Welcome Guest!
 Moeran
VIOLIN CONCERTO  MIke Jones
 Jul 26, 2009 12:20 PDT
Dear Moeranites,

                                  I would be grateful if you could let me
have any available details of performances of the Violin Concerto by
Laurance Turner with the Halle Orchestra. Laurence was leader of The Halle
from the war years to circa 1958 and was my violin teacher for 2 years from
58-60.

I remember him championing the work and playing it at a Halle concert,
although I could not get to hear it. He had a very "English" sound which
one can hear on his orchestral solos from the Halle recordings in the 1950s
with Barbirolli, and which would suit the piece.

I have the Campoli recording which is terrific as he was a super violinist,
but one could never mistake his Bel-Canto tone as anything but Campoli.

Any details would be gratefully received.

Best Wishes,

   Mike Jones