Welcome Guest!
 Learn English
Smile - its newsletter time! 191  John Finley
 Aug 17, 2009 12:18 PDT

* * * * *
* * * *
* * *
   * *
    *

John Finley's Learn English newsletter
Monday 17 August 2009     2009    Issue No. 191

Contents:

1.   Welcome
2.   Test
3.   Idiom
4.   Jokes
5.   Test Answers
6.   Subscribe/Unsubscribe information
7.   That's all folks

1. Welcome

Hi

Boy, it's hot in Vienna. Today way over 30 and it'll
be 29 or more until the weekend. 22 is more than enough for me!

Three weeks ago we flew to England and it was nice to
escape the heat - on the day we left it was 37 in Vienna.

We visited my parents (and my brothers and sisters
and their families) and it was especially nice for
my three sons to spend time with their English
grandparents and their cousins.

It was a big boost for their English speaking skills
as well.

But now, on with the show

;-)

john

2. Test

Select the sentence which you think is correct.
Then check your answers at the end of the
newsletter. Good luck!

1.
a I got married two years ago.
b I did get married two years ago.
c I married two years ago.

2.
a She goes to the cinema on Wednesday.
b She is going to the cinema on Wednesday.
c She will go to the cinema on Wednesday.

3.
a I have lived in Vienna since 5 years.
b I have lived in Vienna for 5 years.

4.
a Her office is at the first floor.
b Her office is in the first floor.
c Her office is on the first floor.

5.
a We went to the theatre on New Year's Day.
b We went to the theatre at New Year's Day.
c We went to the theatre in New Year's Day.

3. Idiom

#-# to sleep like a log #-#

If you sleep like a log then you are very
deeply asleep. You can say that you slept
like a log if you had a good night's sleep
and didn't wake up during the night.

The Beatles used this idiom in their song
Hard Day's Night, together with the idiom
"to work like a dog" which means to work
very hard:

"It's been a hard day's night
and I've been working like a dog

It's been a hard day's night
and I've been sleeping like a log"

4. Jokes

A man hadn't been feeling very well and so he
went to his doctor and had a complete checkup.

After examining him the doctor said, "I'm afraid
I have some very bad news. You're dying and
you don't have very long left to live."

"Oh, that's terrible," said the man. "How long
have I got left to live?"

The doctor replied sadly, "Ten".

"Ten?" asked the man. "Ten what? Months?
Weeks? Days? Ten what?"

"Nine..."

#-#-# <http://www.angelfire.com/on/topfen> #-#-#

A man went to the passport office to get his first
passport. A female civil servant gave him an
application form to complete and he went to a desk
and sat down to complete it.

Twenty minutes later the civil servant noticed that
the man was staring at the form, but not writing
anything.

She went across to where the man was sitting and
looked over his shoulder. She saw that he was trying
to write 'twice a week' in the box labelled 'SEX'.

She said to the man, "No, that's not what we are
asking. We are asking 'MALE' or 'FEMALE'."

"Doesn't matter," the man replied.

#-#-#-# <http://www.angelfire.com/on/topfen> #-#-#-#

A man hadn't been feeling very well and so he
went to his doctor and had a complete checkup.

After examining him the doctor said, "I have some
good news and some bad news for you. Which
do you want to hear first?"

"Tell me the bad news first," said the man.

The doctor replied, "The bad news is, you have
Alzheimer's disease".

"And the good news?" asked the man.

"The good news is, when you arrive home you
won't remember the bad news!"

5. Test answers

1.
a I got married two years ago.
c I married two years ago.
Both of these are possible, though 'I got married'
is more common.

2.
b She is going to the cinema on Wednesday.

3.
b I have lived in Vienna for 5 years.

4.
c Her office is on the first floor.

5.
a We went to the theatre on New Year's Day.

the newsletter, or if you would like to get it from
a different email address), send a blank email to:
learnenglis-@topica.com
</a>

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
learnenglish-@topica.com
</a>

7. That's all folks!

That's all for a couple of weeks.

;-)

john

topfe-@yahoo.com
</a>

You can read all previous issues of the newsletter at:
<A HREF="http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read">
http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read
</A>

    *