Welcome Guest!
 Learn English
Smile - its newsletter time! 188  John Finley
 Jun 01, 2009 12:05 PDT

* * * * *
* * * *
* * *
   * *
    *

John Finley's Learn English newsletter
Monday 01 June 2009     2009    Issue No. 188

Contents:

1.   Welcome
2.   Test
3.   Idiom
4.   Jokes
5.   Test Answers
6.   Subscribe/Unsubscribe information
7.   That's all folks

1. Welcome

Hi

My word, it's June already. It only seems yesterday
that it was May!

;-)

john

2. Test

There are quite a few mistakes in the following passage.
See if you can find and correct them.

The correct version is at the end of the newsletter.
Good luck!

- - -

Today it's June 1 and this week is a quiet week at work,
but before two weeks it is May 18 and I was very busy.

I had lots of classes to teach - any of them with
large groups and any of them with small groups.

I had a new groups of students and say to them,
"Welcome in the English course. I am hoping you will
liking it."

I teach one of the groups since four years.

Most of my classes are in the ground floor, but some
of them are in the first floor.

3. Idiom

#-# to feel under the weather #-#

If you feel under the weather then you don't feel
very well. You could have a cold or a headache,
but the key thing is that you don't feel too well.

By saying that you feel under the weather you
make it clear that you're not feeling okay.

4. Jokes

My colleague is so dumb (stupid) ...

... after making a photocopy he compares it with
the original to see if there are any spelling mistakes

... if he needs an additional sheet of white paper he
makes a photocopy of the sheet he already has

... he can't make ice-cubes if he doesn't have the recipe

... when he sends a fax he puts a stamp on it

... he called the airport and asked how long it takes
to fly from Vienna to London. When the person on the
phone said "Just a second" he said "Thank you" and
hung up the phone.

#-#-# <http://www.angelfire.com/on/topfen> #-#-#

Vocabulary: if someone is born, gets married or
dies in the UK this event is registered (recorded)
and a certificate is issued. You do all this at a
registry office. The person who works there is
the registrar.

- - -

A few days after his wife gave birth to their fifth
child the husband went to the registry office to
register the child's birth and to get a birth certificate.

He filled out the form and handed it to the registrar,
who read through it to check that it was properly
completed.

After a minute the registrar said to the man,
"Excuse me, sir. You've put down here that you are
English and that your wife is English, but that your
child is Chinese. How can your child be Chinese?"

The man smiled and said, "My other four children
are all English but this one is Chinese. Trust me."

The registrar looked confused and said, "I don't
understand. Please explain how your child can be
Chinese."

The man replied, "I read it in the newspaper last
week. It said that every fifth child born in the
world is Chinese."

#-#-# <http://www.angelfire.com/on/topfen> #-#-#

Two single men, Bob and Tom, were sitting in a
bar talking. Their conversation drifted from sports
to cooking.

"I got a cookbook once," said Bob, "but I could
never do anything with it."

"Were the recipes too difficult?" asked Tom.

"Yes, they were incredibly difficult," answered Bob.
"All of the recipes began 'Take a clean dish and...'!"

5. Test answers

Here is the corrected passage.

Today it's June 1 and this week is a quiet week at work,
but two weeks ago it was May 18 and I was very busy.

I had lots of classes to teach - some of them with
large groups and some of them with small groups.

I had a new groups of students and said to them,
"Welcome to the English course. I hope you will
like it."

I have taught one of the groups for four years.

Most of my classes are on the ground floor, but some
of them are on the first floor.

the newsletter, or if you would like to get it from
a different email address), send a blank email to:
learnenglis-@topica.com
</a>

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
learnenglish-@topica.com
</a>

7. That's all folks!

That's all for a couple of weeks.

;-)

john

topfe-@yahoo.com
</a>

You can read all previous issues of the newsletter at:
<A HREF="http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read">
http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read
</A>

    *