Welcome Guest!
 massbike
Huron Ave Car-Ped Crash  xxx xxx
 Dec 15, 1999 08:14 PST
It looks like massbike just got converted from a majordomo list to some
weird list run by this heinous topica.com place.

 Cc: mass-@cyclery.com
Subject: RE: Huron Ave Car-Ped Crash
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:01:18 -0500
Sender: owner-m-@cyclery.com

The issue I meant to raise is whether striping a second lane on a roadway
-
whether a general-purpose lane or a bike lane - makes unsignalized
crosswalks more dangerous. In particular, this case makes me worry that
bike lanes big enough to tempt cars can create hazards unanticipated by
planners only worrying about bike-car interactions when they put in a bike
lane.

(note that the effect of the stripe will be most pronounced when the
roadway
is of the right width to have an ambiguous number of lanes. If it's too
wide, then people will behave as if it's 2 lanes, regardless of paint; if
it's too narrow, they will use only one lane even after you stripe it.)

Also, I'm not trying to say that the blame lies with Cambridge for
striping
the lane, rather than with the driver who broke several laws and (I
believe)
was never cited. I'm merely trying to point out an unintended
consequence.
When I was on the technical subcommittee of the Cambridge Bike Committee,
reviewing lane striping plans, I certainly never thought of this
possibility...

--
Peter Desnoyers pj-@infolibria.com
Infolibria, Inc. (781) 392-2216