Welcome Guest!
 LTUDelphi
Wildlife Delphi: Round 2 1/2...  Daniel J. Alberts
 May 19, 2005 10:52 PDT

--MS_Mac_OE_3199355493_11366291_MIME_Part

Everyone,

Thank you for participating in LTU's Delphi Inquiry into Wind Turbines'
Impact on Wildlife. The second survey has yielded some very interesting
results. The participants demonstrated unanimous (10 out of 10) or
significant (8 out of 10) agreement on 15 out of 24 questions. Three of the
questions on which you demonstrated agreement are:

Should wind turbines be prohibited within a certain distance (onshore) of
Michiganšs coastline? (Yes: 8, No: 2)

Should the Michigan Siting Guidelines recommend a minimum distance from
caves where bats are known to hibernate?(Yes: 10, No: 0)

Should the Michigan Siting Guidelines recommend a minimum distance from bird
sanctuaries? (Yes: 10, No: 0)

Unfortunately, there was no agreement on the specific distance that turbines
should be banned from the shoreline, and we didn't ask what distance
turbines should be banned from bird sanctuaries or bat hibernacula turbines.

We don't have time to complete a third iteration. (We must deliver the final
report on May 26th.) But I would like to ask two follow-up questions:

At this time, do you have enough information to determine what should be the
minimum distance between a wind turbine and either a bird sanctuary or a bat
hibernaculum?
Do you believe a third Delphi survey on this subject could demonstrate
significant agreement (8 out of 10) on what those distances should be?

Please respond by Monday, May 23rd.

Thank you

Daniel Alberts
Lawrence Tech's Wind Energy Delphi
www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/delphi_wind.asp
dja1-@nethere.com

--MS_Mac_OE_3199355493_11366291_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Wildlife Delphi: Round 2 1/2...</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Everyone, <BR>
<BR>
Thank you for participating in LTU's Delphi Inquiry into Wind Turbines' Impact on Wildlife. The second survey has yielded some very interesting results.  The participants demonstrated unanimous (10 out of 10) or significant (8 out of 10) agreement on 15 out of 24 questions. Three of the questions on which you demonstrated agreement are: <BR>
<BR>
<UL><LI>Should wind turbines be prohibited within a certain distance (onshore) of Michiganšs coastline? (Yes: 8, No: 2)<BR>
</UL><BR>
<UL><LI>Should the Michigan Siting Guidelines recommend a minimum distance from caves where bats are known to hibernate?(Yes: 10, No: 0)<BR>
</UL><BR>
<UL><LI>Should the Michigan Siting Guidelines recommend a minimum distance from bird sanctuaries? (Yes: 10, No: 0)<BR>
</UL><BR>
Unfortunately, there was no agreement on the specific distance that turbines should be banned from the shoreline, and we didn't ask what distance turbines should be banned from bird sanctuaries or bat hibernacula turbines. <BR>
<BR>
We don't have time to complete a third iteration. (We must deliver the final report on May 26th.) But I would like to ask  two  follow-up questions: <BR>
<BR>
<OL><LI>At this time, do you have enough information to determine what should be the minimum distance between a wind turbine and either a bird sanctuary or a bat hibernaculum?
<LI>Do you believe a third Delphi survey on this subject could demonstrate significant agreement (8 out of 10) on what those distances should be?<BR>
</OL><BR>
Please respond by Monday, May 23rd.  <BR>
<BR>
Thank you <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Daniel Alberts<BR>
Lawrence Tech's Wind Energy Delphi<BR>
www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/delphi_wind.asp<BR>
dja1-@nethere.com<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3199355493_11366291_MIME_Part--