Welcome Guest!
 MoBikeFed-Chat
Sad news - Jim DeBlois of Cape Girardeau passes away on
Colorado bicycle tour
 Brent Hugh
 Jun 14, 2011 13:41 PDT
Some sad news today--Jim DeBlois of Cape Girardeau, an avid cyclist
from the Cape Girardeau area, active in the Velo Girardeau bicycle
club, and a MoBikeFed member and supporter, was killed yesterday
while descending a mountain pass during the Ride the Rockies bicycle
tour in the Colorado mountains.

My most vivid memory of Jim was at Bicycle & Pedestrian Day at the
Capitol a few years ago. Jim and his wife, Renate, spent the day
visiting legislators. Jim was wearing a tie with a pattern made of
small bicycles (but subtle--from a distance it looks like a regular
tie and only when you get within a few inches do you see the pattern
is made of bicycles).

Near the end of the day, Jim, Renate, and I were chatting and Jim
asked if I own a bicycle tie. When I said no, Jim took his tie off
right then and there and insisted on giving it to me .

I've been wearing it ever since when meeting with officials or
legislators about bicycle-related issues--it's my "lucky" tie.

Thanks, Jim--because your tie has brought MoBikeFed a lot of good
luck in the past couple of years, and we needed it!

Our thoughts are with the DeBlois family and friends at this difficult time.

------------

<http://www.semissourian.com/story/1736199.html>http://www.semissourian.com/story/1736199.html

Cape Girardeau man dies on Colorado bike tour

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 ~ Updated 2:06 PM
The Associated Press
MINTURN, Colo. (AP) -- A 67-year-old Missouri man who died after
crashing on a western Colorado mountain pass in the Ride the Rockies
bicycle tour has been identified.

Jim Deblois of Cape Girardeau, was found Monday on Tennessee Pass, a
road peaking at 10,424 feet in central Colorado. Eagle County coroner
Kara Bettis released his name Tuesday and said an autopsy was being conducted.

Bettis said no one saw him fall.

The Denver Post reported Deblois fell and hit his head while
descending the pass on the second day of the 412-mile bicycle tour.

The newspaper sponsors the tour, which is in its 26th year. About
2,000 riders from 46 states and 10 foreign countries are participating.

---

The Denver Post has more details:

<http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18265824>http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18265824

Missouri man dies in Ride the Rockies crash

By The Denver Post
POSTED: 06/13/2011 05:42:34 PM MDT

A 67-year-old man from Missouri died during Ride the Rockies today
after falling and sustaining a head injury on the descent of Tennessee Pass.

His name has not been released, as his wife, who also was riding in
the 412-mile bicycle tour, was trying to notify their children and
other family this afternoon, said the event's tour-director, Chandler Smith.

The crash happened on U.S. Highway 24 in Eagle County on a leg from
Buena Vista to Edwards.

The fall was not witnessed, as his wife pedaled ahead of him, Smith said.

One of 55 medics riding in the tour was the first to find the injured
man and began to assist before other medics and support arrived, Smith said.

He was rushed to Vail Valley Medical Center by ambulance.

Smith said this was the couple's first time to participate in Ride the Rockies.

Smith said it was the first fatality in his four years as tour director.

"We have had some pretty significant accidents, but this is the first
fatality," he said.

In 2006, 65-year-old Diane Woolwine of Boulder was killed when she
was hit by a motor home on U.S. Highway 50 in Salida after she veered
off the tour's official route.

"We go to great lengths to make it as safe as possible, and we have a
lot of medical care out there," Smith said.

Ride the Rockies began Sunday in Crested Butte and concludes Friday
in Georgetown, by way of Steamboat Springs and Granby.

The ride is in its 26th year, with more than 2,000 riders from 46
states and 10 foreign countries.

The Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation is a statewide
coalition of bicyclists, walkers, runners, trail organizations and
related businesses which represents over 30,000 Missourians and
advocates on behalf of the state's two million ardent bicyclists and
six million walkers.

Join MoBikeFed's advocacy alert network:

http://mobikefed.org/email.php#announce

Dr. Brent Hugh, LCI #1335
Executive Director
Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation
Dire-@MoBikeFed.org
Phone: 816-695-6736
Fax: 210-579-2265
www.MoBikeFed.org