Welcome Guest!
 Nervenet
"More Music For Films" also has incorrect titles (from Robert Phan)  ROBER-@aol.com
 Mar 27, 2005 18:04 PST

--part1_e6.668a5508.2f78c043_boundary

Hi to all,

Sunny and windy greetings from Hawaii!

It has been a while since I made a posting ... ever since the newsletter has
a new server home. I finally decided to get out of lurking mode with the many
recent postings about the errors on "More Music For Films".

As astutely pointed out by many fans, track 18 is identical in content to
track 20: it's the same track "Approaching Taidu". However, track 18 is 3:24 and
track 20 is 3:27 ... and I'm still scratching my head about this difference of
3 seconds.

Hence, tracks 15 through 21 of "More Music For Films" have all been
previously released on the "Instrumental" box set by Brian Eno. Since tracks 18 and 20
are identical, we're all still looking for a CD release of "Climate Study"!

As stated by John who luckily owns an original copy of the director's edition
of "Music For Films", there are more errors. Yes, I completely agree that
"Dark Waters", track 4 on "More Music For Films", is called "Deep Waters" on the
director's edition.

To make things easy to follow, I'm listing the 27 tracks on the director's
edition along with their lengths. I'll also list the alternate titles since
Brian Eno renamed a few of them.

//// DIRECTOR'S EDITION \\\\

1 Becalmed 2:03 ==== extract taken from "Another Green World"
2 Deep Waters 1:05
3 There Is Nobody 1:43 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"
4 Spain 1:36 xxxx renamed "Aragon" on "Music For Films (regular edition)"
5 Untitled 2:06
6 The Last Door 1:29
7 Chemin De Fer 1:50
8 Dark Waters 2:11
9 Sparrowfall (1) 1:11 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"
10 Sparrowfall (2) 1:44 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"
11 Sparrowfall (3) 1:24 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"
12 Evening Star 1:35 ==== extract taken from "Evening Star"
13 Another Green World 1:41 xxxx taken from "Another Green World"

14 In Dark Trees 1:55 ==== extract taken from "Another Green World"
15 Fuseli 1:41
16 Melancholy Waltz 1:47
17 Northern Lights 2:01
18 From The Coast 1:24 xxxx renamed "Inland Sea" on "Music For Films (regular
edition)"
19 Shell 1:25
20 Little Fishes 1:45 xxxx full version of track from "Another Green World"
21 Empty Landscape 1:26
22 Reactor 1:41
23 The Secret 1:14
24 Don't Look Back 1:00
25 Marseilles 1:29
26 Final Sunset 2:36 ==== extract taken from "Music For Films (regular
edition)"
27 Juliet 1:37 ==== extract of "Spirits Drifting" taken from "Another Green
World"

"More Music For Films" omits brief extracts (tracks 1, 12, 14, 26, 27) on the
director's edition. "Juliet" (track 27) on the director's edition was called
"Spirits Drifting" on "Another Green World".

"More Music For Films" also omits identical copies (tracks 3, 4, 9, 10, 11,
13, 20) that were subsequently released on "Music For Films (regular edition)".
"Spain" (track 4) on the director's edition was renamed "Aragon" on the
regular edition and the length of "Little Fishes" (track 20) on the director's
edition is longer than on "Another Green World" where there's a fade-in from
"Sombre Reptiles" to "Little Fishes".

"More Music For Films" incorrectly lists track 8 as "From The Coast".
Specifically, "From The Coast" (track 18) on the director's edition was renamed
"Inland Sea" on the regular edition and it is not included on "More Music For
Films".

Let's stop here and summarize. A total of 13 tracks (tracks 1, 3, 4, 9, 10,
11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 20, 26, 27) on the director's edition were not included on
"More Music For Films".

The remaining 14 tracks are included on "More Music For Films". I've added
the symbol
"++++" next to them in the following list.

//// DIRECTOR'S EDITION INCLUDED ON "MORE MUSIC FOR FILMS" \\\\

2 Deep Waters 1:05 ++++
5 Untitled 2:06 <++++>
6 The Last Door 1:29 ++++
7 Chemin De Fer 1:50 <++++>
8 Dark Waters 2:11 ++++

15 Fuseli 1:41 ++++ renamed "A Measured Room" on "Music For Films (regular
edition)"
16 Melancholy Waltz 1:47 ++++
17 Northern Lights 2:01 ++++ renamed "Quartz" on "Music For Films (regular
edition)"
19 Shell 1:25 ++++
21 Empty Landscape 1:26 <++++>
22 Reactor 1:41 <++++>
23 The Secret 1:14 <++++>
24 Don't Look Back 1:00 <++++>
25 Marseilles 1:29 <++++>

I've also added brackets "<>" to the "++++" symbol for the 7 tracks that were
previously released on the "Instrumental" box set by Brian Eno. These tracks
(tracks 5, 7, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25) on the director's edition are identical to
those on "More Music For Films".

So there's really 7 tracks that most of us are hearing for the first time.
I'll add brief comments about these tracks ... including the incorrect titles
listed on "More Music For Films".

i) "Deep Waters" is not shown on the "More Music For Films" track list.
However, it is included as track 4 and it's INCORRECTLY titled "Dark Waters".

ii) "The Last Door" is an alternate version of "Spain". "Spain" on the
director's edition was renamed "Aragon" on the regular edition.

iii) "Dark Waters" is INCORRECTLY listed on "More Music For Films" as track
4. It's actually track 7 and it's INCORRECTLY titled "Northern Lights".

iv) "Fuseli" was renamed "A Measured Room" on the regular edition. Also,
"Fuseli" is the full version and it is slightly longer than "A Measured Room".

v) "Melancholy Waltz" is somewhat of a surprise. When I first heard a bootleg
of the director's edition, I felt the use of a mandolin was so out-of-place
for Brian Eno ... who sure knows how to surprise all of us fans.

vi) "Northern Lights" was renamed "Quartz" on the regular edition. "Northern
Lights" is INCORRECTLY listed on "More Music For Films" as track 7 and it's
actually track 8 which is INCORRECTLY titled "From The Coast".

vii) "Shell" is a true ambient gem. I believe that it was used in the
"Sebastiane" soundtrack ... although I'm kind of reluctant to sit through another
viewing of this cult classic just to confirm this.

If you're still reading, I really want to thank you for bearing with me. It
took me awhile to sort through the above mistakes on the "More Music For Films"
track listing which SHOULD BE as follows:

1. Untitled
2. The Last Door
3. Chemin De Fer
4. DEEP WATERS !!!!
5. Fuseli
6. Melancholy Waltz
7. DARK WATERS !!!!
8. NORTHERN LIGHTS !!!!
9. Shell
10. Empty Landscape
11. Reactor
12. The Secret
13. Don't Look Back
14. Marseilles
15. The Dove
16. Roman Twilight
17. Dawn, Marshland
18. APPROACHING TAIDU !!!!
19. Drift Study
20. Approaching Taidu
21. Always Returning (II)

I personally feel that the mistakes in the track listing can be easily
corrected through a simple reprinting. However, the double inclusion of "Approaching
Taidu" will take a bit longer to sort out and I doubt that this can be done
in time for the Japanese release of "More Music For Films".

Finally, I feel that Virgin Records should have re-released both "Music For
Films" and "Apollo - Atmospheres & Soundtracks" as double CD sets. I'm sure all
of us would prefer hearing the director's editions of both "Music For Films"
and "Music For Films II" ... even though quite a few tracks are excerpts ...
rather than getting a stripped down version called "More Music For Films" which
is hastily and incorrectly assembled.

That's all for now. Warmest thanks again for your uncanny ears and infinite
dedication to all things Eno.

Have a peaceful new week!

Aloha, Robert Phan.

--part1_e6.668a5508.2f78c043_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Hi to all,<BR>
<BR>
Sunny and windy greetings from Hawaii!<BR>
<BR>
It has been a while since I made a posting ... ever since the newsletter has a new server home. I finally decided to get out of lurking mode with the many recent postings about the errors on "More Music For Films".<BR>
<BR>
As astutely pointed out by many fans, track 18 is identical in content to track 20: it's the same track "Approaching Taidu". However, track 18 is 3:24 and track 20 is 3:27 ... and I'm still scratching my head about this difference of 3 seconds.<BR>
<BR>
Hence, tracks 15 through 21 of "More Music For Films" have all been previously released on the "Instrumental" box set by Brian Eno. Since tracks 18 and 20 are identical, we're all still looking for a CD release of "Climate Study"!<BR>
<BR>
As stated by John who luckily owns an original copy of the director's edition of "Music For Films", there are more errors. Yes, I completely agree that "Dark Waters", track 4 on "More Music For Films", is called "Deep Waters" on the director's edition.<BR>
<BR>
To make things easy to follow, I'm listing the 27 tracks on the director's edition along with their lengths. I'll also list the alternate titles since Brian Eno renamed a few of them.<BR>
<BR>
//// DIRECTOR'S EDITION \\\\<BR>
<BR>
1 Becalmed 2:03 ==== extract taken from "Another Green World"<BR>
2 Deep Waters 1:05 <BR>
3 There Is Nobody 1:43 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
4 Spain 1:36 xxxx renamed "Aragon" on "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
5 Untitled 2:06 <BR>
6 The Last Door 1:29 <BR>
7 Chemin De Fer 1:50 <BR>
8 Dark Waters 2:11 <BR>
9 Sparrowfall (1) 1:11 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
10 Sparrowfall (2) 1:44 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
11 Sparrowfall (3) 1:24 xxxx taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
12 Evening Star 1:35 ==== extract taken from "Evening Star"<BR>
13 Another Green World 1:41  xxxx taken from "Another Green World"<BR>
<BR>
14 In Dark Trees 1:55 ==== extract taken from "Another Green World"<BR>
15 Fuseli 1:41 <BR>
16 Melancholy Waltz 1:47 <BR>
17 Northern Lights 2:01 <BR>
18 From The Coast 1:24 xxxx renamed "Inland Sea" on "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
19 Shell 1:25 <BR>
20 Little Fishes 1:45 xxxx full version of track from "Another Green World"<BR>
21 Empty Landscape 1:26 <BR>
22 Reactor 1:41 <BR>
23 The Secret 1:14 <BR>
24 Don't Look Back 1:00 <BR>
25 Marseilles 1:29 <BR>
26 Final Sunset 2:36 ==== extract taken from "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
27 Juliet 1:37 ==== extract of "Spirits Drifting" taken from "Another Green World"<BR>
<BR>
"More Music For Films" omits brief extracts (tracks 1, 12, 14, 26, 27) on the director's edition. "Juliet" (track 27) on the director's edition was called "Spirits Drifting" on "Another Green World".<BR>
<BR>
"More Music For Films" also omits identical copies (tracks 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 13, 20) that were subsequently released on "Music For Films (regular edition)". "Spain" (track 4) on the director's edition was renamed "Aragon" on the regular edition and the length of "Little Fishes" (track 20) on the director's edition is longer than on "Another Green World" where there's a fade-in from "Sombre Reptiles" to "Little Fishes". <BR>
<BR>
"More Music For Films" incorrectly lists track 8 as "From The Coast". Specifically, "From The Coast" (track 18) on the director's edition was renamed "Inland Sea" on the regular edition and it is not included on "More Music For Films".<BR>
<BR>
Let's stop here and summarize. A total of 13 tracks (tracks 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 20, 26, 27) on the director's edition were not included on "More Music For Films".<BR>
<BR>
The remaining 14 tracks are included on "More Music For Films". I've added the symbol <BR>
"++++" next to them in the following list.<BR>
<BR>
//// DIRECTOR'S EDITION INCLUDED ON "MORE MUSIC FOR FILMS" \\\\<BR>
<BR>
2 Deep Waters 1:05 ++++<BR>
5 Untitled 2:06 <++++><BR>
6 The Last Door 1:29 ++++<BR>
7 Chemin De Fer 1:50 <++++><BR>
8 Dark Waters 2:11 ++++<BR>
<BR>
15 Fuseli 1:41 ++++ renamed "A Measured Room" on "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
16 Melancholy Waltz 1:47 ++++<BR>
17 Northern Lights 2:01 ++++ renamed "Quartz" on "Music For Films (regular edition)"<BR>
19 Shell 1:25 ++++<BR>
21 Empty Landscape 1:26 <++++><BR>
22 Reactor 1:41 <++++><BR>
23 The Secret 1:14 <++++><BR>
24 Don't Look Back 1:00 <++++><BR>
25 Marseilles 1:29 <++++><BR>
<BR>
I've also added brackets "<>" to the "++++" symbol for the 7 tracks that were previously released on the "Instrumental" box set by Brian Eno. These tracks (tracks 5, 7, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25) on the director's edition are identical to those on "More Music For Films".<BR>
<BR>
So there's really 7 tracks that most of us are hearing for the first time. I'll add brief comments about these tracks ... including the incorrect titles listed on "More Music For Films".<BR>
<BR>
i) "Deep Waters" is not shown on the "More Music For Films" track list. However, it is included as track 4 and it's INCORRECTLY titled "Dark Waters".<BR>
<BR>
ii) "The Last Door" is an alternate version of "Spain". "Spain" on the director's edition was renamed "Aragon" on the regular edition.<BR>
<BR>
iii) "Dark Waters" is INCORRECTLY listed on "More Music For Films" as track 4. It's actually track 7 and it's INCORRECTLY titled "Northern Lights".<BR>
<BR>
iv) "Fuseli" was renamed "A Measured Room" on the regular edition. Also, "Fuseli" is the full version and it is slightly longer than "A Measured Room".<BR>
<BR>
v) "Melancholy Waltz" is somewhat of a surprise. When I first heard a bootleg of the director's edition, I felt the use of a mandolin was so out-of-place for Brian Eno ... who sure knows how to surprise all of us fans.<BR>
<BR>
vi) "Northern Lights" was renamed "Quartz" on the regular edition. "Northern Lights" is INCORRECTLY listed on "More Music For Films" as track 7 and it's actually track 8 which is INCORRECTLY titled "From The Coast".<BR>
<BR>
vii) "Shell" is a true ambient gem. I believe that it was used in the "Sebastiane" soundtrack ... although I'm kind of reluctant to sit through another viewing of this cult classic just to confirm this.<BR>
<BR>
If you're still reading, I really want to thank you for bearing with me. It took me awhile to sort through the above mistakes on the "More Music For Films" track listing which SHOULD BE as follows:<BR>
<BR>
1. Untitled<BR>
2. The Last Door<BR>
3. Chemin De Fer<BR>
4. DEEP WATERS !!!!<BR>
5. Fuseli<BR>
6. Melancholy Waltz<BR>
7. DARK WATERS !!!!<BR>
8. NORTHERN LIGHTS !!!! <BR>
9. Shell<BR>
10. Empty Landscape<BR>
11. Reactor<BR>
12. The Secret<BR>
13. Don't Look Back<BR>
14. Marseilles<BR>
15. The Dove<BR>
16. Roman Twilight<BR>
17. Dawn, Marshland<BR>
18. APPROACHING TAIDU !!!!<BR>
19. Drift Study<BR>
20. Approaching Taidu<BR>
21. Always Returning (II)<BR>
<BR>
I personally feel that the mistakes in the track listing can be easily corrected through a simple reprinting. However, the double inclusion of "Approaching Taidu" will take a bit longer to sort out and I doubt that this can be done in time for the Japanese release of "More Music For Films".<BR>
<BR>
Finally, I feel that Virgin Records should have re-released both "Music For Films" and "Apollo - Atmospheres & Soundtracks" as double CD sets. I'm sure all of us would prefer hearing the director's editions of both "Music For Films" and "Music For Films II" ... even though quite a few tracks are excerpts ... rather than getting a stripped down version called "More Music For Films" which is hastily and incorrectly assembled.<BR>
<BR>
That's all for now. Warmest thanks again for your uncanny ears and infinite dedication to all things Eno.<BR>
<BR>
Have a peaceful new week!<BR>
<BR>
Aloha, Robert Phan.<BR>