Welcome Guest!
 Literature
Jest in Literature - The Problem with Shakespeare ...  Gunjan
 Jan 24, 2004 04:35 PST

JEST in LITERATURE
-----------------------------
24th January 2004
IN THIS DIGEST   :

A quick word

The Problem with Shakespeare ...

... How Lincoln overcome the problem

'Great Speaking'
If you're interested in good Public Speaking Tips
and Tips on using Humor in your presentations,
I strongly recommend Tom Antion's 'Great Speaking'
newsletter. With over 1,15,000 subscribers and
fantastic fee structure (It's free) wouldn't you
say it's definitely worth a try? Check it out at
http://www.listpartners.com/cgi-local/subscribe?2606

====> A quick word

It's been a long time since the last issue
of Jest in Literature. I don't know about you,
but I used to have so much fun with Jest in
Literature that I'm not willing to accept it's
death and am willing to try any cabal to get
it going again.

Let's see if this one works.

~ Gunjan

[Note for Newcomers - This list runs on the brain
power of The Doc. Gunjan normally just supplies
the fingers {which means he formats the issues}. Since
The Doc has been doing a Rip Van Winkle on us
Gunjan is upto naughty business.]

Comments or Questions :
mailto:li-@workinghumor.com?Subject=QuickNote

==========**********O**********==========
Have you been putting your audiences to Zzzzzzleep?

Check out www.workinghumor.com/wake.htm

==========**********O**********==========

====> The Problem with Shakespeare

Not that I'm recommending this, but if you were
to sit down and actually read some of the so-called
great writers of the past, you will notice immediately
that, most of the time, they make no sense whatsoever.
Take William Shakespeare, who was a famous writer
during the Shakespearean Era. Most of his material
looks, to the naked eye, like this :

Hamlet : O did'st thine vesper'd dreams 'ere brunt the
                  day?
              Nor can'st thou find'st not plums in frinkle-
                  whey?
Gertrude : What?

It goes on like this for scene after scene, act after act,
until finally the main characters, driven insane by the fact
that they're all speaking gibberish, kill themselves.

What was Shakespeare's problem? How could a person
produce so much writing - 38 plays, 157 sonnets,
2 major narrative poems, and 8 screenplays - and not
manage to produce more than four sentences, total, that
a normal person can understand?

The answer is that Shakespeare did not have word
processing.

~ Not written by Bill Gates as your probably thought,
but by Dave Barry in his book Dave Barry in Cyberspace.

==========**********O**********==========
Does the idea of speaking in front on an audience
make you lose zzzzzleep?

Check out www.workinghumor.com/wake.htm

==========**********O**********==========

===> How Lincoln overcome the problem...

http://www.norvig.com/Gettysburg/index.htm

Send blank email message to:
lit-unsu-@topica.com

TO SUBSCRIBE