Welcome Guest!
 Learn English
Smile - it's newsletter time! 201  John Finley
 Jun 01, 2010 13:38 PDT

* * * * *
* * * *
* * *
   * *
    *

John Finley's Learn English newsletter
Tuesday 01 June 2010     2010    Issue No. 201

Contents:

1.   Welcome
2.   Test
3.   Idiom
4.   Jokes
5.   Test Answers
6.   Subscribe/Unsubscribe information
7.   That's all folks

1. Welcome

Hi

Well, June is here but the weather seems to think
that it's still November here in Vienna. It's cold,
windy and very wet.

We had a very long winter, then from late March just a
few short weeks of spring-like weather, followed by the
wettest, coldest May in decades. It really has been appalling.

The forecast for the weekend looks better though.

Fingers crossed!

;-)

john

2. Test

Select the sentence from each choice of three
which you think is correct. Then check your
answers at the end of the newsletter. Good luck!

1.
a I work at London.
b I work by London.
c I work in London.

2.
a We have been to Italy last year.
b We went to Italy last year.
c We had been to Italy last year.

3.
a The meeting starts on 10.30 am.
b The meeting starts in 10.30 am.
c The meeting starts at 10.30 am.

4.
a How many times did you go to Spain?
b How many times have you been to Spain?
c How many times to Spain you go?

5.
a My birthday is at March 21st.
b My birthday is March 21st.
c My birthday is on March 21st.

6.
a Mary has lived here since 4 years.
b Mary has lived here for 4 years.
c Mary had lived here 4 years.

7.
a Her office is at the first floor.
b Her office is in the first floor.
c Her office is on the first floor.

8.
a I was shopping on Saturday.
b I went shopping on Saturday.
c I did shop on Saturday.

9.
a Last night I watched television.
b Last night I looked at television.
c Last night I saw television.

10.
a We visited China for ten years.
b We visited China since ten years.
c We visited China ten years ago.

3. Idiom

#-# each to their own #-#
#-# each to his own #-#

Everybody is different - we all have different
interests, tastes, likes and dislikes.

This idiom is used to express this.

In the past the form 'each to his own' was used,
but nowadays 'each to their own' is also common.

(In the US it's more common to say "To each, his own".)

- - -

For example, I like eating sweet things for
breakfast (bread and honey or cornflakes and milk)
whereas Julia often likes to eat something salty
(cheese, pickles, olives).

When I see Julia eating something salty and shake
my head (by shaking my head I show that I can't
believe what she's eating) she simply says,
"Each to their own."

4. Jokes

Many churches have posters outside which
try to encourage people to go outside. The
posters often use plays on words to grab
people's attention. See what you think of them.

- - -
- - -

No Lord - No peace
Know Lord - Know peace

- - -

Free trip to heaven. Details inside.

- - -

Come in and pray today. Beat the Christmas rush.

- - -

Searching for a new look?
Have your faith lifted here.

- - -

Having trouble sleeping?
We have sermons - come in and listen to one.

- - -

People are like teabags - you have to put them
in hot water before you know how strong they are.

- - -

How will you spend eternity - smoking or non-smoking?

- - -

If you don't like the way you were born,
why not try being born again?

- - -

This is a C H _ _ C H

What's missing?

.
.
.

UR

5. Test answers

1.c I work in London.

2.b We went to Italy last year.

3.c The meeting starts at 10.30am.

4.b How many times have you been to Spain?

5.c My birthday is on March 21st.

6.b Mary has lived here for 4 years.

7.c Her office is on the first floor.

8.b I went shopping on Saturday.

9.a Last night I watched television.

10.c We visited China ten years ago.

the newsletter, or if you would like to get it from
a different email address), send a blank email to:
learnenglis-@topica.com
</a>

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
learnenglish-@topica.com
</a>

7. That's all folks!

That's all for a couple of weeks

;-)

john

topfe-@yahoo.com
</a>

You can read all previous issues of the newsletter at:
<A HREF="http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read">
http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read
</A>

    *