Welcome Guest!
 LTUDelphi
FW: Wildlife Delphi: Round 2 1/2...  Daniel J. Alberts
 May 23, 2005 20:21 PDT

Burr Fisher is not part of our discussion list, but he works for the US Fish
and Wildlife Service. Below is his response to the questions I asked last
week.

-Daniel

Daniel Alberts
Lawrence Tech's Wind Energy Delphi
www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/delphi_wind.asp
dja1-@nethere.com

----------
 From: Burr_F-@fws.gov
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:40:26 -0400
To: "Daniel J. Alberts" <dja1-@nethere.com>
Subject: Re: Wildlife Delphi: Round 2 1/2...

Daniel,
No and no.

"Daniel J.
Alberts"
<dja1-@nethere.                                          To
com>                      Michigan Wind Working Group
<mw-@topica.com>,
05/19/2005 01:51          <hsgo-@mtu.edu>,
PM                        <alin-@nmu.edu>,
<e-@naturesecho.com>,
<elimy-@hotmail.com>,
<obcb-@aol.com>,
<sdeg-@nmu.edu>,
<spar-@voyager.net>,
<whyl-@aol.com>,
<wisco-@yahoo.com>,
<thes-@hotmail.com>,
<Jessica_-@fws.gov>
cc
<mtut-@batcon.org>,
<Koc-@michigan.gov>,
<Craig_Cz-@fws.gov>,
<Mike_De-@fws.gov>,
<Burr_F-@fws.gov>,
<Jack_Din-@fws.gov>
Subject
Wildlife Delphi: Round 2 1/2...

Everyone,

Thank you for participating in LTU's Delphi Inquiry into Wind Turbines'
Impact on Wildlife. The second survey has yielded some very interesting
results. The participants demonstrated unanimous (10 out of 10) or
significant (8 out of 10) agreement on 15 out of 24 questions. Three of the
questions on which you demonstrated agreement are:

Should wind turbines be prohibited within a certain distance
(onshore) of Michiganšs coastline? (Yes: 8, No: 2)

Should the Michigan Siting Guidelines recommend a minimum distance
from caves where bats are known to hibernate?(Yes: 10, No: 0)

Should the Michigan Siting Guidelines recommend a minimum distance
from bird sanctuaries? (Yes: 10, No: 0)

Unfortunately, there was no agreement on the specific distance that
turbines should be banned from the shoreline, and we didn't ask what
distance turbines should be banned from bird sanctuaries or bat hibernacula
turbines.

We don't have time to complete a third iteration. (We must deliver the
final report on May 26th.) But I would like to ask two follow-up
questions:

1. At this time, do you have enough information to determine what should
be the minimum distance between a wind turbine and either a bird
sanctuary or a bat hibernaculum?
2. Do you believe a third Delphi survey on this subject could
demonstrate significant agreement (8 out of 10) on what those
distances should be?

Please respond by Monday, May 23rd.

Thank you