments and stories from the kriegies.

Good luck to you all!

Ria.