Welcome Guest!
 Learn English
Smile - its newsletter time! 193  John Finley
 Oct 05, 2009 13:51 PDT

* * * * *
* * * *
* * *
   * *
    *

John Finley's Learn English newsletter
Monday 05 October 2009     2009    Issue No. 193

Contents:

1.   Welcome
2.   Test
3.   Idiom
4.   Jokes
5.   Test Answers
6.   Subscribe/Unsubscribe information
7.   That's all folks

1. Welcome

Hi

Well, autumn is here but the weather in Vienna is
wonderful at the moment. We went for a walk and had
a picnic in the Vienna woods yesterday - we had fun
seeing some wild pigs and also collected lots of conkers.

Some of my students will have the fun of playing
conkers in their sessions with me this week.

If you want to know more, here are some useful links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_j4BtYGufY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Gr3fTGbSo

Now, on with the show

;-)

john

2. Test

Select the sentence which you think is correct.
Then check your answers at the end of the newsletter.
Good luck!

1.
a Your cake tastes well.
b Your cake tastes good.

2.
a He works on the first floor.
b He works in the first floor.
c He works at the first floor.

3.
a I was cutting my finger while I was slicing the bread.
b I cut my finger while I was slicing the bread.
c I was cutting my finger while I sliced the bread.

4.
a I'm not very interested in physics.
b I'm not very interested at physics.
c I'm not very interested with physics.

5.
a Are you afraid with dogs?
b Are you afraid by dogs?
c Are you afraid for dogs?
d Are you afraid of dogs?

3. Idiom

#-# to go dutch #-#

If you 'go dutch' then you split the bill when
you go out with someone for a meal (so each
person pays for themself).

It's often used when a guy asks a girl out on a
date (or vice versa). If he asks her to go to the
cinema or for a meal then maybe she agrees but
only if they go dutch - so she pays for herself.

4. Jokes

A man died and his wife phoned the newspaper to
place a death notice. She called the relevant
department and said, "My husband has died and
I want to place a notice in the paper".

The man at the newspaper said, "Certainly. What
would you like the notice to say?"

The woman replied, "I want you to print
'Bob Manchester is dead' please."

The man said, "But for $25 you are allowed to
print seven words."

The woman thought for a few seconds and then
answered, "OK. Then please print
'Bob Manchester is dead. Car for sale'.

#-#-# http://www.angelfire.com/on/topfen #-#-#

Mary arrived home and said to her husband,
"Bob, the car won't start, but I know what the
problem is."

Bob asked, "So, what's the problem?"

Mary replied, "There's water in the carburettor."

Bob thought for a moment and then said, "Mary,
you've no idea about cars. How can you know
that there's water in the carburettor? I bet you
don't know the carburettor from the accelerator."

"No, there's definitely water in the carburettor,"
Mary insisted.

Bob said, "Okay, honey, that's fine, I'll just go
and take a look at it. Is it in the garage?"

Mary replied, "No, it's in the lake."

#-#-# http://www.angelfire.com/on/topfen #-#-#

This is a quote from the actor George Burns,
talking about getting old:

"First you forget names,
then you forget faces.

Next you forget to pull your zipper up,
and finally, you forget to pull it down."

5. Test answers

1.
b Your cake tastes good.

2.
a He works on the first floor.

3.
b I cut my finger while I was slicing the bread.

4.
a I'm not very interested in physics.

5.
d Are you afraid of dogs?

the newsletter, or if you would like to get it from
a different email address), send a blank email to:
learnenglis-@topica.com
</a>

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
learnenglish-@topica.com
</a>

7. That's all folks!

That's all for a couple of weeks.

;-)

john

topfe-@yahoo.com
</a>

You can read all previous issues of the newsletter at:
<A HREF="http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read">
http://www.topica.com/lists/learnenglish/read
</A>

    *