Welcome Guest!
 LTUDelphi
RE: question about wind turbine tower design  Stanton, Thomas S (DLEG)
 Mar 30, 2005 06:32 PST

Daniel and all:

My understanding is that lattice towers have been abandoned by utility-scale wind generator developers for a variety of reasons, including the potential attraction of birds to nest on the lattice structure. I doubt that's because of any definitive engineering constraint (i.e., whether a lattice tower can be made capable of supporting the weight of a large nacelle), but it does seem to be fait accompli. Lattice towers still might be employed for small-scale wind generators, though. I'll copy John Dunlop and Larry Flowers, and we'll see what those experts have to say.

--Tom Stanton

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Alberts [mailto:galactic-@nethere.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:06 AM
To: Michigan Wind Working Group; hsgo-@mtu.edu; alin-@nmu.edu;
e-@naturesecho.com; elimy-@hotmail.com; obcb-@aol.com;
sdeg-@nmu.edu; sghi-@mtu.edu; spar-@voyager.net;
whyl-@aol.com; wisco-@yahoo.com
Subject: [Delphi] question about wind turbine tower design

Hey folks,

I have been reviewing the responses to the Wildlife first survey and the
participants brought up several interesting questions which I will include
in the next round.

Naturally, one of the questions asked was, "Should we prohibit lattice
towers?" But before I add this question to the second round, I want to
verify something I think I heard in the Wind Working Group.

Is it true that lattice towers can NOT support the weight of 1.5 MW or
larger turbines?

-Daniel

Daniel Alberts
Lawrence Tech's Wind Energy Delphi