Welcome Guest!
 LTUDelphi
Re: Ridge Top Wind Advisory  Daniel J. Alberts
 Jan 21, 2005 10:04 PST

Dan,

Thanks for the compliments and the corrections.

As you could tell, I focused my research on the noise impact, and just
skimmed over system design. So the two errors you pointed out don't surprise
me.

If you (or anyone) find more corrections, please post them to the discussion
list. One of the reasons for the list is let everyone conduct additional
research and bring their knowledge to the group; so that the group is not
totally dependant on any one person for all their information.

-Daniel

Daniel Alberts
Project Leader
Lawrence Tech's Wind Delphi Project
www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/delphi_wind.asp
dja1-@nethere.com

 From: Dan Boone <ddanb-@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 05:39:38 -0800 (PST)
To: "Daniel J. Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com>
Subject: Re: Ridge Top Wind Advisory

Hi Dan,

You did a great job of synthesizing lots of info in your video
presentation. Do you know if it would be possible to copy the video
onto a CD(s) for distribution? I believe this information would be
very helpful to others, and I would like to share it with folks that
may not have access to high-speed internet.

I realize that in covering so much in a brief time it is easy to
confuse and misstate info. While your research was generally
excellent, I found one point that you covered which you may want to
double-check your sources to determine accuracy.

You mentioned that the "smallest" turbines to be installed in MI in the
near future would likely be the GE 3.6MW machines. However, you stated
that these turbines would only have 100-ft-long blades and would be
situated on towers that would be only 60 meters tall. But GE's
brochure for this machine lists the individual blade length is 52 m
(closer to 200 ft than 100 ft). Also, the tower hub height would need
to be much higher than 60 meters given 52 m blades - probably 90 to 100
m. Here is the weblink to GE's brochure:
http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/wind_turbines/en/36mw/index.htm
.

The size of what I believe is still the largest wind turbine in the
world is much larger than what you implied - close to 180 m
(http://www.diabgroup.com/europe/literature/e_pdf_files/e_pia_pdf/wind/e112.
pd> f
 and http://www.jxj.com/magsandj/rew/2001_03/great_expectations.html ).

In addition, it may have been very helpful had you reviewed the
locations for and types of wind energy development that are likely in
the future within MI. You made the statement that only turbines of 3.5
to 5 MW would be built in MI in the future. But it is my understanding
that these much larger turbines are nearly all designed for wind
conditions found over or near extensive areas of water (i.e., offshore
or along coastlines - where wind conditions are different than inland
sites). However, the "thumb" of MI may have developable wind resources
in parts of its interior (Class 3-4), which would likely require
smaller turbines - 1.5-2.x MW nacelles. There is a good map for MI
showing where the most windy sites are located, and the following
weblink provides this map as well as some discussion about the wind
resource:
http://www.eere.energy.gov/windandhydro/windpoweringamerica/maps_template.asp?
stateab=mi
.

Dan Boone

--- "Daniel J. Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com> wrote:

 Dan,

Glad to have you aboard.

Before you start posting the noise-related data, I'd suggest you view
the
streaming video of the teleconference,

http://www.ltuvitrc.com/alls17.ram

and download the handout from Dec 3rd.
http://www.ltu.edu/cm/attach/FF02D7D6-5A9F-4557-9A28-ABF0E9E57299/NoiseImpac
 tHandout.pdf

This will give you a good idea of how much information I was able to
convey
to the participants. I will post the results from the Dec 3rd survey
on our
web site early next week.

-Daniel

Daniel Alberts
Project Leader
Lawrence Tech's Wind Delphi Project
www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/delphi_wind.asp
dja1-@nethere.com
home: (586) 939-4325
office: (313)235-5826
cell: (586) 719-0217

 From: Dan Boone <ddanb-@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:46:50 -0800 (PST)
To: "Daniel J. Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com>

Daniel,

I'm pleased to participate from MD and glad that you believe my
doing
 so may be helpful. Hopefully I was successful in registering on
your
 listserv so that now I can participate in the discussion group. I
plan
 to post the noise info soon, as you requested.

As far as my affiliation, I am a conservation biologist who is
concerned about the corporate abuses of wind energy development in
my
 region. While I also am an advocate for wind energy, my experience
with its "industrial" form has informed me about many concerns that
are
 not widely known - direct mortality from huge machines being only
one.

Dan
--- "Daniel J. Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com> wrote:

 Dan,

I have no problem with people from out of state participating. In
fact, it
would be very helpful to have some subject matter experts help
with

 the
discussion.

We do have webcast capability. However the transmission is only
one

 way. You
could view the presentation, but wouldn't be able to participate
in

 the
discussion. I'll post the instructions for connecting on our web
site

 about
a week before the presentation.

It might also be helpful for some one other than myself present
their

 perspective on the noise issue. So please feel free to join the
electronic
discussion list. I'll post the results of the first survey early
next

 week.

By the way, what is your background? Are you a wind energy
advocate

 or a bat
conservationist?

 From: Dan Boone <ddanb-@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:00:48 -0800 (PST)
To: "Daniel J. Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com>

Hi Daniel,

I'm writing to inquire about the presentation you are preparing
for

 the
 upcoming "Delphi" effort involving wildlife/habitat impacts due

 industrial wind turbines. I found out about this effort after
reading
 materials posted on the weblink that you provided in
correspondence

 with Dr. Tuttle.

I would be interested in participating but was not sure if this
upcoming teleconference (Feb. 14) regarding wind energy
development

 and
 potential wildlife impacts will be limited only to MI folks?

Also, if you are interested in obtaining additional info about
noise
 and wind turbines I would be happy to send you a short summary of
the
 information I have reviewed and developed.

Regards,

Dan Boone
301-704-5632

--- "Daniel J. Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com> wrote:

 Dr. Tuttle,

This was *very* helpful. I can use both the predictions and the
recommendations in my presentation.

Thank you.

From: "Merlin Tuttle" <mtut-@batcon.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:22:23 -0600
To: <Alex_-@fws.gov>
Cc: <ddanb-@yahoo.com>, "Lucile Miller"
<lucile-@mac.com>,

 "Daniel
Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com>, "Ed Arnett"
<earn-@austin.rr.com>

 Subject: FW: Ridge Top Wind Advisory

Dear Alex,

Here is the pdf file that you suggested we put on letterhead. I
hope

 all
concerned find it useful.

Thanks,