Welcome Guest!
 Science Lessons
# 129 - Deck the Halls - 11.15.05  Bi-Weekly Science Lesson Plan List
 Nov 17, 2005 12:59 PST

Hi everyone,

The lesson for this week is a fun chromotography lesson with a holiday
theme. Students will make light bulb shaped chromotography paper and
use markers to add color. Use water soluable makers, Crayola markers
will not separate, I believe Rose Art works well, from what I remember.
Here is what Tracy says on her website:

Christmas Chromatography - Deck the Halls With Science (T.Trimpe, Havana
Junior High, Havana, IL)

Explore chromatography with your students by making a string of "light
bulbs!" Students cut light bulb shapes out of coffee filters or filter
paper and use water-soluble markers, pipe cleaners, and water to create
a colorful display. String the light bulbs on a piece of black yarn to
decorate your hallway or classroom. I've also created a little tune to
the "Deck the Halls" melody! Complete details, a copy of the song, and
light bulb patterns are available in the download.

NOTE: I do my chemistry unit before Christmas vacation. You could adapt
this idea to create Easter eggs, flowers, rainbows, or other objects
depending on the time of year.

Here is the lesson plan in pdf format:
http://www.sciencespot.net/Media/christmasbulbs.pdf

Here are some other chromotography lessons:

Here is a lesson that I wrote that involves calculating Rf:
http://www.middleschoolscience.com/ChromatographyLab.pdf

"Black Magic" - watch what colors come out of black markers:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/black_magic.html

Chromotography T- Shirts:
http://www.swe.org/iac/LP/tshirt_02.html

Have a great week!