Welcome Guest!
 Nervenet
Eno talk with Hillis in LA quite interesting  Eleven Shadows
 Apr 26, 2005 11:07 PDT

Met up with one of our NerveNet participants, Tim, as well as Larry, the drummer from my band.

Eno and Hillis used Einstein, the current exhibit at the Skirball Center as a launching point for an interesting discussion that covered the perception of history in art and science, creativity and invention in the arts and science, the idea of a new "era" in thought or new invention often being the crossroads of two seemingly divergent ideas, the Long Now organization, the perception of time, and many other interesting topics.

Eno mentioned attending an exhibit that in Toronto that showed only "good things" - things that people were doing for the good of others (teaching people to farm in other countries, etc.), and said that he came out of there rethinking what it was he has accomplished, and what he wants to do.

He also mentioned working on music with Herbie Hancock (no, he played no music samples of this, and didn't reveal any information about a release) and choosing phrases for the basis of song ideas that Hancock would not have ordinarily chosen, thus illustrating one of the benefits of collaboration.

Both Eno and Hillis were interesting, engaging, philosophical, and humorous speakers, as we would expect, and the evening was thoroughly enjoyable.

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar