Welcome Guest!
 Mumia Columns
!*3/30-31, Celebrate Sis. Pam Africa Reception and Colloquium  nattyreb
 Mar 15, 2012 05:08 PST

--Apple-Mail-33--828694809

Pam Africa, Our Revolutionary Daughter of the Dust, Her Life and Work
Public Event =B7 By Anthony Monteiro and Tanay Lynn Harris

March 30 at 3:00pm until March 31 at 5:00pm

Charles Blockson Collection at Temple University and The Historic Church =
of the Advocate on 18th and Diamond Streets, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

International Women=92s Month is a special time to celebrate the lives =
of women whose lives have bettered humanity and have advanced the causes =
of peace, social justice and the cause of working people. The early =
women=92s rights advocates were also fighters against slavery, for the =
betterment of the working classes, and for the freedom of political =
prisoners. By any measure Pam Africa=92s life stands as a contemporary =
figure in this brilliant lineage. One need only reflect upon Harriet =
Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Emma Goldman, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, Assata =
Sakur and one=92s mind goes right to the name Pam Africa as a modern day =
figure of this magnitude. Perhaps because she lives among us and we see =
her most days, or receive calls or other notices from her that we fail =
to recognize her significance. However, Pam is a world significant =
freedom and social justice fighter. For these and other reasons we are =
proposing a one day colloquium to scientifically and humanistically =
investigate the life and work of Pam Africa as a way to understand and =
explain to humanity the geography of this life, how it emerged, the =
social, racial and class dynamics that gave rise to it and the moral, =
religious, spiritual and ideological influences that shaped it. The =
colloquium is at once a celebration of an extraordinary life and a study =
of leadership. It is, also, a contribution to the younger generation=92s =
knowledge of our common history and struggle, of how the extraordinary =
emerges from the life world of African American proletariat, and how =
political and moral courage springs from struggle.

A reception will take place on Friday, March 30, 2012 at the Blockson =
Collection in Sullivan Hall on Temple University's Campus from 3pm until =
6pm.=20

The colloquium will take place on March 31, 2012 at the Historic Church =
of the Advocate , at 18th and Diamond Streets in Philadelphia. It will =
go from 11AM to 5PM and consist of four panels that will investigate the =
following areas of Pam life: 1. Pam Africa as Jeanette Knighton: her =
life before Move and before The International Concerned Family and =
Friends of Mumia Abu Jamal: 2. Move and The International Concerned =
Family and Friends of Mumia Abu Jamal and the creation of a =
Revolutionary Activist and Strategist: 3. Pam Africa as a Fighter for =
International Human Rights: 4. The Spiritual, Religious and Moral =
Foundations and Influences on the Life of Pam Africa.=20

The Colloquium will feature a special keynote address by Mumia Abu Jamal =
and a final reflection by Pam Africa. Among the invited speakers will be =
Mumia Abu Jamal, Ramona Africa, Phile Chionesa, Dr. Angela Davis, Dr =
Cornel West, attorney Michael Coard, Suzanne Ross, Jamila K Wilson, =
Iresha Picot, Tanay Lynn Harris, Dr Johanna Fernandez, Dr Marc Lamont =
Hill, Buck, Michael Abdul and Betsy Piet.

Some might ask, =93Why study Pam?=94 or =93Aren=92t you being too =
intrusive, and aren=92t you objectifying a person we know and live with =
everyday?=94 The answer is we want to understand Pam in order to =
replicate her, to for the future reproduce leaders such as she. As such =
, as we look at Pam Africa we will also be looking to future struggles =
for peace and social justice and to our common future. Also we wish to =
say to the world that she is part of us and we recognize her and her =
extraordinary contributions to humanity.

-------------------
DREAD TIMES - Dedicated to the free flow of information - =
http://www.dreadtimes.com=20

--Apple-Mail-33--828694809

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: 13px;">Pam Africa, Our =
Revolutionary Daughter of the Dust, Her Life and Work<br>Public =
Event =B7 By Anthony Monteiro and Tanay Lynn =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: 13px;">March 30 at =
3:00pm until March 31 at =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: 13px;">Charles Blockson =
Collection at Temple University and The Historic Church of the =
Advocate on 18th and Diamond Streets, Philadelphia, =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: =
13px;">International Women=92s Month is a special time to celebrate =
[...]
struggle.<br><br>A reception will take place on Friday, March 30, =
2012 at the Blockson Collection in Sullivan Hall on Temple =
University's Campus from 3pm until 6pm. <br><br>The colloquium will =
take place on March 31, 2012 at the Historic Church of the Advocate =
, at 18th and Diamond Streets in Philadelphia. It will go from 11AM =
to 5PM and consist of four panels that will investigate =
the following areas of Pam life: 1. Pam Africa as Jeanette =
Knighton: her life before Move and before The International =
Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu Jamal: 2. Move and The =
International Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu Jamal =
and the creation of a Revolutionary Activist and Strategist: 3. Pam =
Africa as a Fighter for International Human Rights: 4. The =
Spiritual, Religious and Moral Foundations and Influences on the =
Life of Pam Africa. <br><br>The Colloquium will feature a =
special keynote address by Mumia Abu Jamal and a final reflection =
by Pam Africa. Among the invited speakers will be Mumia Abu Jamal, =
Ramona Africa, Phile Chionesa, Dr. Angela Davis, Dr Cornel West, =
attorney Michael Coard, Suzanne Ross, Jamila K Wilson, Iresha =
Picot, Tanay Lynn Harris, Dr Johanna Fernandez, Dr Marc =
Lamont Hill, Buck, Michael Abdul and Betsy Piet.<br><br>Some might =
ask, =93Why study Pam?=94 or =93Aren=92t you being too intrusive, =
and aren=92t you objectifying a person we know and live with =
everyday?=94 The answer is we want to understand Pam in order to =
replicate her, to for the future  reproduce leaders such as =
she. As such , as we look at Pam Africa we will also be looking =
to future struggles for peace and social justice and to our =
common future. Also we wish to say to the world that she is part of =
us and we recognize her and her extraordinary contributions =
TIMES - Dedicated to the free flow of information - <a =
href=3D"http://www.dreadtimes.com">http://www.dreadtimes.com</a> <br>=

--Apple-Mail-33--828694809--