Welcome Guest!
 mpl
Sonnet 663 Reflections on Alma 12:36  Tom
 Sep 22, 2013 06:35 PDT

Alma 12:36
36 And now, my brethren, behold I say unto you, that if ye will
harden your hearts ye shall not enter into the rest of the Lord;
therefore your iniquity provoketh him that he sendeth down his
wrath upon you as in the first provocation, yea, according to his
word in the last provocation as well as the first, to the
everlasting destruction of your souls; therefore, according to
his word, unto the last death, as well as the first.

Sonnet 663 Reflections on Alma 12:36 and Psalm 95: 7-11
By Tom Matkin

The God in heaven offered up a plan
Complete with mercy and with great reward
And yet a third, before the plan began
Rejected it and thus provoked the Lord.

And seeing plagues of death, and frogs and hail
And passing through the Red Sea all dry shod
And after much of manna and some quail
The Israelites would still provoke their God.

And everyone of us must face this test
Of mercy offered freely with a path
With yoke and burden, light and easy blessed
The strait and narrow way from heaven's wrath.

I'll try to learn a lesson from the past:
No part of provocation, first or last.